• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roommates...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Yeah but, to them, they don't feel as though they are being assholes. You let this behaviour become acceptable. Don't like it when they eat your goat's cheese? You tll them once it happens. You don't say nothing and let it appen time and time again (as you have done). How does a dog know not to shit indoors? By training it as soon as it makes those mistakes. You can't expect to teach the dog not to shit indoors when you haven't done anything about it for a few months.

So, when the dog shits in your house for the 10th tme, and you scold it, how is it supposed to know it had done something wrong the 100th time when really it was wrong for every other time too? It's your fault you haven't told them the behaviour bothers you. Expect resonses from them such as;

"Oh ok, I figured you'd have said something before now if it is a problem to you"

Edit: Saying "it's you fault" is a bit much I'll admit. I'm sure other roommates would simply not eat your stuff unless offered. It's they're fault for eating the food yeah.

No, i'm sorry. But we're not dogs. You can't take something of someone else's and think it's okay. If I was living with severely mentally handicapped people maybe it would make sense? But full grown average humans know that eating an unopened package of someone's bacon and not replacing it is wrong.

No, i'm sorry. But we're not dogs. You can't take something of someone else's and think it's okay. If I was living with severely mentally handicapped people maybe it would make sense? But full grown average humans know that eating an unopened package of someone's bacon and not replacing it is wrong.

It's just an analogy for learning behaviours. And yeah, it is stupid to eat someone else's stuff, don't get me wrong. Can you not see why I made that analogy?

I don't understand how you can in good conscious go ahead and eat somebody elses stuff without asking. I would assume that most of us are taught to be respectful of the boundaries other people put in place, yet roommates eating each other's food without permission seems all too common a story.

Riggs

Banned
TimeDog you are like part of the wack pack of NeoGaf I fucking love it. Except your not 3 foot black dude with mental problems. I am fairly new to GAF so I know a lot of this is already established, but whatever I enjoy :D

I remember eating my room mates pizza rolls, I felt bad so I bought him more pizza rolls that night. I come home from work with the pizza rolls, and he immediately starts yelling at me. I said well here are some more pizza rolls, he responds "What good does that do me , when I was high earlier and wanted pizza rolls then"? I apologized again, then moved out like 3 days later. The guy was a complete fucking tard.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
It's just an analogy for learning behaviours. And yeah, it is stupid to eat someone else's stuff, don't get me wrong. Can you not see why I made that analogy?

You're saying that I need to remind people not to be willful assholes with other people's shit, I'm saying that I shouldn't have to remind people not to be willful assholes with other people's shit, but I'm going to. The root problem isn't my food getting eaten, it's them being an asshole. Me telling them not to eat my shit will solve a simple symptom but will not do much of anything for the actual issue.

Riggs

Banned
You're saying that I need to remind people not to be willful assholes with other people's shit, I'm saying that I shouldn't have to remind people not to be willful assholes with other people's shit, but I'm going to. The root problem isn't my food getting eaten, it's them being an asshole. Me telling them not to eat my shit will solve a simple symptom but will not do much of anything for the actual issue.

Here's the main problem, none of your room mates are ever going to see this thread. Just tell them to fucking stop, or you will be forced to
iLs8ADcqbYzyK.gif

krioto

Can't you fool see that the note writing was merely a cathartic exercise in comparative morals?

If flatmates had stolen TD's food, the pink shorts would have been donned, and the flatmats are '....already dead'

Barrage

It would have been "started" by me writing a note, not by other people being fucking assholes? You sound like the terrible roommate that gets justifiably angry notes written about them, then complains about how the living situation is "awkward" for you, when it was awkward for everyone else except you prior to that point because of your rudeness.

They're acting like assholes, you're acting like an emotional manchild with no concept of how to handle conflict..it's gonna create an even uglier living situation. If you were as upfront with your roomates as you were with anonymous 'Netmen, your pizza would perhaps not be as Ate Up as it is.

Riggs

Banned
They're acting like assholes, you're acting like an emotional manchild with no concept of how to handle conflict..it's gonna create an even uglier living situation. Keep projecting, i'll wait the two months for a sternly worded PM.

This gettin good.

Are the people you living with generally decent roommates? from this one instance they don't really seem like they care too much about your wants and needs.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
They're acting like assholes, you're acting like an emotional manchild with no concept of how to handle conflict..it's gonna create an even uglier living situation. Keep projecting, i'll wait the two months for a sternly worded PM.

Except for, you know, the 9 posts (that you didn't read before replying) where I said that I'm going to talk to them. The living situation if I wrote that note would not get any uglier for me, for them maybe. They would immediately stop eating my shit, and they'd feel the awkwardness and or perhaps anger that I felt from them eating my shit. However, that's not the best way to go about things and so like I've said many, many times in this thread, I took the note down and I'm going to talk with them, because that is a better solution for all of us, not just me.

Barrage

Except for, you know, the 9 posts (that you didn't read before replying) where I said that I'm going to talk to them. The living situation if I wrote that note would not get any uglier for me, for them maybe. They would immediately stop eating my shit, and they'd feel the awkwardness and or perhaps anger that I felt from them eating my shit. However, that's not the best way to go about things and so like I've said many, many times in this thread, I took the note down and I'm going to talk with them, because that is a better solution for all of us, not just me.

Read the entire thread (you're 0-for-2 on Assumptions, btw). All that steam you built up from you Streets Of Rage Post-It was released when your roomie texted an apology, I get it. Doesn't mean it wasn't a dumbshit idea to do in the first place, which is what my post referred to. The "best" solution, which I hope you will do, is to address the issue with them immediately (you texted them about a meeting tonight, which is a good first step) in a way that shows what they did was wrong, while not threatening any use of your Secret Anger Karate.

Xelinis

My turn to vent.

So one of my housemates, the one I share my bathroom with, is a 33 year old man-child. How you ask? Here's the latest in a string of mishaps.

I got back home last Friday night and realized that we were out of toilet paper, so I made a mental note to myself to buy some in the morning. I woke up the next day and decided that, before I left, I wanted to take a shower.

I opened the bathroom door and said to myself, "Huh, why's my towel on the ground? What's that, uh, big brown stain on it?"

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Read the entire thread (you're 0-for-2 on Assumptions, btw). All that steam you built up from you Streets Of Rage Post-It was released when your roomie texted an apology, I get it. Doesn't mean it wasn't a dumbshit idea to do in the first place, which is what my post referred to. The "best" solution, which I hope you will do, is to address the issue with them immediately (you texted them about a meeting tonight, which is a good first step) in a way that shows what they did was wrong, while not threatening any use of your Secret Anger Karate.

Okay, so assuming you did read the entire thread (which you didnt), your post was completely useless other than as a means to try to belittle me to make you feel better about yourself. I already decided to talk to them and decided that posting the note was not the best course of action. Yet you responded in present tense as if I had not already said these things. Even still, in this post ^^^ you continue to attempt to belittle me. "Streets Of Rage Post-It" and "Secret Anger Karate"...saying that stuff just as childish and stupid as anything I've done/thought about doing in this thread. It's passive-aggressive and a terrible way to communicate.

Like I've said to a bunch of other people, you don't get to call out the way I choose to communicate when the way you choose to communicate is just as bad.

Riggs

Banned
My turn to vent.

So one of my housemates, the one I share my bathroom with, is a 33 year old man-child. How you ask? Here's the latest in a string of mishaps.

I got back home last Friday night and realized that we were out of toilet paper, so I made a mental note to myself to buy some in the morning. I woke up the next day and decided that, before I left, I wanted to take a shower.

I opened the bathroom door and said to myself, "Huh, why's my towel on the ground? What's that, uh, big brown stain on it?"

Dude you have to be joking that is the grossest shit I've heard all week.

The Lamp

I don't think I can properly explain just how dirty, irresponsible, forgetful, stupid, messy, disorganized, careless, immature, and pathetic my roommates are most of the time. Most of my plates and silverware has disappeared as well, so besides the kitchen being something out of a horrible nightmare with their rotting garbage, dishes, and food everywhere that I refuse to clean up, it's practically unusable so I just eat out all the time. Living here sucks, just waiting for the lease to run out and I can say goodbye to these douches for good.

