• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |G2.1| "Whatever The Fuck That Means"

deoee

All good, my man.

tumblr_mns3vq4VWf1rtpnmgo1_500.gif

SwolBro

Banned
crazy how good the campaign really was. i hate campaigns and rarely finish them. i can only imagine where they can go from here with enough time and resources.

i'm usually not a fan of maps that have moving parts but this game could be incredibly fun with moving maps in multiplayer like some of the campaign stuff. They should also consider expanding on what they did in the first game with a "campaign" type multiplayer.

deoee

crazy how good the campaign really was. i hate campaigns and rarely finish them. i can only imagine where they can go from here with enough time and resources.

i'm usually not a fan of maps that have moving parts but this game could be incredibly fun with moving maps in multiplayer like some of the campaign stuff. They should also consider expanding on what they did in the first game with a "campaign" type multiplayer.

Imagine a changing mp-map (campaign like) depending on which faction is winning :O

Arrrammis

i'm usually not a fan of maps that have moving parts but this game could be incredibly fun with moving maps in multiplayer like some of the campaign stuff.

A level in the construction facility could be fantastic (I know we have one in a completed dome, but I mean in the actual factory), with plenty of hazards and changing environments. It would be really hard to balance though, and I can't see titans being very useful. Maybe a no-titans map or something like that.

SwolBro

Banned
A level in the construction facility could be fantastic (I know we have one in a completed dome, but I mean in the actual factory), with plenty of hazards and changing environments. It would be really hard to balance though, and I can't see titans being very useful. Maybe a no-titans map or something like that.

moving platforms, sideways maps, would be incredible. something where if you aren't moving, wall running, you fall to your fucking death. there'd be no camping on a map like that.

this is a game that would really benefit from some fun bizarre map designs every once in a while.

Calderc

Do you guys honestly think we'll get a Titanfall 3? I would LOVE it to happen and frankly if it doesn't i'll make it my life's mission to get it made. I just think with Respawn doing a Star Wars game it'll be a cash cow for them and may influence their future direction.

From the way the devs speak about Titanfall though you get that they really love it and are proud of it (rightly so) so it may live on as a passion project for them.

It would be gaming's biggest ever crime if this franchise was to die off.

Alx

Is there a logic in the kind of stuff you unlock as gifts ? During the first few weeks I was getting mostly banners, then it was essentially tickets and credits, and recently I'm getting a lot of emblems...

Arrrammis

Do you guys honestly think we'll get a Titanfall 3? I would LOVE it to happen and frankly if it doesn't i'll make it my life's mission to get it made. I just think with Respawn doing a Star Wars game it'll be a cash cow for them and may influence their future direction.

From the way the devs speak about Titanfall though you get that they really love it and are proud of it (rightly so) so it may live on as a passion project for them.

I think that we will if Respawn has a say in it, and with the consistent sales over the last 2 months , there is definitely a player base and money to be made, so I fully expect another game in a few years. I just really hope that if this becomes a larger franchise, we don't get a forced game every year or 2. 4 or so years is just great for me as long as they keep up new content in Titanfall 2, especially if it's free with pay-for cosmetic items.

SwolBro

Banned

they need to beef up the matchmaking. there's no way a game like this can survive without some type of challenging matchmaking.
what's the point to keep playing? i've noticed a lot of really good players drop the game in favor of Overwatch and rocket league lately. hell, i've even seen people go back to Destiny. People want to be challenged. They don't want to randomly stomp teams continuously or get randomly stomped. There has to be something for a game like this that has a wide skill gap.

Respawn's/infinity ward method of matchmaking worked when the population was huge and they could offer different playlists for more hardcore players. It doesn't work here. There's not enough good players and the players that are there get bored fast. You can't survive on lighthearted random matchmaking because then everyone will treat the game like so. A "hey let me play titanfall real quick" and that's it. That's the only players you'll ever get.

A map like the assembly line or the construction area where you move the cranes would be awesome.

ShowDog

I would rather they work on something else. Sitting in the aircraft, waiting to be dropped into a new multiplayer match while the commander barks the same orders at me I often forget how this is any better or different than TFl1 was back in 2013. I'm enjoying myself, but I can safely say that it all felt a lot more special at back then and it's all a bit deja vu at this point.

Respawn is too talented to: a) waste time on another Titanfall game so soon after the first two; and b) risk the future of their company continuing a series that hasn't performed up to expectations twice now. What's a Titanfall 3 going to do for the fans and for Respawn?

Continue to support TFl2 for the long haul and bring something fresh for next time.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Is it just me or did Respawn tweak the matchmaking or something? I've been getting shit tier teammates (like those who can't even score more than 20 in an entire match) while I'm going against stacks of squads?

It's been an issue before, but waaaaay more now. Fucking annoying seeing teammates score 10 or 30 in an entire Attrition match. I sometimes want to ask these people if they even held a game pad before.

Yes, I think TF3 is a very real thing that will happen. EA's goal with the TF brand is to create a new BF, CoD, etc. People (mostly on GAF and other enthusiast forums, etc.) seem to forget that CoD didn't really hit it really, really big until what? CoD4? One can argue that the BF franchise only sold gangbusters with BC2. These are brands that have years upon years of entries and have managed to build up their brands over time. BF couldn't even touch CoD before in terms of sales, but now? Yeah, you can bet your ass EA's happy with the franchise.

I'd say TF will be the same, but at the same time, one wonders whether Respawn wants to create more of it or take a break.

There's a lot of behind the scenes stuff, and other things that most people don't see and don't understand why X thing happened in the first place.

THE BESTEST

The problem I see with that is now you have two Titans with Vortex Shield (and tracking rockets?), unless they come up with a different ability for it.

Well, the track rockets are different.

You dont achieve lock by shooting a main, its just a standard cooldown. Also, you have to paint your targets a la Panzer Dragon. Finally, you can paint both Titan and pilot targets.

Theyd have to balance it obviously. It would be fine to mow down AI minions like you do enemies in the campaign, but I think pilots should survive a single rocket, or be able to break lock fairly easily.

As far as vortex shield, Im fine with two Titans having it.

The most natural scenario, IMO, is that this X0-16 Titan is the ultimate anti-pilot Titan, but a relatively weak Anti-Titan Titan. Effective support damage and pestering, but not enough raw damage output to be much of a threat 1v1 against other titans in all but the most skilled hands.

Of course the other possibility is that one of the kits for this Titan is replacing the X0-16 with the Quad Rocket...

Greddleok

You know what I hate? Fucking ticks. Their explosion is HUGE! I shoot one from across a room and it kills me. Can't predict it at all.

I should just learn to run away from them rather than trying to pop them, but it's not as satisfying.

I also just found out you can shoot the tether that Northstar throws down. What a shitty defensive option if you can just quickly pop it and move on.

Well, the track rockets are different.

You dont achieve lock by shooting a main, its just a standard cooldown. Also, you have to paint your targets a la Panzer Dragon. Finally, you can paint both Titan and pilot targets.

Theyd have to balance it obviously. It would be fine to mow down AI minions like you do enemies in the campaign, but I think pilots should survive a single rocket, or be able to break lock fairly easily.

As far as vortex shield, Im fine with two Titans having it.

The most natural scenario, IMO, is that this X0-16 Titan is the ultimate anti-pilot Titan, but a relatively weak Anti-Titan Titan. Effective support damage and pestering, but not enough raw damage output to be much of a threat 1v1 against other titans in all but the most skilled hands.

Of course the other possibility is that one of the kits for this Titan is replacing the X0-16 with the Quad Rocket...

I'd rather prefer if Respawn came up with new Secondary and Defensive abilities and core for a chaingun Titan. Obviously that may take more development/balancing time than just tweaking what was in the campaign.

I'd rather prefer if Respawn came up with new Secondary and Defensive abilities and core for a chaingun Titan. Obviously that may take more development/balancing time than just tweaking what was in the campaign.

Why OOC?

The secondary and core from the campaign ae currently absent from the MP, and would be unique within that sandbox.

The defensive ability is already in use by Ion, so yeah, I can understand the desire to see something new on that end.

Anybody have any ideas?

Maybe a cloak? Lol

...seriously though, a cloak that cut out as soon as you fired could a tually work on a Titan, especially one designed/tuned for anti-pilot efficacy.

Hope the make the core ability better. Brute core in the campaign was lame, just rapid fire but minus the auto tracking from smart core.

Not sure about Brute core, but the core from the X0-16 in campaign was rapid-fire + amped damage. That would be pretty good in MP IMO.

Why OOC?

The secondary and core from the campaign ae currently absent from the MP, and would be unique within that sandbox.

The defensive ability is already in use by Ion, so yeah, I can understand the desire to see something new on that end.

Anybody have any ideas?

Maybe a cloak? Lol

...seriously though, a cloak that cut out as soon as you fired could a tually work on a Titan, especially one designed/tuned for anti-pilot efficacy.

I think I want them unique because Expedition's burst core and targeting rockets are just variations of Legion's core and Tone's secondary. The thing I love about the different Titans in the MP is that each one really feels unique in all of their abilities.

Definitely easier to say than come up with ideas. I like the cloak idea, but I don't know how effective the ability would be with the Titan's size.

Cloak for Titans would be great but they would have to adjust it so you're not as noticeable as a pilot with cloak :(

Put together a short clip of some cool moments over the last week or so

https://youtu.be/ojfpCEnidBI

Really looking forward to an update on the game. I need some new prime titans and balance tweaks to drive interest again.

Nice
I hopped on for a couple of matches while dinner was going and went back to Ronin for a bit and... its a lot of fun. I often forget the phase shift when Im trapped :/

deoee

that's it? we're getting a roadmap update on friday? where the hell are the balance updates? this is taking way too long to fix the major issues.

Yeah I was hoping for more too but I'm willing to wait for Friday and see what they'll actually be talking about.

Why am I stuck on a worthles, pointless shin-high stairwell baracadE?!?!

What conceiveable fucking purpose does this geometry serve beyond hanging up players in the middle of fire-fights?!

Played 20 matches, havent stayed in one for more than 2 minutes.

Absolute trash matchmaking. Not merely broken. Actively hateful of the player.

Done for the day.

deoee

It's funny that I nearly never get matched with or against absolute garbage players (there's always some but not the whole team usually), Karma?

It's funny that I nearly never get matched with or against absolute garbage players (there's always some but not the whole team usually), Karma?

Possibly.

Im more inclined to attribute it to garbage coders of bad algorithms.

But if youre the spiritual sort, go for it.

deoee

Im not.

I dont care if people die. If they demonstrate a lack of understanding where to go and what to do, thats unacceptable and speaks to a profound failure of game design on multiple levels.

What would you do to counter this?

do you think a forced tutorial would help?
There's already the FAQ in the game which should help with the issue but...

Most players ARE dumb as bread and do not get for example that in Attrition you also can kill the grunts or that you have to kill them in Bounty Hunt.

You can't teach someone who's not willing to listen or learn some "deeper" mechanics and don't even get me started on the Movement system...

What would you do to counter this?

do you think a forced tutorial would help?
There's already the FAQ in the game which should help with the issue but...

Most players ARE dumb as bread and do not get for example that in Attrition you also can kill the grunts or that you have to kill them in Bounty Hunt.

You can't teach someone who's not willing to listen or learn some "deeper" mechanics and don't even get me started on the Movement system...

There is literally nothing deep about learning to read an environment and read off of teammates within that environment.

It takes repetition (to learn the environment and the habitual behaviors if those within it), basic awareness and basic problem solving.

This isnt a videogame thing. Pee-wee soccer and hockey players learn to evaluate the positions of their teamnates, recognize the formations and movements of the opponents and understand where on thr field of play they need to move to in response, be it to cover an opponent or provide an offensive option to creat space for teammates.

Respawn seems to have zero fucks to give as far as teaming the dumb against the dumb and the competent against the competent.

I dont have a perfect solition given the population issues that exist in no small part thanks to the bounce rate of new players off a game with no matchmaking to shelter them an a meta so exploitable that every player with even a hint of time invested will have a marked advantage due to knowing what works (devotion, hemlock, turrets, tone, etc) and what to ignore.

So long as quitting goes unpunished its liveable, but youd think even a modicum of SBMM might help.

But honestly, Im just venting frustration. Im tired of starting every game in 2 or 3 on 1s.

Arttemis

Just got Gen 5.0! Wooo!

EDIT - Regarding SBMM, I wish they'd at least to skill based team-balancing before each match starts. Spread those players with the highest K/D ratios between the teams!

Arrrammis

Just got Gen 5.0! Wooo!

EDIT - Regarding SBMM, I wish they'd at least to skill based team-balancing before each match starts. Spread those players with the highest K/D ratios between the teams!

I feel like they already kinda do this, in 90% of my games there's 1-2 people at the top of each team that have more points than the rest of their team combined. Still, I see stomps often enough (from both sides) that it might just be how the game works and doesn't really show the skill level of teams.

p.s. If both of us start posting in this thread, it's gonna get reeeeeaaaaaally confusing lol

I really hope Respawn implements a system that kicks high pingers. Frustrating deaths because I wasnt able to track them due to the skipping

Top Bottom