• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

RedAssedApe

Banned
i tried original controls for a bit but muscle memory is resisting/uncooperative so far. its only been twenty years...come on stupid body...work!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
i tried original controls for a bit but muscle memory is resisting/uncooperative so far. its only been twenty years...come on stupid body...work!

If you want your character to move forward, you press forward/up. If you want your character to back-step, you press... back/down.

You want your character to turn left/right? You press... left/right and THEY rotate in the button direction, not the camera's direction.

BOOM. SUDDENLY TANK CONTROLS MAKE SENSE.

snakey chook

Neo Member
Has there been any word on a Resident Evil Zero Remaster? I can only assume that it is going to happen, given how popular this release has been.

hao chi

Finally bought the PS4 version since it was on sale. I've been meaning to play it since the Gamecube days but never got around to it. I'm really enjoying it so far even though Resident Evil games kind of show that I'm a crazy person because of how paranoid I am about using resources or taking hits early on in the game until I've built up a surplus. I even replayed the train section of RE0 several times until I was satisfied with how well I did, and I later felt dumb about doing that because I ended the game with a massive surplus of supplies.

Anyway, my the most recent things I've done in the game are:
got the grenade launcher, saved Richard, and got the gold plaque thing from the music room. I got the key from the clock after I saved my progress but then I died while doing a dry run of new areas as I tried to find out where I need to go next.

Also, I only have five ink ribbons and haven't found any in quite a while. Surely I'm due to find some more soon?

RedAssedApe

Banned
The shooting controls all seem janky to me as well lol. Thought type e was working but why do they make you press both l1 and r1 to switch targets? I don't hold my controller like a :/

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The shooting controls all seem janky to me as well lol. Thought type e was working but why do they make you press both l1 and r1 to switch targets? I don't hold my controller like a :/
The controls are just fine the way they are....

People are so fussy when it comes to controls these days. I've never been like that. I'm currently playing friggin Dark Forces with Mouse+Keyboard. Remapping controls? lol

Try THAT.

-MD-

You aim your gun and you automatically aim at the closest enemy to you.

It's pretty simple tbh, I don't think I've ever had the need to change my target.

Muchacho

You aim your gun and you automatically aim at the closest enemy to you.

It's pretty simple tbh, I don't think I've ever had the need to change my target.

I found it better to get a spot to stab them from with the knife rather than emptying my clip on a single zombie. Especially when they come down the stairs thats the easiest.

When it does get tricky is when you got a handgun and three zombies are approaching from different directions. Those tank turns need a turbo button.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I think I'm just playing like a filthy casual in this game and was trying to kill everything. Somehow I ran out of bullets Trying to get pistol head shots (swear it was easier when I played the og version ) and I never found the lighter so I got frustrated with ammo scarcity and am starting over now. Lol

On the bright side I can switch Jill's outfit now. Bsaa one is kind of annoying cuz it covers her face for some cutscenes.

-MD-

I found it better to get a spot to stab them from with the knife rather than emptying my clip on a single zombie. Especially when they come down the stairs thats the easiest.

When it does get tricky is when you got a handgun and three zombies are approaching from different directions. Those tank turns need a turbo button.

There's a quick 180-degree turn if you weren't aware.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I think I'm just playing like a filthy casual in this game and was trying to kill everything. Somehow I ran out of bullets Trying to get pistol head shots (swear it was easier when I played the og version ) and I never found the lighter so I got frustrated with ammo scarcity and am starting over now. Lol
Pistol headshots are completely random in RE and have always been. The only weapon you can effectively aim for the head is the shotgun (although this also doesn't always work).

RedAssedApe

Banned
Pistol headshots are completely random in RE and have always been. The only weapon you can effectively aim for the head is the shotgun (although this also doesn't always work).

Well it has been almost twenty years. I guess my memory is faulty and/or better at games as a teen. :) I thought I always had some say in making head shots more probabe by aiming shotgun withstanding. Never played gc remake. Now that I know I'll need to play smarter and find that damn lighter earlier :p

Chris's chance to score a critical headshot is higher than Jill's though.

Well it has been almost twenty years. I guess my memory is faulty and/or better at games as a teen. :) I thought I always had some say in making head shots more probabe by aiming shotgun withstanding. Never played gc remake. Now that I know I'll need to play smarter and find that damn lighter :p

In every classic RE prior to REmake this is actually true, aiming up with the shotgun was a guaranteed headshot. The difference here is that it's part of another game mechanic and not just a neat gore effect, so they made it a bit harder to pull off.

Muchacho

There's a quick 180-degree turn if you weren't aware.

Yeah I know about that thanks. Very effective but when shooting it will only work if one is right behind you. If they're spread out and approaching it becomes very tough.

But that is part of what made the first Resident Evil games so challenging and it came before the dual analog sticks. With an easier aiming or targeting system the game would have been too easy and it would probably have been broken the game as it was built around that mechanic.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Well it has been almost twenty years. I guess my memory is faulty and/or better at games as a teen. :) I thought I always had some say in making head shots more probabe by aiming shotgun withstanding. Never played gc remake. Now that I know I'll need to play smarter and find that damn lighter earlier :p
Which tells us that you are playing easy mode with Jull instead of Hard mode with Chris. ;-)

RedAssedApe

Banned
Which tells us that you are playing easy mode with Jull instead of Hard mode with Chris. ;-)

i am contemplating lowering the difficulty for my first play. i'm guessing jill is still considered "easy mode" with more inventory slots? maybe i should do it the other way around then...jill normal and chris easy lol

does difficulty affect puzzles at all?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
i am contemplating lowering the difficulty for my first play. i'm guessing jill is still considered "easy mode" with more inventory slots? maybe i should do it the other way around then...jill normal and chris easy lol
That and because she has the easier beginning (with Chris you start with knife only) and Barry helps her a LOT. IIRC the only pro for Chris is that he has more health.

does difficulty affect puzzles at all?
No, the puzzles are more or less the same. It plays a bit different though because Jill has the lockpick but Chris has to use the little keys to open some doors/lockers. That said, I think that Chris' playthrough is a lot more fun.

Mr_Zombie

i'm guessing jill is still considered "easy mode" with more inventory slots?

Capcom balanced the game so that Jill isn't as "easy mode" as she was in the PSX version of the game.

Jill:
- has more inventory slots
- has lockpick (you don't have to fetch small keys)
- gets earlier access to shotgun
- can use grenade launcher

However, Chris:
- has more health (in Jill's case three or even two zombie bites can kill you; Chris can survive much more)
- Rebecca can fully heal him few times (I don't remember, it was either 4 or 6 total)
- has lighter always with him (handy for burning zombie corpses and for few puzzles)
- one of his defense weapons are grenades - a guarantee headshot (plus it allows you to quickly and easily kill the original crimson head)
- doesn't have a grenade launcher, meaning you get more magnum and shotgun rounds

Edit: Guess I was too slow.

9Ty4cOq.png

ACUpjr1.png

That being said, this doesn't really apply for the REmake were they tried to make both characters more even. Jill is still the better choice for beginners due to her inventory alone, but Chris has quite a few perks himself.

- He has more health
- He runs faster
- Is better with guns. (Higher head shot rate and he holds the shotgun different during boss fights, allowing for a higher rate of fire.)
- Grenades are a much better defensive item than the taser
- He always carries the lighter with him
- Rebecca can heal him fully up to three times during the first mansion visit AND again later in the guardhouse. (In the original you couldn't have her heal you in both of these locations, it was either...or.

The only perk he had in the original was a bit more health. But he also had to fight quite a few more enemies than Jill did. Jill's scenario only had about 2/3 of the enemies you face in Chris's game. In REmake it's about the same.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Thanks guys!

Oh and I just found the lighter. Wtf no idea how I missed it the first time. It was gleaming and shit too. Guess I thought it was that stupid blank journal...sigh

hao chi

No, REmake is really stingy when it comes to ink ribbons. More so than for the ammo.

I actually found some more the next time I played. :p

Just fought Yawn (yeah, I know I should have ran away, but whatever) and I'm about to get the fourth mask.

This game is really great. I wouldn't be surprised if I do another playthrough right after this. Though I don't know if my second playthrough will be with Jill so I can unlock her RE3 costume or give Chris a try.

Lothar

Banned

Chris is easy mode. He has more health and is stronger. You get more head shots. Rebecca gives you free heals. It's also more frustrating due to less inventory spots but thats not challenge related, that's just a pain having to keep going back and forth. I played Chris after Jill and it was not nearly as much fun.

Story is better with Jill too because it has Barry.

I preferred Jill's story in the original (Chris's scenario was still more fun to play though.) but I think they screwed that up in REmake. The scene were you confront Barry right before the battle with Lisa, only for Jill to completly forget about it seconds later is incredibly stupid and the confrontation with Wesker feels a lot more satisfying in Chris's campaign.

I also disagree about Chris's campaign actually being easier, it might feel that way because playing as Jill first, you already knew what to expect for the most part in Chris's campaign. You get both the shotgun and the more powerful assault shotgun sooner, her lower health is downplayed by the fact that she has more inventory space for health items, you can completly bypass the plant boss and even if you do fight him, three flame rounds and he's dead. Speaking of, the grenade launcher makes things quite a bit easier as well, with acid rounds taking out hunters in 1 shot most of the time.

RedAssedApe

Banned
This game reminds me why I generally dislike games that require inventory management. Forget to grab an item from the storage box? Sorry you gotta go all the way back...sigh

Mr_Zombie

but I think they screwed that up in REmake. The scene were you confront Barry right before the battle with Lisa, only for Jill to completly forget about it seconds later is incredibly stupid

Yes, for all the shit that the original game gets for its script, the whole Barry's betrayal subplot was done a lot better there.

I also disagree about Chris's campaign actually being easier, it might feel that way because playing as Jill first, you already knew what to expect for the most part in Chris's campaign.

If you play first as Jill you have the benefit of bigger inventory and earlier access to better weapons, so it's easier to explore the mansion. But if you play as Chris first, the game punishes you less during enemies encounters - you have a much higher chance of survival if you fuck things up.

For those of us with lower end rigs, if you were having trouble like me with audio desync or slowdown, a fan made a resolution edit mod/ custom DX9 dll. Found it in the steam discussions, solved any issues I had with ze stutter.

Round three for me, Jill again maybe? Or Chris to save them all? (Missed the Rebecca cue in the mansion return, wtf game you're hard.)

hao chi

Just beat the game a little while ago. Really great game. I think I'll do a hard mode playthrough sometime soon. Though I also continued my first RE3 playthrough recently that's pretty early on, so I'll be playing that as well.

Quick question: at the bottom of the elevator in the mansion there's the hallway with two zombies, a few herbs, a door you can go through, as well as a locked door near a scroll that had a description saying something about how it's an eastern-styled scroll with western art. Is there a way to get in the locked room?

Just beat the game a little while ago. Really great game. I think I'll do a hard mode playthrough sometime soon. Though I also continued my first RE3 playthrough recently that's pretty early on, so I'll be playing that as well.

Quick question: at the bottom of the elevator in the mansion there's the hallway with two zombies, a few herbs, a door you can go through, as well as a locked door near a scroll that had a description saying something about how it's an eastern-styled scroll with western art. Is there a way to get in the locked room?

That door leads to the library where you fight the giant snake. There's no way to open it from either side, it's just there.

hao chi

Oh, god... I was reading the horror stories about the Giant Bomb quick look earlier in this thread, and I should have listened... I could only manage to watch a couple minutes before I got too annoyed by it.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Sorry to bump this thead, but I'm just about to hop into this thing for the first time.

Thing is, I'm rather torn between which version to get: PS3 or PS4. Now, I'm aware that it's not gonna look much different b/w them considering it's a remaster of a game from 2002, but are there any particular performance issues with the PS3 version?

If not, I might just get that instead.

Sorry to bump this thead, but I'm just about to hop into this thing for the first time.

Thing is, I'm rather torn between which version to get: PS3 or PS4. Now, I'm aware that it's not gonna look much different b/w them considering it's a remaster of a game from 2002, but are there any particular performance issues with the PS3 version?

PS3 version is perfectly fine but PS4 does look a bit better. Can't go wrong with any version tho.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

It's mainly a decision between 720p30 and 1080p60. If you don't care about that one difference then you can probably pick up the PS3 version.

photogaz

I only got the Residence when I played it in 1996. This time I'm now at that same stage, really enjoying it.

It's definitely taking me a long time to do!

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Did the PS4 release get a disc? I imported the one for PS3.

antitrop

It's mainly a decision between 720p30 and 1080p60. If you don't care about that one difference then you can probably pick up the PS3 version.

Not quite. Only the PC version is 60fps. XB1 and PS4 versions are both 1080p/30fps. They should have been 60fps, but it is what it is.

Coda

Not quite. Only the PC version is 60fps. XB1 and PS4 versions are both 1080p/30fps. They should have been 60fps, but it is what it is.

Yeah I remember playing it wondering why the PS4 version wasn't 60 fps. It seems like it could've easily handled it.

Ingeniero

I'm so tempted to buy this on PS4. Need some good old school survival horror and I remember having lots of fun with this game on PS1.

It's $23 on my PS plus.

I remember beating the original game in like 3-4 hours, is this version the same? What about replay value?

Thanks.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm so tempted to buy this on PS4. Need some good old school survival horror and I remember having lots of fun with this game on PS1.

It's $23 on my PS plus.

I remember beating the original game in like 3-4 hours, is this version the same? What about replay value?

Thanks.
My last playthrough took me 3 hours and 8 minutes or something like that. My first took me maybe 12 hours or something crazy.

The length definitely depends on how well you remember the game, what difficulty you play on, ect. The replayability comes from wanting to do it faster and wanting to get the different endings, I guess.

Ingeniero

My last playthrough took me 3 hours and 8 minutes or something like that. My first took me maybe 12 hours or something crazy.

The length definitely depends on how well you remember the game, what difficulty you play on, ect. The replayability comes from wanting to do it faster and wanting to get the different endings, I guess.
Thanks for answering mate. I have decided to be LTTP.
I'll buy this game later tonight. Looks very good and the reviews are great.

Any advice on how to start? Jill or Chris? What about difficulty?
I was thinking on going HAM with Chris on hard but that may be too extreme, I haven't played the game in years.

ArjanN

Thanks for answering mate. I have decided to be LTTP.
I'll buy this game later tonight. Looks very good and the reviews are great.

I was thinking on going HAM with Chris on hard but that may be too extreme, I haven't played the game in years.

Hard isn't even that challenging IMO. Even on hard
there's enough ammo to kill basically every single enemy in the game as long as you're kinda smart about it.
The character selection kinda balances out, Chris has more health, but less inventory so you have to run around more. I'd say start with Jill since more inventory slots make it less frustrating if you don't know where to go and what to pick up.

Mr_Zombie

Start with Chris if you don't mind running around some more (smaller inventory and no lock pick, but higher health bar, few free full-healings thanks to Rebecca, a lighter that you always carry with you, more damage done with beretta and better self-defense weapon - grenades). Start with Jill if you can avoid zombies (two-three bites from a zombie can kill her but she has a bigger inventory, a lock pick, grenade launcher and a quicker access to shotgun).

Unlike the original RE1 this game balances Jill and Chris better - they no longer are easy (Jill) and hard (Chris) options.

Top Bottom