• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division - 15 minutes of new gameplay

Theorry

one thing that is rather curious to me though, is that if the PC version is indeed going to look that much better, I'm confused why they're not showing it off (unless they have shown footage already and I missed it)

Because there is a marketing deal for the Xbox One. So events show that version etc.
I believe the 22nd we see PC footage.

People involved involved in downgrade culture frankly don't understand the big picture in game development.

These vertical slice demos are created years before the game is released, generally by a small team who are using an offshoot of the engine. They are crating what they hope the game will look like when it finally releases. At the same time, they are completely unaware of what will occur over the course of development and, in this case, how outdated the specs of the consoles actually became.

When the game is months out from release and there are still game breaking issues preventing the game from shipping, you have to understand people are going to be pulled out of certain areas and thrown at those issues. Graphical effects are not necessary for a game to ship.

Sorry, but if you thought the initial demo was running on console hardware you're delusional

I feel publishers must be forcing devs to put out these vertical slices so early on as visual targets for shareholders to see something tangible from the milestones otherwise we'd get reveals that were much further along like Alien Isolation or dozens of other AAA games that were closer to release (1 year away). Maybe it's a lack of confidence on part of the publisher?

Has there been any investigative journalism about vertical slices?

Kezen

Banned
one thing that is rather curious to me though, is that if the PC version is indeed going to look that much better, I'm confused why they're not showing it off

It won't look a generation ahead or anything like that but I expect a sizeable and appreciable difference, why aren't they showing this off you ask ?

Well.....Maybe because the console skus pale in comparison.

Setsuna

Is there really no PC footage out yet? If so, then obviously I haven't seen it. Was Watch Dogs really that much better looking on PC? Like what they originally showed? again, I'm still really looking forward to the division but I don't see anything wrong with wanting to expect more out of the console ones either. fingers crossed that the PC one actually takes advantage of pc hardware as much as it's able.

are you seriously going to pretend Ubisoft hasn't done this on almost every occasion this gen? and I'm pretty sure there was heavy backlash towards the witcher as well. I also don't recall ever seeing any Cyberpunk footage whatsoever. how did this even come up? Lol

Every game this gen? Theres a reason the only game you or anyone in this thread has brought up is Watch dogs and not Unity, Syndicate Far cry 4, The Crew, Anno or rainbow 6

I brought up Cyberpunk because when that game comes out its going to be interesting to see what that thread devolves into. I mean shit Watch dogs came out 2 years ago and all of a sudden every game since has been downgraded

Senhua

“With E3 2015 we said, OK, let’s make sure the games are playable, that they’re running on the target machines," Guillemot said.

"When we show something, we ask the team, make sure it’s playable, make sure gamers can immediately see exactly what it is. That’s what we learned from the Watch Dogs experience – if it can’t be played on the target machine, it can be a risk.”

Maybe too late for this opinion but I think Ubisoft already learned from the past mistake.
The recent AC Syndicate and RS: Siege launch and soon will Farcry : Primal and The Division.
All above, I haven't hear/look about the vertical slice demo yet in exception The Division which is "Too late "(They realized their mistake after WD release which is too late for The Division.).
So If the Division will get visual downgrade, It's ok as long as the lesson already learned.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I feel publishers must be forcing devs to put out these vertical slices so early on as visual targets for shareholders to see something tangible from the milestones otherwise we'd get reveals that were much further along like Alien Isolation or dozens of other AAA games that were closer to release (1 year away). Maybe it's a lack of confidence on part of the publisher?

Has there been any investigative journalism about vertical slices?
NT has a fantastic article on how and why vertical slice demos are made.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Maybe too late for this opinion but I think Ubisoft already learned from the past mistake.
The recent AC Syndicate and RS: Siege launch and soon will Farcry : Primal and The Division.
All above, I haven't hear/look about the vertical slice demo yet in exception The Division which is "Too late "(They realized their mistake after WD release which is too late for The Division.).
So If the Division will get visual downgrade, It's ok as long as the lesson already learned.
What aboot Wild Lands?
That thing had insane draw distances, I really doubt they are possible on PS4.

MrBlonde

I haven't watched much on this at all but the snowy level with the Christmas lights on light poles looked pretty nice. Is the whole game like this or just certain sections?

Grief.exe

Here's your endgame

And every mission can be replayed in Hard Mode as well?

They can. Hard Mode is for you to come back and try it later for a different type of reward and much more difficult challenge. It’s there for you from the beginning if you’re just a born badass. You can do it from the get-go, but it’s not balanced for a normal player to play through normally on hard. It’s for coming back to later.

The Dark Zone is one big area on the map, it’s not split into multiple zones?

It’s one big rift that runs down the center of the map. But just like the other parts of the world, it’s not created equal in terms of difficulty. We don’t scale difficulty in the open world. One of the things you have to decide when you do an open world game is do we allow the player to wander all the way across the map to the most difficult area with a super high-end cool faction – which we haven’t even talked about yet? We don’t really scale enemies. Generally the open world doesn’t scale and the same is true of the Dark Zone. It scales regionally in difficulty from south to north.

One of the cool things we do is that once you hit the max level – level 30 – suddenly the whole Dark Zone re-populates with all-new content and challenges suitable to that level. And now the entire Dark Zone, instead of being segmented where you explore further and further north, the whole Dark Zone is repopulated completely for you to tackle openly again.

It gets a lot tougher and obviously you can still find and craft much better gear and equipment. Your tools are things that will continue to improve as you find more loot. Your avenues for improvement are not dead just because you hit the max level.

https://www.vg247.com/2016/01/15/th...ay-hard-mode-loot-and-free-updates-laid-bare/

gatti-man

Complaining about a downgrade isn't forcing anyone to give the game up either.

It'd be nice if people stopped defending Ubisoft for this though (omg i know massive is making this) as we've seen it all before haven't we. No doubt the PC version will look like a much better version of what we're currently being shown and not what the game was originally advertised as, which itself is kinda the problem. Faux gameplay heavily dolled up with extra animation, lighting, debris and texture detail vanishing. People have been waiting years to see extra footage from the game and now we finally do it doesn't look like what we were originally shown so we should just shuffle along?

http://www.pcgamer.com/watch-dogs-downgrade-controversy-is-a-lesson-learned-for-ubisoft/

Worst off, we should know this as an irrefutable fact by now. Aren't games supposed to look better as they have more time in development? A youtube comment on a 'Ubisoft Downgrade" video put it best, they know what makes a game look aesthetically pleasing beyond just the quality of textures, resolution and effects and we're shown those things initially along with the former bumped up - few years later it's all missing and unfortunately the actually product just looks lifeless in comparison.

How are you okay with this. I'm fine with you anticipating the game, hell I still think it looks good visually and yeah it could but fun but that's far from the point isn't it..

I can't even remember what the original footage looks like. It's common sense that it's all mock up footage anyways. If someone shows you footage of a game years from release and it's looking amazing you should know it's not real and a guesstimate as to what they are shooting for.

Teletraan1

Banned
Man, that Ubisoft downgrade is amazing.

Ubisoft in the past has had closed alphas/betas featuring builds with reduced graphics options/fidelity even on console, where the focus of the test is network/matchmaking related. It is a pretty common practice for them actually. Not saying that is the case here but I would wait for the game to come out before hitting the downgrade button too hard. If it is an actual downgrade please attack aggressively as this shit is getting rather old and they should be called on it.

QuikNez

My goodness, what would it take to get some positivity here in gaf - the bashing is at an all time high in my view - gaf culture feels like it is becoming seedy.

Recognizing tne delays, "downgrades (give me a break)", the potential for the game to not meet expectations... Based on recent videos, the game still looks like it could have excellent potential. NYC and the environment looks fantastic and immersive - looking forward to it.

TheMan

kind of put off by the bullet sponge enemies, but I'm still quite interested. here's hoping the game turns out to be as fun as siege.

Hmmm the negativity in here is throwing me off elsewhere I've read some really good things from previews. Only thing im worried about is the endgame but i mean eh..I'll judge that when i get there

Edit: did they say how many can fit on a team? I've seen 4 on the latest video so far

Not sure why people are saying it looks boring. It's a cover shooter rpg, the shooting mechanics seem at least as good or better than Mass Effect...is that game boring? Is it the AI? The setting? I suppose it does look a little generic, but that's about all I can gather.

Theorry

Hmmm the negativity in here is throwing me off elsewhere I've read some really good things from previews. Only thing im worried about is the endgame but i mean eh..I'll judge that when i get there

Edit: did they say how many can fit on a team? I've seen 4 on the latest video so far

4 yeah.

Crossing Eden

Should be noted that most of the positive impressions are from people who've played the game while most of the negative ones have been from people watching videos.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
So Ubisoft famous for their downgrades keep their trophy. This looks nothing like the gorgeous reveal that like Watchdogs generated much interest.

The progress onwards to different 'arenas' is the only reason l carried on watching what is another mediocre multiplayer shooter with cooperative play.

Sigh, l really loathe what's happening to the gaming industry.

My goodness, what would it take to get some positivity here in gaf - the bashing is at an all time high in my view - gaf culture feels like it is becoming seedy.

Recognizing tne delays, "downgrades (give me a break)", the potential for the game to not meet expectations... Based on recent videos, the game still looks like it could have excellent potential. NYC and the environment looks fantastic and immersive - looking forward to it.

Can you really blame all of us? This is Ubisoft's doing. They kept hyping up and showing footage not possible, and then we get rushed out products that don't even come close to what they were setting our expectations to... it's not even the usual GAF hivemind and hype train outta this world with say a Uncharted 4. We had probably normal expectations for games like Watch Dogs until they went and toted it too much. AC games keep being lack luster.

That being said I'm beyond stoked for this game. I'm only able to purchase 2 games this year due to financial savings for personal reasons. The 2 games are The Division and SF5.

That's me putting my faith in this developer BIG TIME. This game sounds exactly what I want. RPG game with third person shooter mechanics ALA Gears of War, and a variety of unique takes on game ideas. (PvP with DarkZone)

I also feel this developer will listen very well to its community if its aim is to be a contender with Destiny. If Darkzone ends up lame/stale, and we ask for 5v5 or 4v4 normal TDM game types, cTf, etc I'm sure they'd include it eventually.

If the end game is not there, then I would see them developing raids if they haven't already.

HYPE!

The fact they are even launching this on PC to begin with is an indicator I'll probably like it better than the turd that was vanilla Destiny. Activision doesn't even have the confidence to release that game even now because they know it would be eaten alive by the PC community.

Timurse

Banned
I'm always curios why Ubisoft can't take Bungie approach where they first show their real state of development for game and then year later they show almost complete game which is WAY BETTER LOOKING.

93ffMt9.jpg

3yHz224.jpg

Senhua

What aboot Wild Lands?
That thing had insane draw distances, I really doubt they are possible on PS4.

I'm also doubt it. But I haven't seen any gameplay footage nor any Vertical Slices. Just Trailer only.

The fact they are even launching this on PC to begin with is an indicator I'll probably like it better than the turd that was vanilla Destiny. Activision doesn't even have the confidence to release that game even now because they know it would be eaten alive by the PC community.

Agreed, "We do not have resources for PC Development BS" - 500 Mill Budget lol.
Just said you do not have expertise for develop an optimize PC game Bungie.
You always been a consoles centric developer

jem0208

I mean, I'm not that into Destiny myself but you're kidding yourself if you think it wouldn't be very successful on PC...

QuikNez

Can you really blame all of us? This is Ubisoft's doing. They kept hyping up and showing footage not possible, and then we get rushed out products that don't even come close to what they were setting our expectations to... it's not even the usual GAF hivemind and hype train outta this world with say a Uncharted 4. We had probably normal expectations for games like Watch Dogs until they went and toted it too much. AC games keep being lack luster.

That being said I'm beyond stoked for this game. I'm only able to purchase 2 games this year due to financial savings for personal reasons. The 2 games are The Division and SF5.

That's me putting my faith in this developer BIG TIME. This game sounds exactly what I want. RPG game with third person shooter mechanics ALA Gears of War, and a variety of unique takes on game ideas. (PvP with DarkZone)

I also feel this developer will listen very well to its community if its aim is to be a contender with Destiny. If Darkzone ends up lame/stale, and we ask for 5v5 or 4v4 normal TDM game types, cTf, etc I'm sure they'd include it eventually.

If the end game is not there, then I would see them developing raids if they haven't already.

HYPE!

Nice, great context, thanks for sharing brah. I never had the displeasure to experience watch dogs or otherwise.

Agreed, "We do not have resources for PC Development BS" - 500 Mill Budget lol.
Just said you do not have expertise for develop an optimize PC game Bungie.
You always been a consoles centric developer

500 million was not the budget for one game.
Not having the resources for PC Development = Not having the team for it.

Not have team because they don't have expertise to do it nor to hire a new experienced PC developer.

The staff they have works on the various console versions. Hiring another team requires more money, which isn't in their budget. So they don't have the resources for it. It's not complicated.

Luq

Downgrade is real on X1 version, but PC still looks good (not as good as 2,5 years ago, but that's more than expected). It plays well, has solid mechanics and good matchmaking tools - that's all I care about.

Owh, and HUD is customizable in some parts for console versions. On PC you have even more options... plus game is capable of using multi-GPU (not so obvious lately) ;)

Yasae

Banned
People involved involved in downgrade culture frankly don't understand the big picture in game development.

These vertical slice demos are created years before the game is released, generally by a small team who are using an offshoot of the engine. They are crating what they hope the game will look like when it finally releases. At the same time, they are completely unaware of what will occur over the course of development and, in this case, how outdated the specs of the consoles actually became.

When the game is months out from release and there are still game breaking issues preventing the game from shipping, you have to understand people are going to be pulled out of certain areas and thrown at those issues. Graphical effects are not necessary for a game to ship.

Sorry, but if you thought the initial demo was running on console hardware you're delusional
It crosses the line into indefensible territory when devs lie point blank about any provable downgrades, as they have with The Witcher 3 and Watch_Dogs. I'm sorry if they don't like/are not allowed to talk about negatives, but that's tough shit. It's part of the job and they should be reasonably honest.

I certainly don't buy a target thrown up two and half (almost three!) YEARS before a game launches as any type of gospel. It's gobbledy-gook. It's visual perfume. It's nonsense that they want to pass this off as "things change". If they did, they'd say things change and if there are any downgrades that's what had to be done. Simple. Then next time release a trailer that's not so far out and maybe a hair more realistic. But that's never what happens because they must sell on hype.

I mean, I'm not that into Destiny myself but you're kidding yourself if you think it wouldn't be very successful on PC...
I don't know. Part of me thinks you are right, and the other part thinks people would buy it and stop playing it. I've thought about it quite a bit and honestly haven't landed either way. I could see either being true, and maybe they can as well. There is no other reason for the port not existing, especially after this much time.

Smash88

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw8ZlbQ5II4

PC Version set on Low settings running on a 650Ti

PC Version Video Options: (in case video gets taken down)
Vsync (on/off)
Frame Rate Limit (on/off)
Shadow Quality
Shadow Resolution
Spot Shadow Count
Spot Shadow Resolution
Contact Shadows
Post FX AA
Temporal AA
Sharpen Image (%)
Particle Detail
Enable Wind-affected Snow
Volumetric Fog
Reflection Quality
Local Reflection Quality
Sub-surface Scattering
Anisotropic Filtering
Parallax Mapping
Ambient Occlusion
Depth of Field
Object Detail (%)
Extra Streaming Distance (%)
Chromatic Aberration (on/off)
Lens Flare (on/off)
Vignette Effect (on/off)

