• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale |OT| 100 Players on Epic Battlegrounds

What are the damage multipliers? Are they the same for every gun? I just assumed it was 2x for a headshot, but it seems not.

2.5x for most guns (snipers, scoped AR, M16 AR, and SMGs). This is way too high for a game where you can't accurately and consistently pull off headshots. It's way too punishing for RNG hitscan gunplay.

Seems to be just 2x for the Scar (purple and gold) ARs. Still too high....

Not sure on the other guns.

It's about 4.5x

It's really stupid

Uhh..... no?

I know I asked the question, but no way is it 4.5x...? A sniper rifle doesn't do 450 plus damage. Any AR would be two to the head.

Lol. If it were 4.5x, any AR would 1-shot to the head :p

Gator86

Now that games start once everyone has loaded, I don't think the loading area needs improvement.

They could add a tutorial/practice shooting area though.

Would be great if they added a practice area with bots and infinite resources guns to practice shooting/building. Especially so if they do put out a more skill-based shooting system. A lot of people I know aren't comfortable building during games, especially under pressure.

I had a few really strong Solo rounds playing on PS4 Saturday but couldn't get past the top 3 in any of them. Last night I finally got my first Solo Victory Royale.

The game is such a rush for me. I don't have a gaming PC so I haven't been able to experience this genre yet, but some friends and I have really sunk our teeth into Fortnite on PS4 now. On some level, I totally understand why there's so much hysteria around PUBG this year and I can't wait to try that out as well when it comes to consoles.

With regards some of the game's balancing issues, I can definitely see why people have complaints about some of the weapons, but I'll say that I rarely die and think that I played the situation perfectly and should've come out alive. I don't feel like any of the balancing issues have been a huge issue for me so far, although I'm starting to feel quite a bit more confident in my abilities in the game so that may change I suppose.

I'll gladly be putting more hours into the game though. I'm somewhere around 15-20 hours played so far between Solos/Duos/Squads and almost every day at least one close friend of mine is online playing it. With Destiny 2's crucible being a bit underwhelming, this has been taking a lot of our attention away.

Would be great if they added a practice area with bots and infinite resources guns to practice shooting/building. Especially so if they do put out a more skill-based shooting system. A lot of people I know aren't comfortable building during games, especially under pressure.

You can technically practice both in the pre-match area. You just have to get the gun and run over the target area (far side of the air strip) or get supplies and start building. This is even less likely with the new 10-second loading once the room is full.

But for practicing building in particular.. I'm pretty sure they'll hold off on that until the whole game is F2P because you can practice that stuff in the PvE campaign that they'd like people to be Founders for.

*Splinter

2.5x for most guns (snipers, scoped AR, M16 AR, and SMGs). This is way too high for a game where you can't accurately and consistently pull off headshots. It's way too punishing for RNG hitscan gunplay.

Seems to be just 2x for the Scar (purple and gold) ARs. Still too high....

Not sure on the other guns.

Uhh..... no?

Lol. If it were 4.5x, any AR would 1-shot to the head :p

I know I asked the question, but no way is it 4.5x...? A sniper rifle doesn't do 450 plus damage. Any AR would be two to the head.
My bad, I meant 2.5, misremembered

tree_fix.jpg

Can't wait for this fix.

In PVE if I play in city areas, which is filled with clutter from tall buildings, cars, and stuff... I get 40-60 fps.

But then if I go to a forest area I drop to 10-15 fps.

In BR it's sort of the same thing except there are trees everywhere so nowhere runs really well. But if I go to the wailing woods, my fps drops to again 10-15 fps. Some landing zones are fine. I run relatively well. But then there is a few trees and I'm screwed.

Hopefully this fix comes this week.

Hoodbury

I had a few really strong Solo rounds playing on PS4 Saturday but couldn't get past the top 3 in any of them. Last night I finally got my first Solo Victory Royale.

The game is such a rush for me. I don't have a gaming PC so I haven't been able to experience this genre yet, but some friends and I have really sunk our teeth into Fortnite on PS4 now. On some level, I totally understand why there's so much hysteria around PUBG this year and I can't wait to try that out as well when it comes to consoles.

With regards some of the game's balancing issues, I can definitely see why people have complaints about some of the weapons, but I'll say that I rarely die and think that I played the situation perfectly and should've come out alive. I don't feel like any of the balancing issues have been a huge issue for me so far, although I'm starting to feel quite a bit more confident in my abilities in the game so that may change I suppose.

I'll gladly be putting more hours into the game though. I'm somewhere around 15-20 hours played so far between Solos/Duos/Squads and almost every day at least one close friend of mine is online playing it. With Destiny 2's crucible being a bit underwhelming, this has been taking a lot of our attention away.

That first solo win is so exciting; really gets the heart pounding. First group win with friends is such a celebratory moment, loud cheers from everyone. First duo win is holy $h!7 that was tense.

Heh, love the game still and similar to you it's pulled me off of Destiny 2 quite a bit. Still like that game too, but this game is such a thrill ride.

Gator86

You can technically practice both in the pre-match area. You just have to get the gun and run over the target area (far side of the air strip) or get supplies and start building. This is even less likely with the new 10-second loading once the room is full.

But for practicing building in particular.. I'm pretty sure they'll hold off on that until the whole game is F2P because you can practice that stuff in the PvE campaign that they'd like people to be Founders for.

Yeah, the pregame thing is really weird and poorly designed. Why isn't there just a massive rack of guns with infinite so everyone can try everything? And same with building supplies being limited.

But yeah, the new short timer makes all that moot anyway. It's not even worth picking up the controller for it.

You guys wanna know why bush stealth is so effective?? Because people can't resist good loot. You take out a few people as they walk by a bush, take the ammo and leave the pretty stuff nearby. They just draw to it like shark to Chum. And this literally just happened and was helpful in getting me another Royale with Cheese. That and simple fort building in the last circles.

The pregame needs to let you destroy things at will and craft whatever you want. I would love some quiet time to work on building designs, actually.

But yeah, I just afk during the pregame just like I do in PUBG. I love the reduced timer in Fortnite though.

You guys wanna know why bush stealth is so effective?? Because people can't resist good loot. You take out a few people as they walk by a bush, take the ammo and leave the pretty stuff nearby. They just draw to it like shark to Chum. And this literally just happened and was helpful in getting me another Royale with Cheese. That and simple fort building in the last circles.
Bush chum is amazing and I can’t wait to try it lol.

So as someone who's falling in love with Battle Royale, is the base game worth checking out? And are there any incentives of doing so? Even minor ones?

Oooh. This snipe felt good.

3 wins tonight =) My last one was just mean. Justice Rains from Above!

EDIT: I've had a lot of fun with this game, but I think I've hit my limit of games where I open 7 chests in a row with no shield. Those are just far too important, especially when going up against guys with full health and full shields.

So I think I'll just take a break and see what happens down the road with regards to shields and the RNG hitscan gunplay.

Tonight I was forth and fell off a cliff under no pressure from anyone else! :D Then I got double teamed, which I reported and then tried to capture, but had finally run out of space. Captured that cliff dive though. That just isn't right!

Just won our first game last night in duos. We've been getting shafted on weapon pickups but won a few engagements and really stocked up. Got the final kill with a submachine gun. That thing is really good at close range. The guy could only get one shot with the shotgun before I cut through his shields and his health.

Also is Tomato Town always a clusterfuck? It's gotten a rep with my friends as "Nobody comes back from Tomato town." We killed like 4 other teams there in one match and they were still fighting when we relocated to another area.

Just won our first game last night in duos. We've been getting shafted on weapon pickups but won a few engagements and really stocked up. Got the final kill with a submachine gun. That thing is really good at close range. The guy could only get one shot with the shotgun before I cut through his shields and his health.

Also is Tomato Town always a clusterfuck? It's gotten a rep with my friends as "Nobody comes back from Tomato town." We killed like 4 other teams there in one match and they were still fighting when we relocated to another area.

All the towns and most of the named areas are usually hot drop spots unless they're really far from the path of the bus.

Hoodbury

Tomato town use to be our go to for group games before it was named. We usually were able to defend ourselves there and create a nice fort in it but nothing too memorable as the circle always moved away from it when we got something good going, heh.

Salty Springs might be my favourite place on the map. Such a good place for loot and more broken up than Pleasant Park. More central as well. Becoming my go-to spot at the moment.

The ๖ۜBronx;252262961 said:
Salty Springs might be my favourite place on the map. Such a good place for loot and more broken up than Pleasant Park. More central as well. Becoming my go-to spot at the moment.
Hmmm might need to check that out.

Nice looking patch. Thrilled that you can now alternate teammates while spectating and the boost to medium ammo drops is very welcome.

It's awesome how attentive they've been to the Battle Royale community despite it being a zero revenue product so far. It seems like Epic really wants to get this game to a stable place before adding in micro transactions and it's hard not to respect them for that.

Can't wait to start getting character customization options though!

Mikey Jr.

Nice looking patch. Thrilled that you can now alternate teammates while spectating and the boost to medium ammo drops is very welcome.

It's awesome how attentive they've been to the Battle Royale community despite it being a zero revenue product so far. It seems like Epic really wants to get this game to a stable place before adding in micro transactions and it's hard not to respect them for that.

Can't wait to start getting character customization options though!

Was just about to comment on spectating and ammo.

Both good changes. Medium bullets are the most valuable bullets because it's what is used so much.

Also thank you for spec switching!!
I'd still prefer "return to lobby" to have some warm up timer when pressing it. Hitting it accidentally and having to wait in the lobby really really sucks.

Or even better, let me spectate the game from the lobby. Sometimes I join my game mid match, it'd be nice to have the capability to see their play.

Negaduck

This game is dope. I'm glad it's free and I much prefer the art style to pubG.

Landing on a house and mining down is Hella fun.

eloxx

I finally got a win! In my 148th match, lol. 4 official kills but I made a fifth guy fall to his death.

Enjoy the umbrella! ;) I also got my first solo win on saturday. It was a real rush of blood. Love the game. I have not felt such a rush since playing the first Dark Souls.

Cat Party

Enjoy the umbrella! ;) I also got my first solo win on saturday. It was a real rush of blood. Love the game. I have not felt such a rush since playing the first Dark Souls.
Exactly what I felt when I got the final kill, lol. Cuphead is the only other game to give me that Dark Souls rush.

Fuck I had an amazing round start last night, stood up on top of a support beam in the Flush Factory main building, and shotgunned 4 people in a row without taking any fire before picking my friend up.

We made it to the last 3 squads, and then I panicked trying to close range 1v1 a guy and fought him with my sniper instead of shotgun for some reason and ate dirt pretty fast. -_-

Nabbed a solid duo win, up to 5 duo wins. Feelsgood, especially considering the fps issues I have atm. Was playing pretty well today tbh. I feel like playing paladins ups my aim in this game, gets my aim much better. It's good practice to get that reflex aiming spot on again.

Rocket reduction is great news

For sure. I have had too many games where people can just endlessly spam RPGs at you. The slower shots don't matter cause it's not like you can actually counter RPG spam even at a slower pace when they're behind metal walls too.

Nabbed a solid duo win, up to 5 duo wins. Feelsgood, especially considering the fps issues I have atm. Was playing pretty well today tbh. I feel like playing paladins ups my aim in this game, gets my aim much better. It's good practice to get that reflex aiming spot on again.

For sure. I have had too many games where people can just endlessly spam RPGs at you. The slower shots don't matter cause it's not like you can actually counter RPG spam even at a slower pace when they're behind metal walls too.

The end game hoarding is too ridiculous

Which is why im not a fan of the Medium ammo buff because you already get ridiculous amounts. I guess it just helps in the early game

With less rocket spam, the end game should be more interesting. I prefer the rockets to be more anti-fort than anti-player

Anywho, This is good patching. Seems we are getting something every week, but the gunplay is still a critical thing to focus on

And i really do hope they reevaluate shield potions as they have too strong an impact on the fights.

Gator86

The end game hoarding is too ridiculous

Which is why im not a fan of the Medium ammo buff because you already get ridiculous amounts. I guess it just helps in the early game

With less rocket spam, the end game should be more interesting. I prefer the rockets to be more anti-fort than anti-player

Anywho, This is good patching. Seems we are getting something every week, but the gunplay is still a critical thing to focus on

And i really do hope they reevaluate shield potions as they have too strong an impact on the fights.

Agreed. Shields, the RNG aiming, and general game responsiveness are definitely the biggest issues moving forward.

DId they stealth nerf the scoped AR? It wasn't hitting shit in my last game.

Agreed. Shields, the RNG aiming, and general game responsiveness are definitely the biggest issues moving forward.

Yup. Having a 2.5x headshot multiplier for what amounts to MOSTLY lucky headshots is absolutely ridiculous. Case in point. I felt bad for that guy.

sp3ctr3

I've played just short of 9 hours total and got my 2nd win tonight
DMXkdUiX0AAQwv-.jpg

Pretty fun game that ended in Loot Lake.

I jumped late and headed for the truck stop. picked up a pistol and then an AR from a chest on the flatbed. Saw a guy soar above me on his glider, heading east to a demolished house. He must've deployed early taking that long to get down here. Easy kill.

Headed esat to the stacked trucks and witnessed a shootout. When the winner emerged I picked him off and scored all the loot lol

Headed further east and saw 2 dudes battling it out with pickaxes? It's about 4 minutes into the game and these two clowns don't have guns? Kill 'em both from a distance and they had a health potion, bandages and a scoped AR.

Had to run run run away from the wall. Barely made it without taking damage. Crouch ahead when I suddenly hear a LOUD gunshot. "WOW! That as close I thought" and low and behold that a huge sniper riffle sticking out of that bush :D I now had a purple sniper riffle.

I was just SW of Loot Lake and heard a guy hacking away in the factory looking building. Waiting for him to come out and killed him. I saw a guy had built a fort on the other side of the lake and another guy was running to my left far away. 4 people left.

Circle shrinks and I'm forced into the water hugging the wooden bridge. A guy is building his own bridge and he's real easy to pick off with the sniper. 3 left.

Fort guy made a bridge all the way to the center island and the other guy to my left is buildng a wooden fort. Don't know what he's doing but he's standing completely still? Aim the sniper and *click* out of ammo? I only had 1 round aaaaaaaaaaaaargh

Ok, circle is shrinking and I crouch towards the island with no cover at all. Only a third of the island, the SW part, is in the circle. I hide under a small overhang and I can hear the fort guy taking out the guy I tried to snipe.

I thought he was above me? I could hear footsteps so I sneak around to the cave and THERE HE IS? Right behind the crate. I open fire with the AR and must've caught him by surprise as he didn't shoot back even once lol

7 kills in 1 game is the most I've ever had. Normally it's only about 2.

38 solo games and 2 wins. I really like this game.

Shields are fine where they are imo

I really don't like where shields are to be honest. Most of that has to do with how punishing the RNG gunplay is, especially with regards to headshots. I don't like how vulnerable you feel without them due to the 1-shot bolt snipers to the body.

Shield drops need to be more consistent. If you just don't find any, you're at a MASSIVE disadvantage against someone that was lucky enough to find 2 of them. They have double your health now. I also don't think they should take the full brunt of the damage. They should reduce damage taken, and also take some hits to the shield as well. This would allow them to last through multiple fights, which would encourage more people to actually engage instead of run away or just avoid people until the end-game.

At the moment, I'm ok with shields and I'm ok with the damage hitting shields first. I'd just like an indicator. If it functions like armor, it should have a visual as such. Or just replace shields with a flak vest that gets put on upon pick up.

Not much in the patch, but I do like the decreased in rocket ammo. It's super annoying in the end-game to have someone just nonstop spam rockets\grenades at you.

I think I'll keep playing until I hit my 20% win-rate goal. If I win my next game I'm there!

Then I'll take a break for a while and see how the game shapes up. Too many single player games in my backlog due to fucking battle royale taking over my free time :p

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Still no gunplay fixes in the patch? Wow.

Why try and fix probably the most important element that's severely broken?

I'm sick to death of shooting someone from behind multiple times, missing point blank shots only to be killed instantly by them when they tune around and rng 200 point damage head shots.

Even if you have 200 health(100health 100 shield) I drop quicker than someone who had 100.

GET RID OF HITSCAN AND RNG!

The fuck is wrong with epic? This is a free to play early access demo-thing. Release projectiles and let us help tweak it. Instead we're left with this amateur implementation of a competitive shooter.

At this point I try to avoid any and all encounters, especially up close because it's just bullshit and luck who gets the damage roll of the dice.

Top Bottom