• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Koji Igarashi's Castlevania successor be revealed this Monday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
This quote was just too cool not to post actually.

What do you do when you find yourself without a castle? You build another.

He lost his Castle(vania) and IGA always said the Nintendo DS was the last bastion of 2D gaming, it's a cool thing really

Dremark

Banned
Real talk: if there's a Kickstarter, one of the physical rewards has to include some variant of this as a retail box:

98tgag8.jpg

I'd back the shit out of that tier.

That is still like the worst thing ever.

All the Order of Ecclesia love in here...the last good Castlevania game to be made.

I can't really view it as anything other than the last proper game in the series. HoD and Judgement were both crossovers and Lords of Shadow pretended none of the other games existed.

Saying Order of Ecclesia is the best is not wrong, though. Symphony of the Night is fantastic but I still put OoE a bit above it.

Yup. I wonder whose genius idea was to change the characteristic art style from the series to generic anime look in PoR and DoS.

I don;t really understand why it seems to be an accepted fact that SotN is the best game in the series or at least of it's style in the series. I would put several other games above it myself. This isn't to knock it or say it lacks merit, but it certainly is possible not to view it as the top game.

As far as the artstyle goes, I don't know who made the decision but IGA stated it was to appeal to a younger audience. The issue the series went through is that the fanbase separated from the series as they grew older and weren't properly replaced. It didn't help that the games were regulated to handhelds largely either. Needless to say it didn't seem to solve the problem.

Ipos the Irksome is a surprisingly good name, and broadswords were always great weapons.

hnnnnnnnnnnng looks like another Kickstarter has got me by the nostalgia. I'll be backing this for sure.

Dawn of Sorrow's animu garbage was certainly undesirable but it was breathtaking compared to the paint clip art featured in Portrait of Ruin. Has it ever come out how that happened?

Best Castlevania games I've played (no particular order):

Classicvania: Super Castlevania 4, Rondo of Blood

Metroidvania: Symphony of the Night, Aria of Sorrow, Order of Ecclesia.

My Top 5 looks something like:

1. Symphony of the Night
2. Aria of Sorrow
3. Order of Ecclesia
4. Adventure ReBirth
5. Dracula's Curse

Foffy

Banned
What happened today? Someone summarize for me please!

A teaser site for the game went active, with a voting game between sword or whip. As if it needs to be said any clearer: Koji Igarashi's Castlevania successor is real, and will be shown off soon.

I guess we will have to wait for gameplay.

@MUWANdo

Banned
So younger userbases like shitty art styles nowadays? Because I remember liking pretty drawings as a kid.

You have to remember that these games came out at a point where people were worried about the gaming audience shrinking due to players getting older and losing interest, and then couple that with the fact that they were trying to sell a reasonably niche series on a platform that skewed away from that demographic to begin with, so it behooved them to try to appeal to a new audience. It's not like they altered the game in any significant way or tried to "casualise" it or whatever, so it's hard to be too aggrieved by it, I think. (Maybe that's why it didn't really work--they weren't aggressive enough about appealing to a different audience.)

Plus, like I said, Kojima was working on the console games at the time and couldn't split her attention between too many projects, so that took her off the table. It was probably a budget issue, too.

Dr. Buni

Dawn of Sorrow's animu garbage was certainly undesirable but it was breathtaking compared to the paint clip art featured in Portrait of Ruin. Has it ever come out how that happened?
I would easily take the PoR art over the DoS art, but honestly both are really bad so whatever.
I don;t really understand why it seems to be an accepted fact that SotN is the best game in the series or at least of it's style in the series. I would put several other games above it myself. This isn't to knock it or say it lacks merit, but it certainly is possible not to view it as the top game.
It is like Super Metroid being considered the best traditional Metroid by many while at least Zero Mission and Fusion are just as good. I love SotN but I can't really put it ABOVE OoE.
You have to remember that these games came out at a point where people were worried about the gaming audience shrinking due to players getting older and losing interest, and then couple that with the fact that they were trying to sell a reasonably niche series on a platform that skewed away from that demographic to begin with, so it behooved them to try to appeal to a new audience. It's not like they altered the game in any significant way or tried to "casualise" it or whatever, so it's hard to be too aggrieved by it, I think. (Maybe that's why it didn't really work--they weren't aggressive enough about appealing to a different audience.)

Plus, like I said, Kojima was working on the console games at the time and couldn't split her attention between too many projects, so that took her off the table.
I see. That is an interesting point of view.

Voliko

"Your clan will fight other clans for treasure. It is just the way of these things."

I hope this isn't some loot hunting game

Astral Dog

Saying Order of Ecclesia is the best is not wrong, though. Symphony of the Night is fantastic but I still put OoE a bit above it.

Yup. I wonder whose genius idea was to change the characteristic art style from the series to generic anime look in PoR and DoS.
It was because Aria was a bit dissapointing sales wise, so IGA asked the marketing team for advice, giving it an anime look could attract a slightly younger demographic wich was more common on the new DS, that and he said the highly detailed artwork maybe didnt fit as well on a portable like DS.

Dawn was hideous, but i thought it worked a bit better on Portrait of Ruin especially the animated intro, the series had a lot of different art styles over the years so its alright if they decided to experiment a little, good or bad, they did it again with OoE.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Haures the Harsh does not condone whip usage. Due to some shenanigans I am now in the Broadsword clan.

Anyone else get a message about 'the final quarter'?

"The final quarter looms, Ipos the Irksome. It is almost too late."

EDIT: Aheh, asked and answered.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I guess the final quarter is here. Vote tally right now I bet and one out of two things will be revealed depending on which side won.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom