• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that "play themselves"

Aeana

Uncharted 2/3 and Enslaved both have this problem where you spend a lot of time just holding a direction and tapping a button to traverse.

It didn't bother me at all in Uncharted 2, but I finished Uncharted 3 today and I was incredibly bothered by it by the end.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
That is entirely too much time for any game to be on auto-pilot.
So why do people like FFVII? Last time I played FFVII, holding down O was enough to beat the whole game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Did you get a golden chocobo?
Sorry, holding down O makes my party kill everything. It plays for itself, I can't stop it. And because that's the only thing I need to do in order to beat the game, I'll never touch the materia-menu. I mean, why should I? If I can beat the game with one button, that's good to me! Same thing goes with Paradigms in FFXIII! Who cares about fun!

Prince of Persia 2008. It doesn't literally play itself, but it does it's best to require as little effort from the player as possible. You could probably beat the game using your foot.

Quoted for truth. What crap job ubisoft did on that game. It was literally simpler than pong and required less thought to play than pong. The platforming felt like it ran on automatic. On top of that every level was copied and pasted from the first. Its like they ran out of money after then first level so they just copy and pasted the rest. I had no problem with not dying in the game, it was just that the game was crap.

Yes, mostly because, you had to at least set gambits, so really it was your efforts being put into play.

Yes and you do the same in XIII. You set up your party set-up and then deploy them when ready. So it's already more involved then XII, that is if you are playing XII with gambits heavily used.

But whatever this is a pointless argument.

FFXIII doesn't play for itself. Play through more than 6 chapters of the game.
And even then it hardly plays itself. The parts with two party members were pretty fun. Trying to defeat things as fast as possible with Vannile and Szah was pretty awesome.

Yoshichan

And even then it hardly plays itself. The parts with two party members were pretty fun. Trying to defeat things as fast as possible with Vannile and Szah was pretty awesome.
Yeah man. Now that I think about it, killing enemies in FFXIII is pointless! I should've never engaged battles. I'll remember this for my next playthrough (LOL WHY WOULD I EVER REPLAY A GAME THAT PLAYS ITSELF!), I'll just run straight to the bosses. Hopefully I can auto-battle throughout the bosses, because that's where the fun is at!

Heavy Rain.

As the player you almost feel unnecessary in the experience of "playing the game". Such a crappy excuse for a game with awful gameplay to boot.....Hit O-"Jason!!! Jason!"..Wow, what fun!

A mildly interactive movie would be more accurate to describe this game.

Zomba13

I finished the game mashing the auto command and occasionally switching paradigms.
About as much effort as setting up gambits in FFXII, though those still have a chance to fail.

Utako

Banned
That's just sad
To be fair, the difficulty level is set to "Easy"

Sorry, holding down O makes my party kill everything. It plays for itself, I can't stop it. And because that's the only thing I need to do in order to beat the game, I'll never touch the materia-menu. I mean, why should I? If I can beat the game with one button, that's good to me! Same thing goes with Paradigms in FFXIII! Who cares about fun!
Stop being an embarrassing fool Yoshichan

Yoshichan

Stop being an embarrassing fool Yoshichan
I promise I'll stop when you record yourself beating FFXIII from start to finish with auto-battle and "occasional" paradigm-switching.

Luthos

I finished the game mashing the auto command and occasionally switching paradigms.
About as much effort as setting up gambits in FFXII, though those still have a chance to fail.

Then don't use the auto command?

"But then I just press attack 5 times and select a target!"

Which isn't much different from other FF games. (I love FF games, but I find these arguments to be ridiculous)

Yoshichan

Which isn't much different from other FF games. (I love FF games, but I find these arguments to be ridiculous)

No, please let them think that they were using super time specific, pixel-accurate, ultra demanding micro-management skills in previous Final Fantasy games. It's funnier this way.

Prince of Persia 2008. It doesn't literally play itself, but it does it's best to require as little effort from the player as possible. You could probably beat the game using your foot.

No joke, I once beat a friend in Mario Kart 64 playing with my feet. I was toad on the beach level.

And I don't know if this counts, but Bayonetta on easier difficulties, which I played on since I stink at Devil May Cry games, played itself. You just mashed buttons, things died, and you directed her to the next waypoint.

Zzoram

FFXIII was pretty good combat once you get 3 party members at a time and can organize your party however you want to.

Forcing you to use two characters at a time without getting to choose them for 30% of the game was a horrible design decision.

Also, the story was horrible, and Japanese developers need to stop writing whiny children characters and moaning damsels in distress characters. It's damn embarrassing to play Final Fantasy XIII with anyone around to hear it.

I think the issue with FFXIII's combat is that it takes far, far too long for it all to come together.

The combat is great by the end of the game, where you're actually presented with a challenge, but (beating a dead horse here) the first 20 hours it's just an endless stream of holding forward and spamming a button.

That was my FFXIII experience in any case.

Funny this topic popped up.... I just downloaded Need For Speed Shift 2 for iPad (it was free today) to see what it was like. Apparently you only have to tilt to steer.... And that's it. Maybe there are other configurations that require you to actually control the speed of the vehicle, but in my brief trial, I did not experience that.

Zomba13

Well, in previous FFs I just use attack/auto-attack when able (like grinding mobs or early game bosses etc) but later on you usually need to use more abilities like spells or summons. I've not finished a FF by just using Auto-attack (though It's probably possible if you level enough) but I did beat FFXIII using auto atack/auto choose and only paradigm shifting a bit.
Yeah, I had to choose what is basically a mode (heal/buff/magic/physical) but I never made a choice of what ability to use. At least I don't remember. I think I tried for a fight or two but it was so much more efficient to let the game decide what moves to use.

CyReN

256px-Tom_Clancy%27s_Splinter_Cell_Conviction.jpg

So much..

Anteater

It didn't bother me at all in Uncharted 2, but I finished Uncharted 3 today and I was incredibly bothered by it by the end.

One of the problem is that I couldn't even skip some of those when I replay the game, almost each chapter has a large section of chasing/walking/big puzzle/platform/fist fight lumped into them, so it's left with this last quarter of the game that I would go back to, which isn't really much... and some of those sections weren't really that fun either.

It's like the problem with Bayonetta where they put this long boring space harrier section before a boss fight, except they did them a lot more in uncharted 3.

this doesn't count, but I was reminded of it by this thread:

get the suzuki escudo pikes peak in Gran Turismo 3. max it out with upgrades.

set the controls so the right analog stick accelerates when it is pressed to the left.

use a rubber band to pull the analog sticks towards each other. this ensures that the car constantly accelerates while turning right.

enter 8 hour endurance race. your beast vehicle will drive along the righthand wall of the track and win.

those videos of luigi winning are hilarious. the other characters are total idiots.

It's always fun seeing what the AI does when you do the unexpected. In the original SF2, the AI would jump around a lot and occasionally poke you if you just stood still. It had no idea WTF was going on.

Icicle

In the Tales games, you can set all characters to 'Auto' fight, so you don't have to control them during battles, or just manage items and orders.

I like games that have auto-battle function like Persona 3's AI (well, something smarter than P3's AI but similar in other JRPGs).

Sounds like every every platformer ever.

My favorite game can be beaten by pushing forward and hitting a button. This sounds like a lot of games.

Scapegoat

Oh wow i had never seen that. That's embarassing, it's not even a shooting gallery if you don't have to shoot things.
But your teammates have guns too...? In a lot of shooting gallerys you only get a limited amount of time to shoot targets before they drop down or move off to the side. If the game waited for you to kill dudes to proceed people would be complaining that your highly trained AI buddies with guns were absolutely useless thus creating a disconnect, and it would be so much more immersive if they could take the dudes out if you did nothing :/

Heavy Rain.

As the player you almost feel unnecessary in the experience of "playing the game". Such a crappy excuse for a game with awful gameplay to boot.....Hit O-"Jason!!! Jason!"..Wow, what fun!

Sure the player is unnecessary if you want all the protagonists to die at the earliest possible point in the game? But if you want to help the characters stay alive and catch the killer you need to play...

Does S.T.A.L.K.E.R. count? I think I remember during the hype up pre-release at one point they said that the other NPC mercenaries could theoretically go off and complete the main quest while you were mucking about, or am I just remembering some weird fever dream?

Zwei

Heavy Rain.

Sold!

But your teammates have guns too...? In a lot of shooting gallerys you only get a limited amount of time to shoot targets before they drop down or move off to the side. If the game waited for you to kill dudes to proceed people would be complaining that your highly trained AI buddies with guns were absolutely useless thus creating a disconnect, and it would be so much more immersive if they could take the dudes out if you did nothing :/

I don't care particularly of the enjoyment of AI NPCs. Better to have useless teammates than a useless player, don't you think? And this is a false choice anyway, there are thousands of ways to make the player feel invested and important without dumbing down his companions.

MutFox

Banned
Flower

The interactive Screensaver

Put an elastic band on the controller to hold a button down.
The game will eventually finish itself.

Top Bottom