• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R*'s PATHETIC port job: Bully 360 freezing (among other glitches) [PATCH NOW OUT]

pilonv1

Three hours plus play on the PAL version with no freezes, no crashes and no frame rate problems (not locked but rarely drops below 30fps). Sounds like the NTSC testers didn't do their job (touchwood obviously!)

pilonv1 said:
Three hours plus play on the PAL version with no freezes, no crashes and no frame rate problems (not locked but rarely drops below 30fps). Sounds like the NTSC testers didn't do their job (touchwood obviously!)
What output do you have your console set to?

wsippel

Banned
speculawyer said:
Well WTF has Toronto done? Warriors but that was 3 years ago (2005) . . . and I've never been able to play my copy since it isn't BC on the 360. I gave my original xbox away.

What has R* Toronto been working on?!?!?!
The Wii versions of Manhunt 2 und Bully, according to Gamespot.

I have to say, having recently purchased the PS2 version of Bully that these freezing bugs are not new to the ports. Between my girlfriend and I, we've probably had 50-60 hours of playtime and about 4 or 5 freezes where the music will continue playing, but the game will stop responding. It's really a minor thing, provided you save often. (Seriously, get in the habit, the freezes are unpredictable.)

At any rate, it's a great game and I'd recommend it to anyone. A little loss in progress now and again is a small price to pay. If you don't want to risk the 360 version, it's only $20 on the PS2.

str8-h4x

Game just froze on me 3 times in fifteen minutes. No issues with other games. I'm taking this back.

This is bullshit.

wsippel said:
The Wii versions of Manhunt 2 und Bully, according to Gamespot.

I believe it, as the Wii version of Manhunt2, was also the superior one over the PS2 version...which I believe was half-done by Rockstar Vienna (who are now defunct)

Rayne.S said:
Take 2 and Rockstar have final responsibility in delivering a quality product... the dev is not to blame.
They're all the blame. And so is Microsoft, because they let shit like this slip through a LOT. It's astounding how bad their QA is.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
segasonic said:
sales -1

was really interested in this

FU Rockstar
FU MS certification

Yeah Im sure you will not be buying any new rockstar games soon huh?

Please keep your word and do not play Grand Theft Auto IV as Rockstar made it as well..

kinggroin

Banned
Wii version is rock solid from what little I played. Seems like a locked 30fps, and the visuals are nice and clean looking (played on a smallish CRT).

I think I may forego renting and just buy it instead (I'll need something to play in between Smash binges).

Sucks that the 360 version has these issues, but once I heard "Godfather controls" I knew which version I wanted to play most. Hopefully there's a patch released for the 360-only owners.

kinggroin said:
Wii version is rock solid from what little I played. Seems like a locked 30fps, and the visuals are nice and clean looking (played on a smallish CRT).

I think I may forego renting and just buy it instead (I'll need something to play in between Smash binges).

Sucks that the 360 version has these issues, but once I heard "Godfather controls" I knew which version I wanted to play most. Hopefully there's a patch released for the 360-only owners.

awesome to hear about visuals

....so are the controls rather good? ...how does the fistacuffs fair?

kinggroin

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
awesome to hear about visuals

....so are the controls rather good? ...how does the fistacuffs fair?

Don't know, all I did was run around the courtyard:D

I'll have the game by the end of the day, and if I get home with enough time before going to the gym, I'll give you guys detailed impressions of the game ;)

voltron

So there seems to be evidence to support a possible problem with certain outputs? I run 720p thru HDMI... any known issues?

Im really keen for this game and Ill likely still check it out anyway.

voltron said:
So there seems to be evidence to support a possible problem with certain outputs? I run 720p thru HDMI... any known issues?

Im really keen for this game and Ill likely still check it out anyway.

720p through HDMI is what i was using and I experienced a couple freezes in about 2-3 hours worth of play.

Haunted

AgentOtaku said:
yes...16:9, 480p, better color resolution/saturation, and a pretty much locked 30fps (IE better framerate then PS2 version)
Very nice, thanks for the heads up.

Wii version is the one to get, it seems.

edit: pilon sez the PAL 360 one also seems to be fine.

TheExodu5

Banned
A PS2 game can't even maintain 30fps on the 360? For shame R*.

The 360 shouldn't even break a sweat running this at 60fps.

TheExodu5 said:
A PS2 game can't even maintain 30fps on the 360? For shame R*.

The 360 shouldn't even break a sweat running this at 60fps.

Minimal effort, maximum profit. Seems to be the way things are going this generation, it seems...

A friend of mine bought the 360 version. I asked him how it was and he's also experiening freezing. :\

I was getting the Wii version anyway because of the controls (the graphics aren't much better in the 360 version, so that's not a buying point in my opinion).

The graphics should play a minimal role in your decision to purchase this game. The overall experience and character development is where it really shines. Too bad about the 360 version. I was really impressed by the color depth and visual clarity.

Played Bully for a good 2 to 3 hours last night and not one single freeze. Only minor issues I have with the game is the stuttery framerate at tims but its minor and not severe enough to be a killer. About the freezing, maybe some badly pressed discs went out. I will keep an eye out though for it. Just for future refrence I'm playing on a Elite 360.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
_leech_ said:
Minimal effort, maximum profit. Seems to be the way things are going this generation, it seems...

Yeah so the whole its costing us an arma and a leg to make these games new tools, new technologies etc, etc Price increases 10% game quality and production costs decrease 25%.. Sounds like a real reason for people to move to next gen...

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Shit. I was really looking forward to this too, played enough of the PS2 version to know I would love to see the rest of the game on 360.

The glitchy achievements bother me the most I believe, nothing more irritating. I played through the whole of Darkness last summer on Hard and never got the achievements for it when I finished thanks to a stupid bug.

jarrod

Banned
Eh... the bf's gonna be gutted. Got rid of the PS2 before he could play the original, he hates waggle (unless it's in short minigame bursts) so the Wii version's out and now the 360 version's a buggy mess!?

Patch asap plz! :(

Brandon F said:
Shit. I was really looking forward to this too, played enough of the PS2 version to know I would love to see the rest of the game on 360.

Well at least rent it. I was on the fence about it as well since having played almost half the game on PS2 but once I started playing it on the 360, I had no regrets. The visuals are really much improved imo. I'm falling in love with it all over again. I didn't even know there was freezing issues till I just saw it posted here on the GAF.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well at least rent it.

I'm renting the 360 version.

Hell, I rent most games. Many of my friends do as well. GAF often seems to have a 'buy-or-skip' mentality, but among many gamers renting is probably pretty popular.

Didn't believe you guys until I popped in my copy last night. Got to the first section just outside my 'room' and started fighting a bunch of dudes for the hell of it. Game freezes. wtf?

Patch please!!

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I'm renting the 360 version.

Hell, I rent most games. Many of my friends do as well. GAF often seems to have a 'buy-or-skip' mentality, but among many gamers renting is probably pretty popular.

Yeah I see nothing wrong with renting the game. I'm just curious if more people will have freezing or not. I know 2-3 hours isn't much in the span of a 20+ hour game but some of these people claim in freezing every 15 minute or so. I'm just like :O. Now I'm knocking on wood hoping its just bad discs going around and not every copy of the game. If it is every copy, well then damn, I've got like the best luck ever:lol

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Yeah I see nothing wrong with renting the game. I'm just curious if more people will have freezing or not. I know 2-3 hours isn't much in the span of a 20+ hour game but some of these people claim in freezing every 15 minute or so. I'm just like :O. Now I'm knocking on wood hoping its just bad discs going around and not every copy of the game. If it is every copy, well then damn, I've got like the best luck ever:lol

What's your tv set up? Component? 720p, etc?

GauntletFan said:
Didn't believe you guys until I popped in my copy last night. Got to the first section just outside my 'room' and started fighting a bunch of dudes for the hell of it. Game freezes. wtf?

Patch please!!

Man that sucks. Maybe we should start asking everyone thats having freezes where they got there games at, see if we can centralize this in case it is just bad discs going out. I've had so many fights already in Bully and no lock ups.

BenjaminBirdie said:
What's your tv set up? Component? 720p, etc?

Its HDMI and I beleive its at 1080p (although I will have to check, I know my PS3 is set to 1080p for sure so I might be getting them mixed up, if its not 1080p then its definetly 720p) I will double check tonight and confirm. If I get any freezes you guys will be the first to know.

Costanza

Banned
slasher_thrasher21 said:
Man that sucks. Maybe we should start asking everyone thats having freezes where they got there games at, see if we can centralize this in case it is just bad discs going out. I've had so many fights already in Bully and no lock ups.
Got mine at Best Buy.

bryehn

Wii version it is. Hell, maybe I'll just play the PS2 version for $15 instead. I was hoping this'd tide me over till GTA IV comes out...

anyone want to cross reference reviews for the 360 version and see if any of them mention this problem? ive always had a suspicion that most game `journalists` read the pr statement for a port like this and copy and paste the bullet points.

Costanza

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
I just emailed Kotaku. Hopefully that'll shake some info loose.
Yeah, great idea. Hopefully they pick up the story.. might be worth sending it around to some of the other sites too/submitting the thread to Digg.

edit:

who did the port of the 360 version?
Mad Doc Software

Top Bottom