• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beard-GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
My shit has been fucking itching like Bitch!

I try to keep it a little lubricated, but the weather is getting drier up here in NYC

Can it be September already =/

Salazar

BeardGAF motivational philosophy caps.

zTrYU.jpg

h69Ia.jpg

Edit: Wait ! He means to shave the beard off ! Scoundrel. Shame, unutterable shame.

EYEL1NER

I haven't shaved since the end of December, on my last day of work. My wife wants the beard gone but I told her I wasnt going to shave until I had an interview lined up.
I have been wanting to trim it and make it look neat, but I am so scared that I will fuck up and have to lose the whole thing that I can't bring myself to try.
So I have a Blackbeard the Pirate/Homeless Guy thing going on. I thought about just losing the lower portion and going with a Cop Stache, James Hetfield, or Fu Manchu. But I'll just leave it for now.

I've grown to really enjoy taking the hair at the corner of my mouth and just tucking it into the mouth and sucking on it though. My buddy said he used to do the same thing when he was out with an SF team in Afghanistan an grew a beard out for months.

GraveRobberX

I've grown to really enjoy taking the hair at the corner of my mouth and just tucking it into the mouth and sucking on it though. My buddy said he used to do the same thing when he was out with an SF team in Afghanistan an grew a beard out for months.

I do this too, haha

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
(O_0) I kinda enjoyed selecting a single hair next to my mouth and pull it out with my teeth. But then I realized my growth there isn't as thick as alsewhere so I stopped.

Decided to let it grow again after the last pic I posted, as I got terrible razor bumps and the medicine i used to help get rid of them scared me up pretty bad :(

Anyway, full beard ahoy

IMG_1060.jpg

Alright guys, I want to join the club.

I haven't shaved in the past month but to be honest I'm not very happy with the results. I will post pictures here, but please don't mock my pathetic attempt at having a beard. Well, ok, you can make fun of me but please be gentle.

Also, please excuse the shitty webcam quality.
Y5bQH.jpg
V9R1x.jpg

wAOz2.jpg
PE3kc.jpg

So, here's the deal: I want to grow a real man beard. I don't want to start grooming that crap though because that's not my style. But, I also don't want to look like a hobo. I guess my question is, what is the very minimum I have to do to make the beard look good (i.e. not wiry and pubic hair-like)?

Also, you may have noticed that I am missing some hair here and there. I mean, the goddamn thing is patchy as well. Seeing as how it's likely not going to cover the entire area, should I go with a different look? Mutton chops and Moustache? Honestly I would prefer NOT to trim it or invest too much time in it, but I'm open to suggestions.

Pollux

I haven't shaved in the past month but to be honest I'm not very happy with the results. I will post pictures here, but please don't mock my pathetic attempt at having a beard. Well, ok, you can make fun of me but please be gentle.

Y5bQH.jpg
V9R1x.jpg

wAOz2.jpg
PE3kc.jpg

So, here's the deal: I want to grow a real man beard. I don't want to start grooming that crap though because that's not my style. But, I also don't want to look like a hobo. I guess my question is, what is the very minimum I have to do to make the beard look good (i.e. not wiry and pubic hair-like)?

Also, you may have noticed that I am missing some hair here and there. I mean, the goddamn thing is patchy as well. Seeing as how it's likely not going to cover the entire area, should I go with a different look? Mutton chops and Moustache? Honestly I would prefer NOT to trim it or invest too much time in it, but I'm open to suggestions.

To be honest I think you could rock the mustache. Just cut it where the "patch" starts about 1/2 centimeter below your lip on either side.

Dead Man

Y5bQH.jpg
V9R1x.jpg

wAOz2.jpg
PE3kc.jpg

Yeah man, your stache is strong, whatever you do you consider yourself set there. I think it will look fine in a bit. The patches are small, and your hair is dense enough elsewhere to cover them effectively I think. If you still don't like it, maybe some moustache and goatee would look good.

Bear

My advice? Consider shaving off the sides/neck and going with a moustache and goatee. Shave it until the patchier parts and make sure it's symmetric, and you're good to go. All the hair in the center of your face is thick so it would look much more full.

It's a low maintenance style, it needs an occasional trim but it covers a much smaller area so it doesn't take long at all.

Thanks guys, really appreciated :D

I'll keep it going and will be back in a few weeks to report. If I can't get the damn thing to cover the patches, I'll definitely go with a moustache/sideburns and/or goatee combo.

Thanks again!

Redux

Banned
FunkyPajamas lose the golf cap.

But you look fucking awesome. You remind me of my Cold Front Socom character on Confrontation. He was eastern European.

sphinx

the piano man
any tips on how to take care of a beard?

after 15 years, I am going for the second time in my life for a goatee, which grows nice.

but I remember having problems making it look nice, it's like.. I can't just leave the beard grow at will, it will look bad. should I be using a small comb or something?

sorry for my ignorance, any help is appreciated.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
You guys need to start reading this: creating the neck line.

Shaving a nice neck line can make quite difference between 'look like a hobo' and 'look like a boss'.

My beard has to go because I'm dressing up as a stewardess for a theme party this friday, but after that I'm going all out till autumn again.

GraveRobberX

Fucking HUMIDITY!

My beard ; ;

It itches so bad, and it's hot, I just want to shave it off... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

Need to go dip it in water every 30 minutes to keep it cool and refreshed

Might need to go buy a water spray bottle, and spiff spiff during the un-vampire hours

Picobrain

Banned
Me and my friend made a bet (pack of 24 beers), who can last longer without shaving. So here we are 2 months without shaving :)

401674_216222615132665_543933542_n.jpg

How long should you let your beard grow before you start to trim/shape it? Websites say to let it grow for 4 weeks and then go to a barber to have them shape the neck and trim the beard.

GraveRobberX

How long should you let your beard grow before you start to trim/shape it? Websites say to let it grow for 4 weeks and then go to a barber to have them shape the neck and trim the beard.

I'm going caveman at the moment

Growing that shit as much as possible, will trim it when it reaches my chest area, it's getting there, say a month or two

Making September trim/shape my cut-off point

Me with my 2 month old niece last Saturday:

lE59Zl.jpg

rataplein

depends on your beard i suppose... mine grows painfully slow so i let it for 2 months without touching it. then i did my neckline..... let it grow for another month. trim a litle bit my cheek area... let it grow 2 more months... and trimmed again (too fucking much the cheek area). but it looks a little wierd... so im not gonna touch it for a while now.

pic.

TomJX.jpg

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm almost 25 and can't even grow a dirt stache. I've got chin + neck hair, and a few dozen stragglers on my cheeks.

I'll post back in 5 years when I can finally grow sideburns.

Seguin

Banned
Dear god get that abomination off your face as soon as possible. You could do something with the chin and mustache area...but everything else needs to go.

When you say shave the neck, do you mean under the chin as well?

After three weeks this is what I've got going on:

NdOkI.jpg

It's pretty coarse, my only complaint. Otherwise it's the best I've ever grown it. I definitely should trim the neck a bit.

SUPREME1

Banned

Sweet fucking beard. Probably my favorite look so far, I could probably get away with that at work and not have my wife hate me.

Very solid. Good lines.

Fucking EPIC. You're living the dream, man. I must do that before I leave this world. My father can grow epic beards, while I'm still trying to figure out what I can pull off.

Looks good, like the contrast from cheek to goatee.

Also looks good. Very solid.

The beards above are my favorite thus far.

Salsa

old pics, but point gets across:

Ive been suffering from the curly beard lately

Grua6.png
IWqNa.png

wich can end up kinda icky looking specially if you're not a curly haired person

as such, ive been mantaining more of a stub, wich I ussually let grow quite a bit before reseting

cp6bm.jpg

it's weird, cause my beard was never like this before

my beard is evolving

edit: some larger than life beards in this glorious thread. Keep on trucking.

Arjen

Working on mine for about a month or so now.
I'm getting so many good reactions, wish i did it sooner.
tOaEk.jpg

GraveRobberX

I'm having such a hard time keeping myself cool

Have been doing crazy things to my beard

Splash like 5-7 gulps worth of water to soak it in, keeping it hydrated, also when AC or Fan or both on, and the cool air hits it, it feels so good, so so good, my toes curl up like I'm about to orgasm good

Hell sometimes a little aftershave stops all the itching... WHO THE FUCK KNEW?

Next week start my coconut oil rub-a-thon, get that shit SILKY SMOOTH!

I still don't get where to stop shaving the neckbeard. Every time I shave I just do it all.
Neckline is something I struggled with for a long time too. I just recently feel like I've been getting the hang of it, and I've had a beard for 4 years now (though it's not nearly as godly as some in this thread). Here's a side view of mine:

Start with two fingers and place them right at your adam's apple. Shave there and then stay parallel to your jawline, until you get towards your ears where you should round it out a bit. That's how I do mine.

Hope that helps!

JiuJitsuka

Neo Member
Neckline is something I struggled with for a long time too. I just recently feel like I've been getting the hang of it, and I've had a beard for 4 years now (though it's not nearly as godly as some in this thread). Here's a side view of mine:

Start with two fingers and place them right at your adam's apple. Shave there and then stay parallel to your jawline, until you get towards your ears where you should round it out a bit. That's how I do mine.

Hope that helps!

Dude that's fantastic. Can't you record yourself doing that from a side view and upload the video on private or something. !!

Dude that's fantastic. Can't you record yourself doing that from a side view and upload the video on private or something. !!
Yeah, that might be possible. I'll give it a try next time I shave and see how it turns out. I can't promise anything though.

Also, a three-way mirror is absolutely essential for beard maintenance. If you don't have a three-way mirror, try angling another mirror against the one that you use. You want to be able to see what you're doing while you're shaving, it makes a world of difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom