• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal Demo Impressions

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm new to the series and I found controls to be not usual and too complicated. I haven't tried the classic control scheme though. If it has accelerate binded to X or R2 I'm fine. If not - wtf?

BeeDog

I don't understand why so many seem to have difficulty grasping [] as the Accelerate button. I mean, your right thumb crosses X, and X is vital to maneuvering so it's only natural that X is easily accessible.

RagnarokX

That's what I don't get either. The default controls make it easiest to quick turn, and gives you best access to your weapons. The only difficult thing is braking/reversing with circle.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
that's because I use X to accelerate in Wipeout and square to handbrake in Motorstorm. Other racers use the right trigger to accelerate. Also as I vaguely remember some arcade racers use X to accelerate too. Why? Because accelerating is a more basic function than handbrakes and X is usually a more important button than square (press X to ... ).

Yeah but the controls currently let you accelerate + sharp turn + jump + be shooting left/right at the same time. Your finger is obviously supposed to be over the square and X at the same time platformer style. You can hold down the square and press your thumb down to hit X and do pretty skillful quick turns. I don't see how you can really make the controls better / more convenient for this specific game. I don't have a problem with them adding custom mapping - but I don't see how you could make it better.

Those are racers, this is car combat.

I use [] a lot....and use X together in order to quick turn. Being an old TM player, the classic controls make sense to me.

Although, I do hope that the ability to configure your own controls will be available....so that people out there can enjoy it more.

Yeah but the controls currently let you accelerate + sharp turn + jump + be shooting left/right at the same time. Your finger is obviously supposed to be over the square and X at the same time platformer style. You can hold down the square and press your thumb down to hit X and do pretty skillful quick turns. I don't see how you can really make the controls better for this specific game.

Seriously. It all feels very simple and tight to me even after something like 8 years of not having played a TM game. I tried the Race controls and I don't see any reason for acceleration to be on these terribad PS3 shoulder buttons. Quick turning + jumping + shooting both weapons at the same time is crucial to how I play.

Triz

Just got back from the launch event. Played 16 player LAN matches almost the whole night , time not in the huge LAN was playing 4 player split screen that was amazingly awesome. This thing is the real deal. I lOved every mInute of the gameplay. Brings something back to the table that has been missing for years.

Won a custom set of twisted metal Sony 7.1 headphones that David signed for me. Such a great event and thanks for being so humble with the fans David.

Played a bit of this last night. Control layout was weird at first. Managed to beat challenge mode without too much trouble using the chopper. You really just need to go after those health packs.

TM is just as fun as I remember it.

I'm more surprised with the people complaining about the Challenge mode being too challenging.

i think those people miss the point that it is a challenge mode, not a quick singleplayer match free for all. (this should have been marked more clearly in the demo, like gray out the campaign and quick match and only have the challenge mode available with training)

Holy crap, just heard Heavy Metal on the soundtrack in a MP game. So good. Jaffe, you really hit it out of the park with this soundtrack. I hope there's some classic TM tunes in there, though! (LA TM2 please)

Triz

We need pics of this!! Pretty please!

shitty iphone pics with my kids toys in the background...

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

If the story mode gets a positive reception this'll be a day one buy for me. The trailers look promising, but only 4 characters is disappointing. I hope they put a lot of work into each one.

Bukana

This game is pure awesome, it is just what I expected as a next-step from Black.

My only wish is that they bring Twister as a DLC because she will be perfect for this rather than Black, but I guess it being 30FPS is the reason she and Rear View isn't included in the game. Also, if they could bring some dark levels from Black, they had their own "feeling" to the game.

Guys, check out the website, it's awesome-r than any other official game website I've seen.

sunsprings,_ca.jpg

Destroy the following:
-Small gas storage tanks
-Large gas storage tanks (blow them up to create new pathways)
-Base buildings

P.S. Who is doing the OT !? If no one is doing it, I would like to do it :).

Badass headphones. I'm reading it as "Shut up & Bleed You Motherf*ck" lmao

Yeah but the controls currently let you accelerate + sharp turn + jump + be shooting left/right at the same time. Your finger is obviously supposed to be over the square and X at the same time platformer style. You can hold down the square and press your thumb down to hit X and do pretty skillful quick turns. I don't see how you can really make the controls better / more convenient for this specific game. I don't have a problem with them adding custom mapping - but I don't see how you could make it better.

Pretty much this^ Seems like this needs to be quoted on every page along with Challenge Mode = Challenging.

My hands naturally rested that way once I figured out what each button does. I do agree about the Reverse button being on Circle being a bit sluggish, but i've quickly adapted to using the Right Analog-Stick/R3. Its much easier on the thumbs and this makes it a hell of a lot easier to pull the 'ol 180-reverse-turbo to missile against the fool chasing me.

Endo Punk

I can't see myself supporting a gimped version of Twisted Metal so I will not be purchasing the game. And Jaffe wonders why the series has never worked in the EU. Well money saved.

Pranay_ is set to make the OT.

Maybe we should suggest |OT| names?

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play.
Twisted Metal |OT| Car Combat Returns!
Twisted Metal |OT| Shut up & Bleed You Motherf*ck

Bukana

I think someone has already volunteer for Twisted Metal OT according to the thread on the community side. You should check with them to see if you can contribute as well.

Thanks, never knew there was such a thread.

Maybe we should suggest |OT| names?

Twisted Metal |OT| Perfect, but where the hell is Twister !?
lol, here's the real one:

Twisted Metal |OT| Lead or be Nuked.

Twisted Metal |OT| Speed. Strategy. Skill. It's Good to be Back.

Twisted Metal lOTl Thus Completes the Ultimate Ass-Kicking

Both references to the reveal trailer.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Ended up coming in 3rd place in the San Fran tourny; got my choice of some cool artwork they had hanging on the walls, good stuff! They were giving away these tables that were scattered around the floor as the event closed down so I snagged one as well... at the time I thought they applied Twisted Metal stickers to them, but when I got home I realized the design is actually carved into the wood; fucking awesome. The Sweet Tooth trophy thing is really nice as well, seems like it's ceramic with a heavy base. And of course an early copy of the game is damn nice to get my hands on.

I'll take some pics of my haul and post them tomorrow!

Big thanks to Jaffe and Sony for throwing an awesome event and being so cool about hanging around and chatting with fans.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Ended up coming in 3rd place in the San Fran tourny; got my choice of some cool artwork they had hanging on the walls, good stuff! They were giving away these tables that were scattered around the floor as the event closed down so I snagged one as well... at the time I thought they applied Twisted Metal stickers to them, but when I got home I realized the design is actually carved into the wood; fucking awesome. The Sweet Tooth trophy thing is really nice as well, seems like it's ceramic with a heavy base. And of course an early copy of the game is damn nice to get my hands on.

Big thanks to Jaffe and Sony for throwing an awesome event and being so cool about hanging around and chatting with fans.

nice cant wait to see the stuff you nabbed

-Winnie-

This is the first time I've played Twisted Metal since PS1, so I didn't really know what to expect.
Controls weirded me out, but once I figured out what X did, it clicked and felt much better.
The game is goddamn smooth, and the combat is a lot of fun. Jaffe and team did well.

Your finger is obviously supposed to be over the square and X at the same time platformer style.

Wow, I love the classic controls and platfromers so I don't know why I never put two and two together. I just came from Rayman: Origins and held square and tapped X majority of the time. People really need to quit comparing Twisted Metal to a racer, it is more comparable to a shooter or dare I say even a platformer (you need to scale buildings and destroy things to uncover hidden things similar to a platformer).

Better yet it is it's own genre, Car Combat, and for that the classic control scheme works perfect.

SykoTech

That's what I don't get either. The default controls make it easiest to quick turn, and gives you best access to your weapons. The only difficult thing is braking/reversing with circle.

Yep. Despite being used to the control scheme of old Twisted Metal games, I found the default controls here to be easier to grasp. Reversing isn't something I spend much (or any) time doing in a TM game anyway.

Finally got too play online(2hours), and it was the best online experience I've had this generation as far as a competitive experience. It was smooth and fast the controls are superb(racing controls).

ONE BIG F'ING WOW!!!!

Will this game have custom soundtracks on and off line?

Owensboro

I'm more surprised with the people complaining about the Challenge mode being too challenging.

Me neither man. I guess they should have included whatever the first level of the single player was in the demo just so people would have something [that I assume is] stupidly easy to beat on your first try.

Hey, people complaining. It's a Challenge mode. Everyone doesn't win. Everyone doesn't get a trophy. It's 6 on 1. You're supposed to lose. Keep that in mind, get used to the controls, and then when you beat those 6 ganging up assholes pump your goddamn fist in the air and scream your favorite lyrics to Dragula ("Devil on your back, I CAN NEVER DIE.")

Then, because it's so goddamn fun, load it up again with a different character and try again.

Some impressions from the SF event have been posted on TM Alliance

Vehicle impressions

Sweet Tooth: ghost missile is super delicate and gets shot down really easily. Couldn't get any of the bot weapons to work (slams/dash) but I did figure out how to fly. Controls really well.

Kamikaze: This car is a beast. Slightly slower than Crimson, with a weaker flamethrower, the coolest thing is the EMP shockwave which just silences everything happening around you. Pretty deep AA bar as well. Could do two freezes in a row.

Roadkill: Slower than DW. Special operates differently, and I couldnt really get it to work.

Roadboat: Cool car, but the build they were using here is different from the final build apparently. His magnet was pretty much useless here since it took too long to get enemies to stick, and it didnt do enough damage.

Shadow: Feels slower than I remember Shadow being. Special is nice and moves quick. Does 20 damage midrange.

http://temp.tmalliance.com/?num=1327521837/60

AAK

Has it been confirmed whether or not you can play the campaign split screen or online? I know the competitive multiplayer supports it, but I wanna know if it's there for the scenario as well.

Triz

Good Job on that 3rd place Vilam. I had too hard a time getting into the tourney to give it enough shots at competing. Post pics of the loot cause I want to see what art you chose. Couldnt believe people wanted the game more than the stuff you cant buy at the event. I was worried about the parking lot closing on me so I bailed right after the last art drawing. Would have stayed if I knew I had a chance at those tables lol.

Helscream

Banned
Twisted Metal |OT| Metal Up Your Ass!

Twisted Metal |OT| Shut up and bleed you motha.....

Twisted Metal |OT| It's good to be back.

Mikey Jr.

Finally got into a MP game...game locks up during loading screen. :thumbsup

I got into an MP game of Deathmatch.

Starts with 4 people.

2 people leave. I "win". Goes back to title screen.

Cannot get back into a game. "Matchmaking error"

Top Bottom