• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

jbug617

Banned
I came to the conclusion that Pudding needs to be kicked at least one time before the end of this because she shot Reiju.

Veelk

Banned
Getting slapped wasn't enough?

Getting verbally broken by Sanji is already the worst possible outcome that could have occurred.

Slapped, kicked, killed, eaten by big mom, erased from the timeline...doesn't matter. She can't be brought down any lower than she is now.

marmoka

Banned
Linlin is really a monster. I cannot imagine what horrible things happened before she was abandoned.

Apparently she wants to follow Mother Caramel's steps, but she's still crazy.

This flashback will be pretty interesting.

So it's Carmel now instead of Caramel? Well, I'm OK with this.

There's a really nice seatown in California called Carmel. You guys should visit it once in your life.

marmoka

Banned
Now that I think about this, Big Mom wants to join all races in one. But she wants Pudding to hide her third eye because it's weird.

Isn't this a contradiction?

Syntsui

Hey, cool to know Nami was a giant and she hang out with Big Mom. Oda is always full of surprises!!!
lol

I have a feeling BM powers will never be explained. Her parents seemed as average as possible, nothing justifies her size or sheer strength.

Veelk

Banned
I'm just gonna say that if Big Mom actually pulls a heel turn because of Sanji's cooking, which is what seems to be being set up was the source of Big Mom's problem (Sanji's philosophy is that everyone should be fed if they're hungry, while Big Mom's problem was triggered by her fasting), I may actually rage quit.

LotusHD

Banned
Like how the backstory that usually makes you more sympathetic towards a character just unnerves me instead. Big Mom is scary...

Now that I think about this, Big Mom wants to join all races in one. But she wants Pudding to hide her third eye because it's weird.

Isn't this a contradiction?

Well Big Mom seems uhh...irrational, so it's not particularly surprising that despite her dream, that if she finds something weird, she just doesn't want to look at it.

Anyways, a race has been "joined" regardless. It's just that the people don't know about it lol

For me, it's more interesting that she says she needs that eye to get to Raftel, yet wants it hidden.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Elbaf is Viking central and I love it

Takes me back to my World of Warcraft days in Howling Fjord

wow___howling_fjord_1_by_byorrsingyr-d4829s1.jpg

Red Fire

Uhhhhhh big mom as a kid is just... No

That hidden tree is suspicious. Loved the references to the other giants.

So she will kill the elder giant now or what

caliph95

Doesn't seem she was a monster as a kid more gluttonus and well meaning
She was just way too strong as a kid so when she goes on a tantrum disaster happen
Not helped that caramel is too kind and soft to discipline her
It seems due to how crazy she has twisted version of caramels ideals without understanding of why caramel wants that.
The family she has and collects its a way for her to emulate the orphanage she grew up on probably why she has kids with different fathers so they could match the diverse background
This also explains why she is so adamant about and pissed at lola for botching the giants wedding besides the power since lived there and liked there probably liked them

Though its hard to raise a weird child that can beat up giants

LotusHD

Banned
Doesn't seem she was a monster as a kid more gluttonus and well meaning
She was just way too strong as a kid so when she goes on a tantrum disaster happen
Not helped that caramel is too kind and soft to discipline her
It seems due to how crazy she has twisted version of caramels ideals without understanding of why caramel wants that.
The family she has and collects its a way for her to emulate the orphanage she grew up on probably why she has kids with different fathers so they could match the diverse background
This also explains why she is so adamant about and pissed at lola for botching the giants wedding besides the power since lived there and liked there probably liked them

Though its hard to raise a weird child that can beat up giants

I'm just gonna pray her relationships were consensual...

bjork

I'm just gonna say that if Big Mom actually pulls a heel turn because of Sanji's cooking, which is what seems to be being set up was the source of Big Mom's problem (Sanji's philosophy is that everyone should be fed if they're hungry, while Big Mom's problem was triggered by her fasting), I may actually rage quit.

She's already bad

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Sometimes I forget how messed up this series can get in flashbacks. The Otohime stuff/her traumatized children gave me similar vibes.

lbsa

I always forget how old these giants could get. Also child Big Mom is way more creepy than present day.

I'm curious if we'll see how/when she got her devil fruit (since it's a pretty important part of her condition) and how she possibly got so many suitors. Or hell, even just one.

Next Chapter, Mother Carmelo leaves for a bigger spotlight and a sneaker deal, leaving power forward Jeremy 'Big Mom' LinLin to lead the team alone.

daveo42

Banned
So while good-intentioned, Caramel enabled Linlin to become a spoiled brat...but something else is also going on with why she ended up the way she did. Much larger than her supposed birth parents and the strength of a giant at such a young age...what is going on Oda?!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Caramel creating a storm at the gallows? Later joined the revolutionaries and was responsible for saving Luffy at Loguetown???

...or died and Dragon got her fruit?

Veelk

Banned
Those two asshole giants on the garden island that were referenced here mentioned a god that basically did the whole "Might is right" philosophy, which is why they were doing their trial by combat thing.

Also, Zoro makes references to demons and gods and all that.

Plus Sengoku is a Buddha.

And the strawhats tried to make crosses when Perona attacked them with ghosts.

But yeah, the Giant's religion seems to be the first sign of a diegetic religion in the story. Unless Oda just wants to go "and it's all Norse mythology basically" on us.

Lunar15

This kinda makes Dorry and Broggy seem like colossal assholes, doesn't it? They abandoned their crew (!) for their own personal duel which ended up getting their crew captured and executed.

That's like, anti-one piece 101.

Kreed

One Piece 866:

So besides the giant cameos from characters like Kashi and Hajrudin, were any of the Mother Caramel kids "important" to the current story/people we've seen before, particularly the prince and the kid with the shades?

SolVanderlyn

Sanji asked Zoro if he believed in God in Loguetown. I always took that and Zoro's offhand references to mean Sanji does believe in one/is agnostic and Zoro is agnostic bordering on atheist. It doesn't matter much in the end though because the series will never focus on that aspect.

Mother Caramel is likely a nun because nuns stereotypically run orphanages. Kuma has a bible because having a priest on a ship used to be a thing. Etc. etc.

But yeah, the Giant's religion seems to be the first sign of a diegetic religion in the story. Unless Oda just wants to go "and it's all Norse mythology basically" on us.
This is what will happen.

Veelk

Banned
This kinda makes Dorry and Broggy seem like colossal assholes, doesn't it? They abandoned their crew (!) for their own personal duel which ended up getting their crew captured and executed.

That's like, anti-one piece 101.

Especially weird since everyone seems to love them for it. Luffy and Usopp had masculinity boners over their feud and here in this latest chapter the other giants are admiring them.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The Giants continue to be awesome. Over 300 years old, god damn.
This arc's lesson seems to be "discipline your kids". Carmel being too soft on Linlin likely lead to her uprise as an Emperor.

Cameos from Oimo and Kashi, and yeah I called that Dorry and Brogy would only get a mention. They even foreshadow the former two leaving and ending up in Government custody.

Who else thinks Big Mom actually killed Carmel during one of her food induced fits

I can see that.

Lunar15

One Piece 866:

So besides the giant cameos from characters like Kashi and Hajrudin, were any of the Mother Caramel kids "important" to the current story/people we've seen before, particularly the prince and the kid with the shades?

Both the kid with the crown and the kid with the shades looked incredibly familiar. I can't place them.

Also, I guarantee you we'll see Gerth when we go to Elbaf.

Especially weird since everyone seems to love them for it. Luffy and Usopp had masculinity boners over their feud and here in this latest chapter the other giants are admiring them.

The duel is whatever because Oda played it off as a thing that's dumb but has cultural significance to the overall theme, but the fact that the crew then got captured and executed just puts an odd taste to the whole thing.

SolVanderlyn

Well, it's not like Dorry and Broggy knew they got captured...

Top Bottom