• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Mr_Zombie

I forgot how painful these games are to play at times. having controls switch because it's constantly switching camera angles is some of the most infuriating bad design I've experienced.

But the controls do not switch. No matter how the camera is set up: you press up - you're going forward; you press down - you're going back; left and right - you turn around. That's why tank controls work with static camera angles.

But the controls do not switch. No matter how the camera is set up: you press up - you're going forward; you press down - you're going back; left and right - you turn around. That's why tank controls work with static camera angles.

That's not what I'm saying and it's why the game is so terrible at times. You'll be pushing a statue and then it completely switches where that direction now has you running away from the statue. It's needlessly bad to make it more difficult and therefore scary since it'll screw you up a lot more if you're panicked or something is attacking you.

Mr_Zombie

You'll be pushing a statue and then it completely switches where that direction now has you running away from the statue.

But that's not true. Unless you use the modern/3D controls (or whatever they are called in HD remasters) when you're pushing the statue, your character is facing the statue and so you have to press the Up button to move it. When the camera switches, your character is still facing the statue, so pressing up will still make the character move forward toward the statue, i.e. pushing it in the same direction.

And if you're using the modern controls - then shame on you; that's why you shouldn't using it.

Dai101

Banned
Final time: 3:42

Not sure how I could shave off a lot of time.

Dodge, don't kill

Learn the game scenarios layout

Ítem management (learn what ítems you will need to avoid as much as possible ítem boxes/ítem screen)

Always try to be on green or light Orange healt, you run and move faster

I'm sure i'm missing something, that's from the top of my head.

Good luck.

bobawesome

Wait, so what are the difficulties then?

Normal at top, then easy, then very easy?

I believe that's the case. I'm almost certain I picked the middle option.

Dodge, don't kill

Learn the game scenarios layout

Ítem management (learn what ítems you will need to avoid as much as possible ítem boxes/ítem screen)

Always try to be on green or light Orange healt, you run and move faster

I'm sure i'm missing something, that's from the top of my head.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tips. Thinking back on my playthrough, I probably messed around too much in the typewriter rooms and took the long way around the mansion a couple of times.

Minamu

Bit of a bump but I finally tried this game on ps4 yesterday and I was a bit discouraged by the poor graphics :/ Is that a common thing that the art assets are poor? I read somewhere that they didn't have access to all original files. Some of the backgrounds at the very early parts were abysmal :(

Mr_Zombie

Bit of a bump but I finally tried this game on ps4 yesterday and I was a bit discouraged by the poor graphics :/ Is that a common thing that the art assets are poor? I read somewhere that they didn't have access to all original files. Some of the backgrounds at the very early parts were abysmal :(

Believe me, you haven't see an abysmal background until you reach the Aqua Ring ;)

But yes, unfortunately the backgrounds are blurry and filtered to hell and back since they had to somehow turn 640x480px (or less, I forgot what was the original resolution) images into 1920x1080p ones. The good thing is, after a while you will stop noticing it (with some really bad exceptions). It definitely helps if you play in the 4:3 mode since the backgrounds are a bit scaled down then.

Minamu

Believe me, you haven't see an abysmal background until you reach the Aqua Ring ;)

But yes, unfortunately the backgrounds are blurry and filtered to hell and back since they had to somehow turn 640x480px (or less, I forgot what was the original resolution) images into 1920x1080p ones. The good thing is, after a while you will stop noticing it (with some really bad exceptions). It definitely helps if you play in the 4:3 mode since the backgrounds are a bit scaled down then.
Ah that's too bad. I hope I can manage it :) I had the same thought about 4:3 as you mentioned, I'll check it out!

gray_fox224

As we are nearing the release of RE 7, I decided to finally play through this game in its entirty.

Has anyone played the entire game using a video walk through? I'm terrible at RE games and always get stuck...

Lothar

Banned
As we are nearing the release of RE 7, I decided to finally play through this game in its entirty.

Has anyone played the entire game using a video walk through? I'm terrible at RE games and always get stuck...

It would be more fun if you just came here when you got stuck.

GrayChild

My advice is to take your time and play on easy if you find it too difficult at first. A huge part of the enjoyment consists of figuring out how to progress, defeating or escaping the enemies and soaking the atmosphere at your own pace. Using a walkthrough will ruin the sense of mystery and discovery.

Not to mention that it's not a very long game. Completing one of the campaigns should not take you more than 10 hours.

Oh man just finished resident evil 7 and then decided to play this. Big mistake, just an endless fetch quest with loading screens. I also can't deal with the fixed camera angle. I definitely respect the history of the game but def not for me.

Oh man just finished resident evil 7 and then decided to play this. Big mistake, just an endless fetch quest with loading screens. I also can't deal with the fixed camera angle. I definitely respect the history of the game but def not for me.

I'm 100% sure the camera angle and controls are the issue for you. It takes a lot of getting used to if you didn't play it when it came out like we did, but it it's worth trying to adjust to. The game play loop is largely the same as re7. Re7 is basically classic re in first person

ScOULaris

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this one hurts to read. I think REmake is the best in the series. One of the best survival horror games of all time IMO.

I'm 100% sure the camera angle and controls are the issue for you. It takes a lot of getting used to if you didn't play it when it came out like we did, but it it's worth trying to adjust to. The game play loop is largely the same as re7. Re7 is basically classic re in first person

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this one hurts to read. I think REmake is the best in the series. One of the best survival horror games of all time IMO.

Thanks guys for the input. I'm going to keep playing and hopefully it clicks because I am definitely enjoying the story and atmosphere. I think I am almost done with the mansion, just getting the masks.

Top Bottom