• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxim726X

Man, has anyone read the proposed changes to the AHCA?

Whew. Bill is even shittier, if that's at all possible.

Politico seems to believe that there aren't enough votes in the House... What is the consensus?

Blader

Man, has anyone read the proposed changes to the AHCA?

Whew. Bill is even shittier, if that's at all possible.

Politico seems to believe that there aren't enough votes in the House... What is the consensus?

Mark Meadows was saying last night the HFC won't formally oppose the bill as a group, but that he doesn't believe Trump/Ryan have enough conservatives on board to pass it.

Maxim726X

Mark Meadows was saying last night the HFC won't formally oppose the bill as a group, but that he doesn't believe Trump/Ryan have enough conservatives on board to pass it.

That seems to be different from the tune he was singing last week... I wonder if enough changes were made to shift them over.

Shit. This may pass the House.

I feel that the bill will pass House for sure.

Starting to get the same feeling.

AndyD

aka andydumi
That seems to be different from the tune he was singing last week... I wonder if enough changes were made to shift them over.

Shit. This may pass the House.

Starting to get the same feeling.

It'll be passed on the promise of "this is just the first wave" "we're going to take care of seniors". Then falter in the Senate.

Vixdean

I also think it'll pass the House, but I don't see how it passes the Senate in it's current form. moderate Senators won't vote for a bill that cuts Medicaid so deeply and the conservatives won't be appeased unless all the tax credits and Medicaid expansion are gone. The Senate amendments will make the bill unpassable in the House, as it will likely make tax credits more generous, especially for the near elderly. This will either force them to keep some of the taxes or make the bill add to the deficit, because remember this bill really only works by hanging people 50-65 out to dry. Otherwise it won't save any money and premiums in 10 years won't be lower compared to current law.

Maxim726X

It'll be passed on the promise of "this is just the first wave" "we're going to take care of seniors". Then falter in the Senate.

I mean, if Ryan had to make more concessions to the crazies in the HFC then I can't imagine that it's going to be palatable to more moderate members of the Senate.

But I never underestimate the ability of Republicans to fall in line.

Seems like the best-case scenario is for it to pass the House, then fail in the Senate. That way we get to tie it around congressmens' necks in 2018, Trump takes a huge L, and we avoid a horrible policy outcome. I suppose the downside is that it makes passing it more likely.

The "plan" for the GOP is probably

- The house "barely" passes the House
- It gets him stalled in the senate for awhile, hoping people kind of just forget about it
- If people don't, they make some nothing changes to pretend to care
- They pray to god that the Democrats filibuster
- They spend the next 2 years screaming on TV that the Democrats won't let them do anything, AND they don't get the bill they didn't even want passed and their names aren't etched into the steaming pile of failure

They basically want their cake and to eat it as well. It's probably not going to work out so cleanly for them. They went a little overboard on step 1.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Gorsuch's hearing is pretty good. Republicans probably unhappy with his answers. Grassley looked like an idiot.

His voice is so similar to Howard Stern too.

Gorsuch's hearing is pretty good. Republicans probably unhappy with his answers. Grassley looked like an idiot.

There are so many things going wrong with the GOP right now, the Dems could easily just stop this SC nominee forever if they wanted. Whose going to actually vote against the Democrats for a Supreme Court nominee when people are dying in the streets and nobody has jobs?

The Dems hold power in this, they just need to realize it.

Oriel

GOP be like:

C7cFN_SW4AAGTeg.jpg

FyreWulff

Rep. Maxine Waters:

https://twitter.com/MaxineWaters/status/844170858159636480

I mean, I'm ready but this seems like an ill-advised tweet. Not that it matters. Not that anything matters anymore, really.

Won her district with 77% of the vote last election. There's a reason she's the one that made the tweet, she's pretty safe.

edit: year - victory percent

2016 - 77%
2014 - 71%
2012 - 71% (against another Dem due to redistricting)
2010 - 80%
2008 - 83% (a Republican and Libertarian split the rest)
2006 - 84%
2004 - 80%
2002 - 76%
2000 - 87%

etc..

Maxim726X

I really wish people wouldn't throw comments (the tweet) like this out there lightly. It pushes the "he'll never get impeached" narrative so much harder when they're wrong.

But hopefully this is something?

An alternate take- She is throwing out copious red meat to her base, a la Trump, which apparently gets them interested in the current political climate of the day.

She frankly has sounded like a lunatic lately, and I wouldn't take a goddamn thing she says seriously.

Vixdean

What Gorsuch is basically saying, taken to it's logical conclusion, is that he would refuse to hear any case that challenges a prior SCOTUS decision because that decision is established law and cannot be changed by a court.

What Gorsuch is basically saying, taken to it's logical conclusion, is that he would refuse to hear any case that challenges a prior SCOTUS decision because that decision is established law and cannot be changed by a court.
They're not going to like his stance on Roe v Wade or gay marriage.

NeoXChaos

Did he not read about Plessy V Ferguson and Brown Vs Board of Education?

Blader

That's the approach they decided to take? Shit maybe this bill is really dead.

I meant in terms of voters booting out House Rs next year they vote for this thing.

That seems like a weird position for a SCOTUS justice to take. Since they literally have that power.

Maxim726X

I meant in terms of voters booting out House Rs next year they vote for this thing.

That seems like a weird position for a SCOTUS justice to take. Since they literally have that power.

From what I understand, his public persona and his record contradict drastically.

He often breaks legal precedence when presiding over corporate overreach cases... I wouldn't believe a fucking word the guy says, but he sure does play the part well.

i dont understand why mika and joe were giving donny softball interviews and fawning over him during the election, and now on their show every day its like the donald trump is ass hour

Maxim726X

i dont understand why mika and joe were giving donny softball interviews and fawning over him during the election, and now on their show every day its like the donald trump is ass hour

Probably because: A) He was entertaining, B) They thought that campaign Trump would actually be different than president Trump.

Or, maybe they now realize that they were partially complicit in letting him off the hook for ratings.

Emarv

There's a lot of liberals who just want Dems to obstruct the GOP congress at every turn like the Republicans did during Obama. Retribution and all that, and I get that even if I don't entirely agree with it.

However, I do think that Dems need to learn from this that if they take back power in 2018 and 2020, they need to be fearless. Not try to appease the right. Sure, maybe reach out to some moderates, but otherwise, next time they're in power, they need to go for broke.

Blader

From what I understand, his public persona and his record contradict drastically.

He often breaks legal precedence when presiding over corporate overreach cases... I wouldn't believe a fucking word the guy says, but he sure does play the part well.

Yeah, I don't believe any conservative justice would ever say or believe that Roe v. Wade is untouchable by virtue of already being SCOTUS precedent. I also don't believe for a second that Trump never discussed certain issue litmus tests -- particularly Roe v. Wade, which he talked about endlessly on the campaign -- with Gorsuch. Just seems like a strange statement to make, since the power to overturn previous SCOTUS rulings is a large part of SCOTUS' power. They're literally the only judges able to do that.

sean hannity loves saying 'alt left' like there are liberals out there as equally bad as the anti semitic, xenophobic, propaganda swilling young 4 chan assholes that commit such wonderful acts like sending a gif to someone they don't like that causes them to have a seizure

Owzers

sean hannity loves saying 'alt left' like there are liberals out there as equally bad as the anti semitic, xenophobic, propaganda swilling young 4 chan assholes that commit such wonderful acts like sending a gif to someone they don't like that causes them to have a seizure
Alt left radical left jihad. The guy is a clown who learned new snowflake words.

Maxim726X

I'am watching it now and I'am quite surprised TBH. So far he doesn't seem so bad. He's not regressive which is quite good.

Don'tbelievehislies.gif.

Look at his history, not his words. Not that I think he's ultra-conservative or anything (probably less so than Scalia), but he almost always sides with big business at the expense of the little guy.

Don'tbelievehislies.gif.

Look at his history, not his words. Not that I think he's ultra-conservative or anything (probably less so than Scalia), but he almost always sides with big business at the expense of the little guy.

I mean he's not ideal, but anyone is a step up from Scalia. As long as he doesn't overturn some shit than I'am not raging. I was expecting some crazy conservative religious zealot. I would never expect a republican pick to ever be for the employee.

Not that I am happy with this pick as I wish we got a real progressive, but I'am not throwing a brick at my TV.

Wilsongt

The Trump administration’s gradual erasure of LGBT people from the work of the federal government is still underway. This week, the Department of Health and Human Services arbitrarily decided to just stop counting LGBT people in two critical surveys, eliminating vital data collection that could be used to help address the health disparities that LGBT people are known to experience.

The Center for American Progress noticed two different surveys were no longer going to ask participants whether they identify as LGBT: The National Survey of Older Americans Act Participants and the Annual Program Performance Report for Centers for Independent Living. The former is an annual national survey governed by the Older Americans Act (OAA) that ensures that older adults have the social support they need in life, such as access to food, transportation, and caregiver support. The latter evaluates services that help people with disabilities to live independently. LGBT members of both of these communities have been shown to experience increased rates of discrimination , which creates a barrier to accessing these crucial services.

The notice announcing the 2017 draft of the OAA survey notably described the survey as having “no changes,” despite the fact that the question inviting participants to identify as LGBT was cut. This constitutes a blatant lie by the administration.

And the lying didn’t stop there. The AP reported on the survey change and spoke to Kelly Mack, a spokeswoman for the Administration for Community Living (ACL), which oversees the two surveys. She said that the LGBT question was included in the past as a “pilot,” but that the sample size was too small to draw reliable conclusions. This, however, is directly contradicted by a note still included on the ACL’s page containing the results of past surveys. That note assures that despite the small sample size on the sexual orientation question, “ACL is working to refine these questions (with other experts in the field), adjust the sample size, and obtain an acceptable level of standard error measurement.”

You know, just totes cas erasing the existence of LGBT individuals for certain circumstances.

There's a lot of liberals who just want Dems to obstruct the GOP congress at every turn like the Republicans did during Obama. Retribution and all that, and I get that even if I don't entirely agree with it.

However, I do think that Dems need to learn from this that if they take back power in 2018 and 2020, they need to be fearless. Not try to appease the right. Sure, maybe reach out to some moderates, but otherwise, next time they're in power, they need to go for broke.

How do you go broke with multiple members from rural white districts? We're going to see a return of blue dog-type democrats winning seats, assuming Trump implodes the House. Redistricting/gerrymandering reform would likely help with this, but in the meantime it's not a good situation if you're dreaming of single payer and other things that won't happen anytime soon.

Blader

My biggest issue with Scalia is not that he was a Constitutional originalist or super conservative, but that he was plainly a bigot, used his originalism to justify his bigotry and, perhaps worst of all, clearly delighted in trolling people with opinions that reveled in his thinly veiled bigotry.

It's like how Trump uses fake news to describe literally any legitimate media outlet. It's just a way of co-opting an anti-Trump talking point and devaluing its effectiveness.

Its like John Roberts all over again. Gorush will sound reasonable and then vote with Thomas and Alito 80% of the time.

heh, that's exactly what Schumer said after meeting with him, too.

Surfinn

Maybe we got spoiled with Comey, but Gorsuch's responses seem so sloppy in comparison to yesterday. But I guess it's unfair to expect that sort of preparedness.

My biggest issue with Scalia is not that he was a Constitutional originalist or super conservative, but that he was plainly a bigot, used his originalism to justify his bigotry and, perhaps worst of all, clearly delighted in trolling people with opinions that reveled in his thinly veiled bigotry.

Yep, same here. Scalia was pretty clearly a bad person who hated various minority groups and seemed to enjoy that. I'm not sad at all that he's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom