• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

HOLY FUCK. Started from the save same in Lisa's cabin again. Got to Plant 42. Dead. GAH.

I didn't fight the plant when I played through with Jill on the cube version last year. Got cocky and only brought one healing item thinking I would beat it first time like all the other bosses. Nah. All the acid and tentacles got me. I'm saving before I fight it again lord. Just have to do the entire residence and aqua ring sequence AGAIN. At least I'mma get really fast at it.

This game reminds me why I generally dislike games that require inventory management. Forget to grab an item from the storage box? Sorry you gotta go all the way back...sigh

The game is designed for multiple playthroughs. Understand that the game itself is pretty damn short and they had to use management concepts that extends the player time. However, returning for a second wind pretty much would let you fly through if you know how to "optimize" your paths and inventory; the game essentially rewards you with it. That's why you get the "infinite weapon" at the end of the game if you beat it under that duress.

The game is designed for multiple playthroughs. Understand that the game itself is pretty damn short and they had to use management concepts that extends the player time. However, returning for a second wind pretty much would let you fly through if you know how to "optimize" your paths and inventory; the game essentially rewards you with it. That's why you get the "infinite weapon" at the end of the game if you beat it under that duress.

And for some reason it's remains just as fun once you know how to do everything. You really get a sense of mastery and satisfaction over the myriad halls, locked doors, monsters, and inventory management that all worked to stress you out and scare you the first time through.

Important notice
A few music tracks in the game are inexplicably sped up and distorted. Here's a video comparing the remaster's version of one track to the original: Biohazard HD Remaster Music Glitch
However, there is a fan-made solution available (at least on PC). Someone repacked the original audio files to replace the new versions with, here: Fixed Background Music

Thank you, Fimbulvetr, for the heads-up!

wow, this sucks. Has it been patched?

I finished my first playthrough with Chris on easy just to get used to the game and the tank controls. I played the game again, and finished it with Chris on normal today. I really like the game a lot. I still haven't perfected the tank controls, but I'm getting used to it. I might do Jill's campaign later.

I finished my first playthrough with Chris on easy just to get used to the game and the tank controls. I played the game again, and finished it with Chris on normal today. I really like the game a lot. I still haven't perfected tank tank controls, but I'm getting used to it. I might do Jill's campaign later.

do it bro Jill campaign is much easier.

I finished my first playthrough with Chris on easy just to get used to the game and the tank controls. I played the game again, and finished it with Chris on normal today. I really like the game a lot. I still haven't perfected the tank controls, but I'm getting used to it. I might do Jill's campaign later.
Practice and perfect faking out zombies to initiate their grab move and you'll find things a whole lot easier.

gelf

Soundtrack mods where the main thing that motivated me to buy this again on PC. Up-ressed graphics and 60fps mean fairly little to me but I desperately wanted to play REmake with the original soundtrack modded in and now I can.

Did someone patch in the correct basement music yet? You know what i'm talking about.

That will always be the dream mod.

Chris is easy mode. He has more health and is stronger. You get more head shots. Rebecca gives you free heals. It's also more frustrating due to less inventory spots but thats not challenge related, that's just a pain having to keep going back and forth. I played Chris after Jill and it was not nearly as much fun.

Story is better with Jill too because it has Barry.

But Jill also gets the lock pick while Chris uses small keys. Also, she gets the grenade launcher in addition to any weapon Chris gets. But then Chris has a lighter that doesn't take up an item spot whereas Jill's lighter does. And with defense items, zombies can get back up from being tased by Jill, and yet getting a grenade shoved in a zombie's mouth by Chris is quite final.

I also disagree on inventory spots not being challenge related. If you don't have enough space to pick up a key item and you're in red caution health status, and there's 3 crimson heads between you and the next closest storage box, that's a challenge. Also, Jill can get the shotgun without having to hang up the broken shotgun in its place because Barry saves you from the trap room.

Overall, Jill is the easier character to play with. Plus Barry is totally awesome.

Mr_Zombie

That just means Chris' and Jill's scenarios are more balanced this time instead of being hard (Chris) and easy (Jill) mode like in the original game. Chris is better at fighting (more health, better shooting, better self-defense weapons, more ammo for shotgun/magnum, always carries a lighter, has more health items thanks to Rebecca) while Jill is better at exploration (more item slots, lockpick), has access to grenade launcher (but it takes an additional space in inventory and some shotgun/magnum ammo that you find as Chris are replaced by grenades in Jill's scenario) and quicker access to shotgun.

I found Chris' scenario easier because although you have to run around the mansion a little bit more, with Jill a moment of carelessness can easily cost you life (two bites from a zombie puts you in the danger zone).

Gradon

I've just finished Jill normal mode and I'm not sure what run to do next. Any suggestions? I was thinking Chris hard but I don't wanna unlock one dangerous zombie... Does real survivor unlock costumes/weapons?

hao chi

I've just finished Jill normal mode and I'm not sure what run to do next. Any suggestions? I was thinking Chris hard but I don't wanna unlock one dangerous zombie... Does real survivor unlock costumes/weapons?

If you want to play as Chris, just load up your NG+ file and save the Chris playthrough to another file.

Though I think you have to beat the game twice as both Chris and Jill on difficulties higher than easy (so four playthroughs total) to get One Dangerous Zombie, but I could be wrong.

I played Jill on easy last week. Loaded up Chris on normal now. On normal, the first half hour or so is kind of tough. I saved in the dining room and spent a few minutes practicing dodging with the zombie in the hallway leading to the kitchen. After I got that down the game was a lot easier. After you get the sword key you can quickly get the shotgun with Chris, and then it's pretty easy going the rest of the way. From the armor key onwards there's basically no difference between Normal and Easy.

Use the Magnum on Plant 42. Takes 5 shots to kill it on Normal, and you'll get enough Magnum rounds for the Tyrant later in the game.

I might try Hard a bit later. Are there more enemies on Hard? That's the only thing I could really see adding a lot of challenge, since I've gotten it down to the point where I almost never get bitten, so more damage isn't a problem.

One important thing for the first half hour on Normal is to pick up the dagger in the upstairs dining room before you go down the hallway to get the green arrowhead. The zombie beyond the arrowhead is tough to dodge because the camera angle doesn't let you see it, so the dagger is insurance, and you won't have to burn a health item, which you have very few of at that point.

Don't bother killing the zombies in the graveyard. When it comes time to place the death masks, just take all four of them at once along with the shotgun. The graveyard zombies disappear when you've collected all the masks, and The King Crimson Head goes down in 5-6 shotgun blasts.

You've got to prioritize your zombie kills. I'd definitely take out the one standing by the east stairs save room, and probably the two in the hallway above it. You have easy access to a fuel canister right there in the save room, so no Crimson Head danger. Killing the two in the red upstairs hallway that leads to the east stairs is also good, since you'll be using that hallway a lot since the east stairs doorknob only has 2 uses before it breaks.

Don't bother killing the zombies in the arrowhead hallway. You only need to run through there once.

You can probably get away with only killing 5-6 zombies all the way up to the Shield Key. The 5 I already mentioned, and the one outside the medical storage save room. Actually, you'll probably want to kill the one in the hallway past where you find Richard, since you need to get into that room for the musical score. So 7 total through the shield key.

I loaded a save I had started months ago and I had just defeated Plant 42. No problem, dumped my items in the inventory box went back to the Mansion, defeated the snake went to drop off my key items like the Doom book medals and when I got to my storage box it looked oddly empty.

That's when I remembered that this save file was a Real Survivor mode save and I'd left a whole bunch of important items back in the residence. Felt like an idiot.

I was low on health and got killed by dog on the way there. D'oh.

I finished up my Chris playthrough at 7 hours and 40 minutes, compared to last year's dolphin Jill playthrough clocking in at like 11 hours 20 min or something. I forgot a decent amount of stuff, but still shaved off a few hours. Again I never ran into a single Crimson that wasn't one of two scripted ones, it's so easy to avoid making/running into them, I'm kinda dissapointed.

Next playthrough will hopefully be sub 5 hours.

De_Legend

Banned
I loaded a save I had started months ago and I had just defeated Plant 42. No problem, dumped my items in the inventory box went back to the Mansion, defeated the snake went to drop off my key items like the Doom book medals and when I got to my storage box it looked oddly empty.

That's when I remembered that this save file was a Real Survivor mode save and I'd left a whole bunch of important items back in the residence. Felt like an idiot.

I was low on health and got killed by dog on the way there. D'oh.

Man... your avatar, what is this game? I totally forgot what it's called.

DSmalls84

Playing through a second time as Chris and just got to the Residence. So far I'm not liking it as much as Jill. It's pretty annoying losing those 2 inventory spaces and Barry. Still a great game either way though. Hopefully I will find more shotgun and magnum ammo to help offset the loss of the grenade launcher.

Playing through a second time as Chris and just got to the Residence. So far I'm not liking it as much as Jill. It's pretty annoying losing those 2 inventory spaces and Barry. Still a great game either way though. Hopefully I will find more shotgun and magnum ammo to help offset the loss of the grenade launcher.
Normal or hard?

I finished the game last week for the 6th time since this remastered has been released.

Yep, finally had enough of it.... So freaking great.

One of my top 5 greatest games of all time.

I started playing Jill's campaign last night. I tried dodging the zombies by taking a step forward and back so they could start the grab animation. I succeeded in some attempts, but failed the rest of the attempts. I still need to get more practice on the tank controls since I still have a bit of trouble moving straight or making turns as I move because I mostly make sharp turns.

Sorry for the double post.

Just finished Jill's campaign today on Normal in 4:32:25
I still have problems faking the zombie to initiated the grab animation. Still need some practice but I plan on playing again either Jill or Chris on Hard mode.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry to bump this from the land of the dead (hah!), but I'd like to replay the game soon, but i'm hesitating between the HD version (that I don't yet own) or the Wii version (that I do own). At first I was going for the HD version, but after looking at a few screenshots on Steam, the backgrounds all seem to be "muddy" and weird. Is this an actual representation of the whole game? If so, i'll stick with the Wii version.

Thanks.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Sorry to bump this from the land of the dead (hah!), but I'd like to replay the game soon, but i'm hesitating between the HD version (that I don't yet own) or the Wii version (that I do own). At first I was going for the HD version, but after looking at a few screenshots on Steam, the backgrounds all seem to be "muddy" and weird. Is this an actual representation of the whole game? If so, i'll stick with the Wii version.

Thanks.

HD version (at least on PC) is a straight up upgrade thanks to 60fps support.

The other versions are still a big upgrade, because at worst you get backgrounds that are similarly low res to how they were on the original, and at best you have areas completely remodeled.

HD version is still outright better than original, but by how much depends on the version you get.

Mr_Zombie

Thanks.

There are only few backgrounds that are really, really bad (Aqua Ring - what have they done to you ;_;). Some backgrounds are kind of muddier (as if a slight watercolor filter was applied to them) than in the original game, but it isn't that noticable when you're actually playing the game. Backgrounds are also darker, with greater contrast and HDR lighting (especially noticable in the Tyrant room) but again, you only notice that when you compare the HD remake to the original game. On its own, it looks good.

Keep in mind that with HD version you also get:
- updated character models and textures
- updated lighting
- 60fps mode (if you play on PC)
- BSAA costumes for Chris and Jill
- ability to play the game in HD (even with muddier backgrounds it will still look better than REmake on Wii if you play it on full HD TV)

just started playing this for the 1st time (i've only played the OG black label Director's Cut on PS1), and FUUUUCK a crimson head. I really fucked up by killing a bunch of zombies, didn't I...

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm working through a REmaster run and I just got through the (mid-game arae)
Aquatic Ring
. Two observations:

1) This area is easy as hell
2) This area looks like crap

Makes sense that Capcom didn't spend a lot of resources on touching up this zone though, considering you're only there for a short while and all the water effects probably mean that this is one of the most difficult/costly areas to touch up. Still, super fun.

Mr_Zombie

Makes sense that Capcom didn't spend a lot of resources on touching up this zone though, considering you're only there for a short while and all the water effects probably mean that this is one of the most difficult/costly areas to touch up. Still, super fun.

It was both one of the prettier areas in the original version and one of the ugliest ones in the HD version. :/

Seyavesh

i guess this is where this goes
some guy is working on re-rendering the bgs to actual high resolution somehow
see:
http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/thread/5581/high-quality-backgrounds-mod?page=1&scrollTo=57163
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyRC4Fr3Jn0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XL1qL3szog
p5OD9el.png

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Oh shit, I was just asking about something like this in the RE0 thread. This is going to make an amazing game even freaking better.

I also just found this SweetFX preset that appears to add more color into the game and removes some of the washed-out quality of the lighting engine. Might give it a shot at some point.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Is this basically a super texture pack, where the modder is remodeling, retexturing, then rerendering the backgrounds? Because if so damn that is some dedication.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
If I get the physical version of RE0+REmake for PS4, will the trophies from REmake digital carry over?

Top Bottom