• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale |OT| 100 Players on Epic Battlegrounds

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I think I'm done with this game. The gunplay is just too bad. It's awful.

Damage doesn't make sense, health/shields are pointless when you die instantly.

Theorry

Yeah i played it alot more now and the flaws really start to show.
Horrible performance also atm on console so every battle is a big lottery. Think i wait for some patches to see how it improves. But PUBG is coming tho,

Gator86

Yeah i played it alot more now and the flaws really start to show.
Horrible performance also atm on console so every battle is a big lottery. Think i wait for some patches to see how it improves. But PUBG is coming tho,

Some of the performance stuff is genuinely shocking for a game made by the engine developer. Buttons don't reliably work! I died yesterday early on when me and a guy saw each other and each went for a gun. He picked his up, aimed, and shot me to death before I managed to pick up the gun I was standing on despite mashing square like a lunatic.

Damage makes perfect sense. Read how much damage a weapon does. A weapon with 34 damage will take 3 direct bullets (or 6 with shield) to kill. A weapon with 10 damage will take 10 direct bullets (or 20 with shield).

Know your weapon and check it's stats in inventory.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm fine with shields as they are.

Add in more shield tools I say though. I prefer slower TTK anyway.

Not really. I want shield to have its visual appearance so I would know who have it or not. I would like to able to plan accordingly depends on who have the shields or not.

For example, I had a sight on a team of two. I took an aim at that player's head with a sniper. I took a shot and saw blue numbers popped. I knew I'm in deep shit. lol

Stealth50

When I installed this game I saw it as a demo before progressing onward to PUBG. After playing this a bunch and looking at some more gameplay of PUBG on twitch I really don't find any reason to move on. This game is dope.

Also happy that the cheater problem seems to be gone.

Flintty

Yeah I’m new to it and whilst the premise is fun as hell, coming to it straight from Destiny 2 is jarring.

LeetBM

Neo Member
I have 20 Solo wins and looking for Duo/Squad partners. If you're half decent at the game and need a partner let me know!

Edit: PS4 and mic users only pls!

Just got my 12th win on battle Royale. Woohoo!! And no bush stealth....well until it was down to me and some other person. Then I realized they aren't paying attention and were unaware that I was right behind them in a bush while they were in a small shack. So I decided to dupe them by building a stair right to the shed, open the door, run up the stairs to the roof, take out my shotgun and enjoy my Royale with Cheese.

Memnoch

Same. I use stealth more than anything. In a fight, you could easily lose. In a smart position and stealth, you can't. Discretion is the better part of valor, especially with RNG bullets.

Same. I usually only use it begrudgingly. I love a lot about the game, but the building doesn't really click with me either.
I am exactly the same. Love stealth and dislike building.

Calderc

Looking for Xbox squad mates. Not being able to communicate with randoms is infuriating. I'm not the best but it doesn't help when your squad die instantly. GT is my username, hit me up!

Idk man, I'm aiming an assault rifle and firing at a guy and some shots aren't hitting
The cursor is right on his body/neck area

He then turned around and shot a shotgun at me from far away hitting me instantly, I still downed him but his back was facing me and I was unloading like 20 shots

HiiiLife

Idk man, I'm aiming an assault rifle and firing at a guy and some shots aren't hitting
The cursor is right on his body/neck area

He then turned around and shot a shotgun at me from far away hitting me instantly, I still downed him but his back was facing me and I was unloading like 20 shots

Its stupid. Even after everyone saying stop crouch and fire a shot. It doesn’t always work. It makes firefights way too random when you know your aim is actually on point.

Its stupid. Even after everyone saying stop crouch and fire a shot. It doesn’t always work. It makes firefights way too random when you know your aim is actually on point.

Yep its random AF. Reminds me of H3 BR. Also they need to fix this fucking freezing, several times i;ve been completely fucked by my screen freezing for 10 seconds.

If they fix those 2 issues I'll be 100% happy.

Gator86

I am exactly the same. Love stealth and dislike building.

tenor.gif

I just play it like it's Splinter Cell or MGS5. No building, only stealth until I ambush you or go out guns blazing in the final few.

Yeah, the hitscan is the root of the issue.

1. They have to have RNG accuracy to balance hitscan at long distances.
2. The RNG bullets make the shooting feel like a dice roll (cuz it is essentially).
3. Deaths feel undeserved and kills are completely random.

IMO, the only way to fix this is moving to a projectile system like Battlefield or PUBG. They are dead simple to make, or hell, Epic could just buy one of the 4 systems from their marketplace if they are just completely lazy (they would never do this lol but it hilarious).

Why epic is sticking with hitscan is the biggest headscratcher for me. I wish some Journalist type would ask them why they are using such an outdated system for a game that has super long engagements.

I've been using every gun wrong (except for the sniper apparently). I thought all the guns were projectile...

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I played a few hours today and it has potential, but the TTK seems awfully low, it would be enough to stop me playing it more in the future if it's not increased a little.

tenor.gif

I just play it like it's Splinter Cell or MGS5. No building, only stealth until I ambush you or go out guns blazing in the final few.

Because with the way health and shields work, you almost have to play like that.

Do rockets seriously have infinite range? I thought they used to explode after a while....?

Kioshen

Does the game still not have in game voice chat? thats the only thing preventing me from playing this.

Devs just posted a bunch of features they wanted to implement in the 4 to 6 weeks range. If you go back a couple of posts you'll see it. Voice chat is mentioned so they have it on their radar and should be implemented soonish.

This game is so much fucking fun!

Just had a game where 4 of the last 5 guys all had epic forts built. I decided to sneak out of mine and take out a guy on top of a massive cliff. When I returned to my fort, someone else was trying to sneak up to me (but I wasn't there). So from above. Another guy had a weak foundation so I shot out the bottom of his fort (sadly that kill didn't count). Then I constructed a sky fort (attached to the cliff) and sniped the last guy =)

Edit: 2nd win tonight. Messy 1v1, but shooting him through the gap under the wall for the win was pretty neat :)

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Honestly, I'm totally fine with hitscan weapons and do prefer them. I'd rather they just adjust the RNG aiming to something more skill based really. I don't want to have to lead targets by a mile in an arcadey game like this, but I also don't love bullets basically coming out of my gun at a right angle for an entire fight and getting killed for it.
There is no way to do that in a game like this. Hitscan is not suited for games with long engagements. It works well in arena games were the instant hit nature is somewhat plausible.

There is no way to make hitscan better at these distances. If you make it more accurate it will break the game. I mean, even in halo they had theses problems. Why do you think the sniper had so little ammo and the AR had bloom?

Modern projectile systems are required for this type of combat.

Rodelero

At 75 health auto regen should kick in and heal you the rest of the way to 100 slowly. That way med kits are still important.

Sniper should do 90 DMG to body and 180 to head. Pretty simple balance right there. It doing 104 to the body is dumb as bricks.

Yeah, the hitscan is the root of the issue.

1. They have to have RNG accuracy to balance hitscan at long distances.
2. The RNG bullets make the shooting feel like a dice roll (cuz it is essentially).
3. Deaths feel undeserved and kills are completely random.

IMO, the only way to fix this is moving to a projectile system like Battlefield or PUBG. They are dead simple to make, or hell, Epic could just buy one of the 4 systems from their marketplace if they are just completely lazy (they would never do this lol but it hilarious).

Why epic is sticking with hitscan is the biggest headscratcher for me. I wish some Journalist type would ask them why they are using such an outdated system for a game that has super long engagements.

Firstly, they actually are looking into the possibility of moving to projectiles across all of the guns, but it is something with some level of technical challenge to it despite your arrogant lazy developer quip, why you believe they'd use someone else's projectile system for a game where some of the guns are already projectile based I have no idea. Choosing to move to projectiles, which they may very well do, isn't something that they can just turn on and off, it has massive ramifications for balance that will need to be tuned patiently.

KodaRuss

I got a 3rd and a 5th last night after a few games. The rush to find a weapon at the start of the game kind of turns me off a little but that is just the game I guess.

Gator86

I got a 3rd and a 5th last night after a few games. The rush to find a weapon at the start of the game kind of turns me off a little but that is just the game I guess.

My least favorite part of the game, really. It's just a mad sprint to find stuff mostly based on RNG. It's also where the horribly balanced melee sticks out the most. It's still one of my major complaints about the game.

I usually have no problem getting a gun early on, but I also don't jump into heavily populated areas.

I just got 2 wins in a row jumping into Greasy Grove though. Only had 2-3 people there with me. Just gotta make sure you land on a house all by yourself. If you do land near someone, just follow them with a pickaxe :p

Never have a problem finding guns, but I also never land anywhere near the bus path and named locations. I go for the demolished houses, they always have chests that will grant at least a gun and, half of the time, a shield potion or medkit.

Was just wondering if anyone was interested in partying up for Duo's & Squads?

I've been trying to enjoy these two modes but keep ending up with randoms that team kill.

If anyone is interested my PSN is the same as my GAF username :)

Effnine

Teamkillers constantly.

Its infuriating and they keep getting away with it because the game has no repercussions

It's 2017, you can't go into squads with randoms. This is the golden rule of modern multiplayer gameplay. If you're on PS4, just hit up the communities.

Good wins @mobius

I continue to have stutters so i turned all graphics down to low except view distance. It's helped a bit, but my computer should be able to handle everything thrown at it. I didn't have issues before this most recent patch.

I wonder if there is a way I can send in my log to technical and see if there's anything i could do

Damage makes perfect sense. Read how much damage a weapon does. A weapon with 34 damage will take 3 direct bullets (or 6 with shield) to kill. A weapon with 10 damage will take 10 direct bullets (or 20 with shield).

Know your weapon and check it's stats in inventory.

While the stats make sense, actually using the weapons is a poor experience. They feel very inconsistent.
I think it's largely to do with the connection but hard to say.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I can consistently get top 10, but can't get past top 3... playing on PS4.. I'm just not figuring out the hitboxes quite right yet. Also with the last update I've noticed changes to building where it won't let me put stuff where I used to be able too.. or maybe it's something else.

The best players I see are able to use building really quickly to escape trouble.

My go to is to get to the edge of map as far from the bus as possible and find a few deserted houses... typically can round the edges getting a few sheds and luck into enough gear to survive until 2 or 3 circle closures. There's not a lot of reason to get kills in a heavy populated area.. too much chance of being flanked.. and the gear isn't any better.

Top Bottom