• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/07/samsung-focus-2-windows-phone/
focus-2-wp-2012-05-07-600.jpg

Why couldn't they make the Focus S in LTE?
I suspect they want to stay at entry-level until WP8 allows them to actually push the envelope.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I tried an invisibleShield on my Lumia 900 last week and ended up taking it off several days later. Think I'm not going to bother with a shield protector.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I think I fixed the problem

http://i.imgur.com/TjuTK.jpg[IMG]

No more wasted space and pixels![/QUOTE]

why are the icons still so big? there's so much wasted space

if you made them smaller and aligned them into 5 rows of 4 that would look much better.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Pull down notification shades are all the craze now. Even Apple said eff it with their OS design and stuck an I'll fitting notification shade into their devices. Lets do it MS!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
No no no, Zune Pass is awesome. (specifically old school Zune Pass w/ credits)

Old school doesn't exist though. Now Zune Pass isn't really any different from Rdio or Spotify really. It's slightly cheaper I guess if you buy a years worth. That's it though.

I hope MS "Woodstock" music service is something cool. As of now it sounds not really much different from Zune pass rebranded.

Commodore

Old school doesn't exist though. Now Zune Pass isn't really any different from Rdio or Spotify really. It's slightly cheaper I guess if you buy a years worth. That's it though.

I hope MS "Woodstock" music service is something cool. As of now it sounds not really much different from Zune pass rebranded.

It was a subtle gloat post. I do love my Pass. Still, easily the best music service that isn't available to everyone. Hipster's dream. As for Woodstock, one of the things I'm most curious about. MS_Nerd simply tweeted Spotify and Microsoft sitting in a tree...I'm guessing it'll likely involve a partnership, and an increase in places Spotify is able to be streamed from. I'm mostly interested in them opening access to services to everyone instead of the walled garden approach.

What's so good about Zune?

Stream as much music as you want, plus keep (own) 10 songs per month, for $100 a year.

Of course, now Zune pass is the above, but without the 10 songs per month, unfortunately. Now, in terms of streaming services, I don't know if its head and shoulders above the rest anymore, but if you have a Windows Phone, there's little reason to choose the others over it due to the integration.

Commodore

What's so good about Zune?

Well, this would be no longer relevant to anyone signing up now, like Brettison mentioned, Zune Pass, or XBOX music, or whatever they plan on calling it, is basically the same as most music subscription services right now. Ten bucks, unlimited streaming, syncing to a device. Though Zune Pass right now does offer syncing to multiple devices on the same subscription, I believe they are still at three devices and up to three different computers. Not sure if it's still. So two or three people could essential share a subscription and split the cost. But the grandfather'ed credit plan, is still absolutely fantastic as a music discovery service. Basically, for $15/month, you get 10 credits to use to pick songs you keep DRM free. So for $5, you get to unlimited access to a whole music catalog (I think they are somewhere around 12 million tracks now) and you can simply play and download anything, everything, and discover stuff you never would have checked out otherwise, and then with the credits keep the stuff you love. More of less eliminates the serious con of subscription services when you cancel, you say goodbye to all that access to all that music you're used to.

And when you pair the Pass with a Windows Phone, you have an OS level way of discovering music, as well as being able to stream or download, as well as use a credit via the phone anything on the catalog. It's fantastic.

Edit: beaten. twice.

strata8

Pull down notification shades are all the craze now. Even Apple said eff it with their OS design and stuck an I'll fitting notification shade into their devices. Lets do it MS!

Windows 8 (and I'm assuming Windows Phone 8) uses the downwards swipe gesture to close the application, so that's probably a no go.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It was a subtle gloat post. I do love my Pass. Still, easily the best music service that isn't available to everyone. Hipster's dream. As for Woodstock, one of the things I'm most curious about. MS_Nerd simply tweeted Spotify and Microsoft sitting in a tree...I'm guessing it'll likely involve a partnership, and an increase in places Spotify is able to be streamed from. I'm mostly interested in them opening access to services to everyone instead of the walled garden approach.

Put me down for this. One thing that currently sucks about Zune is it's a walled garden found only in certain locations ie MS OS/Hardware. Great thing about Spotify is they have an app for basically everything now (they finally released their iPad app), and Rdio takes it a step further by making their streaming service for non mobile web based so as long as you have a browser you get the same service.

I still like the way Zune handles things, and I really like some of the graphical touches Zune Player in Windows as well as Zune on WP does over competing players. Ironically though supposedly the best version of the Spotify App is the WP version. LOL Guess it helps when MS does a lot of the work for you though similar to Last.FM.

Troll

Banned
Hey guys, let's play a drinking game.

Two Rules:

1. Every time an underwhelming Windows Phone is announced we take a shot.

2. Every time a Windows Phone article posted online pisses you off, take a shot.

I'll call it "Death by Alcohol Poisoning", what does WPGAF think?

PG2G

Speaking of Zune Pass, I've been having some issues using credits recently. I right click on a song, select Use song Credits (I have 9 available) then it complains that I don't have enough points and need to purchase some. Anyone else experienced this? I have tried a number of different titles.

Something weird happened with my phone.

The battery died over the weekend and I couldn't find the micro-USB cable to charge it, so it was w/o juice for few days. Yesterday I got a new cable, charged the phone and when I turned it on, it seems that a semi-reset happened. The lockscreen wallpaper was the default Mango wallpaper, my E-Mail accounts were gone, my contacts and messages were still there, but it said there wasn't a Live ID, the Facebook stream still worked, though. The previously deleted stock wallpapers were back as well. Biggest problem now is that I can't add a Live ID anymore. Obvious solution would be a complete reset, but I don't want to lose my messages again. This is fucked. Fuck this phone and fuck this OS, I'll get a Blackberry 10!

Gaspode_T

You are free to pm me some sort of complete report with as much details as you can and I can try to send it to the appropriate place to get an answer for you...it is night in Japan so it might be tomorrow though before I can send it...

Did you hack mango onto your phone or that sort of thing? If you didn't it will be even easier for me to get an answer for you

giga

Something weird happened with my phone.

The battery died over the weekend and I couldn't find the micro-USB cable to charge it, so it was w/o juice for few days. Yesterday I got a new cable, charged the phone and when I turned it on, it seems that a semi-reset happened. The lockscreen wallpaper was the default Mango wallpaper, my E-Mail accounts were gone, my contacts and messages were still there, but it said there wasn't a Live ID, the Facebook stream still worked, though. The previously deleted stock wallpapers were back as well. Biggest problem now is that I can't add a Live ID anymore. Obvious solution would be a complete reset, but I don't want to lose my messages again. This is fucked. Fuck this phone and fuck this OS, I'll get a Blackberry 10!
Kind of sucks that there's no auto backup mechanism for these types of issues. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom