• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Nemesis_ has covered most of my impressions too. I'm generally very surprised at the good quality of this conversion. I haven't reached the aqua ring yet so can't comment personally.

However, the crypt area with the coffin, the one they said they had to re-render entirely in polygons, does not look out of place. It fits right in too. So its not like they short changed the game or conversion.

Dodging the Yawn in the attic is ridiculously easy with the analog controls, as is general zombie swaying and dodging.

I wish it was possible to skip the door animations though. That's the only thing I think they should have implemented.

adamsapple

How many versions of this game exist now?

PS3 retail
PS3 digital
360 digital

All released only in Japan so far. PS3 retail has an Asian version retail too, which is just a repackaging of the Japanese version.

All versions have JP and Eng audio and subs.

Replicant

Those PS4 screenshots make me drool in anticipation. Better finish Evil Within first. Currently stuck in this nightmare-ish Akumu mode. :/

Timu

Here's some direct captures of the PS3 version. Game looks very good. Love the BSAA outfit, its higher detailed than the default model, looks that way to me at least, and doesn't feel out of place .. hell that outfit looks more what an operative would wear in a mission instead of the beret and the huge shoulder padded default one.
We need more shots of her in the BSAA outfit
since that's my fav outfit of hers!!!=p

Melchiah

There was only one moment where I had to switch back to the standard aspect ratio and that was the...

I wish this thread would be without spoilers, as there are a plenty of people who've never played REmake. Can we leave some surprises intact for them?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I wish this thread would be without spoilers, as there are a plenty of people who've never played REmake. Can we leave some surprises intact for them?

I don't know, the game is released now, has been out for years, and this is the OT for the game. I think this thread can reasonably be considered in the "Reader beware" section for spoilers.

randomwab

Cross-posting this with the other thread, my impressions so far...

I grabbed the 360 version and I've played up to right before the labs, and this whole remaster is a really mixed bag. I'll try and lay out my feelings, but this will mostly be technical stuff as the core game is largely untouched from what I've seen so far.

Firstly, the backgrounds. I don't pretend to know what process was used to upscale/upres these, but it's very inconsistent. The majority of the areas look like they've been upscaled with a filter with some slight touch ups here and there. This really works for some rooms such as the mansion dining room and main hall. Others look like the source may have been of a lower quality for whatever reason, for example, the entire basement of the guardhouse looks really bad, especially the aqua ring control room which looks honestly horrendous. I wish I had capture gear to post screens, but it's by far the worst area I've seen so far, and it really stands out against the high quality models of the character and the shark in the background. The touch ups I mentioned mainly seem to try and help hide blemishes in the upscale, so added bloom or shadows and such.

Some areas seem to have had a lot more work than others, seemingly backgrounds with more dynamic lighting or effects. An example of this is the birdcage hallway beside Kenneth which seems to have been either entirely remade or almost entirely retextured. While it certainly looks sharper than other rooms, it seems like half of the shadows and little details of the room have been lost, leaving it feeling almost sterile in comparison to the Gamecube version. Where the added or reworked stuff works the best is in outdoor areas, where a lot of foliage has been added around the scenes. Again, I have a feeling this is to hide some of the worse looking areas in the upres but it really fits with these areas. The path from the mansion to Lisa's cabin in particular looks incredible now, with the weird depth of field effect beyond the path looking much nicer and giving a much clearer image of that background.

The other big thing with the backgrounds is their choice to pan up and down the backgrounds so they can make them widescreen. For the first few areas, this seemed like a nice choice, but the more I've played, the less I like it. Let me just say that I think it's a nice idea and with some more work, it could have been really great, but it's how they've implemented it that really bothers me. Essentially, as you move through a screen, the camera will pan up or down depending on what it needs to show. However, this seems to be tied to both player movement and animations, so you will have moments where the camera keeps panning up and down as you're jumping up and down from boxes or picking up items, or running back and forth in a scene to solve a puzzle. That might not sound like a big deal, but it looks needlessly silly at several points. At other times, they will needlessly pan in a room where it isn't needed, which causes the framing of the scene to look terrible, with an item flashing off screen or showing more of the character's body than their head and such. I think the better option would have been for them to look at each scene individually and decide which needed to pan and if it was unnecessary, lock it to a frame that conveys the background best. As for the pan itself, it would have been much better to have it trigger in a required background of the player hit an area in the environment so it would pan automatically (which I believe Zero did in several scenes) so that the scene wouldn't keep slightly moving up and down constantly.

The character and enemy skins are another weirdly inconsistent area, with Chris, Jill and Rebecca (of the characters I've seen so far) having a nice upgrade while Richard doesn't look great. Richard's injured arm in particular looks really bad now, just a muddy texture that, when the game decides to zoom in on it, you wonder why they didn't put any effort into upgrading this. The same goes for several zombie skins; I noticed one looked really bad when it jumps out of the bath in the mansion, the skin just looks low res now, which is strange when some of the zombie skins (such as the first zombie) have been updated. I know this one is a more unrealistic wish for the upgrade, but it does noticeably stand out at times.

The only other issue I've noticed is that, on two occasions, the wrong instrument was used for background music. The two occasions have been when Chris and Rebecca take Richard to the sick room and "Sigh of Relief" plays, and the other is the main guardhouse music "Ivies' Domain", both of the main tracks are using the wrong instrument which, I guess, is just an odd bug but really stands out. I've noticed in other places that the mixing of the music's instruments are really odd, so when Neptune attacks, for example, the frantic part of that track is mixed more evenly with the other tracks and doesn't sound as good as the original. This has happened with a couple of tracks, but that was the most noticeable one for me so far.

The only other thing I haven't talked about are the controls. One really great addition is that they've introduced tactical reloading, where you can reload while aiming by pressing the run button. I loved this in Resident Evil Deadly Silence and I love that they brought it across for this. As for the new style controls, I hate them but I understand that I'm biased, being an old style Resident Evil fan and I've hated this control type since Devil May Cry. Tank controls always worked for prerendered games because they did away with the need for situational awareness so to speak; if you push forward, you will walk forward, if you push left, you will turn left, if you push back, you will back up. The new controls work for one screen, but then in the next screen if you take your thumb off and that direction and hit it again, you could be going in the opposite direction, meaning you always have to be concious of the angle and the character. It just feels like a needless hassle when tank controls work perfectly for this type of game and it makes the animations look terrible. But again, I understand that that's probably just me.

But yeah, that's my impressions so far. At the end of the day, it's REmake on more systems, and in my eyes it's probably the greatest pure survival horror game that was ever released. But it's such a mixed bag technically that I just don't know what to think of it overall.

Melchiah

I don't know, the game is released now, has been out for years, and this is the OT for the game. I think this thread can reasonably be considered in the "Reader beware" section for spoilers.

I kinda knew a comment like this was coming. It's not any different from the Mass Effect thread, when it was released on the PS3 five years later. There's a plenty of people , who never owned a GC or fiddled with Dolphin on their PC, so I don't see why the OT shouldn't be treated like they usually are; sans spoilers. After all, it's not necessary to divulge all the details about the scenarios when the versions are being compared.

adamsapple

Cross-posting this with the other thread, my impressions so far...

Excellent analytic breakdown.

I'm just outside Lisa's cabin, haven't reached the guardhouse. Will try to take pictures of the Aqua Ring when I reach it because it sounds like a mess according to multiple impressions.

randomwab

I kinda knew a comment like this was coming. It's not any different from the Mass Effect thread, when it was released on the PS3 five years later. There's a plenty of people , who never owned a GC or fiddled with Dolphin on their PC, so I don't see why the OT shouldn't be treated like they usually are; sans spoilers. After all, it's not necessary to divulge all the details about the scenarios when the versions are being compared.

I'm not disagreeing, but Mass Effect was five years old when it his PS3, REmake came out 12 years ago, and the story itself is 18 years old at this point having been available on a lot of different systems. Not sure it's the same kind of thing.

Melchiah

I'm not disagreeing, but Mass Effect was five years old when it his PS3, REmake came out 12 years ago, and the story itself is 18 years old at this point having been available on a lot of different systems. Not sure it's the same kind of thing.

Even still, probably less people on this forum have played the game, based on GC sales, than had played ME. The story is the same as in the original RE, but there are some scenarios with Lisa for example, that I personally wouldn't want to know beforehand.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

My biggest emphasis isn't so much on the age of the game as much as what there is to spoil.

I think in the context of the game, the age, the thread, and what that user had specifically said, it wasn't much of a spoiler that a person shouldn't expect in this thread. It's a gameplay moment that isn't really story critical.

Melchiah

My biggest emphasis isn't so much on the age of the game as much as what there is to spoil.

I think in the context of the game, the age, the thread, and what that user had specifically said, it wasn't much of a spoiler that a person shouldn't expect in this thread. It's a gameplay moment that isn't really story critical.

My point was, that the differences with the original RE are something I'd rather not know before I play the game myself. Part of the atmosphere in horror comes from not knowing what lies ahead, and being surprised by an encounter you don't expect.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
My point was, that the differences with the original RE are something I'd rather not know before I play the game myself. Part of the atmosphere in horror comes from not knowing what lies ahead, and being surprised by an encounter you don't expect.

If it helps, knowing something might happen isn't the same as knowing when it will happen and it will definitely still be surprising. ~Expect the unexpected~!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Seriously LOL? they cant push 60 fps for a GameCube game? And I thought it was getting a retail copy in Japan for xbone/ps4?

The games backgrounds are either static images, or video files. The original video files that they have to work with for backgrounds are 30fps.

They possibly could have made the game render the characters at 60fps and the backgrounds at 30fps, but that could potentially have been jarring and it isn't what they did.

It's probably not that they COULDN'T get the game to run at 60, it's that they chose not to too avoid the issue of 30fps backgrounds and 60fps characters.

adamsapple

Seriously LOL? they cant push 60 fps for a GameCube game? And I thought it was getting a retail copy in Japan for xbone/ps4?

The games backgrounds are either static images, or video files. The original video files that they have to work with for backgrounds are 30fps.

They possibly could have made the game render the characters at 60fps and the backgrounds at 30fps, but that could potentially have been jarring and it isn't what they did.

It's probably not that they COULDN'T get the game to run at 60, it's that they chose not to too avoid the issue of 30fps backgrounds and 60fps characters.

^ this. The game has a lot of animated elements in the backgrounds, making the refresh rate higher would make them run quicker.

Didn't they changed all of the moving elements into realtime polygonal objects?

AkuMifune

Banned
Why not include the pause button? I guess the menu pauses now, I hope..but I always appreciated the option to separately pause.

Otherwise liking this heretical widescreen option. Still prefer original controls though.

adamsapple

Why not include the pause button? I guess the menu pauses now, I hope..but I always appreciated the option to separately pause.

Otherwise liking this heretical widescreen option. Still prefer original controls though.

You press start (or the XMB key) and the game pauses to an options menu (different from inventory).

The only time you can't pause is during cut-scenes.

WTF IT'S OUT!

*jumps out bath*

Edit: japan.. fucks sake, i was tingling with excitement then.

*gets back in bath*

Does he japanese version include english subs or voice? Cause i will buy a scratch card off ebay now if so. I can live with subs only as i love the japanese language, and i bet our voices actors are shit.

adamsapple

WTF IT'S OUT!

*jumps out bath*

Edit: japan.. fucks sake, i was tingling with excitement then.

*gets back in bath*

Does he japanese version include english subs or voice? Cause i will buy a scratch card off ebay now if so. I can live with subs only as i love the japanese language, and i bet our voices actors are shit.

Yes and Yes.

JP version has English and Japanese voices, and multiple (european) subtitles too. The only thing that isn't in English is the Weskers Report in the gallery.

WTF IT'S OUT!
I can live with subs only as i love the japanese language, and i bet our voices actors are shit.

The english voice acting isn't great, as usual with the RE series, but it IS the original VO, the japanese dub is completely new and was only made for this HD port, the original Gamecube version (And most titles in the series.) have been english VO only.

Ok.. so why have we not got it lol

The PS4/XBone and PC versions are probably not finished yet, and I guess they don't want to release the PS3/360 versions over here yet, so they won't eat up sales that would go to those versions instead. In Japan the PS4/etc. versions don't really matter that much either way.

Sectus

remake-part11-gif-hal0wcrc.gif

AkuMifune

Banned
You press start (or the XMB key) and the game pauses to an options menu (different from inventory).

The only time you can't pause is during cut-scenes.
I know, but select used to pause without the options menu. For speedruns it felt cleaner. Weird it would be removed, but a minor complaint.

OriginalTypeEControls4Lyfe.

I left a bunch of zombies unburned on purpose for fun. It's not so fun after all.

adamsapple

Sure, go ahead :)

Finished the game. I sort of see where all the Aqua Ring complaints are coming from, the main ring area has been lit up very bright, it has a greenish tint and looks very off putting, like an over exposed picture, at times.

The control room area, etc looks fine though. It's just the main ring that looks really bad. Same near some of the Lisa caverns, some areas look very shitty 'sharpened' pictures, but some areas look REALLY good.

The courtyard/forest path towards lisa's cabin, looked fan-fucking-tastic.

Generally, areas that were already lit-moodily or had more 'natural' lighting (eg moonlit, maps, fires), looked really good. Areas where there's bright lights (bulbs etc) look over exposed.

Darknight

Never played the game but can someone do a comparison between the old caves vs the new one thats rendered in 3d? Wonder what it looks like.

Another next gen comparison:

Xbox 360: http://abload.de/img/remaster-part11024172lcuwu.png (I didn't remember to set capture card to limited range, so this looks more washed out that it should)
PS4: http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/47/1416328612-re-nextgen-nov18-17.jpg

Looks like character textures are higher resolution on PS4. I'm surprised they are as low as they are on 360/PS3. Current texture resolution matches Gamecube release.

Chris sure looks ugly on next gen ;)

luca_29_bg

water is much better in gamecube version....it's a nice way to scrape the bottom of the barrel capcom, just this. Missed opportunity, with ps4 version the game could use real time enviroments....just imagine.....O___O

L.O.R.D

Xbox 360: http://abload.de/img/remaster-part11024172lcuwu.png (I didn't remember to set capture card to limited range, so this looks more washed out that it should)
PS4: http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/47/1416328612-re-nextgen-nov18-17.jpg

Looks like character textures are higher resolution on PS4. I'm surprised they are as low as they are on 360/PS3. Current texture resolution matches Gamecube release.

wait wait
is this some kind of sick joke ?
the 360 get the New chris
and PS4 get the old ?

adamsapple

Man .. open these two images in consecutive tabs

go back and forth real quick.

the difference in Chris's look/physique is the biggest thing here lol, also that how freaking stupid Chris's default model with those shitty hair looks compared to the awesome RE5/BSAA model.

Why did they have to re-do the crypt area in real-time? Did they lose the original assets?

They did it because the lighting was quite dynamic. So they decided to redo the entire area since they probably couldn't get it to look good using other methods.

And I think the old Chris looks way better than the RE5 Chris.

Vizzeh

Banned
will be PS4 for me or i "might" consider it on the PC, due to its age perhaps something like DSR 4k may come in useful.

Top Bottom