• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tenerife is dropping its fecal waters unfiltered & untreated near beaches.

Dingens

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

oh... well it's summer so I guess that was expected, sadly. Good luck anyway :(

wew lad that's a lot of sand poop

giphy.gif

is this a cesspool?

Patrick S.

Banned
Doesn't it smell? I'd never sit on such a nasty beach.

I don't get it at all. They are literally putting their core industry, tourism, at risk because they want to save a few bucks by not having proper filtration.
How stupid is that?

That's Los Cristianos. I've never seen that beach looking like this before. That beach always was a bit smelly (because of the proximity to the harbor, there was always a faint Diesel smell in the water), but I'm shocked to see it like this.

shiyrley

Banned
oh... well it's summer so I guess that was expected, sadly. Good luck anyway :(
This is what I sent her. Do you think it's good enough?
Hello. I am unable to write or speak in German, so my best bet is to write this email in English, my secondary language. Sorry about that.

I am a citizen in Tenerife, Canary Islands (Spain) who is really worried about a serious health and medioambiental issue we are facing here. Sewage (fecal waters) is being sent to the sea without any kind of filtering or treatment. First of all, let me include some pictures that illustrate this issue. More information after the pictures.

*pictures go here*

Although this is a thing across al the Canary Islands, this problem is getting the most out of hand in Tenerife specifically, where all the beaches are visibly dirty. Here are two videos of fecal waters on their way to the sea. Warning: the videos are disgusting.
https://www.facebook.com/JavierAbreuR/videos/1894684390743486/
https://www.facebook.com/7.Canarias/videos/10154893639102473/

A change.org regarding this issue (In Spanish):
https://www.change.org/p/presidente...utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_term=autopublish

Recent news about this issue (In Spanish) It says 96% of sewage in the Canary Islands is dropped to the sea unfiltered across 500 sewage points:
http://www.canariasenred.com/el-96-...es-en-tenerife-se-vierten-al-mar-sin-depurar/

Detailed scientiifc research related to this issue (In English).
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-04622-8

The Sun reported on this, though they did not mention sewage:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4195976/canary-islands-tourist-warning-toxic-sea-sawdust-algae/

The Canary Islands government is completely ignoring us and even going as far as threatening us because of spreading this information across Facebook, Twitter and other social media. What they are doing is 100% illegal per European law and they don't want this to go public or viral. They claim this problem is due to "microalgae", when all scientific proof proves otherwise. There was a news report on TV today regarding this and they asked us to be "discrete" about it and stop "spreading inaccurate information". They want to censor us.

We are all protesting, but the Canary Islands government does not care about locals, so unless the UE takes action and tourism takes a hit, they will keep ignoring us and trying to shut us up. They NEED to filter ALL sewage before it's too late and they destroy the beauty and safety of our island's beaches.

Thanks for reading. If you were to take action on this, I would really appreciate if my report would remain anonymous given the Canary Island's government aggressive behaviour with us when reporting this problem.

If you want to see some more information and people complaining about this, in Spanish of course, you can head to this Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/7.Canarias/

Have a great day.
More pictures from today in Tacoronte:

shiyrley

Banned
Is that Añaza or Güimar?
It's somewhere between Candelaria and Tabaiba, I think it's just where Barranco Hondo is. Right next to the highway.
Don't be fooled thinking it's just Spain, it's like that in many turistic locations across the Mediterranean sea (some parts of south Italy in particular).

http://www.lasicilia.it/news/cronac...-in-quel-mare-dove-l-acqua-non-e-piu-blu.html
This is awful too. I encourage people affected by this to complain and have their voices heard too.

nkarafo

It's simple. Spread the info. Tourists should be warned so nobody goes there from now on.

Shitty governments only notice a problem when the profits drop.

Nikodemos

Lack of sewage treatment caused by rapid population increase on Med coast areas is the root cause of all the toxic algal blooms encountered in several areas of the Mediterranean.

Dingens

This is what I sent her. Do you think it's good enough?[...]

seemed fine. Maybe I would've asked if they could you refer to other organizations who may be able to help.
Well there's not much you can do until she gets back from her holidays so gotta be patient. I know it's hard.
keep us updated.

shiyrley

Banned
http://diariodeavisos.elespanol.com...gas-naturales-las-playas-canarias-excelentes/

Translation: Canary Islands sanity department assures the microalgae are "natural" and the beaches are "excellent". Also the recent spike in hepatitis A cases in the islands have nothing to do with them.

Sigh...sure...we are all liars.

This is so retarded, ALL they are worried about is this to not get much noise so that tourists don't notice, even going as far as telling us to shut up, but actually fixing the issue doesn't even cross their heads.

This is the fucking SANITY DEPARTMENT OF THE CANARY ISLANDS denying everything and being cool with BREAKING EUROPEAN LAWS.

salodkghdakog hold me or I'll punch someone at this point

Reminder that freaking Nature and other scientific investigations prove that we are right and this is related to dropping shit in the ocean. And even if it wasn't related, which is NOT the case, what they are doing with fecal waters would still be 100% illegal in the EU.

ShowDog

Dealing with sewage is much harder than people realize, especially on an island. There's no excuse for dumping it all to the ocean (or for allowing private parties to do so) but the solution is going to take a lot of time and a lot of funding. Good on you for drawing attention to the issue! Keep it up.

shiyrley

Banned
Dealing with sewage is much harder than people realize, especially on an island. There's no excuse for dumping it all to the ocean (or for allowing private parties to do so) but the solution is going to take a lot of time and a lot of funding. Good on you for drawing attention to the issue! Keep it up.
Of course it's hard, but when 96% of sewage is dropped unfiltered, it means they just don't care. And, again, Tenerife is in the EU, and this is illegal on the EU.

They have had a ton of years to fix this and they haven't even started to think about maybe trying.

Yup, even the Hawaiian Islands struggle with sewage. They use injection wells that shoot the waste deep into the earth, but new studies are showing that they seep out into the ocean anyway.

shiyrley

Banned
WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK

zhreLIU.jpg

What you are seeing right now my dudes, is the official sanity department on the Canary Islands releasing an official statment in where they tell us, the Canary Island citizens, to "get used" to the "microalgae".

That's right. They just told us to "get used to it". And that this is not dangerous. That the cases of hepatitis A are not related to this. That this is natural. And to get used to it. After countless scientific studies that PROVE OTHERWISE.

Sigh...

Whatever, I will try to contact Ska Keller as hard as I can, I hope she gets interested in this

http://diariodeavisos.elespanol.com...gas-naturales-las-playas-canarias-excelentes/

Translation: Canary Islands sanity department assures the microalgae are "natural" and the beaches are "excellent". Also the recent spike in hepatitis A cases in the islands have nothing to do with them.

Sigh...sure...we are all liars.

This is so retarded, ALL they are worried about is this to not get much noise so that tourists don't notice, even going as far as telling us to shut up, but actually fixing the issue doesn't even cross their heads.

This is the fucking SANITY DEPARTMENT OF THE CANARY ISLANDS denying everything and being cool with BREAKING EUROPEAN LAWS.

salodkghdakog hold me or I'll punch someone at this point

Reminder that freaking Nature and other scientific investigations prove that we are right and this is related to dropping shit in the ocean. And even if it wasn't related, which is NOT the case, what they are doing with fecal waters would still be 100% illegal in the EU.
If this is indeed because of waste being dumped into the ocean, I am puzzled why the authorities react like that. It seems like a lose-lose situation to me. Everybody will know you are lying, your are angering your own people, and you are going to tank your own economy that's heavily relying on tourism.

What is with those people still chilling at the beach in those photos like they aren't standing on poo poo sand and smelling shit in the air?

burgerdog

What is with those people still chilling at the beach in those photos like they aren't standing on poo poo sand and smelling shit in the air?

There's a ton of floating shit and they're swimming in there without a care in the world. Weird as fuck, does it not smell horrible near the beach?

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I'm wondering how long that is sustainable.

Sounds like you have some real corruption going on there, my dude. Either that, or your government doesn't want to tell folks that they don't have the capital to be able to afford that level of sanitation infrastructure. If it's as bad as you say, that's going to be a colossal undertaking to get your sanitation up to speed. I'd also be seriously concerned about your tap water. You have to bathe and cook with that...

KSweeley

WTF?!?! Is there some sort of international news media coverup ongoing regarding this issue??? Just did a Google news search for "Tenerife": https://www.google.com/search?q=Ten...r9zVAhVC7SYKHXBJDYYQ_AUICygC&biw=1920&bih=988

Top 5 headline results:

Tenerife Has Got To Be The Most Underrated Island Destination
HuffPost-Aug 3, 2017

Tenerife's pop-up restaurants: tradition and taste – without the hype
The Guardian-Aug 13, 2017

5 Reasons Tenerife Makes for the Ultimate European Island ...
Brides.com-Aug 11, 2017

The best things to see and do on a family holiday to Tenerife, from ...
Mirror.co.uk-Aug 7, 2017

Big Wins, Surprise Exits and Close Calls in Tenerife
International Sailing Federation-Aug 10, 2017

peppers

That official paper reads like they don't even know they are releasing all that waste in the ocean (which they obviously do), and instead choose to focus on algae bloom itself. Thus the fact that they are hiding the wastes is pretty telling IMO. I'm Spanish (not from Canarias mind you) and I haven't seen anything on twitter, so I don't know how much buzz this is generating, if any.
Does anybody have a link to the Nature paper? I'd like to know just how much evidence is being ignored by the government. I'm bookmarking this since it all comes as such a surprise. What a country dear lord.

shiyrley

Banned
I don't think it smells. Or at least the times I have personally seen this it didn't smell.
Heading to Los Cristianos in the morning.

Oh dear
Good luck, you might go in a good day.
Does anybody have a link to the Nature paper?
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-04622-8

If you want to see the buzz, check this page and the comments on stuff.
https://www.facebook.com/7.Canarias...QB9VOdOYj1mcYfJwGt4L1i6MXysku12udZ6y0&fref=nf
Is it possible to collect samples to have them independently tested?
Somebody did but I don't think she "tested" them, just picked them up to see them up close.
7G7lx6f

peppers

Right so I read the article and did a tiny bit of research, and I have a few things to say:

1. Sadly, the analysis that these researchers do takes place in the southeast of the Mediteranean Sea, in Israel. This is a point that could be used by the Tenerife government to question the applicability of these results to the particular case of the island. However, even in their own press releases, they cite Trichodesmium erythraeum to be the cause of this bloom, which is exactly the species the article discusses.

2. Following that, evidence of this species of being toxic is quite sparse, since no known toxin has been isolated from cells collected from these blooms. There has been reported toxicity in mice although in super high conditions, and only once has been found a relation between respiratory disorders in humans and blooms of this particular algae. https://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/Trichodesmium_erythraeum#Pathology Here you can find sources for everything.

3. That being said, I whole heartedly believe that these blooms are caused by raw sewage in the ocean (after all the paper basically proves that this is possible although not in this particular area). I just listed reasons (or rather, excuses) that the government could use to justify this fuckery and accuse you of raising unnecessary social alarm. I am more familiar with the scientific side of this matter than I am with European laws, so my impression and advice would be to keep the pressure on that side of the issue. If it's breaking international laws then it should be just a matter of talking to the right people. In my ignorance, I would suggest talking to Greenpeace spain of even Partido PACMA since they tend to take part on these things.

4. Like I said, I will keep an eye on this thread and probably do some more research on this species (even if it's just out of curiosity since I am a biologist). Since I don't have a FB account I can't join the conversation there just yet, but if there's some spanish pressure groups you can point me towards maybe on twitter, feel free to PM me on here or even post them so more people can join.

5. Ánimo compañeros.

shiyrley

Banned
It's slowly extending to other islands. Playa del Puerto de Tazacorte, in La Palma, yesterday:

This time, people claim the smell was unbearable. What surprises me is seeing people actually taking a bath... lmao...
Right so I read the article and did a tiny bit of research, and I have a few things to say:

1. Sadly, the analysis that these researchers do takes place in the southeast of the Mediteranean Sea, in Israel. This is a point that could be used by the Tenerife government to question the applicability of these results to the particular case of the island. However, even in their own press releases, they cite Trichodesmium erythraeum to be the cause of this bloom, which is exactly the species the article discusses.

2. Following that, evidence of this species of being toxic is quite sparse, since no known toxin has been isolated from cells collected from these blooms. There has been reported toxicity in mice although in super high conditions, and only once has been found a relation between respiratory disorders in humans and blooms of this particular algae. https://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/Trichodesmium_erythraeum#Pathology Here you can find sources for everything.

3. That being said, I whole heartedly believe that these blooms are caused by raw sewage in the ocean (after all the paper basically proves that this is possible although not in this particular area). I just listed reasons (or rather, excuses) that the government could use to justify this fuckery and accuse you of raising unnecessary social alarm. I am more familiar with the scientific side of this matter than I am with European laws, so my impression and advice would be to keep the pressure on that side of the issue. If it's breaking international laws then it should be just a matter of talking to the right people. In my ignorance, I would suggest talking to Greenpeace spain of even Partido PACMA since they tend to take part on these things.

4. Like I said, I will keep an eye on this thread and probably do some more research on this species (even if it's just out of curiosity since I am a biologist). Since I don't have a FB account I can't join the conversation there just yet, but if there's some spanish pressure groups you can point me towards maybe on twitter, feel free to PM me on here or even post them so more people can join.

5. Ánimo compañeros.
If that EU girl (Ska Keller) doesn't answer then yes, I'll try to contact Greenpeace and/or PACMA. About pressure groups, basically please sign the change.org and I don't think they are doing anything on twitter, just facebook. Thanks.

shiyrley

Banned
These are pictures from yesterday, in Tenerife, taken in a beach right below the place where I spend my summer every year:
I've went to that beach so many times, including when I was a child, seeing this is horrible. And the government keeps making excuses. Also Ska Keller won't answer

Korey

Ew gross.

I'd write a letter/email to the Spanish/EU health departments. Attach all relevant photos, articles, etc. Maybe just link this thread.

Oppo

well this tourist certainty nixed Tenerife as a destination.

wife suggested it yesterday... i was like, uh, no, there's this thread...

WaterAstro

I just watched a Vice documentary on how they treat human waste. They said they used to dump poop in the ocean until the 90s, at least in the NY area.

Top Bottom