• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that "play themselves"

Dragon

Banned
How the hell does UC3 play itself? I never saw the auto battle option anywhere.

People are talking about specifically the platforming. But it's only specific parts of the platforming. You still have to choose the direction and hit a button or use an analog stick. By the strictest definition it's not playing itself.

There are arguments with cutscene heavy games like Xenosaga and MGS4 as well. Those have gameplay but it's largely on the backburner except for huge fans.

NinjaBoiX

You were implying that if he gets work, it's because he's good, so by YOUR logic, Nolan North isn't good, he's great.

In other words, I was saying how dumb that assumption was.
The difference is, Serkis actually gets proper roles in films, and he ain't no oil painting. But whatever, you think he sucks, that's cool. And I never implied a correlation between an actor's ability and their work output. You brought North into it. I was simply saying an actor not exactly blessed in the looks department wouldn't keep getting work without having any talent.

FFXIII doesn't play for itself. Play through more than 6 chapters of the game.

Fact. Plus, if you're smart, you'd know that you can do some pretty awesome tricks to up your damage and decrease damage dealt on you right before attacks. :) The battle system can become pretty deep and fun when you really get into it.

Dynedom

smh at the Uncharted mentions (and some others)

You do realize platforming isn't automatic in Uncharted, right? You can die in the chase sequences if you don't direct Drake, make him jump, etc. Even jumping from platform to platform, you can easily mistime or jump at something you can't grab out of trial and error.

Just because a game lays out one possible path for you doesn't make it play itself. It's called being linear.

How are people even defining "games that play themselves"? How did Arkham Asylum and Gears of War 2 get a single mention in this thread?

I can understand FFXIII because of setting paradigms and using Auto-Battle. I make the same argument for FFXII with its gambit system.

edit: Someone please detail an entire section of an Uncharted game (preferably 2 or 3 but I will go back and play 1 if I have to) that they felt the game played itself and that wasn't an obvious cutscene or the END of a paltforming sequence/in-game cutscene. I'm not trying to be an ass. I want to see if it's true or whether I can understand where you're coming from when you say this.

Kinyou

So because some German dude just about managed to wangle his way through the first act almost without shooting (so he shot then), but presumably keeping in cover and working his way through the enviroments, yeah, that means the game plays itself.

Absolutely.

SMH.

And apart from anything else, the first act is notoriously slow, mainly consisting of interactive story segments. I almost made it through wihout shooting and I took every opportunity.

Your statement/his article are about as null and void as they get.
Though it truly was annoying how "skilled" the AI partners were in Gears of War 3. I felt like I got only to take out half of the enemies while the rest was quickly killed by the 3 AI partners (who follow you through every mission of the game by the way)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The fighter sequence alone in BF3 should garner it a nomination. That shit is just stupid.

Uh yes? If you've never died from a missed jump in an Uncharted game then you've never played an Uncharted game.

I've so had it with people deeming Uncharted as an "automated platformer".

Its pretty automated, dude.

Super Smash Bros.
set all the players to cpu and watch the game play itself
I don't remember, do CPU players count towards matches played. i.e. can only they unlock you played x vs matches stuff in melee/brawl.
Meh flower mode on stamina with 1 HP is quicker

shamanick

Its pretty automated, dude.

No it's not, dude.

I understand that there is a backlash regarding the critical acclaim that the Uncharted series has received and people are free to have the opinion that it's too linear, too cutscene focused, it's hard to aim, etc. But saying it plays itself is either willfully ignorant or impotent trolling.

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask do the exact same thing if you use z-targeting. I guess Stalfos were just more polite back then. Of course, you still have to time your attacks and blocks, so it's not totally comparable to the total disaster that is Starfox Adventures's everything.

Only certain enemies in Zelda do that (like the Stalfos) and most of those are in controlled environments, where it's done for game balancing purposes (the Stalfos rooms in OoT would be incredibly difficult if they didn't use this system). Most enemies are happy to attack you all at once though.

Coxswain

No it's not, dude.

I understand that there is a backlash regarding the critical acclaim that the Uncharted series has received and people are free to have the opinion that it's too linear, too cutscene focused, it's hard to aim, etc. But saying it plays itself is either willfully ignorant or impotent trolling.

It's a pretty accurate assessment of Uncharted's platforming (and not, generally, the rest of the game). By strict, technical definition, yes, you still have to hit the buttons, but other than that, the most difficult part of getting through any platforming section in any Uncharted game is just finding where the next handhold is (and most of the time, Drake will actually turn his head to look at it and/or have a special animation where he starts to reach out toward it if you point the analog stick in the right direction).

This opinion has nothing to do with "backlash" against Uncharted's "critical acclaim". I think they're fantastic games. But the platforming could only be more automated if it were a literal QTE or cutscene.

Tain

This stuff is all very relative, obviously.

When compared to Uncharted, Kirby's Air Ride very much plays itself. When compared to Serious Sam 3, Uncharted very much plays itself.

You were implying that if he gets work, it's because he's good, so by YOUR logic, Nolan North isn't good, he's great.

In other words, I was saying how dumb that assumption was.

yeah, North's acting career certainly matches Serkis's, who, by the way, I almost met once here in London. Almost.

Top Bottom