• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Parsnip

The crimson head in the coffin where you place the four death masks. Was that supposed to be George Trevor?
It's easy to to come to that conclusion, but afaik it doesn't quite work in the timeline.
As far as I remember,
even though it's never specifically stated who exactly the prototype is, George was terminated some 10 years before t-virus was discovered, let alone tested on humans. I guess in theory it would be possible that someone froze George's body for 10+ years, but there's nothing to indicate that in the files.

Daigoro

Just picked up an older game in progress with Chris on 360 and I'm at plant 42 room but I don't have the book for the puzzle to open the door. It's not in my inventory or the box and all the rooms in the residence are green. Wtf?

Haven't played Chris in a while so I'm hoping I'm just missing something...

Fantasmo

There needs to be a mod where you can switch off
Once Again, aka Forest

I know there are tricky ways to make it so you can have
all the costumes without it, easy or very easy with 1 person
, but that's baloney and totally ruins the flow.

These should be Extra modes, like virtually every game that has released before and after it.

There needs to be a mod where you can switch off
Once Again, aka Forest

I know there are tricky ways to make it so you can have
all the costumes without it, easy or very easy with 1 person
, but that's baloney and totally ruins the flow.

These should be Extra modes, like virtually every game that has released before and after it.

It is annoying, I agree. That's what eventually forced me to quit playing the GC version way back when it came out (though I'd already played it to death by then).

That said, you can just play it on Real Survivor or Invisible Enemy mode. Forest doesn't appear in either of them.

Tido84

yesterday i made a new game + speedrun and i was about to make a 1:27

but i was tired and forgot tha i shouldnt run in the lab with explosive:(

i gonna play this game over and over again anyway:)

So, I'm getting ready to start my knife only run. I'm gonna do it on Very Easy via Once Again.. mode as Chris. When the game starts I have the Infinite Rocket Launcher automatically equipped. As long as I don't fire that thing I'm good, right? Just wait until I get the Knife and equip it? When do I get the Knife in Chris's campaign again? I can't remember.

Fantasmo

It is annoying, I agree. That's what eventually forced me to quit playing the GC version way back when it came out (though I'd already played it to death by then).

That said, you can just play it on Real Survivor or Invisible Enemy mode. Forest doesn't appear in either of them.

I wish they would patch it, but nobody's really asking for it.

Still it'd be the easiest patch in the history of gaming and legitimately wouldn't ruin anything to make these Extra modes.

Which actually leads me to a question
let's say you beat normal 4 times and unlock Once Again, would playing it on Hard or Easy from that same save still force Once Again on you? Because if so, that would really suck

Parsnip

So, I'm getting ready to start my knife only run. I'm gonna do it on Very Easy via Once Again.. mode as Chris. When the game starts I have the Infinite Rocket Launcher automatically equipped. As long as I don't fire that thing I'm good, right? Just wait until I get the Knife and equip it? When do I get the Knife in Chris's campaign again? I can't remember.

Yup. Just don't fire it. Better yet, unequip it immediately. If I remember right, you have to get the sword key before you can access any of the item boxes to get the knife. It's not too bad since you wouldn't kill any of the zombies anyway.

Yup. Just don't fire it. Better yet, unequip it immediately. If I remember right, you have to get the sword key before you can access any of the item boxes to get the knife. It's not too bad since you wouldn't kill any of the zombies anyway.
Thank you, friend. That's exactly what I did! :)

Wrapping up the Residence section of the game now, back to the Mansion! :D

Gorger

Wanted to challenge myself on my last playthrough before getting the platinum so I did Chris on very easy with invisible enemies and knife only. Regret taking the easiest difficulty, by the end of the game I had like 15-20+ health items and 20-25+ ink ribbons. I thought it would be a lot harder, but you could basically just ignore 99% of the enemies and only focus on the bosses.

The most challenging part was Plant 42 as you had to wave your knife around like an idiot hoping you would hit one of the tentacles while it constantly spewed out toxic and threw you around like a ragdoll. I had to waste like 3 health sprays before it finally went down. Other than that only Crimson Head gave me any kind of challenge, as he was quick and managed to stunlock and bite me before I could get a hit back at him. Yawn and Tyrant was disappointing, we just traded blows until they fell before me.

Enjoyed the return of this game on new consoles greatly, and the message in the end from the Director was touching. What will we see next? Resident Evil 0 or was this game such a success that they'll be bold enough to make Resident Evil 2 remake? God, I hope so...

L.O.R.D

Load your "clear data" first, then start "Once Again..." game.

i did that
but i finished first with jill , now i am playing with chris
i guess i have to finish the game using the same character , because i just start playing as jill again and found the key

to unlock the RE3 costume i have to finish the game twice using the same character ?

So, somehow I haven't unlocked the Samurai Edge? I beat the game on Normal in under 3 hours and unlocked the Infinite Rocket Launcher, but I don't see the Samurai Edge in my inventory at the start of the game, nor do I see it in the item box. What gives?

And I still need Barry's gun for the Starsenal achievement. Gonna suck to not give him is gun back. :(

ArjanN

So, somehow I haven't unlocked the Samurai Edge? I beat the game on Normal in under 3 hours and unlocked the Infinite Rocket Launcher, but I don't see the Samurai Edge in my inventory at the start of the game, nor do I see it in the item box. What gives?

And I still need Barry's gun for the Starsenal achievement. Gonna suck to not give him is gun back. :(

The Samurai Edge should be in the item box.

Daigoro

just started new game with chris
but i didn't find the key of the secret room in the box

do you even need the key? i think you can access all unlocked costumes from the main menu when you start the game. of course if you want to change costume mide game you would need the key.

i unlocked Jill's RE3 outfit by just beating the game once on Normal.

ArjanN

Beating the game once as Jill unlocks the green army outfit with the stupid goggles.

That costume is supposed to be Sarah Connor (from Terminator 2) I think. That would work better if the glasses were darker though.

I post it here too my "issue".
Did a knife only run with Jill on True Survival, used the lighter on the three candles to solve the J-Volte puzzle and to grab the map on second floor of the mansion. No achievement here, but this is not the problem. I'm wondering if using the lighter can screw your play here, even if you don't use it to burn zombies.

I don't think so. Just remember that for the knife only achievement you can't use self-defense items or headstomp crawling zombies.

Parsnip

I'm almost tempted to create a dupe steam account, family share my library with it and play a jill knife run and see if I would get the achievement.

Daigoro

Here is a pretty good checklist if you're doing a speedrun.

MANSION (First Visit)
- Find Kenneth
- Return to MAIN HALL
- Get ARROW; examine for ARROWHEAD
- Use ARROWHEAD in GRAVEYARD
- Get SWORD KEY
- Get WHISTLE and LIGHTER in LIBRARY
- CHRIS ONLY: Get OLD KEY 1 from SAVE ROOM
- CHRIS ONLY: Get OLD KEY 2 in BATHROOM
- Get CHEMICAL (using OLD KEY 2 if playing as Chris)
- CHRIS ONLY: Get OLD KEY 3 in KITCHEN
- Get BROKEN SHOTGUN (using OLD KEY 3 if playing as Chris)
- Get SHOTGUN in SHOTGUN ROOM using BROKEN SHOTGUN
- Use DOG WHISTLE in TERRACE (using OLD KEY 1 if playing as Chris); get IMITATION KEY
- Get ARMOR KEY using IMITIATION KEY
- Use CHEMICAL in PLANT ROOM; get DEATH MASK 1
Get GRENADE LAUNCHER from TERRACE (ignore HERBS)
- Pass Richard to the DARK ROOM (retrieve SERUM from MEDICAL ROOM to save him if playing as Chris; optional if playing as Jill); get MUSIC NOTES
- Get CREST
- Combine MUSIC and MUSIC NOTES; replace GOLD CREST with CREST
- Get SHIELD KEY using GOLD CREST
- Get DEATH MASK 2 in SNAKE ROOM
- CHRIS ONLY: Get OLD KEY 4 from KEEPER'S BEDROOM
- Get DEATH MASK 3 in ARMORY
- Get DEATH MASK 4 in PICTURE ROOM (unlock gate to GRAVEYARD using OLD KEY 4 if playing as Chris)
- Defeat CRIMSON HEAD ELDER; get STONE AND METAL OBJECT 1

Residence
- Stop the red windvane at WEST and the blue windvane at NORTH
- Get CRANK in CABIN
- Use CRANK to get to GUARD HOUSE
- Get RED BOOK
- Get ROOM 001 KEY
- Get CONTROL ROOM KEY in ROOM 001
- Enter CONTROL ROOM in AQUA RING
- Press the buttons in the following order: DRAINAGE, SAFETY LOCK, SHUTTERS, OIL PRESSURE, SAFETY, SHUTTERS, DRAINAGE
- Defeat MOTHER NEPTUNE; get ASSAULT SHOTGUN and RESIDENCE KEY
- Enter WASP HALL using RESIDENCE KEY; get INSECTICIDE
- Use INSECTICIDE on WASP NEST; get ROOM 003 KEY
- Get WHITE BOOK; solve book spine puzzle
- Defeat PLANT 42 using FLAME ROUNDS as Jill or ASSAULT SHOTGUN as Chris (if Richard was not saved with the SERUM, time will be wasted creating the V-Jolt if playing as Chris); get HELMET KEY

Mansion (Second Visit)
- Get JEWELLERY BOX in ART GALLERY
- Get RED GEM
- Use RED GEM on JEWELLERY BOX for BROACH; examine for EMBLEM KEY
- Defeat YAWN in LIBRARY; examine BLUE BOOK for MEDAL OF EAGLE
- Get METAL OBJECT from SPENCER OFFICE
- CHRIS ONLY (Optional) : Save Rebecca by going to the LIBRARY (room where DOG WHISTLE was found)
- Get RED BOOK in STATUE ROOM; examine for MEDAL OF WOLF
- Follow path to KITCHEN; use elevator
- Get BATTERY
- Use BATTERY on broken elevator in COURTYARD <use SQUARE CRANK at the bridge to drain water>

The Catacombs
- Get HEXAGONAL CRANK from Enrico
- Skip BLACK TIGER fight
- Get CYLINDER
- Combine CYLINDER and SHAFT; use code 4231
- Use ELEVATOR
- Enter LISA CORRIDORS; send off the BOX
- Return to ELEVATOR ROOM and get BROKEN FLAMETHROWER
- Use BROKEN FLAMETHROWER to unlock door
- Get STONE OBJECT from JEWELLERY BOX; combine with METAL OBJECT to get STONE AND METAL OBJECT 2
- Get STONE AND METAL OBJECT 1 from COURTYARD; use both to enter ALTAR

ALTAR and UNDERGROUND LABORATORY
-Let Barry die to get BARRY'S MAGNUM
- Use MEDAL OF EAGLE and MEDAL OF WOLF to enter UNDERGROUND LABORATORY
- Go to COMPUTER ROOM to unlock floors; username: JOHN, password: ADA, 2-F password: CELL
- Get LABORATORY KEY in PRESENTATION ROOM <use code 8462 on the keypad>
- Get FUEL CAPSULE in POWER ROOM
- Charge FUEL CAPSULE and return it to POWER ROOM
- Enter POWER ROOM 3 and switch on the power
- Use ELEVATOR; kill TYRANT with BARRY'S MAGNUM
- Get MASTER KEY from Wesker
- Return to UNDERGROUND LABORATORY ENTRANCE and use MASTER KEY
- Get FUSE UNIT and use on ELEVATOR
- Get SIGNAL ROCKETS and use them immediately

END

just wanted to update this slightly in case anyone needs to use it. there were a few minor things missing that might help things go a little smoother. i added <use SQUARE CRANK> and <code 8462> above.

i think those were the only real hangups i had when i was following this on my first speedrun through. it was otherwise very helpful. thanks again for posting it.

finley83

Banned
just wanted to update this slightly in case anyone needs to use it. there were a few minor things missing that might help things go a little smoother. i added <use SQUARE CRANK> and <code 8462> above.

i think those were the only real hangups i had when i was following this on my first speedrun through. it was otherwise very helpful. thanks again for posting it.

Nice job, thanks! Quoting so I can find it later :)

Parsnip

Lol, try it :D

Well, I did. No issues, achievement unlocked just fine. The cutscene zombie didn't matter.

But boy I didn't realize just how much less health Jill has. I was curious and grabbed cheat engine, found the health values for both Jill and Chris. Jill is 960, while Chris is 1400.

Chris can take a beating.

The crimson head in the coffin where you place the four death masks. Was that supposed to be George Trevor?

That
crimson head was the first instance Umbrella found of the crimson head and just threw him in the coffin lol. In one of the journals it states that when the host dies, the t virus goes into a dormant state to increase the host's strength. Also, before you place the stone and wooden emblem you get from the coffin, inspect that the slot it goes into. It mentions crimson or something other. It's not any specific person, either an umbrella employee or a random test subject. Umbrella felt like the best solution would be to hang a coffin onto the ceiling that would detach after finding random masks.

I'm stuck. I mean it's been 10 years but I've done everything up to this point and I have no idea what to do.

I need the helmet key, but that comes after you get all 4 death masks right? But then you need the helmet key to get to the red gemstone to open the jewellery box which I need to get out of the mansion area right? I'm so confused.

All I have is the Wind Crest, 3 death masks and the Jewellery Box.

JackieChanConfused.jpg

Yea,
the helmet key is after the 4 masks. The helmet key is in the Residence area, guarded by the Plant 42. If you haven't even gotten all the masks yet, you need only to be concerned about the Armor key (Access to the Garden Room, Art Room, & Knight room ), Sword key(general paths), and Shield Key (Snake). The garden room is where you sprinkle the herbicide. Art room, switch the colors to match the lady's picture. The knight's/gas room, put them in the correct order. And lastly kill the giant snake for the 1st time to get the 4th one.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
HOLY HELL. How the hell did I not know about the hidden Red Hunter enemy? I've played REmake a number of times, I didn't realize there was a hidden enemy in the game, it just gave me the biggest scare. XD;; Most of you guys probably know about this, but I wasn't expecting it, let along an exclusive hidden enemy variant.

-MD-

HOLY HELL. How the hell did I not know about the hidden Red Hunter enemy? I've played REmake a number of times, I didn't realize there was a hidden enemy in the game, it just gave me the biggest scare. XD;; Most of you guys probably know about this, but I wasn't expecting it, let along an exclusive hidden enemy variant.

Saw your post in the other thread, I've never even heard of this. Pretty neat.

Parsnip

Did you solve the J-Volt puzzle too by lighting all candles?
Maybe the achievement doesn't pop in True Survival?
Yup. I got the mansion map and v-jolt room code as per usual, no issues. It's probably not a true survival related either, that would be crazy.
But I don't know, maybe you shot a rocket into air in the beginning of the game? That would probably void it, but who knows.
A mod I'm guessing.
Indeed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3lPub_f3HY

There are some problems with it but nothing too distracting.

Miguel81

Did you solve the J-Volt puzzle too by lighting all candles?
Maybe the achievement doesn't pop in True Survival?

Also, you can unlock a Samus suit? How?

When you said that you used the Rocket Launcher on Tyrant, it was just one shot, right? I'm getting curious about why your Jill knife run didn't pan out. Parsnip says using the lighter didn't affect his run so that makes this even more odd.

Dreamer RD

@Sectus

Your assistance is required. PS3 version. I wanted to transfer japanese audio and effects to US psn version, but it didn't worked. File structure of both versions is the same. But when I replaced Option files in e_rom directory, options in the game became messed up (black screen above button pictures if you choose to change language or audio).
You know how to properly add JP voice/sounds to US version?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Well, I learned something new today...

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Huh, I found a second Red Hunter, and I haven't seen this one mentioned anywhere.

If you go back to the bathroom where you unplug it and a zombie comes out, a Red Hunter will also come out of there, also the bathroom will be more destroyed than it was previously.

Personal theory is as the Sweepers appear in Code Veronica, in that game they're supposed to go over areas with danger and clean up the mess, so maybe they appear around this section of the game because their supposed to be cleaning up the problem happening at the mansion. REmake was partially made to retcon the first RE and tie it in more narratively with the RE games that came after it, so this is probably just a fun connection they decided to add that most wouldn't see, but added an extra couple of scares.

Grinchy

Banned
I did a 2nd playthrough with Jill this time. I decided to take advantage of her inventory slots by getting the Every Nook and Cranny trophy out of the way. It took me 7.5 hours. I really thought I was going faster than that. My next run is going to be so fast without grabbing every item in the game.

I also went ahead and got Barry's magnum, which, on the Easy difficulty, one-shots the final boss lol

News Bot

Banned
Personal theory is as the Sweepers appear in Code Veronica, in that game they're supposed to go over areas with danger and clean up the mess, so maybe they appear around this section of the game because their supposed to be cleaning up the problem happening at the mansion. REmake was partially made to retcon the first RE and tie it in more narratively with the RE games that came after it, so this is probably just a fun connection they decided to add that most wouldn't see, but added an extra couple of scares.

They are just "freak" Hunters. The red color has no special meaning. No connection to the Sweepers.

The Sweepers were a specifically red subspecies developed by H.C.F., not Umbrella. The red color was added intentionally to distinguish a Sweeper from the Hunter II.

finley83

Banned
Any notable differences between the last gen and current gen versions besides the resolution ?

Nothing noticeable to be honest. Character and object textures are a little bit sharper I think. Only big version difference is the PC version having 60fps and mod support (especially to fix the weird music pitch changes).

Finished my Jill playthrough today. I know that Jill is often recommended for people starting the game for the first time, but I had an easier time playing as Chris (due to his defense), especially when you return to the Mansion about halfway through. I actually died twice to the
hunters
who one-shotted me even when my heath was in the green. Overall I felt like I expended a lot more ammo on this playthrough, although I was surprised to find my playtime went from 5:30 for Chris to 4:15 for Jill.

What does everyone generally do when facing the
hunters
?

Top Bottom