• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fighting Game Noob Thread: From Scrub to Master

Lolacious

Neo Member
Oh, one other thing...

8: Don't be a Ken / Ryu / Akuma player. Everyone else hates those people.

I actually think starting to learn SF with Ryu is the best possible way to start, then branch out to other characters.

Mostly because Ryu has a very balanced set of options, other characters can be more focused on offence, defense, or maybe they excel from certain ranges etc.

I actually think starting to learn SF with Ryu is the best possible way to start, then branch out to other characters.

Mostly because Ryu has a very balanced set of options, other characters can be more focused on offence, defense, or maybe they excel from certain ranges etc.

Ryu is the way to go if you wanna learn SF

Consider the position I was in. I haven't played dozens of hours of SFIV like all the people I got matched against presumably did. The SFV beta (unless they've changed it since I first tried it) only had online play and a few seconds of training between matches. I had no time to practice anything. My mistake was going in blind to something that was pretty unwelcoming to noobs like me.

It's a beta. Only diehards care about betas. The beta isn't about making things more comfortable for new players. It's about curating an environment for stable online play and what works for the game systems. You were going to be losing anyways because of that. Wait for SFV to come out. USFIV now has barely any new people or lower level players because the game is old. Right now it's mostly vets and intermediates, but that's the precisely the best time to learn the game. You won't necessarily learn much playing people your level. You'll win sometimes, sure. But you'll also possibly grow bad habits and be road locked in terms of skill to a point where there's no point of return and you won't grow. If you want to win, wait for SFV. If you want to learn the game so that when you're playing SFV and win through sheer merit, get USFIV.

Make no mistake. You will lose in USFIV. But if you are surrounded by a healthy and fostering group of players you will grow ten fold.

Essentially, if you're scared of losing, you'll never get better. Just a simple reality.

Yeah, "don't play shotos" is a load of scrub cockadooky. Pick who clicks with you, but refusing to play Ryu when he could help you learn the game is a grave mistake.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I have to get a misconception out of the way. You don't need to play the game an insane number of hours to get good at it. To be the best player? Sure, you're going to need a lot more dedication, otherwise don't bother for now. The reason I say this is because newcomers try to absorb as much as they can when playing a new game and don't let their mind coherently organize what they are doing so all of it becomes really confusing/frustrating when trying to regurgitate what was learned.

Here's an analogy:

Let's say you are trying to lift weights and want good form on your squat. Its not recommended to go on for an hour or two perfecting form (unless you are an Olympic lifter, which is an extreme case as stated above about being the best and having loads of experience), so instead you start on an empty barbell and try your best to at least complete a couple sets without tilting to either side. After a week, you try adding 10 pounds to the barbell and slowly rise while keeping your form in check. Fast forward 2 months, you've added 80 pounds and have pretty nice form compared to the poor lad that didn't know any better and pulled his loin while squatting (happened to me when I first started working out) vigorously without breaks or proper form.

From the analogy above, we can see that the person who starts out knowing their limit and gradually adds more work will see improvements compared to doing the most that you can in one seating. Here's another example, what I'm doing now is just playing 3rd Strike on FightCade around 30 minutes a day, not too bad in terms of time, could be a little more. Been playing for three days straight and I've seen improvement in learning how to use a fight stick, transitioning from controller isn't the easiest thing. Now notice, the baby steps being taken to get to the destination, which is mastery of inputs on a fight stick, instead of wearing my hands out and not understanding/remembering how to do inputs within a short amount of time. This method doesn't overwork your mind, which can be seen as a muscle to make it easier to understand, and allows you to easily understand what's happening. Sure its slow, however, no one became good at something instantly without first learning how to take baby steps, unless the person is a prodigy, which is clearly not the case here for any of us. Last sentence sounded a little harsh but as you progress, you'll notice the world is a much bigger place with ridiculously intelligent players.

