• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blazblue Continuum Shift EXTEND |OT| - Now with New Hat

Fugu

I don't get what you people expect from a fighting game tutorial. The learning curve in any fighting game lies almost exclusively in playing against other players.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I didn't go through the tutorial. I figured it was sorta a waste of time from the get go. However, I did work on the challenges a bit before playing the game offline (and then later online). The challenges helped a lot more with getting to grip with a character's mobility and combo possibilities. Though... It still isn't the most practical way of learning, but I feel that it does help some.

Tutorials can only do so much. Repetition and grinding matches is the bigger part of the learning process. I don't see how anything short of HAL 9000 could solve the problem that some beginners have with tutorials. This is inevitable when you are dealing with a system that can't react to the questions of the player in a meaningful way.

I may not be fresh to the series, but I was new at one time. The tutorial in CT was useful enough to get me started. I never once felt the urge to quit the game like I did with Vanilla MvC3(Quit SFIV pretty quick though thanks to one frame links and no good tutorials or challenge system).

This is the type of genre it is.

frequency

I think the misunderstanding is just that some people claimed the tutorial was really great for beginners. So newbies expected to come out of it and be not-terrible.

I remember back when CT was released, everyone told me this was nothing like GG and was easy to pick up for beginners. A lot of people even praised the LE DVD as a learning tool. So I went in thinking I could pick it up and be decent if I followed everything.

Nope. Not the case at all. The game is still super complex and all that learning really didn't teach me anything.

People just expected from the tutorial what others told them it would be.

alstein

Man, I was sure this was going to be a day one purchase for me as I really love the series (and Booby lady). Here's the thing though, I put in some hrs in the ps3 version, stopped for five months, came back, had to relearn it all again. That's my biggest beef with it. It is not user friendly at all.

That said, the Vita ver looks soo beautiful.

Boobie lady changes heavily from game to game- she's as notorious for that as KOF Beni or Robert.

Volcynika

Sorry for not playing last night prototype, had to finish up Binary Domain! (And I did!)

Might try to get in some playing tonight and tomorrow.

Sorry for not playing last night prototype, had to finish up Binary Domain! (And I did!)

Might try to get in some playing tonight and tomorrow.

It's cool. I spent some time playing with SDarkShadow instead. Picking up SFxT today though, but might still boot up some BB. Finally getting decent with Relius.

Fugu

Boobie lady changes heavily from game to game- she's as notorious for that as KOF Beni or Robert.
Yup. Every single revision they decide to turn her into a new character. In this version they left her combos relatively intact but decided to completely change her corner and staffless game.

Finished all the regular character story modes besides Relius and Hazama. I'll be able to go online constantly once I'm done there. Platinum's story mode is like one long ass gag. She also has quite the attitude lol. I can't wait to see what will happen in BB3 once the story moves closer to Ikaruga.
oh platinum the trinity, how i long to kick ass with you
Spent some time on her challenges today. I like her a lot, but I can tell that it's going to take work if I want to perform 3.5k+ combos. Bang's damage is much easier to obtain by comparison. Gonna have to work out more ways to incorporate Daifunka into my combos too...

that reminds me, i still haven't learned any combos with her yet

i should really stop puttin that off

someone should get online so we can play

playin randoms is hella annoyin

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
If anyone is up for a game, my PSN is natotoxxiii

I'm scrub, in case you need to know. Playing for fun, with the possible intention of getting better :p

Tutorials can only do so much. Repetition and grinding matches is the bigger part of the learning process. I don't see how anything short of HAL 9000 could solve the problem that some beginners have with tutorials. This is inevitable when you are dealing with a system that can't react to the questions of the player in a meaningful way.

I may not be fresh to the series, but I was new at one time. The tutorial in CT was useful enough to get me started. I never once felt the urge to quit the game like I did with Vanilla MvC3(Quit SFIV pretty quick though thanks to one frame links and no good tutorials or challenge system).

This is the type of genre it is.

I agree.

However a great tutorial explains the game mechanics and gives me direct access to the character's tool box. Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution did it best and hasn't been surpassed, but even with a heavily scripted tutorial (which is what hold back the BB tutorial - oh go figure story sh*t in a fighting game f*cking things up again) and Challenges BlazBlue is a close second and the current generation fighting game standard bearer.

Capcom fighters being the absolute least you can offer in a training mode, based off of SSF4/SSF4AE (which was essentially the same).

A good tutorial doesn't make my execution better, but it walks me through every character's moves so I know what tools I have. This is a major complaint I have with Soul Calibur 5. My main from SC2-4 Raphael is pretty different now and the training mode is really quite shit unless I want to go to a menu and look at inputs, but not do them (I learn better by doing, not reading) and build muscle memory for the inputs.

I'd love to see a training mode that has challenges like BlazBlue or the command run down of VF4e, but allows me to set a maximum number of repetitions for inputs so that I can more fully master them. I want it to hit me with the move again, not prompt me if I want to proceed or retry. Just let me set an option - repeat every challenge XX times and go!

That would be pretty sweet.

But yeah, no training mode is going to teach you the deeper aspects of fighting games. Like getting inside the opponents head and baiting them, or just stuffing everything when they try to come at you.

For me, a solid training mode is every bit as important as solid online play. It permits me direct access to my character's move set and gets me in the game quicker than having a FAQ open on my laptop and trying to pick and choose moves. BARF!

I wish ASW had some sort of suggestion box. Challenge mode and tutorial reps are a great idea. I wouldn't mind setting the number of reps for challenge combos or tutorial sequences to 15x just so I can grind something specific until it is retained. They should give us 5x,10x,20x multipliers just so we can decide how much we'd like to do.

Ditto on the character specific stuff. Mini tutorials on character strengths and weaknesses should really be a standard in fighting games. It'd be cool if they could start off in a series and then expand over time via DLC and sequels. I'd reckon we'd have a hell of a library for each character by now if they did that in CT.

I'm sure some people would still want more though lol.

Huh, in Community now . . . not that it really matters . . .

So it's a month from the first post instead of a month from the game's release.

frequency

I finally got my Vita copy today. I have to say I'm pretty disappointed at the manual. All it says is to go to the website for the actual manual :(

I also hit a wall with Noel's Mission #06.

I do it fine. The combo counter still goes up and it all hits and stuff (same number of hits as the demonstration). But the timing window between the jump cancel and bullet storm/thor is too small. The game says I didn't do it in time. My fingers can't go any faster. Bleh. It goes off fine and combos fine, that should be good enough!

Fugu

I think if ASW wants to make some serious ground in regards to making the game more accessible, they should make the challenge mode combos worthwhile as opposed to, like, combo gauntlets. That would instantly solve the issue of forcing new players to land multiple hits to complete with the damage of players that can combo.

Ken

I finally got my Vita copy today. I have to say I'm pretty disappointed at the manual. All it says is to go to the website for the actual manual :(

I also hit a wall with Noel's Mission #06.

I do it fine. The combo counter still goes up and it all hits and stuff (same number of hits as the demonstration). But the timing window between the jump cancel and bullet storm/thor is too small. The game says I didn't do it in time. My fingers can't go any faster. Bleh. It goes off fine and combos fine, that should be good enough!

Let's play!!!

I wish ASW had some sort of suggestion box. Challenge mode and tutorial reps are a great idea. I wouldn't mind setting the number of reps for challenge combos or tutorial sequences to 15x just so I can grind something specific until it is retained. They should give us 5x,10x,20x multipliers just so we can decide how much we'd like to do.

Ditto on the character specific stuff. Mini tutorials on character strengths and weaknesses should really be a standard in fighting games. It'd be cool if they could start off in a series and then expand over time via DLC and sequels. I'd reckon we'd have a hell of a library for each character by now if they did that in CT.

I'm sure some people would still want more though lol.

Yeah, this kind of killed me in SF3oe. Nailing parries was more often fluke than skill, and the action is so minimal that you spend more time in the menu than you do practicing.

Hey AkSys guys! Pass it along. ;)

I think if ASW wants to make some serious ground in regards to making the game more accessible, they should make the challenge mode combos worthwhile as opposed to, like, combo gauntlets. That would instantly solve the issue of forcing new players to land multiple hits to complete with the damage of players that can combo.

To be fair, ASW isn't the only one guilty of this. It dates back to SFEX Challenges. Perform wildly impractical combos on a practice dummy that does not behave like an enemy at all.

I think VF4evo is the only game that provided practical move training. At least from what I recall.

Man, I hope to hell Sega doesn't drop the ball with VF5FS training mode.

frequency

That was a lot of fun. I wish the chat was more featured though.
I tried Stylish mode on like two fights. I'm not really sure what it is but it seems like if I press Square, it just does combos for me. But I can't figure out how to do special moves. D ends up being grab or something.
Stylish mode seems like a decent alternative for people who just want to mash? I don't like it. That was the only way I beat your Makoto in that mirror fight.

I hope we can play again!

I'll probably "main" Noel. Though I won't really play online on my own so that probably doesn't mean anything. Her Drive is simple enough for me to grasp and I like her flow.
Arcade/Story I'll play and learn the basics of every character - like I do in all fighting games.
I really enjoyed Arakune. His animations are so weird. I'm not sure what his Drive actually does though. mu-12 was my least favourite.

Ken

That was a lot of fun. I wish the chat was more featured though.

I tried Stylish mode on like two fights. I'm not really sure what it is but it seems like if I press Square, it just does combos for me. But I can't figure out how to do special moves. D ends up being grab or something.

Stylish mode seems like a decent alternative for people who just want to mash? I don't like it. That was the only way I beat your Makoto in that mirror fight.

I hope we can play again!

I'll probably "main" Noel. Though I won't really play online on my own so that probably doesn't mean anything. Arcade/Story I'll play and learn the basics of every character - like I do in all fighting games.

I really enjoyed Arakune. His animations are so weird. I'm not sure what his Drive actually does though. mu-12 was my least favourite.

I didn't like fighting any of those characters with projectiles. I have no idea how to get in.

