• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs original graphical effects (E3 2012/13) found in game files [PC]

BenouKat

Banned
And that would be the bullshit conspiracy theory guess. I predict it will be very popular :D

Even if it's surely bullshit, there isn't 3658 explanations : They don't want to show that PS4 are already display shit at 900p face to a normal PC gamer (and Watch Dogs runs perfectly on my 560GTX + I5 2500K so it's not a 3000$ 6 month ago PC, i brought mine 800$ 3 years ago)

or

they are stupid. There's absolutly NO reason to lock additionnal effect to PC gamer, even less after the downgrade backlash.

Pick one.

SoundLad

Sometimes it feels as if PC ports are intentionally held back by devs so that the console versions seem more attractive. In short, prioritize that console version gets most of the attention of consumers by intentionally pulling back features on the PC. Are they actively trying to make PC the least attractive option when given the choice?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Okay, the excessive DOF is a bit annoying, but otherwise, holy shit.

And I know not everything is in the mod yet, but so far performance hit is non-existant.

Holy shit.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Wow development of this game has been complete mess. Fuck you Ubisoft for butchering the definitive PC version.

Newline

Sometimes it feels as if PC ports are intentionally held back by devs so that the console versions seem more attractive. In short, prioritize that console version gets most of the attention of consumers by intentionally pulling back features on the PC. Are they actively trying to make PC the least attractive option when given the choice?
In this case I can see no other explanation as to why settings that have no impact on PC performance and make the game look considerably better wouldn't be switched on.

Nzyme32

Why downgrade the PC port?

Hilarious conspiracy theory time?

Maybe for console parity, if margins on consoles give higher revenue they may want to dial back people wanting a sassy PC version.
But...
What if ubi knew this and thus left all the enhancements in there, specifically knowing that modders would reenable those features and fix the bugs, leading to increased PC sales without effecting console sales?

Good guy / manic guy ubi

Newline

Wait, no performance impact? Are you serious? What's Ubisoft doing?
People are reporting that it's actually removing some of the stuttering that was plaguing the PC version.

Thats right, one guy in his basement has managed to resolve an issue that a massive development team can't handle. Durante levels going on here.

14428220152_5dae42663c_h.jpg

is-this-real-life-o.gif

Spineker

Banned
Hilarious conspiracy theory time?

Maybe for console parity, if margins on consoles give higher revenue they may want to dial back people wanting a sassy PC version.
But...
What if ubi knew this and thus left all the enhancements in there, specifically knowing that modders would reenable those features and fix the bugs, leading to increased PC sales without effecting console sales?

Good guy / manic guy ubi

And risk the PR nightmare that is about to engulf them? I doubt it.

rashbeep

Banned
So just tried this.. no performance hit at all and I didn't notice any stuttering (didn't have much before but still). What the fuck Ubisoft.

So the console versions (that clearly couldn't handle those effects and will sell way more copies) don't look as bad.

Dat console parity.

Ubi protecting those console margins.

Because otherwise we would see a too large gap between ps4 & pc

2641935_o.gif

LOL are these people serious? After all the downgrade talk, the game still sold 4 million copies on the first week. No console player will lose sleep over of how much better the PC version looked. Outside forums, no one gives a fuck about graphical disparities. People would still mass buy the PS4 version, that's just the way it is. AAA games sell more on consoles. Even with games like Far Cry 3 that came out on PC/PS360 and the graphical disparity being veeeery apparent, the game sold more on consoles.

The truth may just be as simple as pc's not being able to render those 2012 graphics when even the downgraded 2014 graphics are too heavy on high end rigs.

Seanspeed

Banned
No, I'm not saying I'm unhappy with it. Quite the opposite in fact!
Oh I know. I'm saying its a travesty that the code to fix the awful stuttering that's plagued nearly everybody no matter their rig was right there all along, just hidden away.

That's pure incompetence.

Zaph

All this is is Ubisoft cutting QA time. By having these effects on, they have to do more bug checking, play testing and hardware validation. If it's not relevant across their major SKU's, it's getting cut.

Ubisoft put so many people at their major games, across so many studios and countries, that games come in hot. Everything comes together last minute and is very rushed (Ubi like to think that throwing more devs at a project is just as good as giving it more time).

Yeah, that's probably one or two years away from reality I guess? (when PC specs catch up). Then we'll see a "Difference between Watch Dogs PC (2016) and Consoles (*cough*2014*cough*)" comparison.... XD

Absolutely no reason why a PC game today couldn't look like that. All two years away GPU's will do is have it run at a better frame rate.

Seanspeed

Banned
2641935_o.gif

LOL are these people serious? After all the downgrade talk, the game still sold 4 million copies on the first week. No console player will lose sleep over of how much better the PC version looked. Outside forums, no one gives a fuck about graphical disparities. People would still mass buy the PS4 version, that's just the way it is. AAA games sell more on consoles. Even with games like Far Cry 3 that came out on PC/PS360 and the graphical disparity being veeeery apparent, the game sold more on consoles.
It might still sell ok, but I think Sony would have incentive to want Watch Dogs to be advertised as 'as good as the PC' version for their own benefit, not necessarily Ubisoft's. It makes the PS4 look more powerful.

Bricky

Wait... lolwut?

What in the world. Why? Just why would you NOT include these things? There is literally no reason to not enable more eyecandy as a developer, especially if it doesn't really impact performance in any major way, and even IF that is the case there should at least be an 'extreme' setting for it. The game has been shit on for getting downgraded all this time and now it can actually look the same as the E3 reveal after all?

I mean, great that modders found this, and lovely news for PC-gamers like me, but really Ubisoft? You're created a PR disaster just to get another PR disaster now this has been found? What were you thinking? 'Oh no, if we make the PC version look prettier, NOBODY will buy the PS4-version anymore. DOWNGRADE IT ALL!'. Ridiculous. I'm starting to think Vaas in Far Cry 3 was just based on the CEO of the company, because this is the definition of insanity.

I'd love to see the 'official' reaction Ubisoft has to this mess. Or at least a tweet about it or something. They have some explaining to do to say the least.

riflen

This is just incomprehensible levels of stupidity and laziness.

This happens all the time with PC games; the shipped build contains unfinished, disabled features.
No doubt when they returned to PC in the last 6 months or so of the development schedule (according to Ubisoft), after spending the majority of time working on the console builds, they ran out of time to get the bugs out of these effects. It's sad, it's annoying, but that is the reality of multi-platform development, when the consoles will bring you more return on investment.

Nzyme32

All this is is Ubisoft cutting QA time. By having these effects on, they have to do more bug checking, play testing and hardware validation. If it's not relevant across their major SKU's, it's getting cut.

Ubisoft put so many people at their major games, across so many studios and countries, that games come in hot. Everything comes together last minute and is very rushed (Ubi like to think that throwing more devs at a project is just as good as giving it more time).

Absolutely no reason why a PC game today couldn't look like that. All two years away GPU's will do is have it run at a better frame rate.

If that's true, I don't know why they didn't just include a separate graphics tier called "experimental" or something, so that players are aware of possible issues but can go ahead anyway

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
truth may just be as simple as pc's not being able to render those 2012 graphics when even the downgraded 2014 graphics are too heavy on high end rigs.

Jury's still out on that though there are reports of it shockingly having little to no impact on performance, but one of the things I like about PC gaming is how it future proofs itself. Even if I can't run a game well on max settings today, sometime in the future I may. Doing shit like this basically just kneecaps the graphical potential when the work is already done, all it would take is another tier of graphical options so people who currently are having issues running as-is could just not enable it.

Zomba13

2641935_o.gif

The truth may just be as simple as pc's not being able to render those 2012 graphics when even the downgraded 2014 graphics are too heavy on high end rigs.

PC have graphics options. You have what you have now as the 'High' setting and you have the better effects as 'Ultra' with a warning that you will need a top of the line rig to run it or something. There. Problem solved.

2641935_o.gif

The downgraded graphics are not too heavy on high end rigs. There is just stuttering, not framerate issues. And the stuttering issue is much improved with this mod.

They might not have wanted two different versions, or maybe really did not want a significant different looking game from the consoles. Plenty of people that may not care, but there could have been negative press if you downgrade things only for the consoles.

How many times it is sold or sales of other games tell nothing as you don't have anything to compare it to. Most of the times we don't get to know how many times it sold on the PC anyway.

danwarb

These changes don't seem to have much of an impact on performance.
It still runs better on far from high-end rigs, if the comparison is console (PS4/X1).

Seanspeed

Banned
Jury's still out on that though there are reports of it shockingly having little to no impact on performance, but one of the things I like about PC gaming is how it future proofs itself. Even if I can't run a game well on max settings today, sometime in the future I may. Doing shit like this basically just kneecaps the graphical potential when the work is already done, all it would take is another tier of graphical options so people who currently are having issues running as-is could just not enable it.
Indeed. I'm actually a bit more interested in playing this now, although it wont be for another year or so most likely, where I can buy it cheap and with an upgraded rig.

mocoworm

I honestly think that these assets were purposely left in by the devs hoping they would be found and the game modded.

There were articles written when the downgrade was shown saying they were gutted with the reaction from the gamers and they knew that the game could be better than the product that was shipping.

When you look at the story of the game, it definitely is possible that they wanted the true game to get out there as a 'fuck you' to Ubisoft. Who wouldn't, after putting years of your time/creativity/work into it?

My GTX780 chews through these improvements. That could be hidden under the Extreme settings, I don't see why in the world would Ubi hide this unless for the console parity stuff and to sell more there.

Top Bottom