Don't advise me to talk to them/work it out/ask them to be humanly/etc. because I've tried it before and it becomes way too dramatic and too much trouble and they don't listen to any suggestions anyway.

My consolation is that when they live out in the real world with no mommy paying for their college and bills, they will get hit hard in the face by what it means to be an adult.

And oh man, yeah, I can relate to some of you, because they will eat my food even when we have an accord not to eat each other's food. Then they'll do stuff like eat my turkey (for sandwiches), leave it out, be like "gross...I forgot to put this away....I'll buy you a new one" and they never do.

I would get myself a fridge but I don't have that money or the money to pay for the spike in electricity costs -_-
My turn to vent.

At that point I would probably drop a deuce in a plastic baggie and hide it in his pillowcase.

Barrage

Okay, so assuming you did read the entire thread (which you didnt), your post was completely useless other than as a means to try to belittle me to make you feel better about yourself. I already decided to talk to them and decided that posting the note was not the best course of action. Yet you responded in present tense as if I had not already said these things. Even still, in this post ^^^ you continue to attempt to belittle me. "Streets Of Rage Post-It" and "Secret Anger Karate"...saying that stuff just as childish and stupid as anything I've done/thought about doing in this thread. It's passive-aggressive and a terrible way to communicate.

Like I've said to a bunch of other people, you don't get to call out the way I choose to communicate when the way you choose to communicate is just as bad.

While you started the topic, the discussion of whether the note was a good idea or not was still being discussed (even by you, in your last post.) You can't really say that a point of conversation is closed when you're STILL defending it as a good idea: "The living situation if I wrote that note would not get any uglier for me, for them maybe. They would immediately stop eating my shit, and they'd feel the awkwardness and or perhaps anger that I felt from them eating my shit."

^Clearly it still needs to be discussed, if you're still defending this shitty idea.

And your attempts to compare "You can't talk to me like that if I can't talk to them like that" don't work, because of one simple reason: I don't live with you. I can be smarmy because if communication breaks down between us, it doesn't affect my day to day life. Your note would force you to live in a toxic and resentful (well...MORE toxic and resentful) situation.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
If getting over puberty is having thousands of posts in My Little Pony threads and watching a fuckload of Moe, then no, I'm not getting over puberty soon.
Part of getting over puberty is that you stop being embarrassed over the things you enjoy.

Let me know if you need any show recommendations; maybe some ARIA would help calm you down.

The Lamp

While you started the topic, the discussion of whether the note was a good idea or not was still being discussed (even by you, in your last post.) You can't really say that a point of conversation is closed when you're STILL defending it as a good idea: "The living situation if I wrote that note would not get any uglier for me, for them maybe. They would immediately stop eating my shit, and they'd feel the awkwardness and or perhaps anger that I felt from them eating my shit."

^Clearly it still needs to be discussed, if you're still defending this shitty idea.

And your attempts to compare "You can't talk to me like that if I can't talk to them like that" don't work, because of one simple reason: I don't live with you. I can be smarmy because if communication breaks down between us, it doesn't affect my day to day life. Your note would force you to live in a toxic and resentful (well...MORE toxic and resentful) situation.

This is part of the reason why I've been very cordial and biding my time with passive aggression on the inside but utter stoicism, yet politeness on the outside. I can't afford to have these freaks go vengeful on me and I'll never change them. I was thinking of leaving notes to tell them more sternly to do what I say, but it's not worth the conflict because they would team up against me.

If you've tried telling them to stop and they don't, at that point it's best that one of you moves out or you wait for a lease to end...

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)

I wasn't defending it as a good idea, I was stating a fact: they'd stop eating my food, and the situation would be no worse for me personally. That doesn't mean it's the best way to handle things, as I've already stated. The effects it would have had on MY living situation has nothing to do with you, and in no conceivable way changes the fact that you were being just as childish as I was, and I'mma call out that hypocrisy all day long. Your "bu bu bu I only act childish on the internet, and while simultaneously attempting to give out adult advice!" is fucking laughable.

I'll admit though, if it weren't me you were responding to I'd have laughed at Streets Of Rage Post-It and Secret Anger Karate.

Tawpgun

Only problem I have with my roommate is what a lazy fuck he is. It's not a super big deal but it's kind of disheartening seeing him doing nothing. He's a rich (relatively) business major From India whereas I'm barely affording my school and trying to hammer out my comp Sci classes before I switch out into either Civil Engineering or Envi Sci.

I wake up at 9, he's still asleep. Come back from my classes and lunch and its like 1:00 and he's still asleep. I go to my other class and come back at 3. If he's not still sleeping he's just on his computer watching something and eating chips or other junk food, which is sorta disgusting because he's overweight, also smokes cigarettes like no other.

I feel like im working super hard and this kid is doing nothing but sleeping by day and clubbing by night.

MrPliskin

Banned
Just gonna say, if you're not confrontational enough to talk to them and instead leave a note, the. You won't be confrontational enough to "really freak out" (you don't want this).

Seriously, notes always doubt petty and make you look like a bitch. A few sentences will do 100x better for your living conditions and working relationship.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Just gonna say, if you're not confrontational enough to talk to them and instead leave a note, the. You won't be confrontational enough to "really freak out" (you don't want this).

Seriously, notes always doubt petty and make you look like a bitch. A few sentences will do 100x better for your living conditions and working relationship.

Oh yeah I would.

Riggs

Banned
Well if you do freak out at least get it on video, there is no entertainment value for us if we can't see it.

Barrage

I didn't say it wasn't defending it as a good idea, I was stating a fact: they'd stop eating my food, and the situation would be no worse for me personally. That doesn't mean it's the best way to handle things, as I've already stated. The effects it would have had on MY living situation has nothing to do with you, and in no conceivable way changes the fact that you were being just as childish as I was, and I'mma call out that hypocrisy all day long. Your "bu bu bu I only act childish on the internet, and while simultaneously attempting to give out adult advice!" is fucking laughable.

The effects it had on your living situation have nothing to do with me...or anyone else on this message board. You don't want strangers posting their opinions, don't cry about your problems on the Fucking Internet.

I'll admit though, if it weren't me you were responding to I'd have laughed at Streets Of Rage Post-It and Secret Anger Karate.

They were good lines. See? We're makin' progress.

Riggs

Banned
The effects it had on your living situation have nothing to do with me...or anyone else on this message board. You don't want strangers posting their opinions, don't cry about your problems on the Fucking Internet.

They were good lines. See? We're makin' progress.

220px-Equilibriumposter.jpg

We must find it.

Verelios

I don't really understand this. When I had a roommate, we pooled money and went shopping every two weeks, had collective groceries, and pretty much said go to town.

I come from a pretty big family so maybe that's why it never bothered me?

Riggs

Banned
I don't really understand this. When I had a roommate, we pooled money and went shopping every two weeks, had collective groceries, and pretty much said go to town.

I come from a pretty big family so maybe that's why it never bothered me?

Because most people are dicks and when they are forced to live with other people, shit like this happens. Not calling anyone here a dick, but it's true.

I live alone, and it fucking rocks : )

MrPliskin

Banned
Oh yeah I would.

I strongly doubt it, but that's just me. If you've been conservative long enough to let it boil up into a "note" then you've got a long way to go until you do something serious.

Unless you really, really love cottage cheese.

Not trying to be a dick or anything, but that's just my experience with "note givers". A legitimate conversation will fix all those problems most of the time. Socially challenged notes just make the problems worse.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)

Never said a single word about how I didn't want strangers posting their opinions (should I start counting assumptions you've gotten wrong?). In fact earlier in the thread I pointed out someone's post/opinion for being good and well reasoned.

Basically, you have nothing. Your post was 100% undeniably hypocritical, and I called you out. Big fuckin deal. Move along.

Stasis

I had a roommate who would do this periodically. My gf and I would buy specific items for a planned dinner, and the next day some would be missing. He wouldn't call to ask or anything.

The best part is when I finally confronted him about it one evening and he denied it. He literally told me it wasn't him, and then got pissed that I was accusing him. It was JUST me and him living there, lol. It was amazing... and he finally came clean telling me that he was afraid I'd be pissed. He's not a particularly logical/smart person. I'm still somewhat friendly with him, but really the moral of the story is... friends of or not:

Fuck roommates.

Shorty

Banned
No, i'm sorry.But we're not dogs. You can't take something of someone else's and think it's okay. If I was living with severely mentally handicapped people maybe it would make sense? But full grown average humans know that eating an unopened package of someone's bacon and not replacing it is wrong.
LOL BUT UR USRNAME IZ TIEMDOG!?!?

Barrage

Never said a single word about how I didn't want strangers posting their opinions (should I start counting assumptions you've gotten wrong?). In fact earlier in the thread I pointed out someone's post/opinion for being good and well reasoned.

Basically, you have nothing. Your post was !00% undeniably hypocritical, and I called you out. Big fuckin deal. Move along.

Timedog, you're saying your living situation is none of my business, WHEN IT IS THE TOPIC OF A POST YOU CREATED ON A PUBLIC INTERNET FORUM.

It's not hypocricy when my post reflects context. It makes zero sense to try to equate conduct on an anonymous message board to conduct with the people you live in the same household on a 1:1, and the fact that you think the two are the same shows the kind of lack of social reasoning that led to the creation of The Note in the first oplace.

Just stop. You've admitted that the very reason you created this topic (the note) was a bad idea. Stop trying to be Master DeBater when you're 0-1 against yourself.

remz

I'm on team timedog here, I'd flip my shit if people ate my food as well. fuck that. just because we share a house doesn't mean you get to "share" my food as well.

I live in a share house ATM and pretty much everyone buys their own shit and eats their own shit as far as I know, at least I've never noticed anything of mine missing.

Notes, ass kicking, all good. fuck people who eat other people's shit. Community/shared groceries are different of course but if you've bought something that's specifically yours they should stay away :|

MrPliskin

Banned
Social ineptitude isn't a reason to leave an inexplicably angry note. Talk you the room mates, ask them to replace the goods...profit.

I don't have a shared fridge because my room is disgustingly tiny. I'm moving into a one bedroom apt in a month and a half anyway, so it won't be such a problem.

If you are moving out in a month and a half then why are you making such a big deal? Yes I know they have been stealing your food, but if this has been going on for a while you should have dealt with it then, seems a little foolish to start complaining now.

Bladenic

Eating my food was pretty much the reason why my freshman roommate and I were never friends. I kind of look back and wish I had acted differently about it. I actually talked to him from the beginning about it but he sort of got offended and laughed at me and told his friends which is why we never became good friends.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Timedog, you're saying your living situation is none of my business, WHEN IT IS THE TOPIC OF A POST YOU CREATED ON A PUBLIC INTERNET FORUM.

It's not hypocricy when my post reflects context. It makes zero sense to try to equate conduct on an anonymous message board to conduct with the people you live in the same household on a 1:1, and the fact that you think the two are the same shows the kind of lack of social reasoning that led to the creation of The Note in the first oplace.

Just stop. You've admitted that the very reason you created this topic (the note) was a bad idea. Stop trying to be Master DeBater when you're 0-1 against yourself.

I never said it was none of your business (again, should I start counting the assumptions your 0/X on?). You were making assumptions about what would have happened, how it would have changed my living situation, and whether or not I would have liked that change.

Don't advise someone (and especially not in a holier-than-thou, belittling fashion) to not be childish while in the process being childish yourself. Super simple concept that you seem to not be able to grasp.

My rash guess is that all the people rallying against Timedog probably still live at home and have no means of relating to what he's talking about.

There is something super shitty about going for some of the food you've paid for/prepared, only to find that in your own place, you don't have security over the most basic fucking things that belong to you.

Ryaaan14

Banned
If my roommate ever left a note like that, I'd stop eating his food.

And start secretly putting my balls on all the food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom