• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why there's no refund policy on PSN yet?

CJY

Banned
The confusing thing for me is that people want that refund policy of Steam and Xbox Live, when that policy is STILL to the wallet, not to the card. Sure, you get to test the content, but reviews and other sources of "is it worth it?" are so multitudinous that you can't be thick enough to buy something without getting an opinion on it elsewhere first.

Also a key phrase people have blanked from my first post was "at least not for a while". I'm not saying its coming because I have zero information on that, but to implement it so soon after your major console competitor does it? Suicidal.

What if it causes a lot of pain for Microsoft? After all, they waited years after Steam implemented theirs. They probably wanted to wait to see how it panned out for them before implementing it themselves.

A large part of the reason why Microsoft implemented it in response to Valve is probably due to their "Play Anywhere initiative" and them needing their gaming platform to have feature-parity (& beyond) with both console and PC gaming. Sony only play in the console space obviously, but hopefully some pressure from Microsoft will force Sony's hand.

First time I've ever said this, but I'm glad for Xbox's existence and Phil spencer seems like a really decent, stand-up guy. The three platforms are now differentiated I feel for the industry to really thrive for the next decade and they keep pushing each other with innovative hardware, software and business models.

Sony should not and can not rest of its laurels. They're being squeezed and success out the gate doesn't necessarily mean success at the tail end of the generation or the beginning of the next.

PSKnown

Banned
Sony has to do none of this. You should know what you are getting into when you buy something on PSN, why should Sony pay for your mistake or change in taste?

jjonez18

Because we, the consumer, saw what MS did and said "Hmm, that cool" and continued to buy more digital stuff than ever on our PS4's.

Not say8ng Sony aren't looking into it. Just that they aren't in any hurry thanks to a booming digital market.

Toe-Knee

Sony has to do none of this. You should know what you are getting into when you buy something on PSN, why should Sony pay for your mistake or change in taste?

This is something that I don't understand. It's as if people don't research things before buying them.

I was just talking to a friend about this topic yesterday.

He bought Dark Souls 3 and played it until he arrived at the first boss.

After trying and dying several times he gave up and wanted a refund only to realize that Sony doesn't do refunds.

But because he got a digital license instead of a physical box he can't even resell the game.

Sometimes people like to buy a game impulsively because of a trailer they watched just to realize that they don't like the game for some reason.

I personally think they should have the same system as Steam. A refund is possible if you played the game for less than 2 hours.

Kickz

No corporations do. Somehow people see Sony as less of a money hungry corporation than Microsoft when it flat out isn't true. Why would they do anything that affects their bottom line? PS4 is still selling great, they are again dominating in NA. They have no reason to allow refunds, no reason to make it easier. All it will do is make them less money than before so they won't. I don't buy the, you are more likely to buy if you can refund argument. I think any potential increase in purchases will be massively offset by how many demand refunds. Right now they are stuck with a bad game or game they don't like.

And said consumer stuck with a bad overpriced game is less likely to buy again on psn

This is something that I don't understand. It's as if people don't research things before buying them.

Or developers lie about what's in their game. #NoMan'sSky

If you've been misled by a developer you most definitely should have a refund.

Why are people defending this policy?

E:^^^^Still waiting for that guy to come back and explain the research behind the 'deeper discounts' Sony deliver because of their no refunds policy.

Petrae

And people wonder why the video game industry shits all over its consumer base. The troop of volunteer corporate defenders that it has, which never misses a chance to aggressively shout down anything pro-consumer, makes the job so very easy for public relations firms.

Why should these companies do anything for the consumer's benefit when the consumers themselves are so eager to state why these things aren't needed?

Eumi

They don't have to and aren't under much pressure to do so as psn games, unlike steam or any pc games, actually work for everyone.

Still would be nice though.

Toe-Knee

Or developers lie about what's in their game. #NoMan'sSky

If you've been misled by a developer you most definitely should have a refund.

Why are people defending this policy?

E:^^^^Still waiting for that guy to come back and explain the research behind the 'deeper discounts' Sony deliver because of their no refunds policy.

I bought no man's sky at release and got everything that I was expecting.

Then again i didn't watch interviews etc just saw a single stage demo flying around and mining resources which is exactly what I got haha.

Im not defending it as much as saying people should do research and not rush to throw their money away.

It's easier to just not buy a bad product than to buy it and faff about trying to get your money back.

Kickz

Oh shut up, if a game is unplayable the consumer absolutely has the right to demand a refund

Armaros

Posts in this thread remind me of the 'Valve isn't your friend' thread about how they had to get 'bullied' into adding Refunds and got criticized for it and here we have a defense force for not adding refunds to PSN.

This is semi-on topic. I would love for Sony to let you cancel preorders. There is literally no standard set against this. All physical retailers do this. I even think MS does now, correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm a bit baffled at some of the posts in here, why would you argue for them not having a bog standard policy which, let's be honest, all the 3 console guys should of implemented years ago.

Its like corporate Stockholm syndrome.

Not at all.

I see zero benefits to myself. Since 97, I've returned a grand total of 1 game out of over 1000 and that's because I was able to finish it in 2 days.

I understand that some customers are idiots. I play with random people online from time to time. I also understand that a generic policy that's opened to abuse will lead to higher costs. I wasn't happy when PS+ went up and I won't be please when the price of the average game jumps to $70, but I don't care about the users who need refunds.

How about a refundable price and a non refundable price?

Not at all.

I see zero benefits to myself. Since 97, I've returned a grand total of 1 game out of over 1000 and that's because I was able to finish it in 2 days.

I understand that some customers are idiots. I play with random people online from time to time. I also understand that a generic policy that's opened to abuse will lead to higher costs. I wasn't happy when PS+ went up and I won't be please when the price of the average game jumps to $70, but I don't care about the users who need refunds.

How about a refundable price and a non refundable price?

Just because you yourself have and would never take advantage of a policy like this, in what way does it's existence hurt you? I highly doubt a policy like this will lead to any increases in price.

A refund process like Xbox Live or Steam won't come to PS, at least not for a while, because SCE don't want to appear like they're copying competitors, because that'd open a whole can of worms in terms of people begging for other features that other services have.

Only small children and fanboys would actually believe that this is the reason.

I bought no man's sky at release and got everything that I was expecting.

Then again i didn't watch interviews etc just saw a single stage demo flying around and mining resources which is exactly what I got haha.

Im not defending it as much as saying people should do research and not rush to throw their money away.

It's easier to just not buy a bad product than to buy it and faff about trying to get your money back.

They literally lied about meeting other players - there was no netcode for that to happen. I did research the game and advertised features were missing - I totally should have been allowed a refund.

There were even complaints in the UK to advertising standards.

I generally am happy with almost all my purchases - infact NMS is pretty much the only game I've ever wanted a refund on.

Sony can go fuck themselves until they sort this shit out.

Toe-Knee

They literally lied about meeting other players - there was no netcode for that to happen. I did research the game and advertised features were missing - I totally should have been allowed a refund.

There were even complaints in the UK to advertising standards.

I generally am happy with almost all my purchases - infact NMS is pretty much the only game I've ever wanted a refund on.

Not saying they didn't lie. Just that I never saw the lies so I got what I expected and I was happy

Jumeira

Banned
Its hard to accept the explanation that Sony doesnt want to implement a feature, such as backward compatibility/digital refund because they doesn't want to be seen as copying competitor. its too ridiculous

Sony have already​ copied a suite​ of features so that​ argument is redundant.

Using well thought out ideas is fine though, its progress, we all learn from each other.

playXray

Wrong.

UK consumer rights indicate you can return any product within 28 days of purchase with a valid receipt and for the goods to be in a re-sellable state.

What happens if you open a game and the press was faulty making it so the game doesn't play?

Is it sealed, no. Can you return it, yes you can.

This is absolute trash. You can return any faulty product within a set period for a full refund, regardless of the state of the product. To answer your question, you can open the product and if it doesn't play you can return it.

What you can't do is just return it because you don't like it, once it's been opened. The item must be in sealed (assuming it was originally sealed) and sellable state. So no, you can't buy something from Amazon, play it for a bit and then decide to return it within 28 days. What you can do is return an unopened item within 14 days of receipt, for any reason you like, but this is invalidated the moment you open it.

Toe-Knee

Ok and so now you can see why this is needed then.

Not really people can wait a week or so and know everything about how a game performs and what is /isn't in it.

But whether I think it is necessary or not options are always good.

^These desparate reasons that they are coming up with are entertaining you gotta admit

More so because Sony didn't have any qualms whatsoever about copying its competitor before and locking online multi-player behind a paywall. Yet conveniently the company doesn't want to copy competitors when they implement customer-friendly policies.

playXray

Amazon let me return NMS 3 weeks post launch simply because I told them I was disappointed that they sold such a broken trash product on their store.

Yeah, and that was a high profile exception to the norm because the game was in such a 'broken' state that people complained it wasn't fit for sale. Try doing that with Zelda.

Similarly, there's games I've enjoyed on PSN that I've finished and I have no desire to play again, and I'd happily give the licences away to friends if I could, or sell them back.
I would get a lot of mileage with this feature. Or even a way to trade with friends.

I think they should just extend the "try the game for 1 hour" to cover all games instead.

Did they even bring it over from PS3?

Tumle

I think they should just extend the "try the game for 1 hour" to cover all games instead.

Did they even bring it over from PS3?
I'd be for that :)
What I don't think Sony is legally bound to do, is cover peoples stupid asses because they can't live with a mistake that they made..
Don't want to sound hostile, but the way people are responding to replies, and Calling people corporate shill, just because I and some others think that it isn't sonys responsibility to cover people asses from there buying decisions, and pointing that out.. is really below the belt, and not really worth an argument..
Should Sony refund broken or falsely advertised products? Absolutely!
All other than that, this thread is just a port begging thread for features that other platforms have.. would it be nice if they implemented it?again absolutely!
Is there a reason for them to do so, other than to appease people, who apparently don't know what to use there money on? No not really..

Armaros

I'd be for that :)
What I don't think Sony is legally bound to do, is cover peoples stupid asses because they can't live with a mistake that they made..
Don't want to sound hostile, but the way people are responding to replies, and Calling people corporate shill, just because I and some others think that it isn't sonys responsibility to cover people asses from there buying decisions, and pointing that out.. is really below the belt, and not really worth an argument..
Should Sony refund broken or falsely advertised products? Absolutely!
All other than that, this thread is just a port begging thread for features that other platforms have.. would it be nice if they implemented it?again absolutely!
Is there a reason for them to do so, other than to appease people, who apparently don't know what to use there money on? No not really..

We definitely hit peak console warrior fanboying.

Asking for a refund system is 'port begging for features'

That's a first.

Tumle

We definitely hit peak console warrior fanboying.

Asking for a refund system is 'port begging for features'

That's a first.
Great reading skills.. I said port begging of a feature of giving refunds for purchase mistakes..
Refunding broken or falsely advertised games I'm all for! I'm agreeing to that..
But please tell me what consumer rights rules Sony has broken for not having this option?

Top Bottom