• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

R5VLIP0.png

FtVvboy.png

8E6Dg1g.png

2u7ApcW.png

otjQJCX.png

NpkUJLi.png

MMd4TMq.png

CXm55BA.png

07jFg6o.png

reLoFtZ.png

9PnmTH7.png

x5uQX6x.png

FVq6bJD.png

EWIvJTA.png

Release
Japan: November 27, 2014 [Available now!]
North America: January 20, 2015 [Available now!]
Europe: January 20, 2015 [Available now!]

Price
Japan (Digital): 3,694 yen + tax
Japan (Retail): 3,990 yen + tax
North America: $19.99
Europe: EUR19.99 / GBP15.99

PlayStation 4 | Xbox One
Digital distribution
Genre: Survival horror
Resolution: 1080p
Frame Rate: 30 FPS
Audio: 5.1ch

PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360
Digital distribution
Resolution: 720p
Frame Rate: 30 FPS

PC
Digital distribution
Release: 20.01.2015
Frame Rate: 30 FPS/60 FPS

・Minimum System Requirements
CPU: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
AMD Athlon™ X2 2.8 GHz
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Hard Drive: 20 GB available space
Display: 1024×768
Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX260
ATI Radeon HD 6790
Sound Card: DirectSound Support (DirectX® 9.0c)
DirectX®: DirectX® 9.0c
Input Device: Mouse / Keyboard
(Recommended: Xbox 360® Controller for Windows®)
Broadband internet connection required to access Steam.

・Recommended System Requirements
CPU: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad 2.7 GHz
AMD Phenom™ II X4 3.0 GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Hard Drive: 20 GB available space
Display: 1280×720
Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560
ATI Radeon HD 6950
Sound Card: DirectSound Support (DirectX® 9.0c)
DirectX®: DirectX® 9.0c
Input Device: Mouse / Keyboard
(Recommended: Xbox 360® Controller for Windows®)
Broadband internet connection required to access Steam.​

EWIvJTA.png

MSWWNy8.png

EWIvJTA.png

Important notice
A few music tracks in the game are inexplicably sped up and distorted. Here's a video comparing the remaster's version of one track to the original: Biohazard HD Remaster Music Glitch
However, there is a fan-made solution available (at least on PC). Someone repacked the original audio files to replace the new versions with, here: Fixed Background Music

Thank you, Fimbulvetr, for the heads-up!

MormaPope

Banned
JAPAN GETS THIS NOW?! And North Americans have to wait for a couple or few months?

962.gif

I feel dat European pain now, I understand it.

VICI0US

I saw the thread, and thought it was out NOW. Why do you do this to me??!!

haha, same

I still have my GC copy and play through it every now and then on my wii, but I'll buy the remaster just to support good, actual survival horror RE.

pa22word

JAPAN GETS THIS NOW?! And North Americans have to wait for a couple or few months?

962.gif

I feel dat European pain now, I understand it.

Not really surprising considering the timing. Capcom knows if they launch a digital only remaster of a remake of a 17/18 year old game (FUCK I feel old ;-;) they'll probably get buried by black friday and all the other major launches of super franchises that are happening right now. Considering the game had to be localized for Japan this time around, they probably have had a NA goldmaster ready for quite some time now, and are just waiting out the holidays to launch it.

ExVicis

Yeah I was wondering why there was an OT. I thought to myself "The hell it's already out and I DON'T OWN IT?!" but then I saw that Japan release. Goddammit!

Neff

Setting up a Japanese PSN account is braindead easy, as is buying Japanese yen, so nobody will have to wait if they really want it, at least on PS3. Or they could always just go and buy the region-free disc which is very reasonably priced.

Speaking of which, I bought the Japanese Collector's Package and also a regular Asia version from Play-Asia. The CP got shipped a few hours ago. Asia version shows as 'packing'.

Anyone gotten this and playing on their American or European PSN account? Are trophies in english and does the game list as Biohazard or Resident Evil?

Anyone gotten this and playing on their American or European PSN account? Are trophies in english and does the game list as Biohazard or Resident Evil?

Trophies are in englisch, the game is called biohazard, both in the XBM and in-game, no matter what language you select. (I downloaded with my jp acc obviously, but installed and played on my US acc on an european PS3.)

Lernaean

Banned
Great work on the OT, Love Deterrence. Thank you!

Speaking of which, I bought the Japanese Collector's Package and also a regular Asia version from Play-Asia. The CP got shipped a few hours ago. Asia version shows as 'packing'.

Only the PS3 has a CP right? I can't find a PS4 CP anywhere.

cvxfreak

Quoting my impressions from the other thread:

Resident Evil HD Remaster hits Japan and other Asian countries tomorrow (November 27), but I managed to snag an early copy for PS3 in Tokyo today, and I've been playing it. Some questions people might have:

Does it have language options?

Yes, mostly. You can enjoy the core game's text in English, Japanese and the standard European languages. Voices are available in the original English and with new Japanese voices. The Japanese voices might not be available in the Western versions (Revelations had them, but RE6 and Operation Raccoon City didn't).

However, extra features outside of the core game (see below) are in Japanese only.

Wesker's Report I and II are included. Are they the same as the previous incarnations?

(Some spoilers below for people new to the series)

Yes and no. Wesker's Report II is the same, but Wesker's Report I has been remade with a Japanese narration and cutscenes from later Resident Evil games (Zero, REmake, Operation Raccoon City, Darkside Chronicles, Umbrella Chronicles, Outbreak File #1 and File #2, and one small tidbit from RE5). The dialogue, only in Japanese this time, is mostly the same as the original with a few tweaks as to the order of some of the paragraphs. Not a huge deal and it's a bit amusing since Wesker's Report Iong ago stopped being anywhere near relevant to the series, but it's a nice view anyway.

Note that these haven't been announced for the Western releases of the game (yet).

Is it available on disc?

Yes, Japan gets both download and disc versions, but only for PS3. There's also an Xbox 360 version hitting tomorrow, but that's download-only. The PS4 and XB1 versions hit next year, probably at the same time as the Western versions.

The disc version doesn't require an HDD install like RE4 HD and CODE: Veronica X HD did.

Impressions (Visuals, Controls, Etc.)

It's good to be playing REmake again on a modern system and an HD version is long overdue. However, so far, after an hour, I have mixed impressions. Controls are solid and you can choose between the classic tank controls or more fluid controls that let you move in the direction you push the D-Pad/L3 stick.

The visuals take some getting used to. They retain the basic look of the original REmake, but the pre-rendered backgrounds have obviously been upscaled and a filter applied to them. Sometimes this looks good; other times, the game looks like an oil painting (and I find this to be unappealing). I'm not sure I can sense much consistency in the new visuals. There are some rooms that have been remade in full 3D, such as the crypt below the mansion's center courtyard. These look quite good.

I am playing the game on widescreen, meaning that the camera angles will pan a little bit since they were originally made in 4:3. This was previously seen in Resident Evil Zero in a limited number of areas, and it's more prominent now. I think it makes the game feel less static, and doesn't seem unnatural even to those who played the original.

The character models are also the same as the original version, with some touchups in the textures that give more detail. They're actually quite close to what we saw with RE5, and in fact Chris and Jill's alternate costumes, available from the start of the game, seem to be pulled directly from those games.

Unlike CODE: Veronica X HD, cutscenes are not super-compressed low res videos. They look quite good considering their age and that they were designed for the GameCube era.

I'm open to answering any questions people may have about the game. I'm going to keep playing more and see what other changes this HD remaster might have. But overall, a good effort by Capcom given the limits they had with the prerendered visuals.

Sectus

My impressions I wrote in another thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS36UgVNGdY - I uploaded a first impressions video of REmaster. Doesn't really show much besides the start of the game and various options.

Short summary:
- The game looks good overall. With the exception of specific rooms (like the outdoor area just outside the main hall), they upscale well to 720p. The ones which don't upscale well do look like crap though.
- While I think they did a good job implementing 16:9, 4:3 feels a lot better to use.
- New controls feel identical to DMC4 controls, and they are actually unwieldy at times. Tank controls feels better and looks a lot better in my opinion.
- All the characters sound super manly in Japanese.
- Wesker's Report is in Japanese only, with no subtitles.

Instead of actually playing the game, I'm now trying to do modding stuff using my jtag. They ported the game to MT Framework, so modding is very viable.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yeah, well, I was waiting on the PS4 version anyway.

I want this now

Speaking of the PS4 release,I said this in another thread, but I think the graphics look absolutely fine for what they had to work with. Certainly better than some screenshots led me to believe. And honestly, I doubt we'll see a big change between versions.

The one thing I could see the next gen version improving is the framerate. While fine for the most part, there is some occasional stutter during gameplay and some really bad framerate issues during certain camera angles in cinematics. Though that's likely more bad programming than any technical limitations, so who knows if it'll be fixed...

olimpia84

My copy from PlayAsia shipped. How long does it usually take for something like this to arrive? (first time ordering from them).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Great OT :)

can't wait for my order to arrive.

here's hoping they do this with Zero soon too.

Sectus

My copy from PlayAsia shipped. How long does it usually take for something like this to arrive? (first time ordering from them).

What shipping did you go for? When I ordered Dragon's Crown from them last year I had to wait 2-3 weeks before I got it. That was with "Air Economy Bubble" shipping.

Grizzo

I was watching a guy streaming the 360 version on Twitch last night and he kept saying that he couldn't use the same strategy as he did before (he said he had already played through the first REmake like 15 times) because they changed the location of some enemies? Is that true?

That'd be a great way to shake up the game a little!

Top Bottom