• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Reuters) Sony's Vita arrives just as market may be fading

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
I love all these doom and gloom topics :)

I have an IPhone, my mates got an Ipad, I've got a 3DS......so according to 'some people' i shouldn't be enjoying my Vita as i already have all the bases covered. How wrong can people be.

I have an IPhone, my mates got an Ipad, I've got a 3DS......so according to 'some people' i shouldn't be enjoying my Vita as i already have all the bases covered. How wrong can people be.

Yea, that's what people are saying. You = broad consumer base.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Um... no one's saying that.

I think there's a fundamental difference between wanting a product to do well and believing it should inherently be successful (a sentiment I see from time to time). The claims that $250 is a "good deal for what you get" are so silly. What you get? You mean the hardware? It implies that people will look at what's under the hood and come to the conclusion that it's something they should buy.

But that's just not how the majority of the market works. Everything comes down to perceived value in relation to software, not hardware. People don't pay $500 and $200+monthly fees in order to play $0.99 games on their ipads and iphones. Trying to tie those two products to the vita is absolutely ludicrous. The value of those apple products is derived from the sum of its utility. Despite the multitude of multimedia functions, vita will ultimately be evaluated on its core video game software. Does it have software that a large portion of the market desires? It doesn't matter what you or I or any of us on gaf feels about the software lineup. It doesn't matter if everyone on gaf collectively feels it has the absolute best games ever created on any platform. Believing it has desirable games doesn't suddenly mean the rest of the market is going to agree, and ultimately it's going to be the desirability of those games that will determine the price value of the platform. Being a "good deal" to any of us here isn't going to make it a good deal for the rest of the gamers out there.

That's the biggest flaw in the asinine marketing campaign Sony has going right now. What is the point of Sony advertising to their base? Vita is being advertised to people who are already interested in the vita.

Like this.

Something else people are brushing over. As it is today the Vita is competing against its older brother, the PS3, for software dollars. Sony has priced its hardware and software at a point where a game purchased for the Vita means a game not purchased for the PS3.

Targeting existing PS3 owners seems like a lose, lose scenario to me.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
man there are a billion Vita units in every store I've been to. Vita is fucked imo. I was right about PS3 on this score way back when, I'm sure I'm right on this one too. Market has just moved on, with $169.99 handhelds or lower only viable option for dedicated handheld machines

Best handheld ever automatically (deniers labeled automatic fanboys), but as usual the mass market is full of pieces of shit and they don't know a good handheld if it unzipped their pants, turned into Monica Bellucci and blew them like a supersonic vacuum cleaner.

How much does the 3DS cost?

LosDaddie

Banned
I don't know what's more humbling for Sony fans: the fact that their latest high-priced toy is subjected to these scathing articles, or the fact that referencing the success of the Vita's main competitor is the only means by which to invalidate said articles.

:lol Damn...

For these and other reasons, this article comes off as nothing more than a doomsday opinion of someone who I consider to be a far different gamer than me. I simply cannot see how a PS3 owner, let alone other console owners, will ignore this system.

The tech is definitely interesting, but I don't want to play console games on the go. I've looked at the PSV's launch/near-launch games and there's nothing I'd want to play on the go. Plus, I definitely don't want to carry anything more in my pockets, either, especially nothing the size of the PSV.

This is probably why I'm only halfway done with SM3DLand. Shame, because I really enjoy SM3D. And I only picked up a 3DS because my DSLite was broke. Portable gaming to me really is those quick iOS games that I can play when I have a free minute here & there.

:lol Damn...

The tech is definitely interesting, but I don't want to play console games on the go. I've looked at the PSV's launch/near-launch games and there's nothing I'd want to play on the go. Plus, I definitely don't want to carry anything more in my pockets, either, especially nothing the size of the PSV.

This is probably why I'm only halfway done with SM3DLand. Shame, because I really enjoy SM3D. And I only picked up a 3DS because my DSLite was broke. Portable gaming to me really is those quick iOS games that I can play when I have a free minute here & there.

Warning. Charlequin is in bound to make fun of your "skinny jeans."

Vinci

Danish
There is no default rule that handhelds have to be $169 or less to sell. That's not how people make decisions. People see a product, decide if they like what it offers them relative to other options, and then compare how much they want it to its asking price. It's not strictly based on market or category, but on how well the product complements what they want to do.

People who had 0 willingness to pay for a games console nonetheless ran out and paid over $400 for a Wii, Mario Kart, and Wii Fit. People never would have imagined they would be willing to pay hundreds of dollars for a cellphone years back.

This is simple: The 3DS was not worth $249. Nintendo priced it incorrectly due to inaccurate estimates of people's willingness to pay for such a device. This doesn't mean that a $249 handheld could never be successful, just that the 3DS and likely Vita cannot command that sort of price tag.

le.phat

i dunno, me and 6 other friends picked up a vita over the last 2 days, and we all have an iphone 4, while 3 mates have iphones and ipads. Every single one of us sees gaming on the iphone as something you do while on the shitter. The vita has every right to excist and offers so much that the idevices cannot, and vice versa. I honestly think that the mobile gaming market is exactly that. a new market that thrives without eating the handheld market's piece of the pie.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I think some of you are overlooking the fact the Vita has connectedness to the PS3 that may now allow people to get more use out of a handheld and maybe take it with them. Yes, it is early, but I think comparing the Vita to 3DS and PSP and saying it will not grab hold in a portable state is premature. Anecdotal evidence , but according to Near, I have 9 vita users within a 5 mile radius of me and I live in a more remote area. Initially, that seems promising.

Same here, I've NEVER seen a handheld being used on a bus or train at all.
Edit: although I do see iphones being used.

I used to see DSs at airports, psps occasionally as well. Circa 2007.

i dunno, me and 6 other friends picked up a vita over the last 2 days, and we all have an iphone 4, while 3 mates have iphones and ipads. Every single one of us sees gaming on the iphone as something you do while on the shitter. The vita has every right to excist and offers so much that the idevices cannot, and vice versa. I honestly think that the mobile gaming market is exactly that. a new market that thrives without eating the handheld market's piece of the pie.

When do you play the vita?

I think some of you are overlooking the fact the Vita has connectedness to the PS3 that may now allow people to get more use out of a handheld and maybe take it with them. Yes, it is early, but I think comparing the Vita to 3DS and PSP and saying it will not grab hold in a portable state is premature. Anecdotal evidence , but according to Near, I have 9 vita users within a 5 mile radius of me and I live in a more remote area. Initially, that seems promising.

Yep, Near reports around 7 people within two mile radius and I live in Spokane, WA in an area where you wouldn't expect too many people being a day one buyer of the Vita.

jman2050

Exactly how many PS3 owners do you expect to get a Vita for this purpose?

That ps3 connectivity is interesting if/when games start coming out in combo packages with vita and ps3 copies.

I'm pretty sure only a minority of people would pick up the same game twice at full price.

Maybe diehard sports games fans, but that's about it.

I'm pretty sure wii U and 3ds will have some connectivity as well...

No1 really has done connectivity well yet =/

DenogginizerOS

Don't have a clue. I did. Friends of mine did. Only time will tell.

As for games coming out in bundles, there are PSN titles available that work on both systems. There have been rumors of an MLB bundle. Sony has certainly integrated new features to their online services that work with PS3 users.

Tobor

I live in downtown Richmond VA in an area with a lot younger college students, and there was only one person on my Near chart. So yeah, anecdotal is anecdotal.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I live in downtown Richmond VA in an area with a lot younger college students, and there was only one person on my Near chart. So yeah, anecdotal is anecdotal.

While I do believe that Vita will struggle, at least initially, my position is that it has more to do with Sony shortcomings and Nintendo position in the handheld market than with the prevailing narrative of "Apple killed everything!".

Tobor

While I do believe that Vita will struggle, at least initially, my position has more to do with Sony shortcomings and Nintendo position in the handheld market than with the prevailing narrative of "Apple killed everything!".

I'm just saying that blips on a Near chart aren't really going to tell us anything.

DenogginizerOS

I ask because the country isn't exactly flooded to the brim with PS3 owners in the first place.

Are you suggesting that the PS3s userbase is holding the Vita's success back? What number of systems in America would you say it would take to make my argument about the Vita's connectedness to PS3 being a significant factor in its success? I am pretty sure there are at least 10 million ps3s in America.

theBishop

Banned
It would be sweet as hell if Vita got an OnLive client. just saying...

As for the ongoing smartphone debate, it just seems like analyst groupthink. I play smartphone games, and I bought a Vita. Smartphones are nowhere near delivering Uncharted or Unit 13 on the go. Very few games on the phone even have decent multiplayer. And I don't see a solution to the touch screen issue. You can definitely design good touch-only games, but free-look is still a no go after many years.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I like how the article completely ignores the fact that the 3DS has done extremely well due to a price cut and solid releases.

No doubt the Vita is going to have a rough start, but people need to stop over exaggerating the fact that dedicated handhelds are dead and smartphones have some sort of imaginary throne.

jman2050

Are you suggesting that the PS3s userbase is holding the Vita's success back?

How could you possibly extrapolate that from my reply to your one very specific and narrow conjecture?

What number of systems in America would you say it would take to make my argument about the Vita's connectedness to PS3 being a significant factor in its success? I am pretty sure there are at least 10 million ps3s in America.

I can't say for certain because your criteria is incredibly broad, but I'd suppose that it'd require a rather overwhelming number of PS3 owners out there for your hypothetical PS3 connectivity factor to hold any real weight against the host of other more immediate factors that may influence one's purchasing decision..

Put more simply, the PS3 ain't gonna save the Vita if it doesn't succeed on its own merits.

DenogginizerOS

Anyone play the iOS version of GTAIII? That alone helped solidify my decision to buy a Vita. Touchscreen joysticks and Dpads are far less useful and are a far greater compromise to a real stick (or in the case of Vita: 2 sticks)

TheNatural

My Member!
I'm just saying that blips on a Near chart aren't really going to tell us anything.

Nope but you know what does? Anectdotal evidence from fanatics telling everyone how great the features of the Vita are! How since they like them and dropped a minumum, $300 for a Vita and game (many north of that) right off the bat day one, that everyone else in the world thinks the exact same way and it's going to be a success.

It's 2004 all over again.

DenogginizerOS

How could you possibly extrapolate that from my reply to your one very specific and narrow conjecture?

I can't say for certain because your criteria is incredibly broad, but I'd suppose that it'd require a rather overwhelming number of PS3 owners out there for your hypothetical PS3 connectivity factor to hold any real weight against the host of other more immediate factors that may influence one's purchasing decision..

Put more simply, the PS3 ain't gonna save the Vita if it doesn't succeed on its own merits.

I was not extrapolating. I was clarifying. Presently, I know of examples of people buying Vitas for, among other reasons, more connectedness to their PS3. How much we represent consumers as a whole is unknown. However, amongst are small sample size, we all agree that getting a Vita to continue or extend our ps3 experience is a very good thing.

DiscoJer

Anyone play the iOS version of GTAIII? That alone helped solidify my decision to buy a Vita. Touchscreen joysticks and Dpads are far less useful and are a far greater compromise to a real stick (or in the case of Vita: 2 sticks)

Yeah, but does the Vita have GTA3? I know it has liberty city stories, but the PSN versions didn't work very well on the PSP at least (work fine from UMD, but bad stuttering problems with the PSN version, something that affects a lot of streaming games for some reason)

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member

Virtual buttons in general are horrible. I'm not super against cell phone gaming ... but I mean if you're going to do a cell phone game, swipes and tapping suit it better than virtual buttons would.

SmokyDave

No, I played Field Runners on PSP Mini and realised that touch controls were the future.

....I'm just fucking with ya, I'm great with any control system. Completed Dark Souls using a flight stick. Honest.

DenogginizerOS

Yeah, but does the Vita have GTA3? I know it has liberty city stories, but the PSN versions didn't work very well on the PSP at least (work fine from UMD, but bad stuttering problems with the PSN version, something that affects a lot of streaming games for some reason)

If Rockstar can get GTA3 on an iPhone, I am confident they will find a way to get a GTA on Vita if the system is successful.

jman2050

I was not extrapolating. I was clarifying. Presently, I know of examples of people buying Vitas for, among other reasons, more connectedness to their PS3. How much we represent consumers as a whole is unknown. However, amongst are small sample size, we all agree that getting a Vita to continue or extend our ps3 experience is a very good thing.

I don't really care what you or your friends think, because I don't think that's particularly relevant on a macro level to the Vita's prospects for success. Anecdotal evidence is worthless to me in this context.

DenogginizerOS

I don't really care what you or your friends think, because I don't think that's particularly relevant on a macro level to the Vita's prospects for success. Anecdotal evidence is worthless to me in this context.

So are gloom and doom articles written one day into a system launch.

jman2050

So are gloom and doom articles written one day into a system launch.

Well yeah, this article is trash. If the people writing these articles were actually writing in good faith they wouldn't be writing news articles, they'd actually be employed by someone in their area of expertise.

I think Sony's target market may be the only one outside the game industry that sees a need for a portable PS3 when the PS3 is still in those gamers homes.

If I didn't already own a PS3, or if I were planning to sell mine id think a $300 Vita would be a much greater "must" buy.

Right now it looks like an impulse purchase.

If SOny makes money on every unit sold I guess its worth the effort. I cant wait for sales numbers to start appearing.

It's true! Vita will sell more than 12 million units in 2012, bank on it!

At $180 ASP. I'm not saying it cannot happen, but chanches are very slim. I think Sony will let it be a slow burn. Somewhere next year, they'll put out a redesign with a better battery life, 4G premium model and cut to somewhere around $199/$249. Along with an established library it should do wonders to sales. I don't think they'll do it until at least Feb-March next year. The only thing I wouldn't rule out is a price cut in Japan, as that's the most important battleground, although I think even there, it's more realistic we'll get value added bundles.

BTW - I know you are being sarcastic, I just wanted to comment on the predictions.

Top Bottom