• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that "play themselves"

NinjaBoiX

Who the fuck is andy sirkis? At least uncharted has emily rose and richard mcgonagle.
I dunno dude, Andy Serkis is pretty famous. And also really rather talented. He directed Heavenly Sword and Enslaved, played King Bohan and Monkey in those games, he also played Golum and King Kong. He's hardly a nobody.

Derrick01

Banned
Who the fuck is andy sirkis? At least uncharted has emily rose and richard mcgonagle.

Who the fuck are they? Andy at least played Gollum in a billion dollar movie, what have they done in comparison?

On topic of Uncharted I don't know if I would say it plays itself. I mean yeah the platforming is automatic and I didn't die once in U3 due to platforming but the combat can be a motherfucker. I looked in threads last night and I saw that a lot of people's favorite part was that ship graveyard part which surprised the hell out of me, that was probably my least favorite part. So much cheap bullshit in that area.

But yeah anyway I don't think a game that only plays itself for like 40% of the time counts.

I dunno dude, Andy Serkis is pretty famous. And also really rather talented. He directed Heavenly Sword and Enslaved, played King Bohan and Monkey in those games, he also played Golum and King Kong. He's hardly a nobody.

All of which are extremly overplayed. Worked for Gollum cause he's a nutcase, was shit in everything else.

Kong was ok I guess. Also I was joking, I know who he is.

I have to wonder if many of Uncharted's critics have even played it, sometimes I see it being referred to as a "corridor shooter", I mean what the actual fuck. Most encounters are in open areas and more often than not there's a lot of ways to approach the situation and use the environment. Although it does get annoying when you have to worry about a bazooka bastard spawning on cue off-camera.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
All of which are extremly overplayed. Worked for Gollum cause he's a nutcase, was shit in everything else.

watch sex & drugs & rock & roll. his would've been an oscar calibre performance should any in the academy had even heard of it.

NinjaBoiX

Wow, Andy Serkis is shit huh? It must be his handsome good looks that get him the work.

NinjaBoiX

I remember a video from one of the recent CoD games showing someone beat an entire level on the hardest difficulty without doing...anything.

Here:
CODBLOPS Cuba mission WITHOUT SHOOTING A GUN
If this hasn't been posted in the thread already.
It wasn't the hardest setting dude, come on. Anyone who's ever played a CoD on veteran knows you can't stand still for more than a few seconds without dying. The video was showcasing how ridiculously easy it is on easy. But I'm with CliffyB when he says "easy can never be too easy". It's the mode for people who can't really play the game, but want to experience it.

Foffy

Banned
FFXIII could play itself if you leave the settings on auto battle. I still have no fucking idea why this is an option in the command menu. Many other RPGs with auto battle mechanics are used to speed up fights and offer only the most basic of melee attacks to use. I switched that to manual before even starting the game.

It wasn't the hardest setting dude, come on. Anyone who's ever played a CoD on veteran knows you can't stand still for more than a few seconds without dying. The video was showcasing how ridiculously easy it is on easy. But I'm with CliffyB when he says "easy can never be too easy". It's the mode for people who can't really play the game, but want to experience it.

That wasn't on Easy, it's played on Hardened which is the second highest difficulty setting.

I haven't played Black Ops, but in every other CoD on the hardest difficulty, in most scenes you're dead if you stand still for one second out in the open. They definitely don't play themselves... even when you're being led along like a sidekick, you've got to move your ass, pick your spots to take your shots, be very aware of your surroundings and potential cover, etc. They're anything but passive.

Starfox Adventures.

Whether it's one enemy...

or 6+ it doesn't matter. They'll always attack you one by one and you only have to MASH A TO WIN!!!! It's practically impossible to lose.

The rest of the game is pretty much as brain dead simple.

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask do the exact same thing if you use z-targeting. I guess Stalfos were just more polite back then. Of course, you still have to time your attacks and blocks, so it's not totally comparable to the total disaster that is Starfox Adventures's everything.

NinjaBoiX

By that logic Nolan North is the greatest video game actor ever. I mean, look at his record.
What? So, actor who gets work = greatest actor ever? Weak rebuttal dude.

Besides, Nolan is a pretty solid voice actor, very versatile despite being asked to "do the Drake thing" nine times out of ten.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think we have to be careful here. We have "games that play themselves," which is a very small genre of games, and then Autogames for Tards, which is much wider and contains a bevy of AAA games.

DAO2. It was so shit that one night, after several months of non-use, I found it playing itself because of loneliness

I don't think there are enough games that "play themselves" to the level the OP is talking about

Link1110

Several RPGs come to mind as having auto grinding tricks. Mostly because you can set the AI to handle all battlesbautomatically.

In Tales of Destiny 2 you can rubber band the analog sticks together and leave the console on. They even built a fix for this into the Tales of Destiny remake.

In Dragon Slayer 2:Legend of Heroes, you can tape the skip text button down if it's on turbo and get some auto grinding. The first one is probably the same way since from what I've seen if it looks the same.

Rolf NB

Thread brought back memories of Enslaved. Granted, it's only the traveral that truly handles itself, but man, does it handle itself.

Midou

While his post was extreme hyperbole Fi does provide players with solutions to puzzles mere seconds after you enter some areas.

That isn't true at all, the most she does is "hey that door probably leads to what you're looking for" which is always 100% obvious, Fi never says anything that isn't immensely obvious to everyone.

