• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley - Season 3 of the hilarious Mike Judge comedy series - HBO Sundays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shahadan

8P9wz8L.gif

I must admit this gif made me start watching the show. I had never heard of it before and loved every bit of it.

Bitanator

Martin Starr is hilarious, he played my favorite character in Freaks and Geeks as well, much different attitude in this show however.

ampere

So weird that I have to renew HBO Now on my phone and can't use my browser

I'm ready for more Silicon Valley though!

hom3land

Can't wait.. It's the perfect show to watch after game of thrones. Now to subscribe to HBO for the next few months..

William

Season 2 was exceptional! Cant wait. I am glad to see this is getting some good write ups. The addition of Stephen Tobolowsky can only be a good thing.

- Newsday review
BOTTOM LINE Giving business the business is outrageous fun.

Grade: A-
- Collider review:
What continues to be so impressive about the show is how it investigates the nuances of dull business dealings in a way that feels emotionally urgent. Maybe it’s a connection to the universal contempt (and yet, universal use) of corporate buzzspeak, or the crushing soullessness of cubicle culture and — as this season so brilliantly puts it — thinking inside the box that makes the journey the lads of Pied Piper face so compelling. It’s a new spin on cringe comedy that sets grim realities in a candy-colored world (with artisanal lunch menus, neon billiards tables, and bean bag chairs meant to entice employees into working their lives away).

5 stars - Excellent

Super excited for this! This has been my go-to media when I want to put something on and chill/have a laugh. I've watched this series through 5-6 times over and it NEVER gets old to me. Really glad it's reviewing well.

GavinGT

Banned
I'm fucking psyched.

From the trailer,
I'm surprised to see Bighead apparently back with Pied Piper. The last episode of S2 sort of implied he was being groomed to take over Gavin Belson's spot at Hooli (although maybe he does and just gets fired right away).

ShOcKwAvE

Watched the first three S3 episodes last night, thanks to a friend with special access. Despite a few minor annoyances with the turns taken in ep3, I'm loving it overall.

Brief spoilers:

Ep1 conflict involves Richard dealing with being demoted to CTO (not really fired) and not wanting to work under Jack Barker as CEO, but he changes his mind after finally meeting him and Jack saying he wouldn't take the job if Richard isn't involved.

Ep2 is where things start to go south for Richard. Jack brings in sales people because he pivots away from the freemium model to enterprise. Then Richard accidentally gives the sales team an idea and they turn it into a product concept for a rackmount security box of some sort. Jack embraces it, which bothers Richard since it negates everything he wants to do with his platform.

BTW there's a "special" scene in ep2 involving horses and I guarantee you will say WTF.

Ep3 has an amazing Ocean's 11 tribute montage where the group hatches a skunkworks plan to get their platform built without Jack or anyone realizing. It had me grinning from ear to ear, but their plan is stupidly ruined in the very last scene of the episode. That was a huge disappointment to me because I thought they were setting up an arc for the rest of the season and now it's gone :(

Also they bring Carla back in ep3 (the girl programmer in S2) but only for a minute, which was another of the plot points that bothered me. I'd definitely be happy if she comes back in a more stable role.

From the trailer,
I'm surprised to see Bighead apparently back with Pied Piper. The last episode of S2 sort of implied he was being groomed to take over Gavin Belson's spot at Hooli (although maybe he does and just gets fired right away).

Gavin announces a layoff of the entire Nucleus team and Bighead gets a $20m severance package. You read that right.

EW print review:
The high-IQ ensemble cracks the code with rapid-fire jokes on geek culture and frantic tension, striking a balance that continues to make the show a gutsy look at how success requires failing again... and again... and again.

Grade A-

PSGames

Watched a couple episodes due to this thread and the show is hilarious! Thanks for the heads up. Will more than likely binge the earlier seasons this weekend.

Misha

Banned
Also they bring Carla back in ep3 (the girl programmer in S2) but only for a minute, which was another of the plot points that bothered me. I'd definitely be happy if she comes back in a more stable role.
That's what I've been wondering most for this season. I was hoping they'd be able to bump her up for at least a once per episode role. disappointing that it doesn't at least start that way

Season premiere tonight:
Founder Friendly

After being fired, an angry Richard faces a tough decision; Erlich approves of Laurie's new choice of CEO; Dinesh and Gilfoyle weigh their options in Richard's absence; Gavin tries to improve his image; Big Head gets wind of major changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom