• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

M. Night Shyamalan announces sequel to Unbreakable on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghekkus

January release date huh? You know what that means...

qfOzGbm.gif

Please be good

Dabanton

So Shyamalan basically pulled a "Bruce Willis is dead" moment for any folks who haven't seen Split yet like myself.

I suppose this is kind of a "screw you" to folks who didn't watch his movie in theaters. LOL.

It's not really a screw you lol. How do you announce a sequel to a film that follows on from your last one without mentioning the end of it?

Drahcir

Kind of a bummer the Split ending is no longer a spoiler for those who didn't know because I just watched it last weekend with zero knowledge of its connection to Unbreakable and I just about flipped out of my chair at the reveal. One of the best reactionary moments I've ever had watching a film ending. And now this great news!

Elandyll

Banned
how is he meta-human ? i dont think he had any power, but I havent watched the movie since it came out.
According to his own definition he was on the opposite scale to Willis -physically-, but that in-universe, by his own defined rules it would give him other advantages (to justify his lifelong pain) and help define himself to give his life meaning.
I mean meta human not so much in terms of super powers but more "out of the ordinary" (for Glass in terms of cunning and intelligence, think Luthor if you will), and it is clearly implied in Split that he became a vilain of a different "stature" than just causing a train/ bus accident here and there.

But we'll see. The Train reference in Split is also interesting in that regard.

Mrs. Price: This is one of Johann Davis's earliest drawings. See the villain's eyes? They're larger than the other characters'. They — insinuate a slightly skewed perspective on how they see the world. Just off normal.

David Dunn: Doesn't look scary.

Mrs. Price: Mm-hmm. That's what I said to my son. But he says there's always two kinds; there's the soldier villain — who fights the hero with his hands; and then there's the real threat — the brilliant and evil archenemy — who fights the hero with his mind.

Kaladin

Thats not a power its a condition lol

I mean, he represented an extreme of human condition, frailty. The whole plot of Unbreakable was him trying to find someone who was the opposite. I guess it's plausible that after the events of the movie what he was trying to do and why got out and he became infamous.

lovelyperson

Neo Member
I never thought I'd be this excited for a Shyamalan movie in 2017. I still need to see Split though.

Kind of a bummer the Split ending is no longer a spoiler for those who didn't know because I just watched it last weekend with zero knowledge of its connection to Unbreakable and I just about flipped out of my chair at the reveal. One of the best reactionary moments I've ever had watching a film ending. And now this great news!

Also I'm really sad that got spoiled all around the internet; would've been super cool to see that unexpectedly.

Solo

Split is my favorite film of 2017 thus far. Hoping Night sticks this and we end up with an amazing, unconventional trilogy.

My fiancé spoiled Spilt every chance she got. I'd be like "you guys should see Split" and she'd butt in with a "I don't think they've seen Unbreakable" or "has he seen Unbreakable?" SMH. Literally every time I'd tried to recommend it to someone I know would appreciate the twist.

HotHamBoy

So I guess that's officially the end of the best reason to see Split.

My fiancé spoiled Spilt every chance she got. I'd be like "you guys should see Split" and she'd butt in with a "I don't think they've seen Unbreakable" or "has he seen Unbreakable?" SMH. Literally every time I'd tried to recommend it to someone I know would appreciate the twist.

Break it off. ASAP.

Pachimari

Unbreakable.

But this guy seems to have had an incredible reaction to Split not knowing it's connection:

So I thought maybe Unbreakable had something twisty in connection to Split.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Sucks that some people here got spoiled pretty hard. Watching Split with no idea what the hell It was going in, was awesome!

farisr

It's not really a screw you lol. How do you announce a sequel to a film that follows on from your last one without mentioning the end of it?
Could've just said it was a sequel to Unbreakable and left the "is this going to crossover with Split" speculation up to folks who actually watched it and know of the connection. The movie hasn't even been out on dvd/bluray for a month yet. But what's done is done.

- J - D -

Bruce Willis not giving a shit nowadays is actually beneficial to what M.Night wants from his actors.

Seriously though, I'm really happy this is happening.

zulux21

how in the hell do we have a thread with surprising good m. night shymalan news and no one responded with

OOH WHAT A TWIST

or posted

what is wrong with gaf today >.<

anyways, i'm looking forward to this but I guess I have to go what split

Solo

I think ill have to throw the Bluray of Split in tonight to celebrate. Got it when it came out last week but haven't had time to watch it yet, and I've been itching to rewatch it.

I bet you like tucker and dale vs evil

Yeah. Totally random attack on a fun movie here.

Aaaaanyway. I loved Split and haven't seen Unbreakable. This news makes me happy all the same. I'd been begging for someone to end a movie the way Split ended for ages. Didn't need to have seen Unbreakable to get 'it'.

Minor Gravity spoiler below:

Imagine if when Sandra Bullock climbed out of the lake after splashing back down to Earth, if an Ape had rode up on a horse carrying a machine gun. It would have been the *best*.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Lol no.

It's a great movie. One of my favorites.

Its a silly movie about a guy in a wheelchair blowing up stuff on the off-chance that someone inside is invulnerable. And the invulnerable guy somehow never knew about his strength and crime-sense until he was middle-aged. And its not fun or anything; its deadly serious despite how ridiculous it is.

Drahcir

But this guy seems to have had an incredible reaction to Split not knowing it's connection:

So I thought maybe Unbreakable had something twisty in connection to Split.

Well you would have to see Unbreakable first and also not know Spilt had anything to do with Unbreakable. So when you see the ending to Split you'll know and it's fucking awesome. :) I just thought Split was another M. Night thriller and nothing more.

Its a silly movie about a guy in a wheelchair blowing up stuff on the off-chance that someone inside is invulnerable. And the invulnerable guy somehow never knew about his strength and crime-sense until he was middle-aged. And its not fun or anything; its deadly serious despite how ridiculous it is.
I hate fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom