• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

demidar

Thank god it's coming to Australia, I don't want to fiddle around with multiple 3DSs. Won't have English VOs but that's better than nothing I suppose.

Lusankya

Anyone knows how big the game is?

a friend is willing to lend me his Vita for this game, and I'd buy it with my PSN account, is the whole "one account per Vita" going to stop me? I obviously don't want to delete my friend's stuff but I want to use my account.

In that case you either need your own memory card or you have to make a backup of his files.

creid

I usually think reposting is obnoxious, but I feel like there's probably someone in this thread who can answer this question. The environment textures in the Vita demo didn't look right - like they were really intended for the 3DS screen & resolution. Is it the same for the rest of the game, or is the demo just a bad example of how the rest of the game looks on Vita?

I didn't love the controls either, but I doubt the controls feel any different in the rest of the game.

Vibed

I usually think reposting is obnoxious, but I feel like there's probably someone in this thread who can answer this question. The environment textures in the Vita demo didn't look right - like they were really intended for the 3DS screen & resolution. Is it the same for the rest of the game, or is the demo just a bad example of how the rest of the game looks on Vita?

I didn't love the controls either, but I doubt the controls feel any different in the rest of the game.

I'm pretty sure the rest of the game is like that. The game was developed with the 3DS as the baseline.

I just finished 999 true ending today and can't wait for this! It's rare for a game to drag me in with its story like 999 did, such a great experience.

Clott

I just finished 999 true ending today and can't wait for this! It's rare for a game to drag me in with its story like 999 did, such a great experience.

I was blown away the first time I went through it.

Glad you didn't have to wait a year like the rest of us to experience the rest of it.

999 was, even if it was more like a visual novel, one of my most amazing gaming experiences. btween the clever use of DS hardware (won't say more for spoilerish reasons), the story, the implications... The story had multiple levels, including some theory about cognition and such. Truly amazing.

If this is just half good as 999 than it'll be a fantastic game.

mjc

So I blazed through one play through of 999 today, but I just went to wikipedia to read up on the true ending. I started into another play through and made it about two hours in before I stopped. I just couldn't stand the slow text speed anymore. Way too much slogging along just got to me.

I'm assuming that VLR is centered around a similar concept of multiple play throughs, but I REALLY hope there's no forced multiple play throughs to get to the true ending. Unless they've drastically changed how quickly you can fire through them.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
So I blazed through one play through of 999 today, but I just went to wikipedia to read up on the true ending. I started into another play through and made it about two hours in before I stopped. I just couldn't stand the slow text speed anymore. Way too much slogging along just got to me.
:(

Also there's a text skip option. The only parts you can't skip are new sections that you haven't seen on a previous playthrough.

Just noticed that Luna has has a little blue bird in a cage on her necklace. Maybe it "talks" to her in the game like it's been doing in these threads and she's a
Luna-tic
( ・´ー・`)

jschreier

I'm assuming that VLR is centered around a similar concept of multiple play throughs, but I REALLY hope there's no forced multiple play throughs to get to the true ending. Unless they've drastically changed how quickly you can fire through them.

Using spoiler tag just in case people don't want to know how the game is structured:

You get choices like you do in 999, but instead of playing through the whole game multiple times to see the results of each choice, you can jump back and start from those choice points again. It's sort of like Radiant Historia. Or a big tree where you can hop between the branches.

You can also skip through scenes you've seen already. And from what I've seen so far, you don't have to repeat puzzles multiple times like you did in 999.

There's a flowchart that lets you jump to any major decision.
The only reason you'd want to do multiple playthroughs of any puzzle would be for fun or to *VLR Spoiler*
complete all the puzzles on Hard mode to get the extra ending.
(At least, that's what I've heard you have to do. >.>)

Good call on that spoiler tag, jschreier. I didn't think to hide something like that. >.>

Lusankya

Good call on that spoiler tag, jschreier. I didn't think to hide something like that. >.>

These spoiler tags aren't really necessary. You're describing basic game mechanics which are listed on the official home page or in the manual.

If there really are people who consider these informations to be spoilers, then they would never ever take a look in a thread like this.

mjc

There's a flowchart that lets you jump to any major decision.
The only reason you'd want to do multiple playthroughs of any puzzle would be for fun or to *VLR Spoiler*
complete all the puzzles on Hard mode to get the extra ending.
(At least, that's what I've heard you have to do. >.>)

Yeah good calls on the spoiler tags.
That sounds much more streamlined. Very cool!

Without spoiling anything specific:

The game is designed quite a ways differently. Because you can jump to any point at anytime, there are no multiple play throughs so to speak. You have to get every single character ending to get the true route though, but that's because every route is interconnected in important ways. Not going to spoil how that's the case though.

Read at your own peril, but it's just stuff I've been saying since the JP release.

Also, I played on the Vita and really had no problem with it. That and taking screenshots of awesome moments made for a great experience.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So the Bunny Rabbit Zero is obviously based on Alice and Wonderland, but...

999 Ending Spoilers

I wonder if anyone at Chunsoft watched Donnie Darko, given the whole "multiple timeline" business going on in 999 like in DD.

Cheska

YAY! I love games that let you skip dialogue and scenes you've already played through :D Loved 999 so I'm eager to get this on my Vita.

For those who played through the JP version, who ended up being your favorite character?

Necrovex

I really need to power through Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story before this release. I know that I'll drop the game again if I don't finish it in time.

This game has been on a super blackout for me, so I haven't even seen any characters or story, but I will be playing the hell out of this. Will come back once I get inevitably stuck and need help.

I'm so hyped for this game, but I'm afraid that my knowledge of 999s twist and some knowledge I had going in (general educational stuff, not spoilers) actually ruined the core plot twist =\ Man I hope I'm wrong.

Ice Mage

Neo Member
Yesterday, my mind was blown when I re-watched the promo anime and realized the whole "cooperate/betray" thing is basically the Prisoner's Dilemma.

Wow, I'm slow. :p

Lusankya

Finally you can preorder Virtue's Last Reward on Amazon.de! \o/

It's weird that they list the release date as 25 January 2013 and that apparently the game will be in German. It would be kind of cool, but very strange if they'd really translate the game for Germany.

Mistle

Can't wait for the PAL release, so pumped.

The OP says the Europe voiceovers only have the option of Japanese.. That can't be right? Although unless the English voices are amazing (which is rare) I doubt I'd use them anyway.

Volcynika

Can't wait for the PAL release, so pumped.

The OP says the Europe voiceovers only have the option of Japanese.. That can't be right? Although unless the English voices are amazing (which is rare) I doubt I'd use them anyway.

Rising Star has already confirmed that only the JP dub will be available.

Mupod

Oh crap I told myself I'd go back and finish Ever17 before VLR came out. That release date snuck up on me. Well...I probably have time this weekend if I can tear myself away from XCOM.

Are they only selling this game digitally and through GameStop/Amazon? Or will you be able to pick it up from other retailers next week? (Specifically interested in Best Buy because of their Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale.)

GSR

Pah, mixup in scheduling means I'm leaving town next Friday earlier than I thought. Unless Amazon's shipping earlier than they say or UPS hits my part of town first that day, looks like I won't be getting my hands on VLR 'till the 29th.

Cheska

Is there an explanation as to why the Amazon orders say they wont arrive until the 29th? I have Prime and I'm still getting the notice it won't be in until a week later.

Toki767

Is there an explanation as to why the Amazon orders say they wont arrive until the 29th? I have Prime and I'm still getting the notice it won't be in until a week later.

I was wondering that too. I'm guessing they'll probably send it out earlier though.

Vlaphor

I almost feel guilty for getting the watch back when Aksys was selling was selling the extra stock on their website for $5.

Belisarius

Neo Member

This probably has to do with how Amazon's internal software calculates ship dates. When they don't actually have the product in their warehouses, it guestimates with a pretty wide margin (a week or two, I think), so you can get weird dates. Our releases generally have ship dates, which are distinct from the more traditional release date: The ship date (the 23rd, in this case) is the date that the game will leave our warehouse, on its way to whatever retailers have ordered it. Once they receive it, they ship it out. So you won't be getting the game on the 23rd unless you come down to our office (please don't), but you should be getting it long before the 29th.

GAF...I just scored the pre-order bonus watch after bidding on eBay!

I payed US $140.00 for it including the shipping.
Don't judge me! ;_;
wPKTr.gif

I almost feel guilty for getting the watch back when Aksys was selling was selling the extra stock on their website for $5.
You know that's a totally different, watch, right? We made a new, different one for VLR.

Top Bottom