• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Definitely just spent seven hours in a row playing this without getting up to eat or use the bathroom. Whoops. Definitely an addicting game, I'm really having fun with the skill tree and the different abilities.

Currently level 11 and on my way to making a ninja mage. Haven't decided yet whether I'll be more finesse with sorcery backup or vice-versa, but I'm having fun with a daggers/chakrams set-up, sneaking into an area and stealth killing as much as possible, then mopping the rest up with chakrams/magic. And I know that it's really nothing except aesthetics, but having the upgraded teleport dodge is awesome.

Quick question: Can you only have four abilities mapped at any one time? I'm only using four right now (Storm Bolt/Shadow Flare/Mark of Flame/Sphere of Protection) but I'm probably going to pick up at least one or two more I want to use instead.

Vamphuntr

I am trying to do the first travelers faction quest, and one of the items is on a guy in an inn and he doesn't seem to go anywhere or I have any way to approach him?

I used a potion of phase walking which make you completely invisible. You can't fail doing this. I made a bunch and used them for all of these quests.

Wallach

Definitely just spent seven hours in a row playing this without getting up to eat or use the bathroom. Whoops. Definitely an addicting game, I'm really having fun with the skill tree and the different abilities.

Currently level 11 and on my way to making a ninja mage. Haven't decided yet whether I'll be more finesse with sorcery backup or vice-versa, but I'm having fun with a daggers/chakrams set-up, sneaking into an area and stealth killing as much as possible, then mopping the rest up with chakrams/magic. And I know that it's really nothing except aesthetics, but having the upgraded teleport dodge is awesome.

Quick question: Can you only have four abilities mapped at any one time? I'm only using four right now (Storm Bolt/Shadow Flare/Mark of Flame/Sphere of Protection) but I'm probably going to pick up at least one or two more I want to use instead.

No you can't, which is one of the most significant functionality flaws in this game. You can, however, activate sustained powers like Sphere of Protection then rebind that hotkey and SoP will remain active (you will have to rebind SoP to deactivate it).

Arcteryx

Yep, but you can map a sustained ability, turn it on, then re-map something else to its slot (still allowing to be on, but freeing up the space)

I just hit lvl 24...38 hrs now. Thinking I might switch from full Finesse to Sorc/Finesse. Found a TON of set stuff today (doing dungeons + farming those harpy/earwig things).

I'll post some pics of some of the combo outfits I made together, love this one hat I found

No you can't, which is one of the most significant functionality flaws in this game. You can, however, activate sustained powers like Sphere of Protection then rebind that hotkey and SoP will remain active (you will have to rebind SoP to deactivate it).

Gotcha. Dang, that sucks. Makes me not want to put skill points into sorcery abilities since one I get to the higher tier spells I'll most likely be dropping them.

Grinchy

Banned
Gotcha. Dang, that sucks. Makes me not want to put skill points into sorcery abilities since one I get to the higher tier spells I'll most likely be dropping them.

Yeah, because of the 4 ability limitation, I basically just spec myself so I only have 4 abilities. I traded sphere of protection for the little skeleton pet. If you upgrade him enough, he siphons health from enemies and sends it to you. I feel like it's a good trade-off for the shield if you are good at blocking and dodging.

Just finished the Warsworn questline and I got myself a pretty sweet twist of fate
+1 to Might and some other shit

I considered going with the Niskaru Lord for a sec but I couldn't betray my Doffal-broette Gwyn.

Is the twist of fate you get for doing that any better?

Wallach

Well, in Sorcery's case it helps a little that the high level versions of Storm Bolt and Ice Barrage don't require additional hotkeys (they are charges for the base spells).

Still, the game needs 8 hotkeys, not 4. There is no tree in the game that has less than 5 active skills not including sustained powers, so the game's controls don't even properly support the design of the ability system.

Well, I promise myself that I'll try to collect every set in the game, no matter what, but it might not be possible with the stash and inventory limit that game offers at the moment.

Guys, please tell me that further in the game I can get a bigger stash, I can stash only 155 items at the moment, is it really a max the game offers?

Why put so many crazy looking unique items and sets and so little space to stash them?

Curt I beg you, please give us some more stash space with patch or DLC, please.

Gattsu25

Banned
Well, I promise myself that I'll try to collect every set in the game, no matter what, but it might not be possible with the stash and inventory limit that game offers at the moment.

Guys, please tell me that further in the game I can get a bigger stash, I can stash only 155 items at the moment, is it really a max the game offers?

Why put so many crazy looking unique items and sets and so little space to stash them?

Curt I beg you, please give us some more stash space with patch or DLC, please.
Do what I do: get used to hitting the Y button more often

There is no way I'm gonna sell or junk any of the set items, no way mate. That's why I'm hunting them so bad, to keep them not to sell them ;)

Luthos

Wolves.... UGHGHLERLGHL

Not like they do any damage (not much in this game does). But holy hell their drive by bites piss me off. Especially when I'm trying to cast spells.

scy

Well, in Sorcery's case it helps a little that the high level versions of Storm Bolt and Ice Barrage don't require additional hotkeys (they are charges for the base spells).

Still, the game needs 8 hotkeys, not 4. There is no tree in the game that has less than 5 active skills not including sustained powers, so the game's controls don't even properly support the design of the ability system.

To be fair, not many builds would get all of them anyway. Not that it's a good reason or anything. Personally, I like having to pick only four but I wouldn't exactly complain about extra slots being given to me...

Two Orange level Threshes and 5 poison boggarts beating on me and my health isn't going anywhere (on Hard). BHG needs to learn how to balance their games. All I've got are two 1.5 health gems and a skeleton pet that sometimes transfers health from enemies to me. I shouldnt be able to take this much damage from orange enemies without fear of death. I know they're listening to us, so hopefully one of the DLC packs will help others out by adding some difficulty. I wont be buying any DLC if it's just going to be a cakewalk like Alabastra has turned out to be.

Wallach

To be fair, not many builds would get all of them anyway. Not that it's a good reason or anything. Personally, I like having to pick only four but I wouldn't exactly complain about extra slots being given to me...

All three of the pure builds are pretty likely to have all of the active and sustained powers in their tree, I think. JoaT is also almost guaranteed to wind up with 5+ actives, especially at Universalist when they need to respec out of the combo lines.

Regardless, it's a case of the controls not supporting the design and one or the other should have been addressed.

Here are two latest Finesse sets I found... For a moment I thought that Wonderer's set will be the best looking Finesse set in the game, well I thought so, till I found a piece of a another Finesse set :D

Captain's set...

6889676493_f1d60398fc_z.jpg

6889676481_2f94f7864d_z.jpg

Wanderer's set...

6889676453_d7379cab74_z.jpg

6889676473_4d0035dfda_z.jpg

I have the hats to both of those sets, Hertz. Found the chest to a cool looking gold/purple might set tonight.

My favourite long sword that I've found so far is Stormblade. Really wish I could craft something to that shape.

Ever since respeccing into Might from Finesse with daggers I've been like a juggernaut. I didn't understand how you guys were finding the game so easy until I switched over. Before I was routinely getting killed by mobs including mages and those big spider things that spit the acid. Now I can pop Relentless Assault and go in with reckless abandon.

I wouldn't say it's less fun, it just feels considerably easier.

Luthos

Man, I'm kinda vain.

It's funny how my enjoyment of RPGs go up when I get a unique piece of really cool armor or weapon. Regardless of how better it is.

ReaperXL7

Here are two latest Finesse sets I found... For a moment I thought that Wonderer's set will be the best looking Finesse set in the game, well I thought so, till I found a piece of a another Finesse set :D

Captain's set...

6889676493_f1d60398fc_z.jpg

6889676481_2f94f7864d_z.jpg

Wanderer's set...

6889676453_d7379cab74_z.jpg

6889676473_4d0035dfda_z.jpg

Yep I knew the wanderer set would look awesome. Just getting into deytre now so ill be farming for it soon. Question for you I just picked up the chest for a might set. Can't remember the name completely off the top of my head but it had naga in the title. It looks silver gold and purple. Have you found anywhere to farm that set yet?

Yep I knew the wanderer set would look awesome. Just getting into deytre now so ill be farming for it soon. Question for you I just picked up the chest for a might set. Can't remember the name completely off the top of my head but it had naga in the title. It looks silver gold and purple. Have you found anywhere to farm that set yet?

You can farm it in Detyre as well, I got one piece from the big guy near the House of Valor arena.

Ever since respeccing into Might from Finesse with daggers I've been like a juggernaut. I didn't understand how you guys were finding the game so easy until I switched over. Before I was routinely getting killed by mobs including mages and those big spider things that spit the acid. Now I can pop Relentless Assault and go in with reckless abandon.

I wouldn't say it's less fun, it just feels considerably easier.

I've said this before but Relentless Assault is the best ability in the game, excluding broken Meteor and Tempest. Hell I'd even take it over them because of how often you get interrupted and shit. It just gets really annoying getting interrupted/cancelled out of a move so often. Simply pop Relentless Assault before each fight and wack away without mercy, don't even have to block. Max the other skills that buff RA too btw if you haven't already.

Here is the combo I used with my invincible Might character:

Socket a "60% chance to stun enemy when attacked" epic gem when master-blacksmithing body armor. This requires maxed blacksmithing and the third from last box in sagecrafting.
Socket gems of precision (7% crit, pristine poison + pristine physical) into all other armor pieces and also both weapons, maybe add one "30% stun duration" gem in there somewhere
When crafting your master blacksmithed gear, make sure to use as many %crit components you can (5% and higher would be ideal but there were times i used only 3-4% as they are hard to find, you won't get flawless 7% pieces till end game) and also use some "Robust" or "Hardened" components (give +mana/healt or just health)
Max Concussive Force skill that grants huge damage bonus to stunned enemies
Have on the berserker sustained skill
Pop relentless assault and go to town. They will get stunned often and you won't get interrupted with RA on and will just wreck shit with the berserker skill that gives a big boost for every kill (forgot name) and also concussive force bonus. Just enormous damage. My most used weapon was the Great Sword, which has huge range and damage plus three of the best ability attacks (the blocking guillotine, whirlwind, and my favorite the jump and smash down out of a dodge roll, i used that like hundreds of times). The second weapon can be anything really... you will have some extra points, for a while i used chakrams and maxed the chakram mastery because they're really fun and perfect for the build since you can attack from range but also still huge dmg from close. They also don't require a massive point investment like with a bow (probably not even doable with bow)

I was thinking about speccing out of Finesse completely, dropping my Bow and going with Chakrams. Then I found this thing...

Harpoon kind of kills the need for a bow, but this thing looks so freaking cool ;_;

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
At 24, after going pure Might the entire time, I decided to try respeccing as a pure magic user.

Holy shit... mages are badass. It's going to be hard to go back to meleeing stuff if I so decide to.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'll be honest, I hate the chakrams the most out of every weapon in the game. They feel... very underwhelming. Sure you look fancy and shit but.... they don't have any feeling of SPEED or POWER behind their attacks, it feels like NOTHING. Bows give me a since of sniping, scepters feels like Im shooting off bombs, Daggers and feablades feel like non stop fluries of attacks like I'm some rabid beast, and the two swords and the hammer feel like I'm cleaving away the lives of people on each hit and the Staff feels like IM THE GOD DAMN WIZARD.

Chakrams feel like... Im throwing paper ninja stars at people xD

I'll be honest, I hate the chakrams the most out of every weapon in the game. They feel... very underwhelming. Sure you look fancy and shit but.... they don't have any feeling of SPEED or POWER behind their attacks, it feels like PEW PEW PEW. Bows give me a since of sniping, scepters feels like Im shooting off bombs, Daggers and feablades feel like non stop fluries of attacks, and the two swords and the hammer feel like I'm cleaving away the lives of people on each hit. Staff feels like IM THE GOD DAMN WIZARD.

You either have shitty Chakrams, or you didn't level their ability up. No weapon chews through an entire group of enemies faster than a powered up Chakrams maneuver. The fact that they also interrupt whole groups of enemies makes them even more powerful. They're a huge reason why I think the dev team needed to focus more attention on balancing the game.

I did the first two regions in the Plains of Erathell and boy some quests sure were tough. I am currently level 20 with my Might/Sorcery hybrid and I think that I am going to leave those Plains alone before I venture further. I have seen orange trolls scattered around the next region so I do not think that I will be ready for that. I am dieing for some proper orange sets, though. The only thing the game gave me in 4 hours time was oné very good purple Greatsword in both damage and aesthetics.

Detyre is next.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You either have shitty Chakrams, or you didn't level their ability up. No weapon chews through an entire group of enemies faster than a powered up Chakrams maneuver. The fact that they also interrupt whole groups of enemies makes them even more powerful. They're a huge reason why I think the dev team needed to focus more attention on balancing the game.

Ehhh maybe you should try out some of the other weapons powered up :p

Man, you know what totally breaks the game?

Having 4.5HP/sec regeneration at Lv. 15.

Blacksmithing is broken but you are doing it yourself by creating armor pieces that have that much regeneration. I would suggest to just focus on getting set pieces and focus on putting gems in rings/amulets and what not.
It should have not been broken in the first place but there is nothing we can do about it so just neglect a part of it. There is sadly no other way.

gehrig38

I'll be honest, I hate the chakrams the most out of every weapon in the game. They feel... very underwhelming. Sure you look fancy and shit but.... they don't have any feeling of SPEED or POWER behind their attacks, it feels like NOTHING. Bows give me a since of sniping, scepters feels like Im shooting off bombs, Daggers and feablades feel like non stop fluries of attacks like I'm some rabid beast, and the two swords and the hammer feel like I'm cleaving away the lives of people on each hit and the Staff feels like IM THE GOD DAMN WIZARD.

Holy crap, this post is like 100% the exact opposite of how I feel about Chakrams.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I heard this game was easy so here's what I'm doing: I've murdered almost every single side quest giver in the game. I'm only doing Main and Faction sidequests, and I refuse to purchase anything in shops.

:)

moop1167

I've been Sorcery/Finesse for the whole game basically. Level 22 using staves and daggers. Some of these mages in Detyre are tough to kill. There's this one bitch I am sent to kill that I don't think I will be able to beat for another level or two because she casts a million spells and then I have sprites charging at me from all over.

Top Bottom