• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA: FoA |OT| F2P Now on Steam! Parade coming after HL3

The TERA: Rising European version was in Steam. It is gone though. I have the stub in my wishlist before they region locked it.

NA version was supposed to launch today in Steam but something happened and its delayed until early next year.

probably to region lock it some more. ;P

Caayn

So what are the differences between the GameForge and the Enmasse version of this game? Why should I pick version A over version B, outside of ping, for example.

I might redownload this game, but I have no one to play with.
You can come to Celestia Hills and play with me. I know lots of people there. Or if they're still around at least.

I'm always in character, though...
((And I always use parenthesis when talking of character))

I also had some characters on the most popular serves... just for buying things like Regent gear and transferring it back to Celestial Hills.

NeOak

he probably early commented. but it's coming early 2015. i like steam for the easy updates and whatnot. and hopefully it links up with steam accounts instead of using their login.

The steam version will open their launcher. What that version does is make you use your Steam Wallet for cash shop purchases.

So what are the differences between the GameForge and the Enmasse version of this game? Why should I pick version A over version B, outside of ping, for example.

Not much. Enmasse's support is better though. And we had some patches before that GF never applied to EU.

A lot of Europeans moved to NA, but i would give it a try for ping and see if you can play before settling down here.

the game did look pretty i need to start up a new adventure log and take more screenshots.

ibvXy5FtodiD4U.png

http://daxterlabtoystudio.minus.com/mRlJKmqTc

it's been 3 years since i played.

i should have put the screenshots in a folder for easier access. lol.

T.O.P

Banned
Still remember my Guild first attempt at hard Manaya

Never laughed so much in my life (it also took us an entire weekend more or less lol)

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Best MMO combat but fuck the RNG. Quit the game after I realized I was logging on just to grind the same dungeons for 1-2 hours just to fail one or two RNG upgrade/masterwork attempts.

RNG to get advanced glyphs.
RNG to upgrade equipment.
RNG to masterwork equipment.
RNG to roll stats on equipment.

Even if they're lowering the costs, they need to SERIOUSLY lower it to make the game not a ridiculously shitty grind.

And they're adding effectively the lancer chain to warriors? Why?

Shandra Manaya Hard Mode is hard...

She is the last boss of the game. Though... since it's been a while, maybe they have a new harder boss?

The rings were always confusing to me. You have different phases you have to go through.

Nightmare Meldita was the second hardest when I was playing. The eye beam becomes a one hit KO...

And you have to go after the slimes immediately. Behind the wall... back at the slimes... behind the wall... back at the slimes...

NeOak

Best MMO combat but fuck the RNG.

RNG to get advanced glyphs.
RNG to upgrade equipment.
RNG to masterwork equipment.
RNG to roll stats on equipment.

Even if they're lowering the costs, they need to SERIOUSLY lower it to make the game not a ridiculously shitty grind.

And they're adding effectively the lancer chain to warriors? Why?

The RNG was seriously toned down. A looong time ago.

Shandra Manaya Hard Mode is hard...

She is the last boss of the game. Though... since it's been a while, maybe they have a new harder boss?

The rings were always confusing to me. You have different phases you have to go through.

Nightmare Meldita was the second hardest when I was playing. The eye beam becomes a one hit KO...

And you have to go after the slimes immediately. Behind the wall... back at the slimes... behind the wall... back at the slimes...

This is for stuff that is over a year old and gone as of this patch.

Oh wow, what are some of the new things since I played?

I think the last time I played was in 2012. I think it was around 6 months after it went free to play that I stopped playing.
My desktop started shutting down because it had too much dust. And for some reason I always forgot to start playing again.

Merun

Did they make something even harder than those two or did it go the path of the casual?

As a Sorcerer the glitched teleport was the stuff of nightmare ç__ç

Queen debuff! Get in circle!
*teleport*
*rubberband*
*wrong debuff*
*wipe*

I wonder if it has ever been fixed.

I also connected this morning, and jumping directly on my main, I was flooded with new stuff x.x. Lots of change after a year and half.

Erasus

I would so play this if they fixed the UI lag/optimization of the game.
UI on = 20fps

UI off = 50-60fps

Fek off korea

T.O.P

Banned
Queen debuff! Get in circle!
*teleport*
*rubberband*
*wrong debuff*
*wipe*

I wonder if it has ever been fixed.

Yeah by the time that VM2 was in the game it was fixed

Such a great combat system...fuck it might download the game overnight

Was it around 45GB if i remember correctly?

Aesthet1c

I need to give this a shot again. I really liked the game, but I had an issue I could never figure out where the hud and text was blurry. I don't know if it's because the game didn't like my resolution (1680x1050), but it was really off putting. If that's not an issue anymore I can hop back in.

KePoW

Banned
The combat was legit fun in this game. I really enjoyed my time with it, and I love the character designs lol

Puru

So hmm, why do i have what looks like two launcher updating at the same time?

one looks just like a download status while the other one is the actual launcher.

Quite possible indeed. I'll just let it do whatever it wants i guess, at least this time it looks like it's actually trying to work.

Best combat in an MMO, too bad the whole game (from what I saw as much as I played) was just kill X number of Y or collect X number of Y (by killing X for them to drop).

If we could combine a good sandbox structure with good real time action combat, we'd have the true next great MMO.

Here's hoping Black Desert achieves.

I guess it has the best combat IF you are used to WOW.

Tiops

I'll download it tonight. Not going to invest too much time on it, as I play FFXIV, but will try to play a few hours to see how it goes.

_woLf

Is this game still a creepy elin fest?

I wanted to like this game but that was such a crazy turn off from the game that I couldn't take it. :(

2San

I remember quiting because of bad the end game grind was. How is the end game these days?

How is EU Tera? Is it still ran by idiots? How healthy is the community?

Best combat in an MMO, too bad the whole game (from what I saw as much as I played) was just kill X number of Y or collect X number of Y (by killing X for them to drop).
That's why you need to play on a PVP server and gank everyone. It's pretty much how I had my fun until everyone disappeared.

I remember quiting because of bad the end game grind was. How is the end game these days?

How is EU Tera? Is it still ran by idiots? How healthy is the community?

That's why you need to play on a PVP server and gank everyone. It's pretty much how I had my fun until everyone disappeared.
loved the pvp servers when it first launched. good times. the bridge at whatever town that was. lol.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
The RNG was seriously toned down. A looong time ago.
How much did they tone it down? I quit when the game at a time when it gave something like a 0.001% improved chance at your next enchant each time your current enchant failed, and removing the +12 on your previous Masterwork weapon only gave like a 4% improved chance at your next enchant on some other weapon.

NeOak

How much did they tone it down? I quit when the game at a time when it gave something like a 0.001% improved chance at your next enchant each time your current enchant failed, and removing the +12 on your previous Masterwork weapon only gave like a 4% improved chance at your next enchant on some other weapon.

You can masterwork easily except certain gear which is meant for the ones that go hardcore anyway.

You can +9 easily, using more feedstock increases your chances. Low level feedstock can be converted to higher level feedstock at a ration of 6:1.

Unless you go for VM4, you should have no problem enchanting.

roboshawn

Neo Member
I would so play this if they fixed the UI lag/optimization of the game.
UI on = 20fps

UI off = 50-60fps

Fek off korea

I recall when I played it last that there were a number of Unreal .ini file tweaks that I made that took my framerate from mid 20's up to mid 50's ...

Here's where I started when I was making those tweaks:
http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/general-discussion/topics/ini-tweaks-and-performance-guide

Yes it is lame that 80% of these settings, many of which can have significant performance boosts, are not tweakable in the game UI. (Well, last I looked anyhow which was like 6 months ago)

NeOak

I recall when I played it last that there were a number of Unreal .ini file tweaks that I made that took my framerate from mid 20's up to mid 50's ...

Here's where I started when I was making those tweaks:
http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/general-discussion/topics/ini-tweaks-and-performance-guide

Yes it is lame that 80% of these settings, many of which can have significant performance boosts, are not tweakable in the game UI. (Well, last I looked anyhow which was like 6 months ago)

They actually fixed most of what they could. There are some mods, but it's not as bad as before.

I've seen this game brought up in many of the Black Desert threads; really want to try it out -- here's hoping I can get some friends together when it hits Steam in early 2015. Thanks for the OT - good stuff! ^_^

NeOak

Is there a way to ping the servers?

The IP of the servers is 208.67.49.28, but if you try to ping it times out.

Edit: Merun gets 141ms from France. So take that just as a reference.

I've seen this game brought up in many of the Black Desert threads; really want to try it out -- here's hoping I can get some friends together when it hits Steam in early 2015. Thanks for the OT - good stuff! ^_^

You can play it now. The accounts will be the same with the Steam version. The integration will allow the use of the steam wallet for cash shop purchases, but its the same launcher we have atm.

enchanting literally infuriated me and made me quit this game cold turkey

that rng was too brutal back then

Yeah, it really was brutal. Now it can be beaten. Still RNG, but not like then.

Pejo

I loved the time i spent with this game, had a ton of fun tanking some of the harder stuff (that i got to at least). Came back briefly about a month ago, was still fun to play.

Question: Is reaper still Elin-only? I really want to try the class but I'm just not into playing as an Elin.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Castanids are still my favorite race ever in a mmo. no shame!

NeOak

I loved the time i spent with this game, had a ton of fun tanking some of the harder stuff (that i got to at least). Came back briefly about a month ago, was still fun to play.

Question: Is reaper still Elin-only? I really want to try the class but I'm just not into playing as an Elin.

It is Elin only and will be like that forever..

However, you can mod the elin. I have mine +3 height and you change the thigh size too.

Arc Engineer (Gunner, 10th class) is Female Castanic & High Elf only.

Nekofrog

Banned
Yeah, it really was brutal. Now it can be beaten. Still RNG, but not like then.

it sucked because i've been playing MMOs since the original everquest, and never had I had as much fun in one as I did TERA

but I got to end game with my archer back at launch and dear god the enchanting just made me quit. i couldn't do it. i couldn't go on. as much as i loved the combat system, which I still to this day consider the best combat in any MMO

that enchanting :\

i came back a year or so ago and played with a lot of gaf and still it was pretty bad.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I tried playing this with a friend way back but for some reason we decided to quit. I kinda wanna give it another shot but I don't want to quest by myself (healing is my forte so it takes forever to kill shit). ;_;

Top Bottom