• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop: Nintendo Switch Selling out in hours not days (Mario Kart Launch info)

BiggNife

Lttp for this thread, but anectdotal evidence at local Target show's this problem. A few displays filled full of MK8D and zero Switches.

I've had Switch since launch and went all digital so a physical copy of MK8D won't mean much to me.

Honestly I think people who can't find physical copies of MK8DX will just buy digital. That's what I did because I'm not going to wait a month for Amazon to restock.

qko

Easy there.

You are talking about the Switch doing Xbox One numbers or even perhaps more. I think it will sell comparatively with Xbox One or a bit more than Xbox One.

But it won't be more than that, in my opinion. Its best to wait until August to see its sales base.

Easy there Joel,

Moving goalposts isn't the most convincing argument. Many folks like you were saying "wait til the second month, so many Wii U's returned on the second month" now it's "wait til August" then it'll be "Wait til the holidays" then "wait til the second holiday", then "well, its more comparable to a portable, so you can't compare it to home console numbers".

The Switch is selling well, even a Wii U port with little to no upgrades is selling well. There is no point in arguing with folks like you who probably think the Wii and DS were failures.

boiled goose

good with gravy
This is like saying Smash or Mario Kart games are core games.

Splatoon, smash, and Mario kart are all "core" games.

They are complex games that only people with some familiarity of gaming can really play.

Non gamer moms and grandpa's can't really play these. If all it takes is mass appeal then Minecraft, fifa, and gta are all casual.

Accessibility is not core vs casual. It's generally just good design.

Casual games are wii sports, 12 switch, picross, just dance, tetris, etc.

The more abstraction in inputs and design, the less casual. Apart from some limited motion inputs, smash, kart, splatoon have inputs that are complete abstract, just like any other core game.

Arkam

I have had so many friends ask me if I know where to get a switch in the last week. I told them to get one at launch... they didnt listen. Hope they are at least readily available in time for xmas for all them kiddies.

tsundoku

Wait people are buying scalped switches? The best 2 games are available on Wii U and PS 4.
Its nice to have them both on the switch but jeez

They are complex games that only people with some familiarity of gaming can really play.

Non gamer moms and grandpa's can't really play these. If all it takes is mass appeal then Minecraft, fifa, and gta are all casual.

The more abstraction in inputs and design, the less casual. Apart from some limited motion inputs, smash, kart, splatoon have inputs that are complete abstract, just like any other core game.

On the new Mario Kart, it you have all the aids on it literally plays itself.

El Odio

Banned
Did you order from Amazon? Their "Ships in 1 to 2 months" estimate is usually bogus. You'll probably have it in a week or so.
I didn't believe it either and put a copy in my cart that wouldn't get here till the 17th earliest if I pulled the trigger. Absolutely nuts.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Since when was Minecraft not casual and yes gamer moms can play mario kart it's not rocket science.

ajjow

Its too soon to say Switch will be a master success, but its time to recognize it wont flop like Wii U.

They have a good flow of games until august. I believe they still have some big games for october and november besides mario odissey and xenoblade 2.

This thing will have 18 millions units until July of 2018.

The real question is: NVidia is happy with this?! Have they achieved salvation for their mobile hardware?! Whats next for portable gaming?! Will this affect apple?!

gogogow

Its too soon to say Switch will be a master success, but its time to recognize it wont flop like Wii U.

They have a good flow of games until august. I believe they still have some big games for october and november besides mario odissey and xenoblade 2.

This thing will have 18 millions units until July of 2018.

The real question is: NVidia is happy with this?! Have they achieved salvation for their mobile hardware?! Whats next for portable gaming?! Will this affect apple?!

Of course they are, AFAIK they have never ever sold 2.7+m Tegra chips in a single month for a single device. Pretty sure this is Nvidia's biggest Tegra success. And Nintendo will be securing tens of millions of more chips in the coming months to years. The Switch successor will also be using Nvidia chips.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
You know the Nintendo Switch is a huge success when you see lots of upset posts trying to downplay it, such as the scalper excuse.

Otnopolit

Honestly I think people who can't find physical copies of MK8DX will just buy digital. That's what I did because I'm not going to wait a month for Amazon to restock.

Precisely, I didn't want to wait, had an Amazon gift card, so I just got a code and voila. This SD card is paying off.

I didn't believe it either and put a copy in my cart that wouldn't get here till the 17th earliest if I pulled the trigger. Absolutely nuts.

Like I said, those estimates are usually bogus. It'll probably get shipped much earlier.

That said, this is Mario Kart, so who knows. Probably a ton of people are on the waiting list at this point.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

I don't get why Amazon won't be restocked until June. Seems like it's widely available at other retailers.

Sizzel

I am pretty encouraged by this news. I hear and see no non gaf buzz( i am in the wrong age demo I think to hear and see Switch, as this seems to broadly appeal to kids and teens) about the switch, but as long as someone is buying them en masse or at least draining supplied stock, that is good news. more units sold=moreproft for games made for the platform=more games= Metroid.

It is still too early for any side to call the race, but I am less skeptical as time goes on. I was just at a family bday for a 6 year old and she is gaga about Pokemon -they got her a 3ds with sun and moon, but that could have easily been a Switch with a Pokemon game if one had been available.

Zia

Sorry Yacht Club/Sumo but MK8D has come to take its rightful place. You're third place at best now.

Also, Shovel Knight is great most anywhere, not just on PS4. XB1 has exclusive content as well and the Steam ver has Steam-centric extras.

Snake Pass is just okay.

TheFatMan

lets make a small calculation:

Producing 20 when you can only sell 15 in a giber period means that you have 5 million consoles not paid for. Lets say Switch costs 200 to make. That means tou pay 1 billion upfront for manifacturing and pay extra for a lot of excessive stock costs. You also lose the flexibility of making special budles or ship with updated software roms on those consoles. So in short, have 5 million left over in stock is a horrendious business decision.

I would agree if you dispose of the fact that these are consoles.

Every console you sell you can add a couple more hundred in accessories and games. People don't buy those things unless they have the console.

Shortages are stupid and cost companies money. They will sell the consoles eventually if they over produce. Let's face it, Zelda's sales were capped by the shitty production count on the Switch.

VanWinkle

I haven't sold a single copy of MK8D yet (I work in electronics at Walmart). I'm actually really surprised. We just have a stack of them there waiting to be purchased.

Of course, we NEVER have Switches, which doesn't help.

Fred-87

Since when was Minecraft not casual and yes gamer moms can play mario kart it's not rocket science.

No.... do you even have casual friends/relatives? I have seen time and time again that non-gamers have a hard time and really have to learn mario kart.The switch version seems to make it easier with the aiding. But it never was a casual game. Just a game what appealed to casuals because of the colors and fun

Crom

Wait people are buying scalped switches? The best 2 games are available on Wii U and PS 4.

So you are saying that instead of buying 2 consoles to get these games people could just buy a Switch instead? No wonder the Switch is off to a great start.

ggx2ac

You know the Nintendo Switch is a huge success when you see lots of upset posts trying to downplay it, such as the scalper excuse.

I remember reading the thread where NoA announced the 100% attach rate of Zelda and 900k Switch consoles launched that at the end of the thread there was someone downplaying it by saying it launched well because Nintendo handhelds always do well.

We're talking a $300 handheld then that's probably going to do what 3DS couldn't, sell at a high price without getting a huge price cut 6 months after launch.

Bomberman R is available on Wii U or PS4?

I've come close to buying a Switch from an Amazon Third-Party. I decided to tough it out though. I'm also not going to wait til the holidays like originally planned. July-October will probably be optimal for availability. Given that the switch is a hot item, I could see it potentially having stocking issues during its first holiday season.

Cerium

Bomberman R is available on Wii U or PS4?

I've come close to buying a Switch from an Amazon Third-Party. I decided to tough it out though. I'm also not going to wait til the holidays like originally planned. July-October will probably be optimal for availability. Given that the switch is a hot item, I could see it potentially having stocking issues during its first holiday season.
July is Splatoon Month and we don't fully know yet what's planned for the later half of the year. I would say late May or June would be the safest lull.

_Clash_

July is Splatoon Month and we don't know yet what's planned for October (could even be Pokemon). I would say late May or June would be the safest lull.

Minecraft will appeal and move hardware IMO

Could surprise people that the drop off is minimal. Although I'm sure the supply chain would appreciate a down month

Neonep

The sales / units sold number for April and for May will truly tell if it is really selling crazy or if Nintendo undershipped. I've seen a few at the stores myself.

Cerium

Minecraft will appeal and move hardware IMO

Could surprise people that the drop off is minimal. Although I'm sure the supply chain would appreciate a down month

Kids tend to buy Minecraft at retail so while it'll sell well I'm not convinced it'll bump hardware too hard on the eShop.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
"But X game is on WiiU!"

What kind of person is gonna go out and buy a WiiU right now?

On the new Mario Kart, it you have all the aids on it literally plays itself.
You're not going to win that way. Nice that you're using a feature meant for young children or those with physical handicaps to prove some bullshit console warrior point.

Come join a 200CC GAF tourney and see how casual Mario Kart is.

Toni

Easy there Joel,

Moving goalposts isn't the most convincing argument. Many folks like you were saying "wait til the second month, so many Wii U's returned on the second month" now it's "wait til August" then it'll be "Wait til the holidays" then "wait til the second holiday", then "well, its more comparable to a portable, so you can't compare it to home console numbers".

The Switch is selling well, even a Wii U port with little to no upgrades is selling well. There is no point in arguing with folks like you who probably think the Wii and DS were failures.

This the kind of respond you give when your super salty. You even put it in the top of your post and everything.

So why are you salty about? I wrote my previous post with realistic perceptions of how usually console sales go. I even said it will do Xbox One numbers or even better (which is no small feat) based on how its currently selling. And that was an extremely humble prediction considering the console Nintendo is coming from (Wii U that only sold 12 million lifetime). Never in my post did I discredited the Switch. And never did I said Wii or DS were failures.

I think what you wanted to hear is that it will sell PS4 numbers, which is unrealistic and will saltily come for for anyone who disagrees.

And btw, next time you feeling spicy, never put words into another persons's mouth to strengthen your argument. Its petty.

Pro-tip for future reference. 👍

Kicko

"But X game is on WiiU!"

What kind of person is gonna go out and buy a WiiU right now?

A special kind of Nintendo hater. I know a guy who bought a Wii U simply to play Zelda and he has no intention of purchasing a Switch. He has avoided the Wii U ever since it's release because of his allegiance to another company that will remain nameless. Now that the Wii U is a 'dead' system and poses no sales threat he felt safe enough to buy it for that ONE game. It makes absolutely no sense, but I surmise that's how he's operating.

Yes. This.

The people expecting third party games crack me up too. MAYBE the reason third parties arent there is that there are almost 100 million xbones and ps4 already sold. Why would a third party make games for a platform that has 1 or 2 percent of the install base and historically doesnt give 2 shits about third parties? Besides the fact that modern games cant be ported to the switch. The big announced third party game is skyrim!

Personally i find nintendo baffling. They should just make their incredible software for playstation. They are so stuck in their ways and seemingly ok with taking the money people will give them instead of trying anything new and potentially making much more.

Nice, how you had to mislead and combine the PS4 + Xbox One total sales to make the number seem a lot more attractive than it actually is (26mil sales according to data reported from Gamespot back in January). This is a rather hypocritical stance to take when it doesn't follow your logic. Why would third parties care to invest in Xbox One when their userbase is significantly smaller than the PS4? You might as well just remain a PS4 dev as you have a better chance of hitting sales. And here you are, lumping them both together without context because 100mil sounds better than separating the consoles and giving a more detailed look.

And then you end it with the boring take "Nintendo should just go third party!" When has going third party been beneficial ever? You complain about BOTW being "safe", but you disregard how safe third party games are in general (due to wanting to chase sales)? Sega was never the same after they went third party and developed a lot of mediocre games with a few gems here and there. Nintendo would be the exact same. They would be chasing demographics and dollars instead of making good games.

Nah I'll stick around. I like discussing video game business.

What I meant by 'take the money people will give them' in my original post is that they are willing to leave money on the table due to restrictions in their supply/production chain. That wasnt worded well, I was on my phone and didnt go back and reword it. To me, Nintendo has such a short sighted view on their business and it drives me crazy. They make very few concessions to reaching new fans, and when someone is potentially interested in one of their consoles its such a pain to find one. I'm past the point in my life where I'm going to go stand in line for a console, or spend time refreshing amazon hoping for a restock.

I understand that the switch will be supply constrained at launch. I'm referring also to the 3ds/nes mini at christmas. I was willing to buy 3 of 3ds's, but despite a fair amount of effort could not find one. Nintendo doesn't consider that they could gain new customers that will buy software and accessories, and might even be more interested in a switch if they got back in with nintendo on the 3ds. No. 3ds was impossible to find and they lost out on that money +games+accessories for me and my neice and nephew plus they pissed me off.

The actual games are another issue for me. I will freely admit nintendo makes awesome games. I understand why nintendo makes their own console (not having to pay a platform commision to sony and microsoft). I get it. I think its dumb. You're stuck with another console that is underpowered compared to the competition and severely lacking in third party games to play. Buying a console for the handful of nintendo games that come out in a year is just not appealing to me.

I also think the games themselves, while well-made, are so safe. I'm sure BotW is great, but jesus fucking christ, i played ocarina of time when i was 12. I'm not buying a new console for that. Arms, mario kart, smash, mario. None of those are worth a new console, especially when those are really the majority of games that are available to play. Arent smash and mario kart just ports of the wii u versions anyway? There's indie games though!!! I've got a beefy pc and a ps4. I don't need another indie machine.

I can already hear the BotW defense force incoming. I'm not dismissing it outright. It got a 97 or whatever metacritic for a reason. Its not going to sell ME a system. I've played zelda for 25 years. I want something new. They did a bunch of cool things with it sure, but at the end of the day its still zelda...

I think my overall point and sort of where everything i've said leads is that Nintendo caters to their fans. That's fine. From all accounts the switch is a pretty cool console. But they do nothing for people that aren't fans.

All that said, I'm super curious what retro is working on. If its a platformer... well i'm out for sure. If its something interesting like metroid prime, they will have my interest.

I love your comments on Zelda considering you haven't played the damn thing.

Top Bottom