Tonight reminded me I should start working on learning more than one lame BnB for Makoto. Sorry for being boring and only playing Makoto though, as she's the only character I know combos for. :x

Send me a message on PSN whenever you want to play and I'll try to join up for some games, though I might be busy these next two weeks.

frequency

I didn't like fighting any of those characters with projectiles. I have no idea how to get in.

Tonight reminded me I should start working on learning more than one lame BnB for Makoto. Sorry for being boring and only playing Makoto though, as she's the only character I know combos for. :x

I think most people just play their one character they're most familiar with. I'm just weird. I "random" a lot. I'm okay with people practicing the character they like.

I don't know how to do that green knock back that you do. And I have no idea how to get out of corners. I still need to learn a lot of things.

Ken

I think most people just play their one character they're most familiar with. I'm just weird. I "random" a lot. I'm okay with people practicing the character they like.

I don't know how to do that green knock back that you do. And I have no idea how to get out of corners. I still need to learn a lot of things.

The green knock-back is Break Burst. You hit ABCD all at once and you can only use it as many times as you have that weird looking red/white symbol thing under the portrait I think.

frequency

The green knock-back is Break Burst. You hit ABCD all at once and you can only use it as many times as you have that weird looking red/white symbol thing under the portrait I think.

Oh thank you.
Though I have no idea how I would hit all those buttons at once. I would need to like, lay the Vita down and use multiple fingers. I can't do it with just my thumb or with a MH-style claw + thumb.
Maybe I can change button mappings to do it or something. I probably don't need the taunt button on R. And I don't think L actually does anything?

I also need to get used to the analog stick placement on the Vita. The analog stick is too close and I keep hitting it by mistake when I try to do half/quarter circles.

But anyway...
Maybe next time I'll suck a little less.

Yeah, this kind of killed me in SF3oe. Nailing parries was more often fluke than skill, and the action is so minimal that you spend more time in the menu than you do practicing.

Hey AkSys guys! Pass it along. ;)
These aren't even the biggest issues for me tbh. I can reset the combo a million times so I don't feel like a multiplier is all that important in challenges(forgot that when I was typing my post up lol). It should be added to tutorial mode though.

The biggest issues for me are prices for DLC. The CS character DLC was too expensive at $8 without a story imo. If they want to add them without a story they should be cheaper. Adding several $8 DLC characters to the sequel is bound to piss people off. I thought they learned their lesson, but then I saw the Rachel(really wanted this one too...) voice pack. More expensive than Shuma or Jill? Really? This does not look good. -__-

Fugu

I've ever played an online game with a character other than Litchi. The only combos I know for other characters are combos that I've learned to teach other people. Don't sweat it too much.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I love the online play in this game. So smooth. I'm playing with a wired connection with another buddy in a different state, and it feels almost exactly like playing offline. I also love that I don't have to deal with 1-frame links, so there is less worry over dropping combos due to any kind of lag. Also... more gimmicks in this game. So much fun baiting and trolling.

Theonik

Someone mentioned before that Noel's voice actor got changed. Did this turn out to be true?
Yes, but it only applies on the English version of the few lines which had to be redone. So I think she has 2 actresses in CS:EX. Don't know exactly which are the different lines though as I use JP voices.

Ken

Challenges that start with a grab seem so hard to do (Tsubaki and Makoto's 8th challenge). The opponent always seems to recover early.

E: and just as I say that I complete Makoto's challenge, lol.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Challenges that start with a grab seem so hard to do (Tsubaki and Makoto's 8th challenge). The opponent always seems to recover early.

E: and just as I say that I complete Makoto's challenge, lol.

In this game, most (if not all) grabs can be canceled.

Haven't played BB since the original. Damn, Hazama is really fun.

Did a few of his challenges and played arcade until I got slapped around by unlimited Ragna.

Managed to get a few games on Live using quick match within seconds. Very pleased.

tearsofash

Vita version here. Apparently if I play at like 6am, I can win against scrubs. I've never been very good at competitive play, but I still love the fuck out of fighting games (sans modern capcom)

If you're doing a save transfer between PS3 and Vita how does that affect your trophies? Will it be two entries, but different trophies? That's gonna get confusing.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I just had some hilariously good rounds with Gaf member I9. Man, I didn't realize that Taokaka could triple jump. Those two jc aerial combos. I also love that you can tiger knee her QCF B attack. This game is so good.

Btw, if anybody is looking for some rounds, I'm game! I usually play in the evening PST.

Ken

Vita version here. Apparently if I play at like 6am, I can win against scrubs. I've never been very good at competitive play, but I still love the fuck out of fighting games (sans modern capcom)

If you're doing a save transfer between PS3 and Vita how does that affect your trophies? Will it be two entries, but different trophies? That's gonna get confusing.
I have the Vita version too. If you want play with a scrub, my PSN is nya_08.

tearsofash

Added. I play very sporadically though. Like, really early in the morning or whenever I feel like it, really. I'll keep in touch.

Fugu

I just had some hilariously good rounds with Gaf member I9. Man, I didn't realize that Taokaka could triple jump. Those two jc aerial combos. I also love that you can tiger knee her QCF B attack. This game is so good.

Btw, if anybody is looking for some rounds, I'm game! I usually play in the evening PST.
What console are you on?

Top Bottom