• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Rei would be better bait.

I have sources that tell me this is actually the best form:

3xUZtD9.jpg

Tsurezure Children, Episode 8 -

Was not expecting a flash step battle to happen. Another pretty good episode. Comedy Couple is one of my favorite couples in the series so seeing them fail again to kiss was pretty amusing.

Still not a fan of the Student Council President. Feels like all his segments involves him redpilling his girlfriend.

New Game!! got a new ending.

It doesn't look like it's just for this week.

I know this isn't the case, but my headcanon is going to be that no one liked the old one so they made something else.

Watched all of Barakamon yesterday, it was very good.

And now due to me playing a bunch of Super Robot Wars V, I'm watching Shin Mazinger.

Also planning to watch Getter Robo Armageddon and Ushio And Tora.

And I may regret this, but what is the watch order for Monogatari? I've only seen 5 or so eps of Bake back when it was newish, so I'm really behind.

blurr

Princess Principal 01

Is there a meta narrative I am to expect to back the lead character design contrasting with the less than prominent characters? Hey, I like moe as much as the next guy but this contrast is not something I can't say I'm particularly a fan of. It makes sense to signify the spy-lie theme that this episode reverberates, things aren't what they seem or sound but that still feels like a bit of a stretch.

I love the action bits but I wish it was a bit more relaxed during the more silent moments. The TV length probably doesn't help out in achieving that. It feels like it was cut down as much as possible.

I like the visual style in general but the color scheme at times feels washed out due to its use of lighting. It can be a bit distracting and at worst even soil the mood it needs at times.

Looking forward to watch more but at least I can get some context on the discussions that happen here on this show.

THE iDOLM@STER: Cinderella Girls 14
Rin's newfound friendships should positively widen her point of view by allowing her to reflect from a slightly different perspective. Perhaps this is what it'll take for her to fully appreciate her profession and position. Riina seems to have been struck by inspiration, so maybe she'll now learn a new adjectival noun or something actually substantial about rock.

[struggling to keep myself from commenting on this bit]

I should be more patient until you get to those episodes.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The FGO manga would end if we got skippable NPs.

kewlmyc

Also, from what I understand, NP skipping wouldn't work in the current engine. They would have to recalculate how damage and hit detection work in the engine and possibly redo it from scratch.

The FGO manga would end if we got skippable NPs.

Also this.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I can't imagine they need to play the animation each time during testing, which they would have to do, that would be bananas.

Thud

Finally finished Atom the beginning. It was fine. Pinching noses till the end. A small Atom/Astro Boy silhouet in the final episode. I can live with this yeah.

And up to date with Dragon Ball Super. Hit looked great again. They've been handling the arc way better than I anticipated.

I haven't watched any of the summer anime yet haha.

Jintor

tsuredure children

fucking hell this show is amazing, even knowing the jokes beforehand

it is also the perfect thing to watch coming out of a pretty dang long relationship

Tsuredure Children is surprisingly good.

While it's a humor show, it's actually kind of rare for anime to be about couples after they've gotten together. Most of the couples are together, they just don't know what the hell they're doing.

This.

The first season is always a challenge for someone new to Symphogear to get through

I convinced a colleague to watch Symphogear and while she was sorta okay with the first season, the second season onwards had her surprised at how much some of the stuff improved.

At least most of the episodes are available now, so you don't have to go through the weekly "subs when" experience old-timers are having with the current AXZ season

first season suffers from lack of budget(although i kind of like the more simplistic transformations of Symphogear) and doesnt hit its stride untill near the end when everything comes together. G is an exponential improvement and GX was holy shit omg wtf bbq good.

I need to see your entire anime collection you have there. Always like to see other people anime collection.

Not Joe (obviously) but if you wanna see Anime collections I'd be happy to share mine:
And now the tour! The collection is double layered, starting in the back:

06BEF79B-7CEB-4C28-ADBC-04B52BC4A62D_zpsf1aag2zk.jpg

I've been working to upgrade to all DVD, but somethings aren't easily, or willingly replaced, like Ai City. I did just get The Castle of Cagliostro on Bluray though, so that'll get junked at some point here. The Guyver VHS there is also a super rare bootleg of the first ever Guyver OVA. I copied it to DVD, but I keep the original bootleg all the same.

6E9E0DD7-9F84-44F7-9769-A9ADF753A456_zpseprjutgr.jpg

1BFBD339-EAE1-48E5-B91B-4FDF8EEB122B_zpskd6yhooo.jpg

Some VHS/DVDs are things I've picked up from Video stores closing, or found in Savers and decided to keep. Hence why I have say, Blue Submarine No. 6 DVD 1 and Orphen VHS Vol. 1 and nothing of the rest.
A5FAE0FF-AF56-46FA-9500-E4AF47973F82_zpsaizutr8x.jpg

The DVDs between Bubblegum Crisis and Code Geass are Chobits, I just flipped the reversible covers.
A5D349EB-CB6B-46CB-92BA-C3B8B9175402_zpsgpwdiud0.jpg

The flipped cover BluRay is just a BR of FFVII Advent Children.
6FEC41C9-E515-4B7C-96C6-D8F2CF73D3D1_zpsofeme492.jpg

D48A74C9-8697-45DD-B7E4-16A8CEE927BF_zpszhotvc4r.jpg

Next to Gasaraki is a bootleg Getter Robo original series set, since there hasn't ever been an official release.
09A89883-DCD9-4C2F-B9B6-661EC1B67C72_zps4w7nil2x.jpg

The blank DVDs are DVD rips of my VHS copies of the Original Gundam Movie Trilogy with its original western dub that never made it to DVD. There's also a Japanese copy of Miller's Report and a Japanese copy of Gundam F91, things I got before either had a Western release.

4D9C8667-F36E-4421-A94F-137F0CF02DA0_zpsc1wzfnkk.jpg

FD2FF7D8-404A-4E4E-AD48-2CC2153A15B5_zps5gepd1wj.jpg

The blank DVD between Gundam Seed and Guyver is the DVD rip of the Guyver OVA VHS
BD34F1C9-70B0-41ED-953D-DA1E58985C6C_zpsrxg8bsng.jpg

The Nadesico Movie is a bootleg from before its Western Release. There's also a Japanese DVD Vol. 1 of Naruto. I think it literally has just the first episode. Kinda pissed me off when I got it on a trip to Japan in my teens.

C6F84235-5CE9-419C-B293-B0E38082D758_zpsfj0y1wcs.jpg

Here I have Japanese copies of One Piece's 2nd and 3rd films, legal releases, and then what's left of my Bootlegs from before One Piece had an English release. In these they refer to Sanji as Sunkiss.... I still have the first four parts should anyone saver a 1990s/early 2000s anime Western experience :p

2744C5AB-1055-4E4C-ACCB-4AE9D804BF3F_zpsaqqpazp0.jpg

Original Outlaw Star releases, bootleg Patlabor III release, least I think its bootleg based on the box. It's subtitles are really good though.

Also here's a bunch of new acquisitions/unwatched DVDs/BluRays (not all anime, but plenty there) I haven't put in the collection yet. Only thing that's missing is HxH Set 2 and that's because my Wife is addicted to it and has it out.
B2273940-321C-461C-9776-A6C057C1B236_zpsqnyfadsu.jpg

Hope this was interesting! Sorry for the wall of anime!

Stardust Crusaders 33

Ah, it's nice to have Soejima storyboard and direct another full episode. He really is the most singularly interesting individual to be working on David Production's Jojo anime. I enjoy how he distorts space to reflect the emotional state of characters, warping the place they are afraid of:

Soejima has a background in CG, having handled CG direction for multiple Gonzo productions such as Last Exile and Gankutsuou before moving to David Production when they spun off. He still does CG work for things such as Diamond is Unbreakable's ED. So even when he's storyboarding for 2D animation, you can see his conception of three-dimensional space shine through the camera angles he chooses as well as how he positions characters in relation to each other. (NSFW) Of course, as seen in these examples, that three-dimensional space is not always perfectly realistic, since it bends according to the character's emotions.

The colors do the same, famously. David Production's Jojo consistently throws its colors out-of-whack at the emotional climax of encounters (at least in Stardust Crusaders and Diamond is Unbreakable - I don't remember if it's the same in the first season). Some color palettes are more successful than others, but Soejima is better than average at creating unusual color combinations that work:

I suspect that Soejima was the primary person who decided what Jojo TV's approach to color would be in his role as Visual Director of the first season - it fits with past work he's done, especially on Gankutsuou.

The Stardust Crusaders anime is more tepid at times than I would like, and the sluggish pacing doesn't help, but Soejima's episodes are always a treat.

That particular era of anime didn't really have any scruples with that. Just look at Dragonball.

"That particular era of anime" is two years ago! (Even if it is adapting a much older manga.)

Aki-at

That's a lot of Dragonball Vlad! Speaking of Dragonball...

Dragonball Super - 102

Not sure if I posted about getting into this series recently but I just picked up from the current saga and pleasently surprised how much I'm enjoying it. This episode though... I could have screencapped the whole thing, it was just downright hilarious and kept getting laughs out of me.

Probably should go back and catch up on the other saga's like Resurrection F and Dark/Black Goku saga to see if there's anything fun I missed.

That's a lot of Dragonball Vlad! Speaking of Dragonball...

Dragonball Super - 102

Not sure if I posted about getting into this series recently but I just picked up from the current saga and pleasently surprised how much I'm enjoying it. This episode though... I could have screencapped the whole thing, it was just downright hilarious and kept getting laughs out of me.

Probably should go back and catch up on the other saga's like Resurrection F and Dark/Black Goku saga to see if there's anything fun I missed.

It'll be even more once I start collecting Kai and Super lol.

DNAbro

Food Wars 8 and 9

I like the rivalry going on between Soma and Takumi. The bus scene afterwards was hilarious. Soma and Erina humming the ending theme was really cute too. Also this show is making me want to actually cook something that isn't basic.

Aki-at

It'll be even more once I start collecting Kai and Super lol.

Time to mortgage the house/raid the savings :p

Funny you should mention The Castle of Cagliostro, got that a few weeks ago on blu ray but need to get the time to watch it again. First time in my adult life too I think haha.

Kyuur

Man, the Funimation app on PS4 is so unresponsive compared to Crunchy's. Decided to grab a free trial because they have more of the older stuff to watch but not sure I'll keep the sub going.

Not sure where to post this but I just found out about the new Houshin Engi anime but I havent seen any more info besides its existence, have they say more about it? are they going to follow the manga or the previous anime? how many episodes? when its coming out?

moogs

Neo Member
New Game!! 07

The music during the end of the interview was a bit odd. Also, Yun should have been the one to move. Her decorations are the worst; the skeleton ceaselessly peeves me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom