• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

They still list my estimated delivery as the 29th. This GREATLY disappoints me.

Well hey, at least you have an estimated delivery! I had mine at 18th-25th, but then I messed with the shipping options to try and make sure I get it next Friday, but then It comes up with no estimated shipping date. I really hope I can get it by next Friday, cause I want a weekend to devote to it... :/

MechaX

Welp.

999 was one of the most surprisingly satisfying experiences I have ever encountered video game wise. My body is definitely ready for this sequel.

At least she has nipples in the right place... :)
Where are yours, Lotus?
tumblr_m2p6ckk9GP1r19q43.gif
Gravity can be harsh. Lotus isn't exactly a spring chicken you know.

jschreier

You’re not the first to say something like this, and quite frankly.....it blows my mind!

The writing is much better. One of the things I disliked about 999 was the sluggish, often over-the-top prose that made everything feel much slower than it should have felt. There's none of that here.

Volcynika

Forgot to mention, there will be a reviews section added when there are some released. Not sure when an embargo (if one exists) is up.

Also EXTREME jealousy of jschreier.

Lusankya

The writing is much better. One of the things I disliked about 999 was the sluggish, often over-the-top prose that made everything feel much slower than it should have felt. There's none of that here.

Do you mean the Japanese version or are you playing a review version of the game?

Edit: Already answered.

Alright, so who's everyone's favourite characters? (No spoilers, please!)

Mine's K because he's a gentleman and a scholar, plus he has an awesome voice and design.

Omikaru

As a writer, that was my major complaint about 999 too (still an excellent game, mind). I hope you're not wrong about this!

Either way, this is only going to make the wait for my import feel even longer. :(

Roubjon

Some of the prose was pretty tiresome. The actual plotting, characters and so on was very good. That said, it didn't significantly affect my enjoyment of the game, but I'd have done it differently.

Yeah, I felt the same way. It's good to hear VLR is apparently better.

Koroviev

Nice OP!

As an IQ whore, I have to add that the Vita version is running at 960x544 with 4xMSAA. Which is absolutely fantastic IQ.

The game really does look amazing on the Vita. I went into the demo rather skeptical, but the presentation alone sold me.

I am not too sure, but I think it was around 1 GB.

If you see the full story you'll get every achievement. You need to get all of the secrets and play the game on hard mode to see everything.

That's actually a very reasonable size. Is the game going to be $36 or $40 on PSN?

Letep

Vita version here.

Although I'd like to have it on 3DS to match up with my copy of 999.

Vita version preordered on Amazon though, with the watch bonus.

Dilemma.

Nekobo

Subscribed!

I have the watch and Vita version pre-ordered. Looking forward to playing it on dat OLED. Sad about the lack of an instruction manual, tho. :(

Sell spare 3DS manuals, Aksys!

Belisarius

Neo Member
Edit: Wait, Ben, if you're reading this, did you say that the English script and Japanese voice would diverge considerably? I imagine that technical terms would differ a lot because it couldn't be helped.

That's a little hard to quantify. Most of the "technical" or scientific terms they use don't differ a whole lot because they're referring to established concepts that have terms in English (or sometimes they're just using the English term in Japanese.) There are a few game-specific terms and names that we changed for several different reasons, such as: They sound silly in English, they rely on sounds/wordplay that doesn't work in English, they tie into the plot in ways that won't work (in English) unless we change them, etc. The stuff that diverges the most is probably the jokes, which frequently just don't translate at all. There's one, for instance, that revolves around confusing a train pass with a watermelon (yes) that I had to completely re-write because the direct translation was utterly nonsensical. Most of the major divergences are going to be for that reason. Others are minor things like not using names in lines (Japanese writers like to have characters refer to each other by name all the time, but it sounds hella awkward in English), or shuffling the order of information in a set of lines around a bit so it feels better in English.

I feel a little bit this way too due to some of the spoilers I've seen. Can't wait to see people get (padded to stop any guesses)
___Tenmyouji___
's ending.

If it's what I accidentally spoiled myself, then I'm like you too. As soon as I get the game going for that ending is gonna be my first priority D:

JeTmAn81

With Dark Souls DLC, Professor Layton and this out next week it's going to be rough getting through everything in a timely fashion!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That's a little hard to quantify. Most of the "technical" or scientific terms they use don't differ a whole lot because they're referring to established concepts that have terms in English (or sometimes they're just using the English term in Japanese.) There are a few game-specific terms and names that we changed for several different reasons, such as: They sound silly in English, they rely on sounds/wordplay that doesn't work in English, they tie into the plot in ways that won't work (in English) unless we change them, etc. The stuff that diverges the most is probably the jokes, which frequently just don't translate at all. There's one, for instance, that revolves around confusing a train pass with a watermelon (yes) that I had to completely re-write because the direct translation was utterly nonsensical. Most of the major divergences are going to be for that reason. Others are minor things like not using names in lines (Japanese writers like to have characters refer to each other by name all the time, but it sounds hella awkward in English), or shuffling the order of information in a set of lines around a bit so it feels better in English.
Thanks for answering so thoroughly. So if I play it with the Japanese voice cast, most of the differences'll be in (predictably) jokes and in-game stuff. The other things like name usage and info order sound like standard order when it comes to localization. That doesn't sound too bad, then. I was thinking that the differences would be really jarring when comparing the Japanese to the English.

Ahh, I didn't even look to see if he had one because I knew that was our insert into the world.
Just in the OVA, though. Likely not voiced in-game because of immersion and first person perspective. Maybe a good thing because then I'd feel like I'd be listening to Yuri Lowell or Hajime Saito (the Hakuoki version).

Pharros said:
I hope this game isn't hard to find at retail in Canada... So close now.
Rule of thumb: preorder Atlus's/XSEED's/Aksys's/etc games so you won't have to import from the States later on should it have a minimal print run.

jschreier

3DS or Vita?

I'm playing on Vita! I haven't tried the 3DS version yet, but I really like the bigger display, although the touchscreen sometimes doesn't work the way I want it to work. But still, no sleep, etc. The other night I was playing til like 2:30am and I got up to go charge my Vita before bed and I swear to god I saw a demonic bunny in my window.

Anyone knows how big the game is?

a friend is willing to lend me his Vita for this game, and I'd buy it with my PSN account, is the whole "one account per Vita" going to stop me? I obviously don't want to delete my friend's stuff but I want to use my account.

Top Bottom