Vsync (on/off)
Shadow Quality
Shadow Resolution
Spot Shadow Count
Spot Shadow Resolution
Contact Shadows
Post FX AA
Temporal AA
Sharpen Image (%)
Particle Detail
Volumetric Fog
Reflection Quality
Local Reflection Quality
Sub-surface Scattering
Anisotropic Filtering
Parallax Mapping
Ambient Occlusion
Depth of Field
Object Detail (%)
Lens Flare (on/off)
Vignette Effect (on/off)

How in the fuck?

kpaadet

Not sure why people are saying it looks boring. It's a cover shooter rpg, the shooting mechanics seem at least as good or better than Mass Effect...is that game boring? Is it the AI? The setting? I suppose it does look a little generic, but that's about all I can gather.
Mass Effect have cool abilities, interesting characters and a variety of different enemies. This looks like one of those fake video games that you see in a movie/TV show.

Grief.exe

500 million was not the budget for one game.
Not having the resources for PC Development = Not having the team for it.

The staff they have works on the various console versions. Hiring another team requires more money, which isn't in their budget. So they don't have the resources for it. It's not complicated.

Honestly, the cost of a PC port would have been negligible in contrast to the entire development budget.
I almost guarantee that Activision saw their abysmal sales of Call of Duty on PC and thought that this was a similar product and not worthy of resources.

They aren't necessarily wrong in their thinking. Mainstream shooters with exceedingly simple mechanics do sell pitifully on PC Titanfall, Hard-line, COD, Battlefront, etc are no where near their console counterparts in sales or player base.
I would argue that Destiny has enough mechanics from popular PC games to bridge that gap however, loot games sell like crazy on PC (Diablo, Borderlands, etc) and MMOs are huge on the platform (despite Destiny being more of an MMO-lite).

GHG

Vsync (on/off)
Shadow Quality
Shadow Resolution
Spot Shadow Count
Spot Shadow Resolution
Contact Shadows
Post FX AA
Temporal AA
Sharpen Image (%)
Particle Detail
Volumetric Fog
Reflection Quality
Local Reflection Quality
Sub-surface Scattering
Anisotropic Filtering
Parallax Mapping
Ambient Occlusion
Depth of Field
Object Detail (%)
Lens Flare (on/off)
Vignette Effect (on/off)

Now this is promising. Loving all those options.

Edit:

He's uploaded another video with more gameplay. Same settings as the previous video it looks like.

youtube.com/watch?v=s_dFdST1Hz7c

Crossing Eden

Vsync (on/off)
Shadow Quality
Shadow Resolution
Spot Shadow Count
Spot Shadow Resolution
Contact Shadows
Post FX AA
Temporal AA
Sharpen Image (%)
Particle Detail
Volumetric Fog
Reflection Quality
Local Reflection Quality
Sub-surface Scattering
Anisotropic Filtering
Parallax Mapping
Ambient Occlusion
Depth of Field
Object Detail (%)
Lens Flare (on/off)
Vignette Effect (on/off)
I said goddamn this is new thread worthy. God I hope they release max out gameplay on gamersyde.

Kezen

Banned

Vsync (on/off)
Shadow Quality
Shadow Resolution
Spot Shadow Count
Spot Shadow Resolution
Contact Shadows
Post FX AA
Temporal AA
Sharpen Image (%)
Particle Detail
Volumetric Fog
Reflection Quality
Local Reflection Quality
Sub-surface Scattering
Anisotropic Filtering
Parallax Mapping
Ambient Occlusion
Depth of Field
Object Detail (%)
Lens Flare (on/off)
Vignette Effect (on/off)

It does not seem to run that bad at all considering we are talking about an entry level GPU released in 2012.
Bodes well for scalability and those with low end hardware.

Grief.exe

Thanks grief.....now that I know dark zone is there only answer to end game I can cancel my pre-order

Does the season pass content list anything? This game is going to be destroyed critically if the end-game content is simply higher health/damage enemies.

Personally, I'm most interested in the PVP anyways, so the end-game content is irrelevant.

Top Bottom