• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale |OT| 100 Players on Epic Battlegrounds

I have put about 50 hours into this game, and I really tried to like it because I am a big epic fan, but Fortnite BR is hot garbage. I do not recommend this mess to anyone and I hope people who are turned off by this give BRs a chance when a non-shit BR like pubg hits ps4 and Xbox.

Based on what you say you should be outraged and definitely request a full refund.

I present to you a little technique I like to call "The See Through Snipe." Using the transparency of a damaged (or in progress) building piece to line up a shot before peeking.

Example 1 - This one was just perfect a I had a slanted piece to walk up.

Example 2

It allows you to get a shot off before your opponent as they won't know exactly when you pop up, but you'll already have your shot lined up. This really doesn't work if someone is moving. And if you know your opponent has a sniper rifle... always be moving.

Alastor3

I present to you a little technique I like to call "The See Through Snipe." Using the transparency of a damaged (or in progress) building piece to line up a shot before peeking.

Example 1

Example 2 - This one was just perfect a I had a slanted piece to walk up.

It allows you to get a shot off before your opponent as they won't know exactly when you pop up, but you'll already have your shot lined up. This really doesn't work if someone is moving. And if you know your opponent has a sniper rifle... always be moving.

but he can also see through the wall too, no?

Mikey Jr.

I have put about 50 hours into this game, and I really tried to like it because I am a big epic fan, but Fortnite BR is hot garbage. I do not recommend this mess to anyone and I hope people who are turned off by this give BRs a chance when a non-shit BR like pubg hits ps4 and Xbox.

Thats cool if you don't like it. Those are respectable grievances.

I have 30 hours and fucking love it. Especially the building mechanics. Lots of potential there.

That being said, this game does have its fair share of problems, I won't deny that.

But you know what? It's 2 weeks old. Doesn't ask any money of you. Every week Epic is either releasing a good patch or talking to its community about what it plans to do.

So I'm not going anywhere. I'll give them 20 bucks on PS4 once I can. They deserve it.

Mahonay

Banned
Is there a Gaf Discord or anything?
HGAU2pF.png

As for the complaints about the game on the previous page.... some are valid.

- Two shot AR kills

Which AR can do that? The golden SCAR does 39 damage, which takes 3 shots to kill. Even the AKM in PUBG does more damage against 0 armor.

- getting wrecked by a purple 2 mins into the game (way too rng based)
In PUBG, I touch down near another player. I go into a house and find a pistol. The other guy gets a Scar and level 2 body armor. Shit happens.

- 1 body shot sniper kills
Yeah... this is too much considering how hard it CAN be to get shields.

- horrible circle locations with no means of quick travel
While I've never had a problem making it to the circle, there are times when you really have to leg it with no distractions. I also like that vehicles in other games means you can get to the circle and to the exact position you want with plenty of time to spare. In Fortnite, you get into this scenario where 7 people arrive to the circle at the last second and then it's a fucking shootout.

- terrible health system that just leads to more one shot deaths by lucky rng.
I think the health\shield system in this game does need some serious thought. My biggest complaint is that when you're out of the looting phase and you don't have shields because you couldn't find any or you got into too many fights, you'll probably never get any shields for the rest of the game. And if you're on 75 health, lol good luck...

Epic really disappointed me with this one. I have never played a game with more frustrating deaths than this game. In pubg at least you generally understand why you lost. This game is just one big dice roll. My beefs for one last time:
- Two shot AR kills
- 1 body shot sniper kills
- guns that magically miss for no reason
- kills that feel unearned or completely random
- horrible circle locations with no means of quick travel
- getting wrecked by a purple 2 mins into the game (way too rng based)
- over powered explosives
- unresponsive controls
- dated hitscan bullet system for most guns
- terrible health system that just leads to more one shot deaths by lucky rng.
- schizophrenic shotguns

PUBG already has too much rng in it, Fortnite BR adds rng accuracy which is tied to rng gun rarity to amplify the rng to unacceptable levels. This is something that will never be fixed as it is built into the base of the game. The shooting will also never get any better due to needing the rng accuracy to balance hitscan engagements at long range (and give casuals a chance). Epic would have to move completely to projectiles to fix thier crap shooting and that isnt happening.

I hope those that like it keep enjoying it, but I can promise you that this game will die a quick death as soon as a more pubg like game comes out on consoles.

It sucks because I really like the building mechanic and the art style wackiness. Lata.

LOL WHAT!?!?!? PUBG is WAY worse...Half the time you don't even know where you've been killed from.Atleast in this game you know where you got killed from (kill cam)..

Like someone has said this games only 2 weeks old when pubg came out it was a worse mess than the mess it is atm.I do hope they improve the hit detection and stuff somehow as it really is bad

Hit detection i s s o f u c k i n g a s s also console performance is god awful. These 2 things are making me debate uninstalling and never looking back.

Gator86

Hit detection i s s o f u c k i n g a s s also console performance is god awful. These 2 things are making me debate uninstalling and never looking back.

I'm not sure it's hit detection as much as the fact that it has completely RNG bullets. You can aim at a guy's chest from a foot away and miss every shot. Every fight is basically just a coin toss. It's pretty garbage.

I love so much about the game but the basics (BUTTONS DONT RELIABLY WORK, insane hitching for the first free minutes) and shooting really put a low ceiling on how great it can be.

It really is so bad..Won our first duo game today and just lost last game shooting at a guy who had no idea where we were after downing his teammate and he kills both us in 2 shots..Of course my bullets never hit him tho! I really hope they fix this somehow

edit:can we also talk how BAD the freezing in this game is...Just cost me a double kill and got me killed..THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ended the day with a win in Solo, Duo and Squad. While the game isn't perfect, it's a ton of fun. Will definitely be playing a lot more of this and looking forward to what they add.

Just tried he game for a few rounds and I SUCK at it. Also it seems stupid and unintuitive to have you switch with Triangle to choose the grenade and R2 to throw it and push Triangle again to go back to a weapon. Why not R1 for grenade? That button was left unused!

Also: am I playing on PS4 vs ppl using mouse and keyboard???? Because if I am it may explain a thing or two!

HiiiLife

The shooting in this game only makes me anticipate the Xbox release for PUBG.

hopefully shots actually register in that game

Durden77

Well I still don't know exactly how to feel about the game, but I've been playing it all day, so I guess I like it? Still haven't gotten a solo win. Closest I got was top 5.

Ugh. PEOPLE STOP DOING THIS.

There's a time and place for hiding in a bush. But taht is not end-game 1v1 when there's no OTHER place you could hide. Sad thing is, he had plenty of opportunities to kill me while I was running around looking everywhere and tossing grenades and shit.

I'll end the night with this perfect clip of why the RNG gunplay is bullshit.

My first shot was dead-center with the best AR in the game. I was crouched. We were both moving. I should have went into that fight with the advantage...

But I stuck with it and got the luckiest of all RNG hits + headshot...

Lotto

Been playing this a lot with my brothers and friends. I enjoy the game enough but I've got the same issues with the RNG accuracy in this game and it's reassuring to know I'm not just making it up.

Geeky

Ugh. PEOPLE STOP DOING THIS.

There's a time and place for hiding in a bush. But taht is not end-game 1v1 when there's no OTHER place you could hide. Sad thing is, he had plenty of opportunities to kill me while I was running around looking everywhere and tossing grenades and shit.

Something like that happened to me the other day.

https://youtu.be/55xscgpKQ9M

I knew the other person was in the area because I just saw them take out the third place player. When I saw the circle was just in a open field I assumed I was going to see a four walled enclosure when I got over the hill, but was treated to easy prey.

Banzai

Had my first solo win yesterday. In the end I was the only guy on a mountain with 5 guys on the ground in a really small circle. I had a legendary rocket launcher and grenade launcher with 20+ ammo and grenades. That was fun.

I'll end the night with this perfect clip of why the RNG gunplay is bullshit.

My first shot was dead-center with the best AR in the game. I was crouched. We were both moving. I should have went into that fight with the advantage...

But I stuck with it and got the luckiest of all RNG hits + headshot...

It actually looks like you both hit 4 body and 1 head shot. He just ended up having less shield.

He went 3 body, 1 head, 1 body.. but he was hitting at 24 to the body and 60 to the head. Whereas you hit 4 body and then 1 headshot but at 39 to the body and 98 to the head. So perhaps the difference in the fight actually was the quality of the weapons you had in relation to each other.

It actually looks like you both hit 4 body and 1 head shot. He just ended up having less shield.

He went 3 body, 1 head, 1 body.. but he was hitting at 24 to the body and 60 to the head. Whereas you hit 4 body and then 1 headshot but at 39 to the body and 98 to the head. So perhaps the difference in the fight actually was the quality of the weapons you had in relation to each other.
I mean... if you want to break it down...

He was using the purple scoped AR.
Body = 24 damage
Headshot = 60 damage

I was using the gold Scar.
Body = 39 damage
Headshot = 98 damage

I assume he had full shield. Doesn't matter because I do 200+ damage.

He hit me for 24, 24, 24, 60, 24 = 156 damage

I hit him for 39, 39, 39, 98 = 215 damage

The point is that my kill was completely random, but the outcome of the fight probably would have been different if my shots were actually fucking accurate. That's probably why he was using the scoped AR even though he had the purple scar on him. The scoped AR actually hits where you aim, which is why it has that massive damage penalty.

Gator86

The shooting in this game only makes me anticipate the Xbox release for PUBG.

hopefully shots actually register in that game

Same. There's a lot about Fortnite I love, but the focus on building and terrible gunplay drags it down for me which would be less of an issue there. That said, I also love the shorter games and faster pace in Fortnite.

I hope they find a way to make combat more serious and less Mario Kart. Right now, there's no reason to ever engage in combat. Even with a full shield, top weapons, and the element of surprise, you can lose fights to unshielded people with gray weapons if RNGesus blesses them.

I mean... if you want to break it down...

He was using the purple scoped AR.
Body = 24 damage
Headshot = 60 damage

I was using the gold Scar.
Body = 39 damage
Headshot = 98 damage

I assume he had full shield. Doesn't matter because I do 200+ damage.

He hit me for 24, 24, 24, 60, 24 = 156 damage

I hit him for 39, 39, 39, 98 = 215 damage

The point is that my kill was completely random, but the outcome of the fight probably would have been different if my shots were actually fucking accurate. That's probably why he was using the scoped AR even though he had the purple scar on him. The scoped AR actually hits where you aim, which is why it has that massive damage penalty.

I wasn't commenting on the RNG aspect of it but just noticing how the difference between the quality of the weapons enables you to come back like that. If you have, say, a blue M16 instead, you're not likely to comeback from that damage deficit.

I'm not completely sold on the Scoped Rifle being 100% projectile. I've seen some funky things with that gun. Though it is generally more dependable than a standard AR. I just found it interesting that in the end hits seemed to balance out.

Spotted this on Reddit, made from the Dakotaz video on chest spots. I enjoy the busier locations for the most part but have found these useful for when walking to the circle, good to keep an eye if you're close to any.

Otherwise, cosmetics can't come fast enough. RNG bullets are annoying but they don't grate on me as much as others, perhaps because my aim sucks anyway lol. Loving the game still, just chasing the Duos umbrella with a friend who's new to the game. Love that it's fun to watch, don't mind at all if I get capped from the off and it's him surviving as long as he can.

Also, is there a blue revolver? I don't think I've ever seen one.

Watching dakotaz stream, comes across a player who is not moving, tapping right on him with AR and it doesn't register a single hit... Got runs, takes 1 hit and gets away.
It's so random.

I think the scar is the worst offender, sometimes it does nothing then you suddenly get a headshot... It's a lucky dip!

The ๖ۜBronx;252160811 said:
Spotted this on Reddit, made from the Dakotaz video on chest spots. I enjoy the busier locations for the most part but have found these useful for when walking to the circle, good to keep an eye if you're close to any.

That image is missing a few on one of my favorite loot paths. I'll sometimes land at 2 and make my way east towards the covered bridge. Slightly north of that covered bridge is a detached truck trailer that can spawn a chest inside and an ammo box on the ground. The covered bridge itself can also have a chest in the upper rafters (you need to build a ramp up to it). You can see if a chest is there from below. They surrounding hay will be glowing. A chest can also spawn in the basement of that little hut north of the willow tree (3). May as well check that if you're near the tree I guess.

Also, always check those trucks with the boxes inside.

So far I've won about 5 times.

I still have a couple of questions though:

Are grenades broken or do I just suck with them? They travel like 1 feet and bounce all over the damn place. Seems like a waste of my inventory slot.

Is crouching and staying still the best for shooting or is it RNG?

How much range do the shotguns actually have?

I still have a couple of questions though:

Are grenades broken or do I just suck with them? They travel like 1 feet and bounce all over the damn place. Seems like a waste of my inventory slot.

Is crouching and staying still the best for shooting or is it RNG?

How much range do the shotguns actually have?

With grenades, you basically need to look up at the sky, throw, and hope for the best. They can go a little far. I probably have a clip or two with some nice grenade kills. Most of the time, they're good for getting people to move from cover because they're afraid of explosives.

Crouching and not moving = best accuracy. Standing while moving = worst accuracy. RNG is still RNG though....

Shotguns are way too good over way too long of a distance. I don't know the exact range, but I know it's too long. Fuck shotguns.

Gator86

You know this is nonsense, right?

You can blame RNG or you can learn from your mistakes, I guess.

So you're saying there isn't RNG bullet accuracy in this game? You definitely are more likely to win in those situations, but you can still easily lose if you get unlucky with inaccurate bullets and they land a lucky headshot or two.

You can stack the deck in your favor, but you can't git gud at RNG aiming. This isn't Counterstrike or something. It's closer to Mario Kart - The Shooter.

You know this is nonsense, right?

You can blame RNG or you can learn from your mistakes, I guess.

Nah. You can absolutely be better geared, be in a better position, and get the drop on someone and miss your opening shots due to Bloom (which is what the RNG bullet spread is referred to in hitscan) and an opponent can turn and get "lucky" headshots that kill you. I've been on both sides of this many times in the game.

TDonk

Just won 2 solo games on the bounce, didn't even get a kill in one of them :lol:

And just 1 kill in the other.

5 wins

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Nah. You can absolutely be better geared, be in a better position, and get the drop on someone and miss your opening shots due to Bloom (which is what the RNG bullet spread is referred to in hitscan) and an opponent can turn and get "lucky" headshots that kill you. I've been on both sides of this many times in the game.
Can confirm. Very frustrating when this happens and very hilarious when someone's bullets come flying and not a single one hits yet it only takes me a few shots to kill them. Game's weapons sometimes feel like trying to use hip fire in COD. Really can't wait for the projectile overhaul.

*Splinter

So you're saying there isn't RNG bullet accuracy in this game? You definitely are more likely to win in those situations, but you can still easily lose if you get unlucky with inaccurate bullets and they land a lucky headshot or two.

You can stack the deck in your favor, but you can't git gud at RNG aiming. This isn't Counterstrike or something. It's closer to Mario Kart - The Shooter.
If you're shooting someone unawares and then dying then you fucked up somewhere. Positioning, weapon selection, even just aim. Yes there is spread but I've never had a problem shooting people in the back, and I have the same RNG as anyone else.

This isn't confirmed right? I remember them saying that they're looking into it, but there are challenges. So I'm not holding my breath.

I am pretty sure they are internally testing it and intending to release it.

The RNG in this game is just too much, and I think its much better off adding serious kick and recoil to the guns instead to encourage tap fire.

It's ridiculous that people defend it, but Im just hopeful they fix shit fast. Estimated time is about 4-6 weeks for most of their updates since they have strike teams, but the gunplay really needs to be solid.

Also, the headshot multiplier fo the SCAR sounds ridiculous. 98 damage is crazy, and I don't think it should be that high, but that's another topic

GodofWine

I played 4 matches on Friday. Man this game is hot garbage.

I played 4 matches yesterday. Man I love this game.

(Seriously, I do, its like a light hearted more fun version of PUBG, which also has horrible hit detection for its own reasons - the servers are like built in RNG).

And in general, if you have the drop on someone, and the right weapon, and more health / shield, the RNG isn't going to make you lose. I think sometimes its people losing to people with shields that makes it feel like you got screwed.

The aim stuff is being overblown. If you want a serious shooter, that probably never will be fortnite. They simply don't want you to be absolutely capable of taking someone out over a distance without them having a chance to respond. And to top it off, we're talking about third person here with low TTK. It's already too easy to peek due to third person camera. If you reduce the avg TTK much lower it will absolutely be all about who gets first shots off. That's a bad thing. You go from advantaged to guaranteed win imo. It would be so much campier than it already is I think.

I think they should tweak the accuracy more. But I don't think it has to be drastic. Reduce the aim penalty for moving. Tighten aim a bit. Add a little more recoil, and I mean crosshair displacement to compensate for higher accuracy.

Overall, I'd actually prefer them increase the TTK, not reduce it.

Natiko

Banned
The ๖ۜBronx;252160811 said:

Otherwise, cosmetics can't come fast enough. RNG bullets are annoying but they don't grate on me as much as others, perhaps because my aim sucks anyway lol. Loving the game still, just chasing the Duos umbrella with a friend who's new to the game. Love that it's fun to watch, don't mind at all if I get capped from the off and it's him surviving as long as he can.

Also, is there a blue revolver? I don't think I've ever seen one.
Doesn’t even have my new favorite spot which at this moment at least is not a named location.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This isn't confirmed right? I remember them saying that they're looking into it, but there are challenges. So I'm not holding my breath.
Not confirmed but they keep talking about it so i'm keeping my hopes up that it'll one of the priorities like loot boxes and cosmetics.

KodaRuss

I am kinda hoping they get an update going soon. I am having fun but this is about as barebones as it gets. I wonder how long they went from start of project to launch on this mode.

Top Bottom