TL;DR

Don't go crazy playing the game for hours on end, dedicate the time that you can and just try to have fun, that's the whole reason why we all here got into fighting game in the first place. After playing the game for a while, you'll have a better understanding of what you need to work on so it is there where you can start building yourself as a fighting game player.

Yeah, "don't play shotos" is a load of scrub cockadooky. Pick who clicks with you, but refusing to play Ryu when he could help you learn the game is a grave mistake.

Hmmmm.... where have I heard not playing Ryu as a beginner could be a mistake?

Funny thing about this thread is that I JUST started a series of YouTube videos called Back in The Saddle where I'm relearning how to play fighting games after taking a long hiatus from my last major tournament. Learning from the ground up using resources and other people for once instead of just relying on my own knowledge mainly has been really fun. Analyzing my own matches is fun and illuminating as well.

Using my experience in learning SF for the first time to be a better FG player in general and then taking my knowledge from playing Tekken
(which is no where to be found in this thread FIX that OP, a lot of people still play TTT2 on PS3 and the TTT2 thread is active)
into decreasing the amount of time spent having to practice.

Really dope thread.

Links to my videos as they could provide insight into higher level thinking and if anyone can help or needs any help don't be afraid to hit me up

Introduction
Video one focusing on Tekken(my main game) pretty much where I feel like I left off learning wise.
Video two is me beginning in SF proper

I have a "special" dealing with the recent SFV beta and then going into my third game MKX.

TTTT still active? I haven't heard about that game at the tourney level in a while and assumed it was dead.

Thanks, will look into those. Can we use this thread to look for Fightcade noobs just like me? I don't like getting destroyed by the pros all the time :/

Of course! I play on fightcade too. What games you play?

Mizerman

Yup. Ryu is the gateway to start off with in SF. Getting your feet wet in a way.

Man, Feb. 16 can't come soon enough.

mollipen

No, they're good characters to start with (just don't stay with them forever!), and I don't really hate Ken/Ryu/Akuma players. I'm just so, so, so tired of seeing them after all of these years. And so tired of seemingly fighting nothing but them in USFIV.

Platy

What do you guys think about Trials on SF4 and 3 ?

Are they usefull ? Are they good ?

Also, what is your finger motion while doing a shoryuken ?
Z ? Inverse G ?

Ryu is the best to start ....unless you are in smash than he is one of the last ones =P

vulva

Z ? Inverse G ?

Ryu is the best to start ....unless you are in smash than he is one of the last ones =P

Trials are mostly useless, to be honest. They're often times things you'll never use and just an exercise in execution. Usually you're better to go to youtube and look up what some good combos are for a character and work on those instead of the trial ones. They end up being impractical combos that you'll never use.

That said, they can help you improve your execution since you have a high execution goal to try to attain, so they're not without some merit.

I can't answer the finger thing since I use stick and pad scares and confuses me now :(

I'd also love some scrubby Vampire Savior friends. :)

Z ? Inverse G ?

Inverse...G? What's that?

Cindi, Gootecks' Excellent Adventures with Xavier Woods is also a fairly educational video series from a newbie point-of-view worth adding in the OP. Helped out a couple of people I know (mostly as an entry point) and their chemistry is entertaining.

I see no mention of Killer Instinct in the Op.

Killer instinct 13 (Xbox One) easily has the best tutorial mode I've played in any fighter so far.
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution probably still has the best tutorial hands down in how it actively corrects the player if you're doing something wrong and in how much it teaches, but in terms of recent offerings it's been slim pickings. Aside from Killer Instinct, there's Skullgirls and... that's about it.

I'd like to record some of my matches but the USF4 uploader is awful for me, also I'd like to record some Kof13 and Fightcade. Any tips?

KOF13, I'd probably say fraps. Fightcade, fraps doesn't work, so I use bandicam.
Fraps is junk (resource hog and outdated) and Bandicam is rather light on options, though servicable. Open Broadcast Software is accessible enough with a sufficient amount of options and isn't too demanding with the right codec / amount of bitrate. Here's a handy (albeit old) guide from Team Liquid to fill others in on how to record footage.

cdyhybrid

Subbing as Cloud has renewed my interest in Smash Bros. I think one of the biggest issues I have is that I have trouble with middle-ground joystick inputs - short jumps, tilt attacks, etc. I often end up pushing the stick all the way in the heat of the match, triggering a full jump or a smash attack that leaves me wide open.