How so? At least in FFXIII you had to switch paradigms you can literally just leave FFXII alone and come back hours later and still be fine.

Every character you use in FFXII is under your control, whether you use gambits or not. FFXIII gives you AI partners.

Midou

Every character you use in FFXII is under your control, whether you use gambits or not. FFXIII gives you AI partners.

Yes, and Gambits are still only an option, but at the very least, you have full control over how your AI allies act, unlike in FFXIII, where you can give them basic roles at best.

Myriadis

Starfox Adventures.

Whether it's one enemy...
or 6+ it doesn't matter. They'll always attack you one by one and you only have to MASH A TO WIN!!!! It's practically impossible to lose.

The rest of the game is pretty much as brain dead simple.

It seems you haven't played Starfox Adventures lately. They indeed attack you if you are focusing just on one. Not always, but sometimes. Happened to me several times.

And I haven't seen a single game here so far that really plays itself. Every game needs a certain degree of user interaction.Although, I saw that video from that Kinect racing game where the player did nothing and finished on 3rd place or so. That's what I count as an example.

Uncharted 3? I know trolls are gonna troll but some posts seem serious here, the shooting sections in the later half of that game are brutal.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Final Fantasy XIII plays itself? My ass it does. How do people even come to that conclusion?

However you feel about the game play or story, that's as far from the truth as possible. It's linear, but it doesn't play itself. Same with UC3, I'd like to see that game play itself. Some of the fights are ridiculously hard and can't be done without a great deal of effort.

El-Suave

Gears of War 3 - there's an interesting article in German gaming magazine M!Games - the writer played the first act on insane almost without shooting. It wasn't always easy, but it worked.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Didn't one of the dungeon siege games do this? You basically walked from area to area and then everyone automatically fought and cast spells.

NinjaBoiX

Gears of War 3 - there's an interesting article in German gaming magazine M!Games - the writer played the first act on insane almost without shooting. It wasn't always easy, but it worked.
So because some German dude just about managed to wangle his way through the first act almost without shooting (so he shot then), but presumably keeping in cover and working his way through the enviroments, yeah, that means the game plays itself.

Absolutely.

SMH.

And apart from anything else, the first act is notoriously slow, mainly consisting of interactive story segments. I almost made it through wihout shooting and I took every opportunity.

Your statement/his article are about as null and void as they get.

Torraz

Not sure why everyone always bashes FFXII for this. No one had a gun put to their head with regard to using the gambits, right? It was a nice option for some auto-grinding or some brainless late-night sessions.

Any shump. You can beat most of them without moving your ship or firing if you just keep smacking the continue button. Terrible games.

Gambit system in FFXII was great.

Also I kinda think playing through FPS/TPS games without shooting is actually cool. Like beating stages in Mario without stomping enemies.

Frankfurt

Banned
I'm ok with the level of hald-holding, in say, Assassin's Creed platforming. It's easy as hell, but it fits the game and you can still die from a wrong jump, plus the game is about something else, not just platforming. The jumps themselves don't make you finish your target or get an answer from someone you need to interrogate or spy.

But i'm not ok with what we see in Battlefield 3. You press one button and the character deflects a knife, punches three times, rolls on the floor, dances the macarena and takes a sip of coffee (while disarming the bomb, which makes you achieve your mission). The fact those garbage segments are in-between extremelly directed you-can't-do-anything-but-exactly-what-we-want "gameplay", and i can't consider that shit a game at all. I'm rather play Dragon's Lair, which doesn't pretend to be anything but an interactive FMV.

TheOGB

Banned
3D sonic games are littered with boost pads, rail grinding, spring sequences and those rings that all hurl you forward in the one direction forcing the player to go in the specified direction.

I think if at this stage we are using only a couple of games to counter the arguement I think that says enough in itself, and besides, such elements are also heavily present in both these games also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-F0_BvcXpU

I think highlights the point since 90% of that clip is being forced forward by various things.

you used an optional dlc level (in a game that wasn't named in the counter argument) to argue this?

Arcade Mode
LARIAAAAT

That is entirely too much time for any game to be on auto-pilot.

When people refer that FF XIII plays itself, they mean you can let the controller on the floor and you can win every battle?

Because that's not true, hell FF XIII is not even the first JRPG that only let's you control 1 character on your party....

AkuMifune

Banned
I hated FFXIII. But it does have an amazing and intricate combat system that gets brutally deep near the end.

My vote goes to the Uncharted series. The stories are some of the most well told in gaming, but there is barely enough else there to count them as games.

I'm ok with the level of hald-holding, in say, Assassin's Creed platforming. It's easy as hell, but it fits the game and you can still die from a wrong jump, plus the game is about something else, not just platforming. The jumps themselves don't make you finish your target or get an answer from someone you need to interrogate or spy.

But i'm not ok with what we see in Battlefield 3. You press one button and the character deflects a knife, punches three times, rolls on the floor, dances the macarena and takes a sip of coffee (while disarming the bomb, which makes you achieve your mission). The fact those garbage segments are in-between extremelly directed you-can't-do-anything-but-exactly-what-we-want "gameplay", and i can't consider that shit a game at all. I'm rather play Dragon's Lair, which doesn't pretend to be anything but an interactive FMV.

There's not a "wrong jump" on assasin's creed there is a "I shouldn't keep pressing the do all button in that direction", you go in a direction your jump can't reach, that's the most dangerous thing can happen to you on AC, and you'll probably grabbing some edge or somethign so it's rarely fatal....

Top Bottom