• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

ScOULaris

Finished my Jill playthrough today. I know that Jill is often recommended for people starting the game for the first time, but I had an easier time playing as Chris (due to his defense), especially when you return to the Mansion about halfway through. I actually died twice to the
hunters
who one-shotted me even when my heath was in the green. Overall I felt like I expended a lot more ammo on this playthrough, although I was surprised to find my playtime went from 5:30 for Chris to 4:15 for Jill.

What does everyone generally do when facing the
hunters
?
Um, I just kill them. A couple of shotgun blasts or one grenade round is enough to put them away.

Lothar

Banned
Finished my Jill playthrough today. I know that Jill is often recommended for people starting the game for the first time, but I had an easier time playing as Chris (due to his defense), especially when you return to the Mansion about halfway through. I actually died twice to the
hunters
who one-shotted me even when my heath was in the green. Overall I felt like I expended a lot more ammo on this playthrough, although I was surprised to find my playtime went from 5:30 for Chris to 4:15 for Jill.

hunters
?

Jill is recommended for all the backtracking you'd have to do as Chris, due to only 6 inventory slots. I don't think that's a fun way to experience the game for the first time. Challenge is a good thing. That's why most people also recommend to play on normal and do the old controls.

So Chris is double bad. Easier and less inventory spots. Also no Barret.

Parsnip

hunters

hunters
?

Kill 'em. :p
Though once you are more familiar with the mansion and where to go any given time, you can actually avoid most of them entirely. The only ones that are really really pain in the ass for me are the ones in east wing stairway.

Jill is recommended for all the backtracking you'd have to do as Chris, due to only 6 inventory slots. I don't think that's a fun way to experience the game for the first time. Challenge is a good thing. That's why most people also recommend to play on normal and do the old controls.

So Chris is double bad. Easier and less inventory spots. Also no Barret.

Yeah, I still prefer playing as Chris though, but it helps that I've played the game way back when it came out.

Kill 'em. :p
Though once you are more familiar with the mansion and where to go any given time, you can actually avoid most of them entirely. The only ones that are really really pain in the ass for me are the ones in east wing stairway.

That's where I got killed both times. Sometimes I can stunlock them with the shotgun, but if it doesn't knock them down I know I'm going to get hit.

Parsnip

That's where I got killed both times. Sometimes I can stunlock them with the shotgun, but if it doesn't knock them down I know I'm going to get hit.
If I'm playing a normal game I just use the magnum on them, on knife only game running up those stairs was a pain in the ass. Usually when I come back to the mansion I head to the room with the sliding walls trap first and the stairs are the shortest route, but taking the longer route might be safer overall.

HOLY HELL. How the hell did I not know about the hidden Red Hunter enemy? I've played REmake a number of times, I didn't realize there was a hidden enemy in the game, it just gave me the biggest scare. XD;; Most of you guys probably know about this, but I wasn't expecting it, let along an exclusive hidden enemy variant.

is this something added to the new HD version? I don't recall a red hunter in the gamecube version

wait so Nintendo and their fucking gamecube is the reason Resident Evil went off the rails and became a mindless grind house action series?

man Fuck nintendo so hard. They ruined everything.

REmake is a fantastic game but let's not try to pretend it's any more mentally taxing than RE4 or 5.

its a more sophisticated game than either RE 4 or 5

Only in terms of environmental navigation (including having to plan your route out, which is where pretty much all of REmake's depth is) and, to a lesser extent, resource management (which only really matters on hard). The combat is so shallow and basic compared to RE4 and 5 that it's insane to say REmake is more complex all across the board.

Finished my first Chris playthrough then to find out it was on easy -_- and its still took me 13hours. Urgh.

Is there anything else to do except play as Jill or increase the difficulty? Like a Chris B story?

gelf

Only in terms of environmental navigation (including having to plan your route out, which is where pretty much all of REmake's depth is) and, to a lesser extent, resource management (which only really matters on hard). The combat is so shallow and basic compared to RE4 and 5 that it's insane to say REmake is more complex all across the board.
Yeah but that's why many of us prefer Remake and the other pre RE4 games. I don't care that the combat is shallow as that's not why I play them. The balance changing in 4 was a big loss to some of us as there are way more other options if you want a game to give you good gunplay then there are those that do what Resi did in terms of level design.

My biggest bugbear in modern gaming now is how complex level design has taken a backseat to other priorities.

Yeah but that's why many of us prefer Remake and the other pre RE4 games. I don't care that the combat is shallow as that's not why I play them. The balance changing in 4 was a big loss to some of us as there are way more other options if you want a game to give you good gunplay then there are those that do what Resi did in terms of level design.

My biggest bugbear in modern gaming now is how complex level design has taken a backseat to other priorities.

I'm not knocking you for liking the old style more at all. I can get behind that. I just think it's irritating when people act as though RE4 and 5 are somehow less sophisticated than the previous games in the series.

Gradon

Look what I found in my local Grainger Games.
IMG_2179_zps4xfv8qqz.jpg

Gradon

Oh, so it's a JP import in Britain? That's still random, unless I'm getting my currency identifiers mixed up.

The Chinese version I believe, unless the Japanese version has English cover + back.
Yeah it is British, works out at $54. They had like 4-5 copies on display.

LegendX48

hunters

hunters
?

save all shotgun ammo and do not use it at all, ever, until
you return to the mansion and you should be perfect for the hunters. Chris is kinda exempt from this since he gets extra shotgun ammo because he doesn't get the grenade launcher and going up against George Trevor with a pistol is stupid.
Also
don't go all over the place, take care of the first hunter when you return, and the two by the stairway and you shouldn't have to deal with any others in the mansion unless you choose to go to certain rooms. AND acid rounds can make short work of them.
AND
when Hunter's jump for their one hit kill you can shoot them out of the air.

LegendX48

Hey guys, need some help for near end of game

I used all 3 MO disks to get to Jill's cell but do not know how to unlock it. The only thing I think left to do is to take that canister to the auto destruct maybe? But everytime I go to the door it just gives me a warning. I am so lost. I have not fought any bosses yet. All I have done is just go through B2 and B3 inserting MO disks.
You still have to do a bit more.
You need to fill up the fuel canister and return power to the elevator. After a boss fight there's a button you need to press to release an electronic lock in the same room as said boss fight. After that you can go get her.

Alright what gives.

Playing this last night windowed and I had Twitch on my 2nd screen and the game ran like shit. Ok, so I closed Twitch. I'm getting gchat messages and everytime I do it makes the game slow down.

How is the game this bad? Can you only play the game and have nothing else open??

Semajer

Is there a way to remap the buttons on the PC version when using a 360 controller? Or, is it possible to use a Gamecube controller with the same control scheme as the Gamecube and Wii releases?

Nerrel

Are they ever gonna fix the sped-up music thing? Sorta ruining the mood in a lot of places...

The soundtrack lists "Sigh of Relief" as "music box version," which implies the change was deliberate. I have no idea about the guardhouse theme.

It's entirely possible they just didn't feel like fixing the tracks and pretended they were new versions. Either way, I doubt they'll ever alter them.

After playing through Jill for the first time since GameCube, Chris's playthrough is a refreshing harder step up. The completionist in me is chanting 'git gud' too in terms of now knowing the map and puzzles so well.

Like others have said, it really does feel arcade-y multiple runs through, love this game so much.

Even the regular zombies are perfect in this.

pmx7

Neo Member
Never played the REmake before now. Only the original Director's Cut on PS1.

I must say this is a master piece. Holds up incredibly well over a decade since its original release. Took me a good 10 hours to finish Jill's story. Admittedly a large portion was trying to figure out where next to go and solving puzzles, but never one point where I got tired of it.

RE2 being one of my all time top 5 I really hope Capcom do a remake.
Any sales figures released for this yet?

ZeroCDR

Capcom reported that this was their "fastest selling" digital title across North America and Europe, which sounds good but without concrete numbers, who knows. I don't want to get my hopes up for REmake 2, but it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility anymore.

I wrapped up the Invisible Enemies playthrough last week, and I'm just one trophy away from the platinum. Ink is for Squids! I'll probably do that run next weekend in the RE3 Jill costume :D

How funny, I just did exactly that yesterday with Chris on my first time through with him. After reading up on the variability of events concerning Richard and Rebecca, I'll reiterate how much I love this game and how dearly did I miss it.

yeah, at some points I was thinking it looked better than Evil Within. Of course, the inconsistent parts of the game because it has crazy good looking moments too.

It's still one of the best looking games ever, imo. And when do you fight
George Trevor
? I've completed this game multiple times but can't remember this.....

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
What the fuck is with this game running in slow motion? It works fine for me sometimes and other times the entire game is slowed down. How can a 10 year old game be this unoptimized?

ZeroCDR

What the fuck is with this game running in slow motion? It works fine for me sometimes and other times the entire game is slowed down. How can a 10 year old game be this unoptimized?

I don't have the PC version, but this sounds like what RE4 UHD did to me. Try reducing your settings or go to 30 fps. The game slows down if it drops below 60 fps.

Mr_Zombie

The game have to run on stable 60fps or 30fps. If you set it to 60fps mode but the game, for some reason, can't maintain 60fps, it starts running in slow-mo since all animations and in-game logic are tied to frames per second.

RedAssedApe

Banned
man i hate all of the control types in this game ( so far)...am i missing something is their a recommended control type for original and alternate controls? like the mapping of the buttons all seem so weird. i want r2 to shoot. what is this ps3? :p

also...if i get snagged by a zombie am i just forced to take the damage if i don't use a defense item or is there a method to mashing. seems like even on normal i'm losing tons of life.

noob <--

-MD-

man i hate all of the control types in this game ( so far)...am i missing something is their a recommended control type for original and alternate controls? like the mapping of the buttons all seem so weird. i want r2 to shoot. what is this ps3? :p

also...if i get snagged by a zombie am i just forced to take the damage if i don't use a defense item or is there a method to mashing. seems like even on normal i'm losing tons of life.

noob <--

Original B controls are the best imo, can't recommend alternate controls at all.

You'll always take damage when grabbed but you can shake stuff off by wiggling/pressing the analog/dpad quickly.

Top Bottom