• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THR: Ron Howard officially directing Han Solo after Lord/Miller firing

That's honestly what I'm expecting. Bump back to December and the 5 weeks becomes something like 2-3 months.

Well, they're gonna bump back to December regardlesss, I bet. But if they don't schedule more than 6 weeks of reshoots - and a LOT more, in fact - then there's no way this becomes a Ron Howard movie.

It may become a "not-really Lord & Miller" movie. But it's not gonna be Ron Howard's Han Solo Adventures

I mean, they fired Lord and Miller for a reason... how much work is Howard going to have to put in to make this the film Disney wanted?
The movie lawrence kasdan wants.. he has alot of influence at LucasFilm and the reason why they are fired imo.

MisterR

Lord/Miller track record is so much better than Ron Howards.I really wanted to watch their vision.

Seriously? They've made a couple of kids movies and 21 Jump Street. Ron Howard has made about 3 times as many good movies as they have even directed movies.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
What about that race movie?

Rush was legit great and more recently In the Heart of the Sea was also a good movie. Unremarkable maybe, but a very good and enjoyable film.

Those stupid Da Vinci Code series films were always schlock.

Ridley327

This doesn't suddenly become a Ron Howard Movie now

This is cleanup.

It probably won't. Howard will knock whatever Lord & Miller's shot into the shape Kasdan prefers, and shoot new shit to make it fit together.

Yeah, that's my expectation. Howard is a trusted professional that isn't going to rock the boat on what Kennedy and Kasdan want for this. That's the upswing of bringing in someone like Howard in the first place: he may be fairly unremarkable in terms of personal vision, but barring a full-on overhaul, that also means that he's not going to touch much of anything to what's already been shot. He's a closer.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
R1k5DTZ.png

Dammit

Patryn

Well, they're gonna bump back to December regardlesss, I bet. But if they don't schedule more than 6 weeks of reshoots - and a LOT more, in fact - then there's no way this becomes a Ron Howard movie.

It may become a "not-really Lord & Miller" movie. But it's not gonna be Ron Howard's Han Solo Adventures

I'm talking solely for the director's credit. Now that's going to be an adventure, and I feel bad for the DGA team that gets to determine how to credit the film.

But it's Star Wars and Disney, so it'll still make a fuckton of money I guess, vindicating Disney's decision to fire two of the best directors in Hollywood right now.

That's my issue with all this. Rabid fans will bend themselves into knots to defend this kind of shit and will vote with their wallets to overwhelmingly approve it.

If Episode 8 isn't good, I may be done with SW for awhile. No hyperbole.

this movie is not stated for december? o.o

Not yet

I'm talking solely for the director's credit. Now that's going to be an adventure, and I feel bad for the DGA team that gets to determine how to credit the film.

I know. And he's not gonna shoot enough to get it. Not with 3wks of principal and 6wks of reshoots.

Simon Kinberg isn't credited for Fantastic Four, for example, even though he effectively took over for the last month of the shoot and all the reshoots and post.

Lifeline

Seriously? They've made a couple of kids movies and 21 Jump Street. Ron Howard has made about 3 times as many good movies as they have even directed movies.

They didn't make Inferno, that makes them alright in my books.

Also Jump Street movies and The Lego Movie were great, much better than Ron Howards output these past few years.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I couldn't follow the Lord/Miller thread.

Any details beyond "creative differences" as to why they were let go?

f915a8a4b9b784058ceecef55ecbf066.jpg

Basically, there's speculation that KK and Kasdan just ended up not liking these two in general as filming went on, and the creative differences just worsened it as well.

Linkura

Safe choice and probably the best they could get with basically no notice. Will likely be a total mess no matter what though.

marrec

Banned
Rush was legit great and more recently In the Heart of the Sea was also a good movie. Unremarkable maybe, but a very good and enjoyable film.

Those stupid Da Vinci Code series films were always schlock.

Rush was definitely a very watchable and enjoyable film but it ain't Apollo 13.

Whatever, Howard will get the job done, which is the point for Disney.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
That's my issue with all this. Rabid fans will bend themselves into knots to defend this kind of shit and will vote with their wallets to overwhelmingly approve it.

If you are still paying to watch Star Wars movies after enduring the prequels, you will probably keep paying to watch new ones. We all are.

Patryn

Problems with their (quite normal) approach to filmmaking and Kathleen Kennedy just straight up disliking them.

They apparently also made enemies of Lawrence Kasdan, who wrote the script and who has been pushing for this film for forever.

He apparently was the one who convinced them to bring the duo on, but then balked when they went for a more improv style over following the script.

Kennedy apparently had people put together some rough cuts of the film and didn't like what was going on, so it was more than just the dailies.

dinoroar

Banned
Jesus christ, one of the most standard, run of the mill directors going. And that's giving him credit with his recent output.

(Imo imo imo imo)

LakeEarth

Considering I've loved everything Lord and Miller has done so far (watch Clone High, guys), I'm not very excited for this news.

Ridley327

More details came out, which can be best summed up as Kathleen Kennedy and Lawrence Kasdan being unpleasantly surprised that hiring Phil Lord and Chris Miller for a film resulted in something that was more outwardly comedic than Star Wars is typically known for, leaving the internet to wonder why they hired them in the first place if they expected something different.

sphagnum

Banned

It seems they had a conflict with Kasdan over the nature of the character and the movie. Kasdan wrote it to be a funny Star Wars movie with Han being 'sarcastic and selfish' and L&M improvised so much on set that it became more of a comedy that happens to be in the Star Wars universe. Kasdan was mad about what they did to his script and Kennedy didn't feel like it fit with the franchise anymore. She also didn't like the way they worked in general.

MisterR

They didn't make Inferno, that makes them alright in my books.

Also Jump Street movies and The Lego Movie were great, much better than Ron Howards output these past few years.

21 Jump Street was great, 22 was mediocre. Lego Movie is ok. Rush is a better movie than any of them. Not to mention the numerous excellent movies he made in the 80's and 90's.

I think they had more challenges as directors in coming up with good movies from brands/ideas that almost seemed impossible to make good.

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs? How could you make a 20 page children's book into a full fledged movie?

21 Jump Street? How can you make a good movie out of an old busted franchise?

Lego Movie? What are they gonna do with a toy brand?

A prequel movie about Han Solo just seemed dumb an unnecessary but they've done enough great work with their source material that I had faith that they could make something original and fun out of it.

With Ron Howard, I expect the movie to be serviceable. Bland, but serviceable.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
The movie would have been amazing with Lord and Miller, but now, it'll just be "eh, I guess it was alright", and will promptly be forgotten.

There's absolutely no way to know this so it's pointless to claim so. I'm guessing you'll keep saying it no matter how the movie turns out though.

Dry your eyes. If the prequels didn't stop you, nothing will.

If you are still paying to watch Star Wars movies after enduring the prequels, you will probably keep paying to watch new ones. We all are.

Thing is, by sheer coincidence, SW is usually our company field trip so I never technically pay for it. However, to your point, I am paying with time spent so yes, so that aspect I will re-assess if Episode 8 is faulty.

Kennedy apparently had people put together some rough cuts of the film and didn't like what was going on, so it was more than just the dailies.

I'm pretty sure I mention something like that in there

edit: it's the 2nd sentence, in fact. Maybe you just thought I meant "dailies" there.

It seems they had a conflict with Kasdan over the nature of the character and the movie. Kasdan wrote it to be a funny Star Wars movie with Han being 'sarcastic and selfish' and L&M improvised so much on set that it became more of a comedy that happens to be in the Star Wars universe. Kasdan was mad about what they did to his script and Kennedy didn't feel like it fit with the franchise anymore. She also didn't like the way they worked in general.

Ugh.

That sounds like it was probably really, really fun. Fucking hell.

Dude directed Splash, Cocoon, Willow, Parenthood, Backdraft, The Paper, Apollo 13, A Beautiful Mind, Frost/Nixon (ok 3 Da Vinci codes movies but Dan Brown surely shoulders the bulk of the blame for those), was in Andy Griffith Show, Happy Days, American Graffiti and then there's the production stuff and of course Arrested Development. And won a few Oscars.

He has range and even his clunkers are still interesting enough. He's about as safe a pair of hands you get and yet still expect a pretty good film to emerge. He's no Scorcese or Spielberg, but he's certainly competitive

Besides, when you still have Colin Trevorrow doing Ep IX, is Ron Howard really that bad?

LewieP

Ha. I'd pegged Howard as most likely to take over on The Batman, he's a safe pair of hands with not much of an ego, who will just deliver the studios what they want, on budget and on time.

Still strange to me that Disney et al seem to have been able to sell these Star Wars prequels as if they are not prequels.

Edit: Yeah I'd have preferred to have seen Lord & Miller's take on this, but if it was going to massively compromised, why even hire creatives with such strong vision?

Edit2: Oh I didn't realise production was so far in. I guess we've got another Rogue One situation.

marrec

Banned
Ugh.

That sounds like it was probably really, really fun. Fucking hell.

It also sounds like how bad movies get made tbh, Lord & Miller are great but if their style didn't fit it's better that they moved on.

As much as I wanted to see whatever weird and funny shit their Han Solo movie would've been.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Dude directed Splash, Cocoon, Willow, Parenthood, Backdraft, The Paper, Apollo 13, A Beautiful Mind, Frost/Nixon (ok 3 Da Vinci codes movies but Dan Brown surely shoulders the bulk of the blame for those), was in Andy Griffith Show, Happy Days, American Graffiti and then there's the production stuff and of course Arrested Development. And won a few Oscars.

He has range and even his clunkers are still interesting enough. He's about as safe a pair of hands you get and yet still expect a pretty good film to emerge. He's no Scorcese or Spielberg, but he's certainly competitive

Besides, when you still have Colin Trevorrow doing Ep IX, is Ron Howard really that bad?

To be honest, any discussion about Ron Howard's film identity - whether pro or against - is rendered moot by the fact that this film is weeks away from wrapping up. He's clearly just there for solid damage control, and I can't imagine much of his DNA being implemented much apart from editing.

Top Bottom