I have a feeling that switching to a GC controller (currently using the Wii U controller) would help with that - I think the Wii U controller is good enough but I don't feel entirely comfortable with it.

Renekton

Ryu is the way to go if you wanna learn SF
I don't think Ryu is the best intro character. Him being balanced in all levels of play makes for good reference point, but not as beginner's guide. Worse still in SFV his fireball game will create a beginner's trap with the wealth of anti-fireball options.

A good beginner character probably needs more comfort normals and a strong go-to special.

Subbing as Cloud has renewed my interest in Smash Bros. I think one of the biggest issues I have is that I have trouble with middle-ground joystick inputs - short jumps, tilt attacks, etc. I often end up pushing the stick all the way in the heat of the match, triggering a full jump or a smash attack that leaves me wide open.

I have a feeling that switching to a GC controller (currently using the Wii U controller) would help with that - I think the Wii U controller is good enough but I don't feel entirely comfortable with it.
Speaking as someone who has struggled with basic inputs before despite my familiarity with the series, the Wii U Pro Controller's analog sticks are poo-poo for Smash specifically. Switching over to the GameCube controller (which I hadn't touched in a decade) made a world of difference with regards to improving my overall accuracy. Mapping tilt attacks to the second analog stick in the Options menu was also beneficial to me.

Lolacious

Neo Member
No, they're good characters to start with (just don't stay with them forever!), and I don't really hate Ken/Ryu/Akuma players. I'm just so, so, so tired of seeing them after all of these years. And so tired of seemingly fighting nothing but them in USFIV.
I'm personally tired of Blankas lol (I'm thankful he's not on SFV).

Z ? Inverse G ?
I think trials can help your execution.
I got WAY better on parries with the 3rd Strike Trials, doing them over and over and Trials in SF4 are useful to practice links.

My shoryuken finger motion is a Z.

Great OP. I've been playing fighting games for a little over a year, so i'm pretty new to the genre. I play USF4 on PS4/Steam(not as much on steam) and some Smash 4. If anyone is ever up for some games feel free to add me. To contribute to the thread, here's a link to one of my favorite content creators in the fgc Bafael. Who at the moment primarily focuses on SF4/V content. Check out his SF4 general tutorials if you're interested.

Marz

Iirc Juicebox said Guy was the best character to learn SF4 with.

I cant remember why.

Also im not a noob at fighting games, but im really scrubby at anime fighters so if anyone wants to help me out with GG, BB, P4A, Uniel etc. I would greatly appreciate it.

Sayad

I
Inverse...G? What's that?
A 360. It's how some Capcom games write them in command list.
P4qGTEp.png

FirLocke

Amazing thread. Subbed immediately!

Been playing Smash and Soul Calibur for years, but am now looking to get into Tekken, Street Fighter and King of Fighters as well.

I am very good at fighting games (in addition to being both humble and attractive).

My problem is I can't seem to like USFIV, which is a bit of a pity.

Mainly I can't forgive it for not being 3rd Strike. I enjoyed SFII back in the day but have no nostalgia for its cheesiness. People I respect say SFIV is undeniably excellent, so I do believe the game is a good one. But every time I pick it up, suck, can't parry, and cringe throughout the presentation, I wonder why I spent that money.

Owning a stick would probably help a great deal, but I'd never sneak it past my wife.

I gues I'm posting in case anyone has a hopeful anecdote of coming through a similar patch to actually enjoy the game.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Is there a tl;dr op?
The nutmeat of learning a fighter isn't hard at all.

Learn the basics of the game you want to play. (Defense, movement, normals, special moves, the core mixup mechanics etc.)

Then learn your best damage options. (Usually combos fill this role.)

Then play a ton of people to figure out how to best apply your basics and damage (combos) in a pressure scenario. Lots of trial and error's gonna happen. Just gotta break through that wall.

I don't think Ryu is the best intro character. Him being balanced in all levels of play makes for good reference point, but not as beginner's guide. Worse still in SFV his fireball game will create a beginner's trap with the wealth of anti-fireball options.

A good beginner character probably needs more comfort normals and a strong go-to special.

In Street Fighter, all you really need to get a character as a beginner is to recognize the basic strategy that the character's built for. Throw Sonic booms a lot with Guile and learn when to anti air for example, and you're already pretty annoying. Getting better from there is using that core character strategy as a framework to augment your game with the right tools to offset any weaknesses that you see developing. Because even if there are ways around a character's core tactics, the other player still has to deal with them and imposing those strategies is your job as a player.

Neff

Identifying a character's strengths/weaknesses, and how they abuse/hide them is the first step to understanding how fighters work. Refining execution is always going to be a long-haul process, but learning that you don't jump on Ken, or that Athena is a keepaway god, and taking it from there, is priceless information that you learn in minutes and is relevant to the rest of your fighting career.

It really does pay to look at things simply at first.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Consider the position I was in. I haven't played dozens of hours of SFIV like all the people I got matched against presumably did. The SFV beta (unless they've changed it since I first tried it) only had online play and a few seconds of training between matches. I had no time to practice anything. My mistake was going in blind to something that was pretty unwelcoming to noobs like me.

Yes, it's an unenviable poition to be in, I know. We've all had similar experiences at one point or another. I completely understand the feelings that would make anyone want to uninstall after getting whupped 10 times in a row.

Keep in mind the when the online is fully functional, it'll try to match you with people of the same skill level.

But anyway, getting thrown into the deep end of the pool is just one of the ways in which we learn to swim. It might not be the most effective method, but it's an experience that can steel yourself to endure future hardships more easily. Or it can be completely disheartening. I'd say to try your best to learn to endure that kind of a cutthroat environment, but I completely understand if doesn't work for you at all.

vulva

Yes, it's an unenviable poition to be in, I know. We've all had similar experiences at one point or another. I completely understand the feelings that would make anyone want to uninstall after getting whupped 10 times in a row.

Keep in mind the when the online is fully functional, it'll try to match you with people of the same skill level.

But anyway, getting thrown into the deep end of the pool is just one of the ways in which we learn to swim. It might not be the most effective method, but it's an experience that can steel yourself to endure future hardships more easily. Or it can be completely disheartening. I'd say to try your best to learn to endure that kind of a cutthroat environment, but I completely understand if doesn't work for you at all.
Reminds me of when 4 came out and it was one dollar to play at the arcade. Waiting around for twenty minutes to finally get a chance to play, watching everything everyone did and finally getting a turn only to barely get a hit in. Then put down another dollar and wait for a chance to maybe get a round at best.

Renekton

old school tutorial video haha

In Street Fighter, all you really need to get a character as a beginner is to recognize the basic strategy that the character's built for. Throw Sonic booms a lot with Guile and learn when to anti air for example, and you're already pretty annoying.
It is easy for a beginner player to formulate a playstyle with Guile because sonic booms are safe and his normals are good. Players can draw the connection with his safe booms and normals to poke or AA.

Ryu doesn't have an obvious go-to strategy because nothing in his arsenal is extremely effective or safe. I would say he is a good intermediate character because it will force the player to learn every matchup, not a good beginner character.

Noaloha

Might be nice to organise a ScrubGAF lobby for (whatever game), with low skill players mixed with one or two experienced players. Could even stream it for the others in the thread so they can give live advice, critique, praise.

vocab

I am very good at fighting games (in addition to being both humble and attractive).

Mainly I can't forgive it for not being 3rd Strike. I enjoyed SFII back in the day but have no nostalgia for its cheesiness. People I respect say SFIV is undeniably excellent, so I do believe the game is a good one. But every time I pick it up, suck, can't parry, and cringe throughout the presentation, I wonder why I spent that money.

Owning a stick would probably help a great deal, but I'd never sneak it past my wife.

I gues I'm posting in case anyone has a hopeful anecdote of coming through a similar patch to actually enjoy the game.

I have bought and played every version of sfiv and to this day I still do not enjoy playing it. I have probably played up to a thousand hours across all versions and it feels so unnatural every time I touch it. I tried, but I can't enjoy it.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

it's okay to not like street fighter

If you've ever been interested in Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, or games of that ilk, but felt too intimidated by the plethora of mechanics or diversity of characters, may I recommend Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax as an entryway to these games.

Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax - Kirito going HAM [720p/60fps]
SCR 2015 - 10/09/15 - Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax Tournament Top 6

I got this on sale about a month ago and was pleasantly surprised. It's very simple to learn with unified motions for special/super moves across the cast. One of the easiest "desperation move" mechanics ever, Trump Cards, are activated by pressing 2 buttons at once. It has a lot of anime fg conventions with bursts, super/double jumps, push block etc... but it never feels like too much.

At the higher level, it's totally a game of resource management. There's so many ways to quickly build and spend meter so it stays pretty action heavy. The support system allows for some really cool stuff, although a few assists have already risen to the top of the meta.

I played for about a month with my room mates, one who's only ever played Virtua FIghter and DOA, and one who grew up playing SNES fighters with his brother. We had fun with it but I was able to use it as a platform to play BlazBlue and now UNIEL (which I love so much.)

I recommend that Mizuumi Wiki be added to the OP. It covers the anime games that Dust Loop doesn't. It also contains guilty pleasure Chaos Code with includes the greatest grappler of all time... Bravo! A massive chef who attacks with food and restaurant equipment!

[Chaos Code] Thank You ver.1.02 Combo Movie Part 4 - Bravo

Anime fighters are quickly becoming my favorite sub-genre, and I don't even watch any anime.

Eolz

I don't think I'm a scrub anymore (apart from new games I pick up), but it's always nice to learn new things.
Great thread and OP!

I like how different games made me learn different things. Got better at spacing thanks to USFIV, at defense thanks to DOA5, at being patient with VF5, at seeing opportunities thanks to Guilty Gear, etc.

thundr51

I buy/play mostly all fighting games, but mostly need someone my level. I'm on all the platforms except wiiu (no smash). I can only play my son so much.

So, I have a weird mindset problem, and I can't nail it down. It's all purely mental too, not really "skill" but mind.

I *know* the right moves in a lot of my matches. I know what to avoid. But even when I'm conciously thinking about it, and about what not to do, my hands still autopilot their ways into defeat. An especially maddening example is (I'm a Peach main) I kept floating at a Palutena, and she would use Usmash to cover my float. Easy peasy, don't float above her. Yet, even when I was watching her charge the Usmash, I still found myself floating like an idiot. It's like, I know not to do that, why am I doing that!?

There's other matches where I'm failing less miserably than that, but there's still a margin of autopilot. Later last night I was playing Juni, I as ZSS, and they were Olimar. Was getting my ass kicked the first 3 matches. Then something clicked. Like I could physically feel it clicking into place, I decided I was done with that shit, and there was a *noticeable* difference in my play, and I ended up winning. I even went back over the footage -- it wasn't them playing worse, but me better. But I don't know how to channel that regularly! I need to know how to be "in the zone" so that I can use what little skill I *do* have, so that I can improve myself. Instead of just channeling my inner autopilot.

Any ideas?

Needlecrash

My gaming PC is on WiFi since my house isn't wired for CAT 5 ethernet. However, I've taken the pre-cautions of making sure my connection is solid and I've had no issues. I also subbed as well. I play a lot of FG's and I was just playing Alpha 3 a while ago. Feel free to hit me on the following:

• Steam: Dusted Needlecrash
  • XBL/Fightcade: Needlecrash
  • PSN: FujiwaraDashing

So, I have a weird mindset problem, and I can't nail it down. It's all purely mental too, not really "skill" but mind.

I *know* the right moves in a lot of my matches. I know what to avoid. But even when I'm conciously thinking about it, and about what not to do, my hands still autopilot their ways into defeat. An especially maddening example is (I'm a Peach main) I kept floating at a Palutena, and she would use Usmash to cover my float. Easy peasy, don't float above her. Yet, even when I was watching her charge the Usmash, I still found myself floating like an idiot. It's like, I know not to do that, why am I doing that!?

There's other matches where I'm failing less miserably than that, but there's still a margin of autopilot. Later last night I was playing Juni, I as ZSS, and they were Olimar. Was getting my ass kicked the first 3 matches. Then something clicked. Like I could physically feel it clicking into place, I decided I was done with that shit, and there was a *noticeable* difference in my play, and I ended up winning. I even went back over the footage -- it wasn't them playing worse, but me better. But I don't know how to channel that regularly! I need to know how to be "in the zone" so that I can use what little skill I *do* have, so that I can improve myself. Instead of just channeling my inner autopilot.

Any ideas?
Now that you're able to put it into words, you should find yourself getting better at it over time. The fact that you can conceive of the issue is the biggest hurdle.

Street Fighter IV isn't particularly elegant in its designs, so if you already don't like it, playing more of it isn't going to change your mind any time soon. I also vastly prefer some of the older ones, and SF V after messing around in the beta phases.

Think I'll sub to this. My main problems with tutorials is when they get to the part of chaining together regular and special combos. My fingers just can't move that fast. Instead, I learn one attack, and repeat the button combination over and over again. I also have a problem with cancels, super-cancels, etc. Smash is one game that I'm looking to improve in especially with Bayonetta coming soon.

Now that you're able to put it into words, you should find yourself getting better at it over time. The fact that you can conceive of the issue is the biggest hurdle.

And I'm certainly aware of that, but this isn't exactly a recent issue that I've only just come to realize. I suppose I'm realizing more the depth of it, but I've known for a while I have a big autopilot issue.

I've never really been one to blame the game or anything, so I feel like I have 80% of a healthy mindset. I've always managed to avoid the mental pitfalls of blaming the game, blaming my opponent, saying such and such is cheap, etc (not to say I haven't said certain things were really frustrating). But I can't conquer my own habits, and that's the worst part. I feel like I know what I need to do to get better, but can't get myself to do it. I feel like I need a mindset coach haha.

Think I'll sub to this. My main problems with tutorials is when they get to the part of chaining together regular and special combos. My fingers just can't move that fast. Instead, I learn one attack, and repeat the button combination over and over again. I also have a problem with cancels, super-cancels, etc. Smash is one game that I'm looking to improve in especially with Bayonetta coming soon.
boi i will fite u

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
five hours of jp VF from yesterday
http://youtu.be/9BylttPmZj4

those unfamiliar with VF find it perplexing to watch as it's not always clear why players are making certain decisions
but what the game does an outstanding job of doing is reenforcing fundamentals at their most important level: when should i attack? when should i defend? this is due to how strict the game is about throw and counter hit properties, but no need to get into that.

basically, any time someone gets hit in VF it's because the attacker correctly anticipated the defender's decision. the role of attacker and defender is switching back and forth almost constantly, making it an intense game to play as it demands your utmost attention. if you're just watching the game for the first time, try focusing on only one of the players and follow his decision making.

Help with this? It always happens when it's a crucial time. I play on pad and I'm not sure if it's why. Or if it's the game doing it because of its stupid shortcuts, or just me...but I really fucking hate it. God. HELP!

Let's take a look at my Ryu now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRJUklFiulg

I lose because I still have a bit trouble with FB's turning to DP's for reasons I have no idea why and could use advice on helping this not happen during crucial moments, but you get the general idea. Lenin said flat out that every Ryu match I would have won if not for those stray accidental DP's. That's how much I've improved in two months. Much less one month.

Top Bottom