• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you separate the entertainer from the person?

shaneo632

I'm all over the place on this to be honest. I keep giving Woody Allen and Mel Gibson my money but I would probably think twice about a Polanski film.

I find it easier with music and video games because I don't consume everything, unlike film.

Zubz

Banned
No. Art is inherently personal, therefore I believe the person behind the art is a huge part of the art.

Yup. Plus, if the artist is profiting off of it, it makes me feel uncomfortable knowing my money is in their pocket & can be used for their purposes.

Absolutely.

If Hitler made some great art I could appreciate it on that level. He didn't, so I've never had to grapple with that though. Compartmentalization has always come easy to me.

Where I draw the line is in monetarily supporting somebody who I know will put that money towards advancing causes that would hurt those I care about. At that point other considerations intervene.

Yes, unless their personality IS the product (Jon Tron, etc).
This a good point.

stephen08

I believe that everyone is a collection of both talents and flaws. To me it comes down to how those two stack up against one another and things like remorse, severity of the action etc. To me there’s not a one size fits all approach here.

Depends who it is and how the art relates to their indiscretions.

I ain't trying to hear R Kelly sing about sticking his key in a brainwashed 14 year old's ignition.

I find it easier to go back and consume media I enjoyed before finding out someone involved is a scumbag.
Like, I'll still enjoy playing Earthworm Jim on the MD, but I don't care about Doug TenNapel's future output in the slightest.

Mathieran

Banned
If they're just a douchebag then I can let it go, but if they're rapists or racist then I will not support them. There are so many good movies and musicians that we shouldn't have to settle for shitty people.

David Cross is making it hard though. I'd like to believe it was just a misunderstanding...

Nepenthe

When it comes to openly bigoted views, no exceptions. If you're a racist piece of shit, I'm not gonna support you. Clearly you're too good for my money.

It totally depends and is inconsistent. I still love old Megadeth and will never stop listening no matter how stupid Dave Mustaine is. On the other hand a BoB song came on my mp3 player and I skipped it cuz I just kept thinking about flat earthers. But I mean, I might have skipped his song anyway.

Skux

Yeap. I watch artists for their art, not their moral conduct.

It's entirely possible for you to love someone's album/book/movie and detest their real life actions.

Real life is more complex than people being either good or bad.

Michael Jackson was one of the greatest pop stars of all time, and also abused children. That doesn't negate his achievements. It means he was a great pop star and also a child abuser.

The only person I let slide being a dick head is Kanye... because it's Ye
Outside of him I usually drop any racist/sexist/etc or people like that even if it isn't directly their content

Yes. I have no clue about a lifes artist besides his work. He doesn’t even need to be an artist. Its the output that interests me.

I do. I think Rainer Werner Fassbinder is a great director but he was notoriously horrible person. One of his frequent actresses, Irm Hermann said he was physically and emotionally abusive. One time he bullied her into eating a steak because he knew she was vegetarian. She threw up and he made fun of her; in exasperation she threatened to commit suicide and he said something like "Go ahead".

Despite all of this, I love a lot of his films, moral hypocrisy be damned.

Steak or no steak he is one of the greatest directors of all time. Theres no moral that affects that.

I don't like supporting these people, but there's also a lot of good people working alongside them...

But at a certain point, I can't separate the two.

I have limited time and resources and there is way more art to consume than I'll ever have time or resources to get through. If I have a choice between supporting an artist I don't know anything about vs an artist I know has done terrible things, I'll probably pick the unknown.

I was just thinking of R Kelly. There are so many other great R&B singers. I have not listened to him after the thing about him pissing on a little girl and I've never missed it.

You have to, absolutely. Yes. I don't know these famous people.

I'm only 31 but I've been burned before. By many childhood stars and favorites.

The God

"milkshake duck" has always been stupid thing. You don't know these people. Your favorite celebrities could be/are abusers, murderers, creeps etc

Don't love them, love what they do

Even awful people can produce something of value I think. What I can't enjoy are works that are... naive, weak, or which are empowered by whatever it is that makes the artist an awful person. Like, if a racist pos makes a great book about fatherhood or about the Roman empire, I don't have a lot of trouble reading them, but often times you read works done by awful, awful people that really show their own naiveté about the truths of life and humans and society and that I cannot help but be completely disgusted by. That people are bad, well, frankly I'm a cynic and think very very few people are actually good, but even awful people can and are overcome by their own passion to do something true and good and personally that puts them at an approachable level.

FyreWulff

Nope, not really. It's really fucking easy for me to to not buy or watch or consume someone's content. I've never gotten the "well, at least they make great....." don't need to get it from that person.

FStubbs

I think it depends on how much the piece of art is tied directly to their persona.

Koichi Sugiyama is a POS but Dragon Quest isn't about promoting him so I can listen to and appreciate his music in and out of the game. I don't ever have to directly see or hear *him*. Polanski and Weinstein are in this category.

Mel Gibson is tougher. He's talented but some of his roles are basically "Mel Gibson" so that's harder.

On the other extreme is the Cosby show. His name is in the title. And while he's playing "Cliff Huxtable" the character is basically Cosby himself in a wholesome fatherly role so that's much tougher. John Wayne is also in this category.

But everyone has done something garbage in their lives.

There are enough great artists in the world that I don't need to waste time on the shitheads.

That said, there are different levels of problematic. I can watch and enjoy Tom Cruise movies but I stay away from James Woods or Adam Baldwin stuff.

But Adam Baldwin was in the last Mission Impossible.

KayMote

Too be honest,yes. Just as I don't have to celebrate the art of a super nice person, because the product is shit, I can enjoy the art of a creator who I know off that he's an asshole.

Its a requirement at this point. If I had to purge every piece of entertainment I've enjoyed that involved somebody who did shit, was complicit in some shit, or was /is involved in or said shit I don't agree with I'd be down to Reading Rainbow and Mr Rogers. Hell maybe one of the producers on those shows was a piece of shit behind the scenes.

Moff

absolutely, and I often I don't know a lot about their personal views and don't care. If Hitler had been a talented painter I would have no problems admitting that.
But I am generally not into fandom or worship certain artists, I don't admire the creators, just their work.

I always run into the problem of money. I fucking HATE giving trash people my money even if it’s cents on the dollar. I know Chinatown has been thrown around a lot in this thread. I love that movie. I loved it before I knew what Polanski is. I never got around to buying it before I knew the man was basura. Now it’s too late. I will probably never add that one to my collection because ew. If I pop over to my mom’s and it’s on I’ll watch it, but that’s about it. I’m also one of those people who stopped listening to R Kelly back in the early aughts and never went back. I keep hearing one of my teachers saying, “you have to hit them where it hurts and in this day and age the hardest gut punch will be to their wallet.” I can never let that lesson go. It means I miss out on lots of things, but the world is full of cool stuff. I got options.

I'm not gonna go looking for the twitch highlight but he was streaming and decided to call a group of people faggots. A girl then said hey you shouldn't say that. Instead of apologizing for it, he just moved on.

Just doesn't sit right with me.

This sounds like Dunkey being Dunkey, for better or worse, and just saying it as a general term (which isn't good, mind you). AFAIK he hasn't gone on racist eugenics rants or said Nazis aren't all bad people, so... I could look past something like this. Maybe he is a bigot, but he keeps it to himself if he is.

On the other hand, I also haven't unsubscribed from JonTron. Instead, I just flag every single video of his that pops on my feed as Violent and Disturbing.

TedNindo

Honestly. I live in a pretty compact high density country in western europe. And I know, work with and have all kinds of people as friends or family. Many with opinions that would get you banned on this forum. We tend to agree to dissagree. People are more complicated than that. I know a lot of left wing people who are anti islam and immigration for example. I know some conservative hippies.
America seems pretty polarised but the majority here is a grey mess. With most people having some controversial opinions.
I've interviewed Muslims that vote for conservative parties, thin left wing parties are soft and want cameras everywhere and don't feel safe in their neighbourhoods.

No, because it's impossible. Creators project themselves onto their work. They go hand in hand. You can choose to ignore it, which is fine I guess, but that doesn't mean that the product isn't a result of the person creating it.

Nah, I can't. Like with R.Kelly aka the Fiesta Molesta.
I havent listened to a song of his since I found out that stuff.
I mean but it goes without saying that it depends on what they did or said.

duckroll

Can't hear the Dragon Quest theme without thinking of fuckface Skeletor grinning as he takes out another ad in an American newspaper filled with Japanese war crime denials.

zelas

I don't even think about the person until they throw some nonsense I don't like in my face. Once that happens I have no problem dropping them. Too much baggage free entertainment in the world to worry about settling.

Top Bottom