• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THR: Ron Howard officially directing Han Solo after Lord/Miller firing

Besides money why does this movie even need to happen?

Because despite how massive the SW wealth of stories and lore is, LFL wants to keep telling stories of select central characters and themes from the OT.

Probably because it is an incredibly safe bet in predicting ROI.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
STAR WARS
HAN SOLO

A Film Agreed-Upon by Kathleen Kennedy
Directed by Ron Howard
In Association With Lord & Miller
Kid-Tested, ✓Lawrence Kasdan Approved✓

effzee

Thing is, by sheer coincidence, SW is usually our company field trip so I never technically pay for it. However, to your point, I am paying with time spent so yes, so that aspect I will re-assess if Episode 8 is faulty.

I'm not a huge fan of TFA, but that alresdy is 10x better than all the prequels.

Rogue One was great. But this the breaking point?

Pennywise

Good choice.

Time to take a look at what the experts like Kyle Newman, Jason Swank, Jimmy Mac, Kristian Harloff, John Campea have to say.

Problems with their (quite normal) approach to filmmaking and Kathleen Kennedy just straight up disliking them.

They apparently also made enemies of Lawrence Kasdan, who wrote the script and who has been pushing for this film for forever.

He apparently was the one who convinced them to bring the duo on, but then balked when they went for a more improv style over following the script.

Kennedy apparently had people put together some rough cuts of the film and didn't like what was going on, so it was more than just the dailies.

More details came out, which can be best summed up as Kathleen Kennedy and Lawrence Kasdan being unpleasantly surprised that hiring Phil Lord and Chris Miller for a film resulted in something that was more outwardly comedic than Star Wars is typically known for, leaving the internet to wonder why they hired them in the first place if they expected something different.

It seems they had a conflict with Kasdan over the nature of the character and the movie. Kasdan wrote it to be a funny Star Wars movie with Han being 'sarcastic and selfish' and L&M improvised so much on set that it became more of a comedy that happens to be in the Star Wars universe. Kasdan was mad about what they did to his script and Kennedy didn't feel like it fit with the franchise anymore. She also didn't like the way they worked in general.

ugh

fuck all of this.

foxdvd

What would have happened to the internet if it was announced that George Lucas was stepping in to finish up this movie and not Ron Howard?

effzee

I'm much more interested in how the cast and production team reacts. While the studio had a problem with L&M, I'm sure the actors were having a blast.

Howard can be a top level director but here his main task will be to sooth over any issues with the cast and crew. I imagine the script remains the same, he just has to get to the finish line.

I think we can also now end speculation about who will play Lobot
Clint_Howard.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of TFA, but that alresdy is 10x better than all the prequels.

Rogue One was great. But this the breaking point?

We are not aligned on the assessment of R1 being great and my thoughts on TFA are well documented. SW with Disney was supposed the fresh start of new and interesting stories and ideas following the GL schlock from 1999-2005.

So far, I have personally been thoroughly disappointed in the output from he post GL LFL.

Ridley327

Also testing the waters with a new young actor playing one of the old heroes. If people accept this movie then young Luke/Leia movies are inevitable.

What could they possibly do with a young Luke movie? The original trilogy is already a young Luke series!

rgoulart

I kinda like him. I think he's talented but his most recent work was just terrible. I loved the book "Inferno" (mostly due to the surprise ending) and though most of the movie's problems were the script's fault, the direction was also awful. The "action" scenes were dull and uninspired. I could not believe it was the same cinematographer from the other two films. Compare this to his other Dan Brown works: The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons, they look nowhere as bad as this, hell, The Da Vinci Code even looks great IMO. The acting was also the worst of the trilogy, even the great Tom Hanks was sleepwalking the role.

Still, I think he would be a good choice to helm this Han Solo project, even if I feel like this film is unnecessary in the context of the franchise. There are other paths they could have taken us on without using Original Trilogy characters, or even with OT characters, like the Boba Fett or Obi Wan movies that's been rumoured for so long.

BTW Apollo 13 is amazing.

Also testing the waters with a new young actor playing one of the old heroes. If people accept this movie then young Luke/Leia movies are inevitable.

Reboot is inevitable, period. This isn't so much testing the waters as it is turning the heat up on the pot we've already been soaking in.

Also, the official LFL press release is sticking to the May date. So there's that.

f915a8a4b9b784058ceecef55ecbf066.jpg

Basically, there's speculation that KK and Kasdan just ended up not liking these two in general as filming went on, and the creative differences just worsened it as well.

I like Lord and Miller's stuff, but TBF Kasdan is responsible for 2/3 of the OT and Raiders so I'll take his expertise on this genre over anyone else's. Howard's a capable director. I don't think this movie will be any worse for them leaving.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
When are the reshoots scheduled for?

Ron will probably use what time he has to work around what was done to bring it inline with what Kasden/Kennedy want tonally. But next real metric of how bad things are is if they try to extend the currently booked 5 weeks of reshoots or schedule another round after that. As it will likely mean much of the L&M work wasn't salvageable.

I feel really bad for the VFX team as they'll probably be crunching hardcore, especially if they end up reshooting more closer to release.

sphagnum

Banned
I wouldn't mind a young Leia movie. There's a lot that could be done there. They could get Jimmy Smits back!

Young Luke wouldn't work because nothing happens in his life. At most, kid Luke would show up in the Obi-Wan movie.

This will be fine.

If they were mostly done with shooting it, it will very much have the Lord and Miller DNA.

Its not like they asked Colin Trevarrow to jump in.

When are the reshoots scheduled for?

I heard they're starting photography back up in a couple weeks, and then reshoots will probably be 3 or 4 months after that maybe?

I dunno.

But if they really are sticking to May (and they just re-stated that they are) then it's gotta be pretty soon.

Solo

Star Wars stories in general were a mistake. I know I'm in the minority here, and I know money makes the world turn, but I'm really not a fan of the model of having to release at least one film per calendar year because reasons (read: it prints money). It would be more refreshing to release movies when they had a good new story to tell, be it six months or 6 years after the last one. I just feel like it dilutes a brand for me fast when you know there will be a new film or two like clockwork every year.

I am super curious on what exactly is left to shoot.

I don't expect to look like two different things that have been stitched together, but I am interested to see how it all turns out.

It would be more refreshing to release movies when they had a good new story to tell, be it six months or 6 years after the last one. I just feel like it dilutes a brand for me fast when you know there will be a new film or two like clockwork every year.

All-Bonds1.jpg

edit: And before someone pipes up w/ "but sometimes they didn't release them once every couple of years" that's not because they didn't want to

All-Bonds1.jpg

edit: And before someone pipes up w/ "but sometimes they didn't release them once every couple of years" that's not because they didn't want to

I'm not sure this is a good comparison, since there are a good number of bad Bond movies. Though there are a few bad Star Wars movies... I'm not sure where I'm going with this. Carry on.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Despite my earlier snark, I actually do have a lot of faith in Kennedy and Kasdan to make the right call. Neither of them have let me down in any considerable way. I thought Rogue One was decent and The Force Awakens, although admittedly fairly safe, has gone on to become one of my absolute favorites. I like it more every damn time, to heck with "the mass re-evaluation migration of 2016." So yeah, #ImWithHer, I guess.

Top Bottom