• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roommates...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggus

I have a fun roommate horror story. It's a bit long and I've posted it before I think but I love telling people about it. It has a nice ending. :D

We had been living in an apartment together for about 9 months on a 10 month lease while both going to college. In the 9th month (June), I had gone home for the summer but still had some of my stuff in our apartment that I was going to get before we had our final cleaning and checkout in late July. For the previous 9 months I had written the check for rent to run down to the office and she gave me her half. But since I was at home, I had to entrust her to do it for once. So I got her bank details from her, went to her bank, and deposited my share of the rent into her account so she could write the check. She confirmed it was in her account and all was well. In the final two or three months that we had been living together, our friendship was pretty much dead to various disagreements but this particular exchange was friendly, which left me with a good feeling for a change.

That feeling was short-lived though. A few weeks later in early or mid July I got a call from the main office that went something like this:

Girl from main office: "Hi, we were just wondering what you were wanting us to do with the stuff that's still in your apartment. Do you want us to throw it away for you? It looks like there's a bed, a desk, and some other items. There's also a bag of garbage in the middle of the kitchen floor."

Me: "Wait, what? Our checkout date is July 24th."

Girl: "Yes, well uhmm... We never received a payment for this month's rent so for us that was an indicator that you were forfeiting your deposit and checking out early."

Me: "Shit."

I was fucking furious. My roommate removed all of her stuff from the apartment, left a bag of garbage on the floor, and took off with my share of the rent money to live somewhere else without paying the July rent. We were about to lose our entire $765 deposit and be charged a massive cleaning fee. I immediately contacted her to find out what was going on (maybe something drastic came up, right?) and she said "just talk to my parents" etc. She refused to take any responsibility and she had no good reason for not paying. When I refused to get her parents involved, she became very defensive. Especially when I told her that I would need to take her to small claims court if my share of the rent wasn't returned and if we got charged a massive fee because of her irresponsible behavior. She said "well my dad's friend is an attorney so we'll counter sue!" When I asked "lol counter sue for what?" she of course had no answer. Hahahaha. Yes, this is how dumb she was but it gets worse.

This is where things got really fucked. While I was trying to get something worked out, a couple days later I was woken up in the morning by a call from her dad. I didn't take the call but I listened to his message. He was screaming at me on the phone as if I had punched his daughter in the face or something. He said he was going to come and kick my ass but never said why. I laughed it off and showed the message to my mom. She took it a bit more seriously and went to the local police with it. They called the dad, and he started screaming at them too. The officer said, "sir I suggest you calm down because I'm trying to decide if I should come and arrest you right now."

It turns out that my roommate LIED to her parents and said that I sent a threatening email to her with a picture of me holding a gun. I'm not making that up one bit. When I heard this and that the police were now suspicious of ME, I was so pissed I about threw my phone out the window. The police told us not to contact each other in any form, and for me to file the small claims forms. My roommate of course had NO email to prove that I threatened her. Hell, I never threatened her in ANY way other than with the small claims stuff. So on the day that I was filling out the small claims forms, I received a check in the mail from her dad for my half of the rent that my roommate tried to run off with. It was obvious she was still feeding her parents bullshit about me because in the memo he wrote "nonsense." By this point they knew they could not defend themselves in court against me since I had all of our agreements documented.

My next task was to drive three hours from home to the apartment complex with my best friend (who graciously volunteered to help) and clean the apartment in order to avoid a cleaning fee. My roommate's mom (who I thought was more level-headed but apparently not) had also lied to me and said they had done half the cleaning. In reality the place was fucking filthy when we got there. All they had done was removed all of her shit and put some trash in a bag. They didn't even bother to take the trash out. They left it right in the middle of the goddamn kitchen floor. My friend and I spent two days getting the place as spotless as possible and had to spend the night in a crappy frat house basement where we shotgunned leftover beers to pass the time. By this point the apartment management knew what was going on and were fully on my side. So we avoided a cleaning fee. We still lost the deposit (since the July rent was never paid) but getting my share of the rent back negated it. After a while, my ex-roommate moved to Arizona and I never heard anything about her again... Until just a few weeks ago.

I was recently tipped off on something I found pretty funny yet predictable:

lol.jpg

This screencap is from the public records of Maricopa County Justice Courts in Arizona.

Sara (my ex-roommate) and her friend were ordered to pay $2894.25 to Desert Vista/Dunlap and Magee Property Management (I assume this is who they were renting from.) It appears she didn't learn her lesson the first time and continues to make decisions without thinking about the consequences.

Karma, my friends, turned out to be an even bigger bitch than she is.

I was recently tipped off on something I found pretty funny yet predictable:

lol.jpg

I remember this story somehow.

I had a massive lol moment from the screen cap. I hadn't realised the content would be below the heading as I am used to it being on the right. So as I look at the top I read it as "Relationship: Sex Attorney".

Piggus

Aha yeah I read it like that as well.

And yes I posted it a few months ago but the whole Arizona court thing was a recent development so I figured it was worth updating. ;p

Hey man, at least your roomates dont bring tranny hookers into your apartment, or bring in random street kids who steal your shit and have their pet rat shit all over the place, or randomly take a knife out into the hallway and say "i'ma get those bitches, you guys stay here".

So glad I don't live there anymore.

Kusagari

I've had my first roommates since August. They're all fine, and we get along but mostly stay out of each others way.

However, one of them was always kind of weird. He said he was Chris Brown's cousin, and actually had a ridiculous amount of pictures of Chris Brown and his family, including one of him with Brown's mom, so I was kind of forced to believe him. He would also never leave the apartment, and just play CoD all day, but somehow had girls coming to the apartment every night to fuck him. I'm still confused as to how he even met these chicks because he never went out.

Eventually, he rented a gigantic 50 inch 3D t.v. from one of those rental companies. Anyway, he became even more secluded and started never even leaving his room besides for food and to let chicks in. He never went to class as far as I knew.

He then said he was going home to TN, for Thanksgiving, and had some guy help put the t.v. in their car. I just kind of shrugged about it at first, but then he never came back.

Since then we've had to deal with the police and various other people coming to ask about him. It's been a gigantic headache. They don't even have anything on him, besides breaking his lease, because the car, which was a rental car, and the rented t.v. were actually signed for by one of the chicks he fucked. I was mind blown at the stupidity.

Anyway, it was just bizarre. I still don't even understand how he got accepted into UF as a transfer student to begin with. And I know he was accepted because I went with him to get his student ID.

Piggus

Hey man, at least your roomates dont bring tranny hookers into your apartment, or bring in random street kids who steal your shit and have their pet rat shit all over the place, or randomly take a knife out into the hallway and say "i'ma get those bitches, you guys stay here".

So glad I don't live there anymore.

Oh god. My ex-roommate brought home random frat bros to screw just about every week but for the most part they were fine. I'm actually still friends with a couple of the ones who realized how batshit insane she was.

I've had my first roommates since August. They're all fine, and we get along but mostly stay out of each others way.

However, one of them was always kind of weird. He said he was Chris Brown's cousin, and actually had a ridiculous amount of pictures of Chris Brown and his family, including one of him with Brown's mom, so I was kind of forced to believe him. He would also never leave the apartment, and just play CoD all day, but somehow had girls coming to the apartment every night to fuck him. I'm still confused as to how he even met these chicks because he never went out.

Eventually, he rented a gigantic 50 inch 3D t.v. from one of those rental companies. Anyway, he became even more secluded and started never even leaving his room besides for food and to let chicks in. He never went to class as far as I knew.

He then said he was going home to TN, for Thanksgiving, and had some guy help put the t.v. in their car. I just kind of shrugged about it at first, but then he never came back.

Since then we've had to deal with the police and various other people coming to ask about him. It's been a gigantic headache. They don't even have anything on him, besides breaking his lease, because the car, which was a rental car, and the rented t.v. were actually signed for by one of the chicks he fucked. I was mind blown at the stupidity.

Anyway, it was just bizarre. I still don't even understand how he got accepted into UF as a transfer student to begin with. And I know he was accepted because I went with him to get his student ID.

Haha that's bizarre. He was probably meeting those girls online on a site like MyYearbook or something.

Xelinis

My turn to vent.

So one of my housemates, the one I share my bathroom with, is a 33 year old man-child. How you ask? Here's the latest in a string of mishaps.

I got back home last Friday night and realized that we were out of toilet paper, so I made a mental note to myself to buy some in the morning. I woke up the next day and decided that, before I left, I wanted to take a shower.

I opened the bathroom door and said to myself, "Huh, why's my towel on the ground? What's that, uh, big brown stain on it?"

Just wanted to follow up on this.

We finally managed to get him kicked out and he moved last night. Though, not before the fucker stole my PS3.

Bladenic

Just wanted to follow up on this.

We finally managed to get him kicked out and he moved last night. Though, not before the fucker stole my PS3.

WHA.....? Go get it back. And kick his ass. Or call the cops. Or just kick his ass. But get it back.

MIMIC

Banned
Reminded me of this:

ZusAG.jpg

LOL.

But couldn't this person get into trouble for bringing drugs to the workplace (unless it was a bluff)

But regarding the OP: I've written similar notes (because my family loves to eat shit up). But I'm a little less confrontational about it :) I have a note in the fridge on my stuff right now that simply states: "This is my lunch for work. Please do not go inside."

Stuff in the fridge that contains more than one serving of something (ice-cream, 2 liter pops, lunch meat, etc.) is considered to be food for everyone, unless otherwise noted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom