• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Lol, I knew about the classic voices mod, but there's a PSX model mod as well?!

2015-11-251.jpg

eb5a8bbe76790ec040a098a838425ea5e8823009.jpg

1b0fe8065ddb85c0f0044ce92f340b1c.jpg

No, just, NO.

Cmon you know something residing deep within you wants this

Mr_Zombie

Lol, I knew about the classic voices mod, but there's a PSX model mod as well?!

Cmon you know something residing deep within you wants this

Yes. Yes!

It's amazing how those models still hold up after 20 years.
I remember mansion white coat zombies looking particularly creepy, disgusting and pretty detailed.

Confession: I always preferred RE1 zombies' look - rotten and sick looking - to RE2's ones, which were usually simply yellow and had blood all over them.

Vibranium

Banned
Yes. Yes!

It's amazing how those models still hold up after 20 years.
I remember mansion white coat zombies looking particularly creepy, disgusting and pretty detailed.

Confession: I always preferred RE1 zombies' look - rotten and sick looking - to RE2's ones, which were usually simply yellow and had blood all over them.

There's actually a reason why the zombies in the mansion are more rotten looking in RE1 though: they had been dead for around 2 months (since May 1998). In RE2 the outbreak takes place over the course of a week or less, so it makes sense that the zombies are fresher.

My favorite lore fact is how the T-Virus causes insane itching to the feet, leaving victims to remove their shoes before fully succumbing to infection.

Neiteio

I just got back from Residence, and saved at the stairwell item box room after fighting two Hunters.

I just realized that although I found the grenade launcher on a balcony at one point, it must've been a run where I didn't save, because I don't have it.

Thing is, I don't remember how to get to that balcony. Can someone refresh my memory?

I just got back from Residence, and saved at the stairwell item box room after fighting two Hunters.

I just realized that although I found the grenade launcher on a balcony at one point, it must've been a run where I didn't save, because I don't have it.

Thing is, I don't remember how to get to that balcony. Can someone refresh my memory?

From main hall, east

News Bot

Banned
There's actually a reason why the zombies in the mansion are more rotten looking in RE1 though: they had been dead for around 2 months (since May 1998). In RE2 the outbreak takes place over the course of a week or less, so it makes sense that the zombies are fresher.

My favorite lore fact is how the T-Virus causes insane itching to the feet, leaving victims to remove their shoes before fully succumbing to infection.

It's a bit more complicated than just time.

Zombies in general are still living humans, they're just decayed and no longer need their vital organs. The Progenitor Virus already causes necrosis, you can see "Progenitor Zombies" in BIO5. However, the t-Virus causes advanced necrosis due to the leech genes used to create it, as leeches are capable of surviving in the absence of oxygen by feeding on the lysate of dead cells.

Essentially, Zombies in this series literally eat themselves inside out. This was CAPCOM's solution to Day of the Dead's lack of exposition on how Zombies work aside from "look at how they don't need their organs." Being able to survive without oxygen means the heart and lungs are unnecessary, while the spinal cord, mesencephalon (motor control, vision, hearing), thalamus (smell, motor functions) and limbic system (anger, hunger) developed abnormally and remained active. The rest of the brain decayed. So the only way to truly kill a Zombie is to destroy those portions of the brain. It's also stated that, since it's believed an animal’s appetite is controlled by the hypothalamus, it’s hypothesized that even a Zombie won’t attack people if the hypothalamus is destroyed.

Originally, the advanced decomposition of BIO Zombies was due to a decrease in metabolism. However, when leech genes were introduced, they changed it so that Zombies had an increased metabolism, one of the only genuine retcons in the series.

I'm going to play this for the first time tonight. How paranoid do I have to be about fucking myself completely and not being able to finish the game?

Do I literally just run past anything and everything I can and horde like a motherfucker?

I'm excited about playing this but getting to a point and realising I can't finish it would sour the game for me.

Neiteio

I'm going to play this for the first time tonight. How paranoid do I have to be about fucking myself completely and not being able to finish the game?

Do I literally just run past anything and everything I can and horde like a motherfucker?

I'm excited about playing this but getting to a point and realising I can't finish it would sour the game for me.
Playing on the highest default difficulty, in Jill's campaign, there are about 15 ink ribbons (used to save) prior to confronting crypt boss (so about 15 ink ribbons in main mansion where you start). What I recommend is trying to get as far as you can each save. When I boot up a save, I go on a suicide run to explore, locate items, plan routes, etc. Then when I'm ready, I reset from that save point and do it for real.

Mr_Zombie

You don't have to run past everything, but keep in mind that you don't have to kill everything that moves. There are many zombies that you can easily run past or zombies in location you will only visit once. Try to focus on enemies that are in narrow corridors, especially those that you will use often (you will realize which ones are those).

Dunno if you know about the new gameplay element introduced in REmake, so read only if you know or want to get spoiled:
every zombie that dies returns back as a crimson head - more aggressive and faster zombie. So if you end up killing a zombie, remember to burn it. However, keep in mind that there's enough gasoline in the game to burn only a handful of zombies.

Save often and think of this game as a rouge-like one. Once you die, you will notice that since you know where to go and what to take, you can very quickly return to the place you had died previously in.

What I recommend is trying to get as far as you can each save. When I boot up a save, I go on a suicide run to explore, locate items, plan routes, etc. Then when I'm ready, I reset from that save point and do it for real.
Truly the best way to play! Allows you to experiment and find the best use and timing of your items.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
What I recommend is trying to get as far as you can each save. When I boot up a save, I go on a suicide run to explore, locate items, plan routes, etc. Then when I'm ready, I reset from that save point and do it for real.

I dunno, seems to me that would sap the feeling of fear from the game. The way I play is I legitimately try to get as far as I can on a single save, and then when it gets to a point where I start to feel paranoid that I'm going to die and lose a lot of progress (usually an hour or so), I'll save. Keeps the game feeling tense.

Neiteio

I dunno, seems to me that would sap the feeling of fear from the game. The way I play is I legitimately try to get as far as I can on a single save, and then when it gets to a point where I start to feel paranoid that I'm going to die and lose a lot of progress (usually an hour or so), I'll save. Keeps the game feeling tense.
I think there's still good tension doing suicide runs exploring, etc, because in order to get far enough to collect meaningful intel, you have to, well, survive. :)

I'm 3 hours in and really enjoying it.

I'm playing as Jill on easy though.

Don't hate me.

I say if you do that don't bother burning bodies. You'll at least get some more cool encounters that way.

I did that when I unlocked the infinite handgun and blasted everything away while there's still a tinge of danger.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not burning any bodies, the inventory is enough of a pain without taking up two extra slots with the fuel and lighter :p

I look forward to seeing whether or not you change your mind further into the game. :)

I just got the Lab, so I'm at the home stretch. Hoping to finish the game up this week so I can finally dive into RE0. As amazing as REmaster is, I'm really excited for RE0's fully HD backgrounds. Some of these areas just look horrendous in REmaster. The caves and the aqua ring, for example. Painful.

Finished the game in 2:20 and unlocked the rocket launcher. Lmao, does this weapon kill everything in one shot? Amazing. Started the game again on hard and I'm already at the last part of the game, lol.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Finally finished the game. Forgot about it for most of 2015, but now I can finally move onto RE0. Woot!

I could probably do another run to try for a better score but eh, not really feeling it atm. Maybe next time I get the REmaster itch.

Finished my Chris and Jill playthroughs. I thought I was playing on Normal with Chris, but apparently I was playing on easy the whole time. Going to have to replay his story again for the unlockable weapon. Made sure to play Jill on normal so I've got Samurai Edge available.

Considering trying Real Survivor but I'm a pretty terrible RE player. Don't know if I could get past the manual aim and item boxes not being connected.

This game is just as good as I remember. Every time I beat I just want to play through it again

This game is legit scary and hard. I know the original like th back of my hand but I find this remake hard. Got the first safe box on the right side of the map and have found that oil.

Bladenic

When does the Every Nook trophy pop? I picked everything as Jill and all rooms on every map are white. Now I'm wondering if I missed a map. I don't think that I did, but is there a list? The mansion maps only consist of Floor 1 and 2 right?

When does the Every Nook trophy pop? I picked everything as Jill and all rooms on every map are white. Now I'm wondering if I missed a map. I don't think that I did, but is there a list? The mansion maps only consist of Floor 1 and 2 right?
There's floor 3 where you fight yawn and the room where you get the battery

Does anyone have an alternate link for the Music Speed Fix Mod? The link in the OP isn't available (or hid behind registering?), and all google searches I found link to that page too

thx

This is my first time playing Resident Evil and I'm already stuck. I've found the floor 1 map and explored most of the unlocked doors on the left side of the mansion. I've also found the secret door to the graveyard, where I have to insert an arrowhead in order to proceed (this room has a few stone faces with holes in them). I've found the Mansion Key but can't pick it up without being killed. I also have an emblem but I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with it, as I've tried using it on every locked door with no luck.

The only hint that I have is from the grandfather clock, which mentions something about "two running each other through." There's a painting that matches this description, but I've tried interacting with it and nothing happens.

I've used all my save ribbons and I can't even figure out how to discard items (like extra ammo). I'm stuck. Help!

Plasma

Banned
You can discard items into the chests in the save room.

I don't know how explicit you want me to get on what you need to do next but you mentioned finding an indent for an arrowhead so I would suggest you search around for the arrowhead. Things you can pick up in the environment will have a sparkle effect on them so they shouldn't be hard to miss.

You can discard items into the chests in the save room.

I don't know how explicit you want me to get on what you need to do next but you mentioned finding an indent for an arrowhead so I would suggest you search around for the arrowhead. Things you can pick up in the environment will have a sparkle effect on them so they shouldn't be hard to miss.

I've found the arrowhead and opened that room, where I found the Book of Curses. I don't know what else I'm supposed to do in here.

Have you examined the book?

I'm pretty sure I did (I don't have the game open right now), and I thought the description just says something like "this is a book of curses."

Maybe I'll just look up a guide somewhere. I might have missed something, even though I've gone through each room a few times.

Plasma

Banned
I'm pretty sure I did (I don't have the game open right now), and I thought the description just says something like "this is a book of curses."

Maybe I'll just look up a guide somewhere. I might have missed something, even though I've gone through each room a few times.
If you examine the latch on the book it opens and there is a key inside.

Can someone explain to me...well how do you play this game? I can't kill the first the zombie on normal. I have done at least 12 knife swipes and it still won't fall.

Don't attack a zombie with a knife. Lol, why would you think that would work?
What do I do then? I tried using my pistol on the first one but used practically all my bullets so but I didn't have enough for the next zombie. Is it possible to aim for its head? I tried aiming up but it missed it.

Lothar

Banned
What do I do then? I tried using my pistol on the first one but used practically all my bullets so but I didn't have enough for the next zombie. Is it possible to aim for its head? I tried aiming up but it missed it.

Did the zombie lock the doors behind you? It's a zombie! Run away! :)

Aiming for the head only matters if it's a shotgun, I believe.

Maybe you went the wrong way. Maybe you should avoid that area and look elsewhere for ammo. Barry kills the first zombie for you.

Tagyhag

Can someone explain to me...well how do you play this game? I can't kill the first the zombie on normal. I have done at least 12 knife swipes and it still won't fall.

Wait what? That doesn't sound right. It shouldn't take that many swipes.

Anyways, just aim for the knee, and kick them when they're down, then just knife them while they're getting up.

Did the zombie lock the doors behind you? It's a zombie! Run away! :)

Aiming for the head only matters if it's a shotgun, I believe.

Maybe you went the wrong way. Maybe you should avoid that area and look elsewhere for ammo. Barry kills the first zombie for you.

I went through the doors opposite the way he goes and got the first dagger where I got cornered. That's the second the zombie I was referring to. I wanted to explore this place without the use of a guide so I am not really sure where to go yet lol!

Wait what? That doesn't sound right. It shouldn't take that many swipes.

Anyways, just aim for the knee, and kick them when they're down, then just knife them while they're getting up.
Yeah no joke. It was about 12 swipes. Some were in the body, some were towards the ground, and some were towards it head.

How do I kick them?

-MD-

How do I kick them?

I don't really understand Tagyhag's post because kicking them kills them, they don't stand up afterwards.

To answer you though there isn't a dedicated button for kicking, it happens automatically when a zombie on the ground grabs you. You'll take a bite in the process too.

Tagyhag

I don't really understand Tagyhag's post because kicking them kills them, they don't stand up afterwards.

To answer you though there isn't a dedicated button for kicking, it happens automatically when a zombie on the ground grabs you. You'll take a bite in the process too.

Lol my bad, I have RE4 on my mind, mixed the two.

Mr_Zombie

Basically, you want to avoid killing zombies. Just kill them only when you really need to (i.e. there's no way to run past them, you are cornered etc.). You have to learn how to maneuver around them and have to learn the mansion's layout (as the game goes, you will unlock some doors, find some shortcuts etc.). Keep in mind that a lot of rooms you will only have to visit once to grab an item or solve a puzzle; there are also corridors that you will have to run past once so there's no point in killing enemies there. IIRC rooms that are colored green on a map are rooms where you've cleared: picked up everything, used everything there was to use etc.

Later in the game you will grab better guns (shotgun, magnum and, if you're playing as Jill, grenade launcher) and more ammo. But you still want to conserve the ammo for other monsters and bosses and really don't want to kill zombies. Like really.
two words: Crimson Heads

The knife... well, if you're not going for the achievement, you can safely drop it in the very first item chest you find and leave it there, since it's basically useless (especially if you're new to the game).

Remember that this is a true survivor horror and not an action horror like RE4+, so ammo is scarce and you can die easily (3-4 bites from a zombie for Jill). Save often (but bear in mind that ink ribbons required to save are limited) and don't panic when you die - you can easily get back on track very fast when you already know where to go and what to do.

bobawesome

The last time I played the game was 12 years ago and I was killing it this run. Tons of ammo, dodging enemies, relatively few crimson heads... I thought I was doing pretty well. Until I beat the game and didn't unlock the achievement for beating the game on Normal. The entire time I was playing on Easy.

I figured the top option when starting a new game was Hard, and then Normal, and finally Easy.

Just finished on Normal immediately after on Once Again... Certainly tougher.

Final time: 3:42

Not sure how I could shave off a lot of time.

The last time I played the game was 12 years ago and I was killing it this run. Tons of ammo, dodging enemies, relatively few crimson heads... I thought I was doing pretty well. Until I beat the game and didn't unlock the achievement for beating the game on Normal. The entire time I was playing on Easy.

I figured the top option when starting a new game was Hard, and then Normal, and finally Easy.

Just finished on Normal immediately after on Once Again... Certainly tougher.

Final time: 3:42

Not sure how I could shave off a lot of time.
Wait, so what are the difficulties then?

Normal at top, then easy, then very easy?

I forgot how painful these games are to play at times. having controls switch because it's constantly switching camera angles is some of the most infuriating bad design I've experienced.

Top Bottom