• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale |OT| 100 Players on Epic Battlegrounds

Depends on whether or not you were crouched and still, or standing and moving.

If you're standing and moving, your shots can practically fire sideways from your gun and hit someone standing beside you. But if you were still and\or crouched, then.... that sounds fucky.

Hmm. Okay. Well, I guess I'll just need to keep practicing.

*Splinter

Man, I feel like it's a bit cheap, but whatever. Guess I have to be more careful.

Also, yeah, fuck RNG, though.

Like, okay, I had a Gold SCAR. I was standing like maybe three steps behind a guy. It's me, the guy in front of me, and one other person left. I put the reticle on the guy's head/neck area (I had plenty of time to set up the shot. He had no idea I was standing right behind him.) I fire, and not a single bullet hits him. He turns around and blasts me.

That's a thing that really happened, and I do not feel like it was a failure on my part. Am I crazy, or should I have killed that guy at that proximity and accuracy?
Would be easier to say with video, but yes it's basically your fault. Wrong weapon selection for that range, and aiming for the head instead of centre mass despite knowing the assault rifle's don't have the accuracy for that.

Maybe the first bullet should have hit, can't tell that part without video.

Edit: he was lucky to kill you, but your mistakes left the opportunity for luck to save him.

Would be easier to say with video, but yes it's basically your fault. Wrong weapon selection for that range, and aiming for the head instead of centre mass despite knowing the assault rifle's don't have the accuracy for that.

Maybe the first bullet should have hit, can't tell that part without video.

Edit: he was lucky to kill you, but your mistakes left the opportunity for luck to save him.

Yeah, I guess this is all good reasoning. I need to get better acclimated with the guns and their uses, then.

The AR feels all but useless to me. I rarely get hits from medium to long range. The burst-fire is my go to for those situations. I haven't learned how to calculate the bullet drop from the snipers yet. I've been learning to love the green revolver more and more, as it seems two shots can drop anyone without a shield. And, clearly, the SCAR is something I'm not sure how to use yet either...

Edit: And the scoped AR seems useful, but there have been times where I have the reticle right on someone, standing still, and still miss, but maybe that's a range thing too.

Yeah, I guess this is all good reasoning. I need to get better acclimated with the guns and their uses, then.

The AR feels all but useless to me. I rarely get hits from medium to long range. The burst-fire is my go to for those situations. I haven't learned how to calculate the bullet drop from the snipers yet. I've been learning to love the green revolver more and more, as it seems two shots can drop anyone without a shield. And, clearly, the SCAR is something I'm not sure how to use yet either...

Edit: And the scoped AR seems useful, but there have been times where I have the reticle right on someone, standing still, and still miss, but maybe that's a range thing too.

The ARs are great if you're crouched and not moving. They'll hit more often than not so long as you control your fire. Here I am sniping at a dot in the distance :p

If you have an AR and you have the drop on someone, here's how to proceed. I aimed for the head, but I was also crouched and still before I took my shots.

The ARs are great if you're crouched and not moving. They'll hit more often than not so long as you control your fire. here's how to proceed. I aimed for the head, but I was also crouched and still before I took my shots.

Thanks for the tips. This will surely keep me from getting screamed at by my squadmates

These are all things I'm getting more confident with over time, but I'd suggest watching some high level play on YT/Twitch here and there to get a look at strategies and stuff? I've watched a few of Dakotaz videos on YouTube and he's very good with the bolt action sniper, which has helped me gauge the bullet drop and travel time a little better.

Also, just watching really skilled play helps you develop your strategy in game. I'm using shotguns more after seeing how they're used by better players and I'm using the ARs a little less often as a result.

I'm quickly finding that the key to a successful round is all in the loot phase. If you can pick up one or two shields and a medkit with a shotgun and burst or AR, you're in pretty good shape. From there it's pretty much learning when to build and hunker down and when to run from a fight you can't win.

So I see that the Founders Pack is on sale. Does buying it give any bonuses in Battle Royale at all? Skins or anything like that?

It originally did give a skin for the umbrella/glider but I think that was if you bought it before it went open to everyone.

It's possible there might be more in the future, but right now there is nothing stated afaik.

cucuchu

Looking at trying this out tonight, burned out hard on Destiny 2 (my own fault)...

Is there any reason to purchase any of the bundles for this if all I'm really concerned with is the Battle Royale mode? It looks like they are all primarily for the primary game and have nothing to do with the Battle Royale. EDIT: Sorry, someone literally just asked the same question in the post above before I posted myself. Looks like a No.

Okay. Can anyone tell me what went wrong here? Was it my erratic swaying? To me, it looks like the second grenade should clear the tree, but it knocks back in my direction.

Forgive the quality, I didn't feel like going through the process of getting the vid off the PS4
https://streamable.com/w4hvb

*Splinter

https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/921071216940732416

They're changing medium ammo back to 10 per pick up, based on "community feedback". Well, I was looking at that twitter thread and there were 300+ responses and only a handful, like maybe 3 I saw, actually like the change. I think this is dumb as hell and epic is making a big mistake.
Surprising but I'm glad tbh. I think the game is more interesting when resources are scarce. It's a little too easy to be fully stocked on everything ATM, which leads to every game feeling similar.

https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/921071216940732416

They're changing medium ammo back to 10 per pick up, based on "community feedback". Well, I was looking at that twitter thread and there were 300+ responses and only a handful, like maybe 3 I saw, actually like the change. I think this is dumb as hell and epic is making a big mistake.

Last night I was ending rounds with 500+ AR ammo. It was getting a little ridiculous.

I don't really mind because I had that ammo from killing a lot of dudes, but still. I never had an issue with AR ammo before they made that change.

But you don't have a carry capacity so you can just grab infinite ammo. That becomes an issue in squads because everyone will just grab up any ammo they see... so it can become scarce. Teammates have to spend more time sharing their ammo. I don't think increasing the amount per stack was fixing the issue and resulted in a ton of excess ammo in solos.

jacobs34

This is the first BR game that really grabbed my interest. Being able to build gives this game a dynamic feel that was just missing with H1Z1 and PubG. It's also impressive to see the people at Epic be able to iterate on the game as fast as they have. I know a bunch of people who are playing this on console right now, and I wonder how many concurrent people they have playing across all platforms, it's got to be a huge number.

There's an external site for tracking stats.

https://fortnitetracker.com/profile/pc/jim2point0

It shows some additional stats that you could figure out with some basic math, but it's nice to be able to see them outside of the game as well.

Not sure why but this site does not find my details, understand it does not show consoles usernames (as per notes on the site) but when I try the 'Display Name' I use for the EPIC site and doubled checked my account is linked to my PSN account it still does not find me.
Weird.

Just downloaded on Xbox One. Tried two different matches, and both times almost everything was entirely black when I loaded into the game. Couldn’t see a thing. Anyone else encountered this?

Edit: Closed the game, and rebooted it. It is working fine now.

Not sure why but this site does not find my details, understand it does not show consoles usernames (as per notes on the site) but when I try the 'Display Name' I use for the EPIC site and doubled checked my account is linked to my PSN account it still does not find me.
Weird.

Make sure you click the symbol for your console, then search the Epic user name.

Just did a dirty bastard solo run lol. Built a cheeky little fort off the side of the NE cliff. The circle kept falling on me so I sat outside in a bush to try and bait people. No one showed up. Circle moved west. Built another little structure with what I had left and hid in another bush. Some dude saw the structure and as he walked towards it I picked him off from the bush. Circle moved west again. Crept along the cliff into it, and waited for the final person to pop their head up.

Fuy8rEw.jpg

Mahonay

Banned
Just did a dirty bastard solo run lol. Built a cheeky little fort off the side of the NE cliff. The circle kept falling on me so I sat outside in a bush to try and bait people. No one showed up. Circle moved west. Built another little structure with what I had left and hid in another bush. Some dude saw the structure and as he walked towards it I picked him off from the bush. Circle moved west again. Crept along the cliff into it, and waited for the final person to pop their head up.
That's a strong bush-game son.

Yesterday in a Duos match my friend and I won, I had someone stare directly at the bush I was in for a couple seconds before I shot him in the face. It never stops being funny. We also amassed two gold rocket launchers off of other teams by the end and just rained a non-stop rockets on the last team. The cheapest of cheap wins.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
So instead of fixing the game in areas in desperate need of it, they fuck up the controls to make them feel like you're stuck in syrup trying to aim.

Even when you adjust them to full sensitivity they're garbage now.

Wtf is wrong with Epic?

So instead of fixing the game in areas in desperate need of it, they fuck up the controls to make them feel like you're stuck in syrup trying to aim.

Wtf is wrong with Epic?

I can't get the aimed movement to change no matter what sensitivity I set either at. It's broken for me now. WTH is going on.

That's a strong bush-game son.

Yesterday in a Duos match my friend and I won, I had someone stare directly at the bush I was in for a couple seconds before I shot him in the face. It never stops being funny. We also amassed two gold rocket launchers off of other teams by the end and just rained a non-stop rockets on the last team. The cheapest of cheap wins.

Thanks! I love the bush game lol. Too stronk

Wtf is wrong with Epic?
They're actually better controls now... You just have to adjust the sliders to better fit aiming, targeting and aiming while scoped. Make sure you hit "apply" or they won't save.

Ok, the honeymoon is now over.

As above, the scoped AR is broken. There is no way I'll ever pick it up now.

Shotguns are a joke. Their range is ridiculous. Instant kills from over 10 feet is not right. Nor is the sheer amount of them available. The green tactical shotgun is surely the most available gun in the game, but its damage can out class many weapons. By all logic pistols should deal massive damage at close range and would require more skill. And shotguns should only be effective at extreme close ranges. And don't get me started on people jumping while shooting.

The storm needs overhauling. It really adds salt to the wounds that you can't see much beyond the storm and have no idea what's on the other side. The circle placement is almost always predictable. And I suspect it's not even randomised, but based on the proximity of players. The more players in an area, the more the game wants to push them further away.

Lastly, I'm surprised no one has mentioned this over the last few days, but chests have been nerfed. I've had one purple weapon in a chest over the last 50+ games. The best you'll get is blue weapons and shield potions. I've found better weapons in random places. It can't be luck, I've opened hundreds of chests.

Also, my stats are still missing 5 wins.

Mahonay

Banned
Thanks! I love the bush game lol. Too stronk

They're actually better controls now... You just have to adjust the sliders to better fit aiming, targeting and aiming while scoped. Make sure you hit "apply" or they won't save.
I will say on console the controls feel better, to me a least. But yeah, you absolutely need to turn up your sensitivity post-patch.

*Splinter

Ok, the honeymoon is now over.

As above, the scoped AR is broken. There is no way I'll ever pick it up now.

Shotguns are a joke. Their range is ridiculous. Instant kills from over 10 feet is not right. Nor is the sheer amount of them available. The green tactical shotgun is surely the most available gun in the game, but its damage can out class many weapons. By all logic pistols should deal massive damage at close range and would require more skill. And shotguns should only be effective at extreme close ranges. And don't get me started on people jumping while shooting.

The storm needs overhauling. It really adds salt to the wounds that you can't see much beyond the storm and have no idea what's on the other side. The circle placement is almost always predictable. And I suspect it's not even randomised, but based on the proximity of players. The more players in an area, the more the game wants to push them further away.

Lastly, I'm surprised no one has mentioned this over the last few days, but chests have been nerfed. I've had one purple weapon in a chest over the last 50+ games. The best you'll get is blue weapons and shield potions. I've found better weapons in random places. It can't be luck, I've opened hundreds of chests.

Also, my stats are still missing 5 wins.
I think I disagree with every single part of this post :p

Scoped AR is the best gun in the game, pistol is crazy underrated (although I admit I still choose a shotgun over it), shotguns work great in their intended range which is quite short, and I've been getting better loot than normal over the last few days.

No idea on the circle I guess, but then why does it even matter? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Honeymoon long past for solo games. They're just not fun. Every death is from someone behind me or because I found nothing good. It's entirely luck.

Duos is only fun thing now.

groansey

Tried a couple of games. Pointless without footstep audio. The whole point of BR is securing and camping an area and cautiously moving to a better position. If you can't hear people then it may as well be random deaths.

Honeymoon long past for solo games. They're just not fun. Every death is from someone behind me or because I found nothing good. It's entirely luck.

I dunno. I have 65 hours in solos and find them quite fun.

The only thing that REALLY gets on my nerves is the hitscan + RNG gunplay.

Oh, and the scoped AR is still amazing.

I still get plenty of purple weapons from chests, too. Mostly the scar.

Tried a couple of games. Pointless without footstep audio. The whole point of BR is securing and camping an area and cautiously moving to a better position. If you can't hear people then it may as well be random deaths.

You can hear people? Like... I always know when I'm running near someone. Or when someone is running up to my fort.

Crouch walking is damn near completely silent though.

Hoodbury

If you can't hear people you might need to check your audio settings. Everything you do in this game unless you're hiding in a bush makes loud noises.

I wear headphones, but I can 100% hear people. I could hear a dude shuffling in a shack that was a good 10 feet away. He was crouch walking and I could hear it.

I think I disagree with every single part of this post :p

Scoped AR is the best gun in the game, pistol is crazy underrated (although I admit I still choose a shotgun over it), shotguns work great in their intended range which is quite short, and I've been getting better loot than normal over the last few days.

No idea on the circle I guess, but then why does it even matter? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The scoped AR is literally broken, as in you can't aim it. The scope on snipers work perfectly.

You just agreed with me on shotguns...? Who would drop a shotgun for any pistol? In fact, I don't use either anymore since I started using the burst rifle. And a shotguns range is not short, they are deadly over 10 feet, and in my opinion that's 5 feet too far.

And the circle matters, because everyone knows where they're going long before the circle even closes.

When I say the honeymoon is over, I don't mean I'm going to stop, I love it. I'm just not going to ignore all the flaws anymore.

Getting shit loot drops from chests is just confirmation bias. I've definitely gotten some good stuff recently, haven't noticed a difference.

RNG is RNG.
Footsteps are extremely loud in this game. You may need to check your audio setup.

Hoodbury

And the circle matters, because everyone knows where they're going long before the circle even closes.
I don't get what you mean, how do you know where the circle is going? I played a game I won, then 2 games later the circle pattern was almost the same. I got into the same bush I was in where I won before but then the circle moved to a different spot in this next game. How would I have predicted it would have been where it went?

I literally had never seen a blue burst AR until today. Too bad I died right after so never had a chance to use it but still sweet.
Best gun in the game.

Does crouching make you more venerable to head shots because I've been one shot more times then i can count when i crouch? I feel like when i stand i can take more damage for some reason.

Still haven't won once in solo. I can consistently get to the top 10, and tonight I've placed second twice, but that last kill just never works out somehow. The RNG weapon spread doesn't really help either...

Top Bottom