• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale |OT| 100 Players on Epic Battlegrounds

Gator86

First time I've had the fire button not work. Just couldn't get my button to work and died because I never fired my gun. Jesus, Epic.

Mahonay

Banned
Played a whole lot of squads tonight with a group tonight. Was a lot of fun even if we only won twice over the course of about 2 or 3 hours. Game is just some good dumb fun played with friends. I love how tense it gets towards the end.
First time I've had the fire button not work. Just couldn't get my button to work and died because I never fired my gun. Jesus, Epic.
A couple times I've had my gun start firing uncontrollably with no input from me.

Was just wondering if anyone was interested in partying up for Duo's & Squads?

I've been trying to enjoy these two modes but keep ending up with randoms that team kill.

If anyone is interested my PSN is the same as my GAF username :)

Likely to get more responses if you stated where you are located :)
But if you are UK based or at least west Europe, add me. I'm not very good but up for some duo/squads :)

My PSN is my username here: grounded_dreams

Cerium

HGAU2pF.png

Gator86

After about a dozen hours, I think I'm near done. My opinion on the game went up, up, up, up, then cratered. Epic made a game where bullets don't do where you're aiming and the buttons don't reliably do anything.

To some extent, it's an anti-game - a title that spits in your face for expecting it to conform to the basics of what videogames do in 2017.

I might still tinker with it here and there, but it did it's job of making the time pass until the meat of the holiday schedule.

I can hit things fine when the game runs smoothly.

But on that note, I just can't get the game to run smoothly anymore.

Something about the huge trees with the shiny tops or something. It just kills my fps.

And it often gets worse in gun fights.

I actually once accidentally closed battle eye and the game seemed to run so much smoother. I kept getting kicked from the game and that was when I realized I had accidentally closed the battle eye service....

This. Was. Madness.

The circle was looking to end on the Wailing Woods so we waited for the storm to almost hit us outside the woods then started building up over the tree line and made a massive sky floor across most of the woods.

The teams below us didn't realize it at first. We kept building as they killed each other off. The final team of 4 didn't have enough firepower to shoot any of the panels, so we just picked them off as the circle got smaller and smaller.

So ridiculous.

Rockets are so OP. Made it down to the last 5 and just started rocketing any area I thought someone could hide. Sent em scrambling and finished em with my guns.

Lol. This was probably my best use of a bush EVER.

I was pinched between 2 players. Then this happened.

Fucking lol. I went on to win that game.

This is my point. If someone disappears out of thin air, and they don't shoot the only bush, they deserve it :D

Also, whoever I said the burst rifle was "just a starter rifle" to, I whole hearted take that back. It's the gun for runs around with killing surprise attackers and for ambushing. Just don't miss.

Also, whoever I said the burst rifle was "just a starter rifle" to, I whole hearted take that back. It's the gun for runs around with killing surprise attackers and for ambushing. Just don't miss.
The blue burst rifle is one of my favorite guns in this game. It just does insane damage, especially if you get a headshot. Sadly the blue variant is also the most rare gun in the game for me. I see the blue m16 way more often.

Going back to the ability to see who has armour, they should do this...

Use the 5 colours.

Normal - 1 - 75% health.
Green - 76 - 100% health.
Blue - Combined health and armour equalling between 101 - 150.
Purple - Full health and 51 - 99 armour.
Gold - Full health and full armour.

And you view these colours by looking at the trail of dust as people are running. Because I don't think we should be able to see some kind of aura. That would also surely give away people in stationary positions. So that seems to be the fairest way of doing it. And how does anyone have time to decide how to act when surprised anyway?

*Splinter

Use the 5 colours.

Normal - 1 - 75% health.

And you view these colours by looking at the trail of dust as people are running. Because I don't think we should be able to see some kind of aura. That would also surely give away people in stationary positions. So that seems to be the fairest way of doing it. And how does anyone have time to decide how to act when surprised anyway?
Good idea, now we just need some way to know all the equipment they are carrying, how much ammo, resources, how far away are their teammates, how many teammates they have, maybe some stats to see how good they are.

Anything else we need to know before shooting someone in the back?

Game is great, love the building mechanic and playing with a group of three other people is where the game shines for me tbh. I feel that the shooting could be better, and i notice some random lag from time to time, but a for free to play game i can't complain.

Durden77

Just downloaded this, don't really know how to feel about it yet. On PS4.

I don't get a lot about the building yet. And I keep gettin rocked.

Likely to get more responses if you stated where you are located :)
But if you are UK based or at least west Europe, add me. I'm not very good but up for some duo/squads :)

My PSN is my username here: grounded_dreams

Ah yes forgot to mention where I am!

Yeah, I'm UK based.

I'll drop you a friend request :)

Good idea, now we just need some way to know all the equipment they are carrying, how much ammo, resources, how far away are their teammates, how many teammates they have, maybe some stats to see how good they are.

Each puff of dust is shaped like the weapons and equipment. And if the dust is really small, it means the whole team is close :D Let's not go too far. I'd rather not know that I'm chasing a gold AR with a shotgun. Or them know that I've got no more bandages.

Durden77

Couple of questions..

- What'd that red dot that appears around my cursor sometimes?

- Can I not switch shoulders? (PS4)

- Are games with teams and games with solo players seperate?

Couple of questions..

- What'd that red dot that appears around my cursor sometimes?

- Can I not switch shoulders? (PS4)

- Are games with teams and games with solo players seperate?

Red means your shot is blocked by an object.

No shoulder switch available at this time.

Yes, they're separate.

Lol. Yeah, I don't need to know any of that including if they have a shield or not. I'll know if they have a shield if I decide to engage them and start shooting. If I do decide to engage them, won't matter much as I'll be committed to it at that point. This game can't be played like other shooters as you should avoid engaging other people as much as possible and only do so if you absolutely have to. Won 2 matches today and I only had 3 kills in the first (solo mode) and 2 kills in the second (duo mode).

Want to get a win on squad mode, but it's a lot more difficult given the limited resources and the fact that you're going up against squads.

Use the 5 colours.

Normal - 1 - 75% health.

I think shields should just decay over time. It would make their use more strategic and require the use of a slot to hold.

Just downloaded this last night with my friends. Got to second place but no wins yet. I hope other games use Battle Royale as a game mode if they can support the player count and map size. It’s a superior FFA mode and damn fun. Fortnite got it right by adding it as another mode to a fleshed out game.

eshwaaz

Can voice chat be completely disabled? My 10 year old son wants to try it, but he's not allowed to play anything with chat. The violence is fairly mild, correct?

*Splinter

Can voice chat be completely disabled? My 10 year old son wants to try it, but he's not allowed to play anything with chat. The violence is fairly mild, correct?
There is currently no in-game voice chat.

There is shooting but no blood, and it's a cartoony art style. I would assume it's fine for a 10yo but I'm no parent.

TDonk

Happened to me when down to the last 2.

Used my grenades and selection put me onto my gold/orange SCAR rifle, but wouldn't shoot, by the time I cycled back to it, I was dead.

Memnoch

Yes I think it's fine. I play with my 11 year old daughter. My wife isn't keen on it but there is no blood and it is very cartoony.

You would think a hit to the head with a pick axe is a sure OHK. Make this happen Epic. Also add a smoke grenade.

Oh man a Smoke Grenade would be really fun to have.

I wonder what other weapons could FortniteBR have? Flamethrower? Crossbow? Heavy Machine Gun? Something really wacky that works for this game?

Gator86

Happened to me when down to the last 2.

Used my grenades and selection put me onto my gold/orange SCAR rifle, but wouldn't shoot, by the time I cycled back to it, I was dead.

Shout out to Epic for making the most broken game I've ever played. I know it's early access, but the buttons don't work. That's legitimately dumbfounding every time I think about it.

I do have to admit aim assist on console is ass. It doesn't go on the person, it follows a foot behind them. So what's the point?

Also, shotguns kill too quickly. If you bring anything other than another shotgun to that fight you ar guaranteed to lose, even at full health and full shields.

KodaRuss

Got two wins under my belt and a few other top 5s. I am really starting to like the game. Has Epic said anything that they are adding to the mode at all?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I have put about 50 hours into this game, and I really tried to like it because I am a big epic fan, but Fortnite BR is hot garbage. I do not recommend this mess to anyone and I hope people who are turned off by this give BRs a chance when a non-shit BR like pubg hits ps4 and Xbox.

Epic really disappointed me with this one. I have never played a game with more frustrating deaths than this game. In pubg at least you generally understand why you lost. This game is just one big dice roll. My beefs for one last time:
- Two shot AR kills
- 1 body shot sniper kills
- guns that magically miss for no reason
- kills that feel unearned or completely random
- horrible circle locations with no means of quick travel
- getting wrecked by a purple 2 mins into the game (way too rng based)
- over powered explosives
- unresponsive controls
- dated hitscan bullet system for most guns
- terrible health system that just leads to more one shot deaths by lucky rng.
- schizophrenic shotguns

PUBG already has too much rng in it, Fortnite BR adds rng accuracy which is tied to rng gun rarity to amplify the rng to unacceptable levels. This is something that will never be fixed as it is built into the base of the game. The shooting will also never get any better due to needing the rng accuracy to balance hitscan engagements at long range (and give casuals a chance). Epic would have to move completely to projectiles to fix thier crap shooting and that isnt happening.

I hope those that like it keep enjoying it, but I can promise you that this game will die a quick death as soon as a more pubg like game comes out on consoles.

It sucks because I really like the building mechanic and the art style wackiness. Lata.

Got my first win tonight. We had a group of 4, but 2 of them were killed pretty quickly after the round started. The other guy and I went all Army of Two and somehow pulled it off.

Best moment was when we saw a group of 4 building a fort on a hill. I started firing my pistol to distract them while my teammate snuck around and threw a grenade in and got them all.

Top Bottom