• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeku

I hate the feeling of being drunk, so I of course am confused as shit when Dan or someone talks about going out and drinking purely to get drunk. I mean, I conceptually understand, but it's not a concept I can find personally relatable.

Alcohol itself sort of burns and doesn't taste good. That's why it's been made to taste like infinite things over the years; people can cope with it that way to achieve non-sobriety. Beer is a pretty easy way of doing that, but for me it's way too much fattening crap over mind-alteration.

The bravery that comes with being drunk is something that I can see someone with anxiety wanting, me included. Looking for a quick route to not being afraid of anything outside your little bubble is a tantalizing feeling to chase.

that stuff is actually a root beer flavored beer. it's impressive how much they nailed the taste, though it's too sweet for me

...coming from a guy who downed a 6 pack one weekend

I've managed to do that myself. In my area it was popular enough that it was rather hard to find, so I ended up getting a 24 pack.

That was an enjoyable after dinner beer.

I sent this in as an email to the Bombcast, but it probably won't get read, so I'll ask here as well.

Why do you guys think there's such a stigma socially about alcoholic beverages that taste good? Smirnoff Ice, ciders, wine coolers, etc. Stuff on the weaker end of the spectrum that tastes better (or at least sweeter) than your typical beer or hard liquor. They talked about it a bit on the Ryckertcast, especially as something guys do to each other. Why? "Real men" are only supposed to get drunk on stuff that tastes mostly like either piss or fire?

It's something that's always bugged me since I started drinking.

People actually do that? I just mix vodka with sprite or juices, or just drink jack and coke because alcohol tastes like shit and i don't think i actually got any shit for that.

yami4ct

Alcohol itself sort of burns and doesn't taste good. That's why it's been made to taste like infinite things over the years; people can cope with it that way to achieve non-sobriety. Beer is a pretty easy way of doing that, but for me it's way too much fattening crap over mind-alteration.

The bravery that comes with being drunk is something that I can see someone with anxiety wanting, me included. Looking for a quick route to not being afraid of anything outside your little bubble is a tantalizing feeling to chase.

As someone that gets pretty severe anxiety at times, alcohol actually makes it worse for me. I'm always afraid of coming off as/being an idiot, and being drunk only amplifies that idea,

Anxiety sure is a funny problem.

Joeku

As someone that gets pretty severe anxiety at times, alcohol actually makes it worse for me. I'm always afraid of coming off as/being an idiot, and being drunk only amplifies that idea,

So, I don't ask this in a dickish way, but have you been drunk enough to let go of the perception of judgment? It gets called "liquid courage" for a reason. Inhibitions get lost, and at least in my case, I can hit a safe middle ground where I'm not worried about constant judgment and outside opinions but yet not be a staggering mess.

Maybe I'm lucky that way.

yami4ct

So, I don't ask this in a dickish way, but have you been drunk enough to let go of the perception of judgment? It gets called "liquid courage" for a reason. Inhibitions get lost, and at least in my case, I can hit a safe middle ground where I'm not worried about constant judgment and outside opinions but yet not be a staggering mess.

Maybe I'm lucky that way.

Probably not, but I don't particularly find the feeling of being drunk to be pleasant at all, so I don't ever push it that far.

Like, no judgment to people that do. If they aren't hurting others, whatever. Just not a vice that has ever worked for me.

I'm the total opposite. and I can be drunk to the point of falling down/passing out and never feel out of control or like I'm going to say or do something irresponsible. I'm the most benign drunk possible.

although I do always feel the urge to pick up a musical instrument; fortunately I don't know that many songs on acoustic guitar. maybe one day I'll just sing Neutral Milk Hotel and see if it pisses anyone off

Brashnir

Anxiety sure is a motherfucker. I don't get that reaction to alcohol at all, but I can see where it would come from. Mine manifests in other, sometimes harmless, sometimes horrible ways.

Anxiety doesn't come from the logic center of your brain so it's almost impossible to rationalize to people where it comes from in most cases.

yami4ct

Anxiety sure is a motherfucker. I don't get that reaction to alcohol at all, but I can see where it would come from. Mine manifests in other, sometimes harmless, sometimes horrible ways.

Anxiety doesn't come from the logic center of your brain so it's almost impossible to rationalize to people where it comes from in most cases.

Mine mostly manifests in a general feeling of 'people have to like me' and a fear of the opposite, but yeah it can be really frustrating and yet simultaneously hilarious. I've been working on getting over it and am generally doing a decent job, but it's odd.

I also get the more pessimistic kind of 'everything is going to go to shit' feeling. Now that kind is the worst motherfucker I've ever seen.

Joeku

I'm the total opposite. and I can be drunk to the point of falling down/passing out and never feel out of control or like I'm going to say or do something irresponsible. I'm the most benign drunk possible.

although I do always feel the urge to pick up a musical instrument; fortunately I don't know that many songs on acoustic guitar. maybe one day I'll just sing Neutral Milk Hotel and see if it pisses anyone off

Oh, it will.

Brashnir

Mine mostly manifests in a general feeling of 'people have to like me' and a fear of the opposite, but yeah it can be really frustrating and yet simultaneously hilarious. I've been working on getting over it and am generally doing a decent job, but it's odd.

I also get the more pessimistic kind of 'everything is going to go to shit' feeling. Now that kind is the worst motherfucker I've ever seen.

Well hopefully it never affects your work. I lost a job last year because my anxiety got so bad over a few things that I struggled to daily job functions and my productivity went to shit.

skynidas

Banned

YRDDs28.gif

yami4ct

Well hopefully it never affects your work. I lost a job last year because my anxiety got so bad over a few things that I struggled to daily job functions and my productivity went to shit.

Man, that really sucks. I can totally understand how something could go that way.

I had to take a break from school because shit was getting in the way of me being successful. It's not going to kill me and I'm in the place where I'll be able to go back in the fall, but I totally understand how it can interfere with your daily life and how crummy that is.

There's a nice middle point between sober and drunk where my anxiety pretty much disappears, but it can almost be worse if I overshoot it. Same with that other drug that people frequently use but i'm not sure if google lets us talk about anymore. The mind is weird!

Nishastra

Banned
GBeast is killing me >_< I keep going to the site hoping that a Play Date for Life is Strange will pop up on the schedule :(
Yeah. I know they started Episode 4 after the GOTY stuff was recorded, but on last week's Beastcast they were going on about doing more Kerbal with not a word about finishing Life is Strange.

yami4ct

man, where is the new content. someone tell Dan to Periscope some random shit.

I'm so glad there's a UPF tomorrow. I need some long form Giant Bomb stupidity. A new Old Game Show or Demo Derby (with Jeff) would be perfect, but a UPF would be good enough.

daydream

Banned
WHEN YOU WERE YOUNG YOU WERE THE KING OF CARROT FLOWWWERRRSSS

nope

nope

i'm leaving

hey man, nice party but yeah, i gotta be going, you know? ..oh nooo, no no, it's not the singing, you know, i just-- i have this other thing, you know, i promised i'd drop by? ..yeaaah. yeah. alright, see ya

LiK

I'm so glad there's a UPF tomorrow. I need some long form Giant Bomb stupidity. A new Old Game Show or Demo Derby (with Jeff) would be perfect, but a UPF would be good enough.

a surprise MPP after vacation would be great but i bet Jeff probably vetoed that lol

yami4ct

a surprise MPP after vacation would be great but i bet Jeff probably vetoed that lol

A new MPP would be so good. I know people love the live show, but there's something to be said for the contained stupidity of them in a studio slowly going mad. You also don't get assholes yelling 'skill' every 10 seconds.

I mean, you're not really explaining why, you're just reinforcing the stigma.

It's like soda with some booze it. I'm a guy that used to love soda. I was bummed as fuck when my roommates at the time told me it wasn't something dudes drink.
As a cider and drinker of Jameson with ginger ale and rum and cokes I honestly don't care what people think about what I drink in the same way I don't care what they drink.

But if you're asking why people look down on those drinks it's likely due to them being associated with underage and newbie drinkers who haven't developed a tolerance or taste for finer things yet.

nope

nope

i'm leaving

hey man, nice party but yeah, i gotta be going, you know? ..oh nooo, no no, it's not the singing, you know, i just-- i have this other thing, you know, i promised i'd drop by? ..yeaaah. yeah. alright, see ya

the squares are finally leaving guys. bust out the trumpets

Y'all are making me want to break out my Neutral Milk Hotel vinyl box set.

Yeah I do actually have that.

yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom