• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tequila Works reaquired the rights to RiME

I highly doubt Sony actually thought that the trailers they released were actually representative how the current state of the game.

Rumors are the the first part of the game was JUST FINISHED.

I'm actually with you on that. I'd be shocked if Sony didn't have more info on the status of the game than what we had been shown. Wonder f they just viewed their investment into the game as sort of a lottery ticket that might pay off with more time and money. Keep in mind they also gave the game a pretty cushy announcement spot on their reel. This wasn't just some game they quietly announced on their blog. Obviously there was some point in time where development looked promising before everything fell off a cliff.

daman824

Sega were led to believe that the E3 demo of Colonial Marines was the bar that every other part of the game would match. We now know that didn't happen. They also stated that on multiple occasions Gearbox would show and say things to the press without their approval.
You'd rather believe that this situation is like the saga/gearbox thing? alright nothing I do can really convince you otherwise.

But it would still be irresponsible for Sony to let something like that happen just like it was irresponsible of Sega to let gearbox do that. It's their IP, it's their money, they should be watching over these studios making sure they are hitting deadlines.

I'm not trying to start a boycott or anything against Sony. I think they should have waited to announce the game. And based on what we know now, not doing so was a bit irresponsible.

Most of the blame is on the developers for not making something tangible in three years. But I'm still slightly ticked off at everyone involved when this was one of my most anticipated projects and I find out that what I thought was gameplay, wasn't even the actual game.

Trevelyon

I'm actually with you on that. I'd be shocked if Sony didn't have more info on the status of the game than what we had been shown. Wonder f they just viewed their investment into the game as sort of a lottery ticket that might pay off with more time and money.

I'm curious, would a in-house Sony animation studio or partner CGI house knock the trailer up on Sony's request and with, obviously, TW's input or could have TW put this all together themselves?

Just rather not believe this bait and switch was on Sony, after previous generations' transgressions.

mekes

Wow at Iherre's post..

Its actually sad if true, because the game (or now, video) showed SO much promise. I know plenty here were feeling very excited to play Rime and it had achieved a great level of exposure. I mean, that EDGE front cover.. I feel plenty put in my place as far as expectations based on trailers if this is indeed true.

Last part being something I should have learned years ago, but still..

...... :/

nib95

Banned
Damn, this is one of my most anticipated games. Hopefully this isn't a sign that development is going poorly.

You'd rather believe that this situation is like the saga/gearbox thing? alright nothing I do can really convince you otherwise.

But it would still be irresponsible for Sony to let something like that happen just like it was irresponsible of Sega to let gearbox do that. It's their IP, it's their money, they should be watching over these studios making sure they are hitting deadlines.

I'm not saying it's exactly like the Gearbox situation. What i'm saying is that Sony has been very good this generation about not doing another Killzone. Their change in constantly showing real footage seems to be a direct response to all the pushback they received over that Killzone trailer. So it wouldn't make sense for the exception to that rule to be a small indie game.

Ridley327

lherre's post is pretty damning, but I'm sad that I'm not more surprised. TW has really never struck me as a studio that knows where its priorities should be and hopes that someone is willing to put up with them for as long as it takes to get something to ship. I can't fault Sony for cutting bait.

daman824

I'm not saying it's exactly like the Gearbox situation. What i'm saying is that Sony has been very good this generation about not doing another Killzone. Their change in constantly showing real footage seems to be a direct response to all the pushback they received over that Killzone trailer. So it wouldn't make sense for the exception to that rule to be a small indie game.
This game was being hyped up quite a bit a few years back

Honestly, did this game really have all that much value now TLG isnt vapourware?

It always came across as something people were looking forward to because they thought TLG wasnt coming.

That said, this praticise of annoucing games with CGI trailers, with no relation to the actual final product, needs to stop. Sony is full at fault for not having something concrete before annoucement.

All this info comes from a source very close to the studio.

First of all, I was told that the reveal trailer was all cinematic. It was faked to mimic gameplay, assets, etc. from a real game but 0% of the game was implemented.

So the real challenge for the studio was to put that vision into the final game. And apparently this has been impossible to achieve.

This words are a direct quote from my source about this news and the studio itself (it contains his personal opinion):

"Sony required about one month ago the DEV KITs to be returned and canceled the fundings into Tequila Works, due of the game had no-sense. Basically there wasn't a game.

This is a consecuence of the bad studio direction, basically Raul Rubio thinks that he is the next Tim Schafer. The truth is that Raul was fired from MercurySteam. The people from MercurySteam speak really bad about him (the main critics are: he has no idea about games, technology and he has crazy ideas without sense). If you add that his wife is the chairman of Tequila Works and looking for info about her you can find this:

http://www.notariado.org/liferay/we...4233524_ELIG_NOT_PARAM_SITUACION=AC&FLAG=MAIL

You could see that she is public notary in Spain. She hasn't any background making games. The results are, that Rime has no publisher and it is not cancelled due of they got public spanish founds to develop games:

http://www.minetur.gob.es/PortalAyu...nts/Listado_PropuestaProvisionalConcesion.pdf

If you take a look into their website and you compare the hellworkers list with the original team from Deadlight , only a couple guys remains from the original team. If all the team has left the studio, you must think that something wrong there is into the top of the company."

I'm a bit sad to be honest since i was there in the first days of the studio (not working).

Thanks for sharing this.

Man, this game was on my radar for so long. Such a damn shame.

Honestly, did this game really have all that much value now TLG isnt vapourware?

It always came across as something people were looking forward to because they thought TLG wasnt coming.

I won't lie and say that didn't have that an effect on me but even then, it not's as if we get platformers like these everyday or as beautiful as that trailer made it to be.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I could take this if it was just big development issues, but now it turns out they were scamming us all along. The trailer just being cg... that hurts. RIP Rime. Also surprised Sony left them hanging this long.

I could take this if it was just big development issues, but now it turns out they were scamming us all along. The trailer just being cg... that hurts. RIP Rime. Also surprised Sony left them hanging this long.

It doesn't sound like Sony left anyone hanging, they just wanted these guys to make a game and in the end it became apparent that they couldn't do it.

Joqu

This all sounds terrible but I want this game to turn out good so bad. There's no way I won't be hopeful if it looks like it'll end up releasing in the future, the trailers were right up my alley.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.

First of all, I was told that the reveal trailer was all cinematic. It was faked to mimic gameplay, assets, etc. from a real game but 0% of the game was implemented.

So the real challenge for the studio was to put that vision into the final game. And apparently this has been impossible to achieve.

This words are a direct quote from my source about this news and the studio itself (it contains his personal opinion):

"Sony required about one month ago the DEV KITs to be returned and canceled the fundings into Tequila Works, due of the game had no-sense. Basically there wasn't a game.

This is a consecuence of the bad studio direction, basically Raul Rubio thinks that he is the next Tim Schafer. The truth is that Raul was fired from MercurySteam. The people from MercurySteam speak really bad about him (the main critics are: he has no idea about games, technology and he has crazy ideas without sense). If you add that his wife is the chairman of Tequila Works and looking for info about her you can find this:

http://www.notariado.org/liferay/we...4233524_ELIG_NOT_PARAM_SITUACION=AC&FLAG=MAIL

You could see that she is public notary in Spain. She hasn't any background making games. The results are, that Rime has no publisher and it is not cancelled due of they got public spanish founds to develop games:

http://www.minetur.gob.es/PortalAyu...nts/Listado_PropuestaProvisionalConcesion.pdf

If you take a look into their website and you compare the hellworkers list with the original team from Deadlight , only a couple guys remains from the original team. If all the team has left the studio, you must think that something wrong there is into the top of the company."

I'm a bit sad to be honest since i was there in the first days of the studio (not working).

Well, I can believe this. The trailer made the game look highly polished and fully realized, especially for a small independent team.

A shame to tease the public with such a unique idea and have it turn out to be someone fluffing their ego.

Tough to say, but lesson well learned.

Hopefully this puts Hello Games' efforts with No Man's Sky in perspective, and how hard it is to deliver on big ambitions.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It doesn't sound like Sony left anyone hanging, they just wanted these guys to make a game and in the end it became apparent that they couldn't do it.

Well, that's it: 'in the end'. Don't they regularly check up on the teams? It should've been clear or obvious sooner that things weren't working out. They'd been working on this for a few years at least.

KooopaKid

Banned
The game never was anything more that vaporware at this point.
They have shown so little, something was up.
No reason to get an XBO, one less reason to get a PS4. PC + Nintendo for the rest of this gen might be enough for me after all. Uncharted 4 + The Last Guardian isn't enough anymore.

Sad news.....the premise to the game sounded amazing...too good to be true I guess, can a brother at last get an Ico Sotc port to ps4 please

Wasn't Raul Rubio the very same dude that fucked up development for Lords of Shadow 2 when he was at Mercury Steam or am I thinking of someone different?

If Sony saw how bad the game was going , Nintendo is going to see that too.

I see no chance of that happening unless Nintendo is really desperate for exclusives.

There are other projects nintendo can waste their money on.

Like this one? :^)

91Exc13bSzL._SY606_.jpg

*rest of post*

Wow, if all of this is true I'm really saddened and disappointed. Seems like a huge lack of character on the developer's part if this is legitimate.

KooopaKid

Banned

Wow what a waste if true. SOON indeed.

Sorral

Looks like I need to forget about this game completely. :/ Such a shame, those videos had a friend and I really fooled as they seem to have fooled just about everyone.

If true, then ItsDeadJim.gif

But how is it that even before the debut trailer at Gamescom, Sony hadn't seen a playable build? How did TW even manage to pitch this without some sort of playable vertical slice, no matter how rough?

If that were actually the case games like knack wouldn't exist.

What the actual hell? Knack was a launch game published by Sony 1st party studio. Knack is actually liked by a lot of people and it has sold quite nicely.

Rime is not 1st party game like Knack. Sony was only a publisher partner for Tequila. The game sucked, Sony got out and cut the losses. Knack was a launch game from a 1st party studio. You cannot drop that even though the game is considered to be mediocre.

This is not a Fable Legends/Lionhead situation. Can you stop the spinning, it's pretty obvious?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
At least he managed to ship a game lol

WELL WHICH IS IT

Well Mercury Stream supposedly fired him, but another poster said that Alvarez guy was responsible.

If true, then ItsDeadJim.gif

But how is it that even before the debut trailer at Gamescom, Sony hadn't seen a playable build? How did TW even manage to pitch this without some sort of playable vertical slice, no matter how rough?

I think they had that one level they were focus testing over, and over, and over, and over...

3 years later, over, and over...

Top Bottom