• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic [Releasing Date: Dec 20 NA/EU - NDA Lifted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Billychu said:
It's a secret to nobody! And common sense. October seems the perfect time. They don't want it out in bloody November thats for sure.

Bloody November is right. TOR would get crushed.

bill0527

Morn said:
And I'm pretty sure Blizzard is well aware of it too. I wouldn't be surprised to see 4.3 with the War of the Ancients raid to release in WoW right towards the end of September or the week of October 4th.

No way. You give Blizzard too much credit. Blizzard will try to do something, but no way can they can they get a major content patch out in that time frame. It took them 7 months to get their first major content patch, and that was last week. No way can they pump out their next major content patch in 2-3 months.

CzarTim

Billychu said:
There's no way they spent that much.
Confused101 said:
Three quarters of a BILLION dollars? I heavily doubt they spent that much.
gatti-man said:
Jeez the rumoured amount keeps on increasing. People will be saying one beeeelion by launch.
Phaethon0017 said:
EA doesn't even have 775 million dollars.
EhArsl.jpg

Rflagg

MadraptorMan said:
NeoGAF NA guild should vote on PVP vs PVE too!

EDIT: nvm I see that we are discussing it, haha.
I doubt my vote will/would change anything, but I have been having a extremely hard time logging in since I changed my password so if I don't vote this is the reason.

Edit: nm seems to work when I use IE, but not chrome.

Fonds

bill0527 said:
No way. You give Blizzard too much credit. Blizzard will try to do something, but no way can they can they get a major content patch out in that time frame. It took them 7 months to get their first major content patch, and that was last week. No way can they pump out their next major content patch in 2-3 months.

Exactly. They would really upset a few people by having this content patch out for only such a short amount of time.

Especially the PvP fanatics. A pvp season thats only 2 months long is way too short. Besides that public test servers are up for long periods of time. They'd have to announce the content patch a week after they released a new one, and then get it up and running on test servers in about a month to get proper testing done.

Don't see that happening.

If Blizzard wants to get some of the attention away from a Bioware TOR launch they'd have to do it with some rock solid information about their next expansion at the upcoming Blizzcon in october.
If TOR is coming out early october Blizzard will have to "accidently" leak some information about it prior to blizzcon.

If blizzard wants to take a giant chunck of the attention away from the TOR launch, they'd have to show their upcoming MMO Titan.

Emitan

OK. OK. I think I've finally decided on playing as a Scoundrel. I don't know if I'm going to go healer or not but I will if the guild really needs one. I played a Monk for a while in Guild Wars so I've done it before.

CzarTim

Billychu said:
OK. OK. I think I've finally decided on playing as a Scoundrel. I don't know if I'm going to go healer or not but I will if the guild really needs one. I played a Monk for a while in Guild Wars so I've done it before.
I've never tanked before, so might try that with my troop.

Sigfodr

Morn said:
Most retailers have it pegged for October 4th. The leaked Origin release schedule places it BEFORE Battlefield 3, which is the end of October.

And I'm pretty sure Blizzard is well aware of it too. I wouldn't be surprised to see 4.3 with the War of the Ancients raid to release in WoW right towards the end of September or the week of October 4th.
Bioware can only hope for Blizzard to release a patch shortly before TOR hits shelves. After the last one, every single person I knew (personally) who played WoW dropped it in frustration. If TOR hit now, they would all be on it, and I'm sure that would be reflected throughout the community.

The 775 million thing is a Giant Bomb reference guys, ignore it.

I'm a little worried that the stuff that needs fixing won't get fixed in time for October, and if it releases in that state I can't see it lasting. Sorry, but that's just how the beta has left me feeling.

Don't get me wrong, there's great stuff in there. But it's not enough for me, and I don't think it'll be anywhere near enough for most (though perhaps not those who frequent GAF).

Yasae

Banned
From May 5th:
EA and BioWare's epic Star Wars MMO has come with an epic budget. Renowned video game analyst Michael Pachter of Wedbush Morgan estimates that the game's budget will exceed $80 million by the time it released.

In an interview with Gamasutra, Pachter said, "Given that the game was in development for over four years, with an estimated 200 full-time developers working on it, we estimate that EA’s investment exceeds $80 million."

He also stated that the company will likely spend $20 million more manufacturing, marketing, and distributing the game.

However, he remains optimistic that the game will be a money-maker for the company, stating that EA would be able to cover its direct operating costs back on a range of 350,000 to 500,000 paid subscribers. This number is fairly modest, considering Blizzard's World of Warcraft currently has more than 12 million subscribers.
And my initial estimate was:

Maybe I should become a pop financial analyst.

Morn

Banned
bill0527 said:

Huh? 4.1 was the first content patch with the Heroic 5 mans. 4.2 was last week.

Belfast

Morn said:
Huh? 4.1 was the first content patch with the Heroic 5 mans. 4.2 was last week.

4.1 REAALLLLY doesn't count. Especially considering they tossed it out as a gimme because they couldn't get what became 4.2 content out in a reasonable amount of time.

Belfast said:
4.1 REAALLLLY doesn't count. Especially considering they tossed it out as a gimme because they couldn't get what became 4.2 content out in a reasonable amount of time.
Yep. A lot of stuff in 4.2 was supposed to come out in 4.1 but it just wasn't ready.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I can't wait for info on a potential collector's edition. Put in the works. I'll drop up to $150 today. =D

antonz

Kintaro said:
I can't wait for info on a potential collector's edition. Put in the works. I'll drop up to $150 today. =D
Thats exactly where im at. Got a Tuition reimbursement check thats burning holes in my shorts. Need the CE to be announced to do away with the check

CzarTim

The fact that even the prospect of beta keys going out increased excitement level of this game by 300% proves Bioware needs to start releasing info at a greater rate. Once people found out there wasn't going to be a release date at e3, there's been a lull.

demolitio

I really need to play this to see how it's progressed from over a year ago. I'm jealous of those testing it right now as Jedis or Siths... :(

Morn

Banned
CzarTim said:
The fact that even the prospect of beta keys going out increased excitement level of this game by 300% proves Bioware needs to start releasing info at a greater rate. Once people found out there wasn't going to be a release date at e3, there's been a lull.

Beta keys are constantly going out to random people.

The debacle today is WHY there's a NDA on anything related to testing. All it took was one idiot starting a false rumor on twitter and it caused BioWare to have a very bad Sunday.

bjaelke

The Art and Making of The Old Republic book is coming out around mid-late October and Revan in mid-november, so I could see the game released in between those two dates. Still hoping for a late September, but that's merely because I've made a bet with a friend!
CzarTim said:
We wont get any information before Gamescom. They have Comic Con soon, but it will focus on different things. They're showing off a new flashpoint and possibly revealing the voice actors (they have a panel with reveals and guests).
Morn said:
I would assume that it was just to players who were known to be members of big MMO guilds. Most companies do that during testing to both test guild functionality and hopefully lure big guilds to the game.
(according to Twitter) BioWare are running the guilds themselves and have invited a bunch of people in-game to test the guild functions. Those people have then been awarded the buddy invitation.

Morn

Banned
bjaelke said:
The Art and Making of The Old Republic book is coming out around mid-late October and Revan in mid-november, so I could see the game released in between those two dates. Still hoping for a late September, but that's merely because I've made a bet with a friend!

Anyone who thinks it isn't being released in either October or November is kidding themselves, or hasn't paid attention to the numerous times since E3 that BioWare has stated that they're firm for a 2011 release.

From tie-in books like those to Lucasfilm's timing, they're going to release in just over two and a half months. The SW Blu-Rays come out in September, the third season of Clone Wars comes out in October, and the fourth season of Clone Wars starts in early October; they're going to release TOR to cash in on all the SW fanboys buying frenzy.

bjaelke

Morn said:
Anyone who thinks it isn't being released in either October or November is kidding themselves, or hasn't paid attention to the numerous times since E3 that BioWare has stated that they're firm for a 2011 release.

From tie-in books like those to Lucasfilm's timing, they're going to release in just over two and a half months. The SW Blu-Rays come out in September, the third season of Clone Wars comes out in October, and the fourth season of Clone Wars starts in early October; they're going to release TOR to cash in on all the SW fanboys buying frenzy.
Which is why I said September back when they announced the release date for the Blu Ray. EA also said at the May 4th conference call, that it would be more profitable to release the game in FYQ2 (July-September), but it got lost, because they also said the famous "outside possibility of a January launch."

Yaska

Well, nothing is announced yet, so lets hope for the best and hope it's October. Fall will be so expensive :( Star wars blu-rays etc. Poor wallet is just getting over Steam Summer Camp :(

Yaska

Billychu said:
Are the Star Wars blu rays the original theatrical releases or should I hold onto my VHS tapes?
Think they are the special edition, so hold on to your tapes.

Also Rockjaw tweeted around 8 hours ago confirming that there is no buddy invitation system. Seems he got rather frustrated about that rumour.

Orgun

Fonds said:
Just made it official on our guildpage:

NeoGAF is now going PvP on the european servers. After a couple of days voting we had a pretty unanimous vote for going PvP.

If you want to hop on your speeder and slaughter some empire scum along the way; look no further... NeoGAF is going PvP!

17 and counting!

Not a fan of PvP so I will drop out and seek another Euro guild :(

Yaska

Orgun said:
Not a fan of PvP so I will drop out and seek another Euro guild :(
How about forming up a EU-GAF-PvE guild in that case? Surely we will see more gaffers joining the guilds closer to the launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom