• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Great British Bake Off [BBC1]

mclem

I spent the last third of the show enthusing about how much I loved playing Coppit as a kid. And ranted at the guy spelling it "Coppitt" in his notes.

So apparently something like 4 million people recorded it/watched it on catch up this week. Kinda insane how the ads stop people watching it live.
As for me I watched it til 9 then switched to Dr Foster (and will be doing for the next five weeks).

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Felt like I blinked and missed James' and Yan's showstoppers
I know its always hectic with more bakers and I appreciate the extra "15" mins but I wish they would do a bit more show and a bit less adverts

Podge293

So apparently something like 4 million people recorded it/watched it on catch up this week. Kinda insane how the ads stop people watching it live.
As for me I watched it til 9 then switched to Dr Foster (and will be doing for the next five weeks).

There was also international football on. I know England played the Monday but still.

Wouldn't be surprised if this week has more people recording and watching later cuz of the return of the Champions League

Mr. Sam

I like Liam but I feel like he's only just keeping his head above water each week. Mind you, I would have said that about Selasi last season and he made it to the final four.

To be fair I find the ads on catch-up even more obnoxious. Those personalised ads you get are weeeeeird.

oti

Banned
I find the host comedian very endearing. The only other time I've seen him is in that yearly quiz show on YouTube.

Also Stephen is OP. Blizzard nerf pleahsee.

I find the host comedian very endearing. The only other time I've seen him is in that yearly quiz show on YouTube.

Also Stephen is OP. Blizzard nerf pleahsee.

Really? Everytime Noel Fielding is on screen I have to resist the urge to shout "WHAT ARE YOU DOING THERE?!". Don't get me wrong, I think he's awesome in Mighty Boosh etc. but here it just doesn't work for me.

I've watched it live the last two weeks and the ads are now starting to grate as well. It's been a long time since I've watched live TV, we're there always this many ads? It feels like a lot, and they really do interrupt the flow of the show. Maybe I'll start watching on catch-up.

Liam is on borrowed time. Amazed he didn't go this week. That showstopper looked pap, the flavours must have been really good to save it.

I like Noel a lot, I think he gets funnier with each episode. Nothing will match the charm of the Sue, Mel, and Mary but I am liking this new season.

Also agree that Stephen is really on a different level than everyone else. That bread purse was incredible. Sophie seems like the only one who might be able to give him a run for his money long term.

Liam is either the feel good underdog story in the making or he goes out unceremoniously never earning star baker and we all feel unfulfilled.

JonnyKong

Felt like Prue was in harsh mode this week.

Looks like they're making a trifle show stopper next week.

I LOVE trifle with all my heart.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Discussion of this has really dropped off this year. Are people boycotting because of the move to Channel 4? Suppose it's harder for people outside the UK to watch now.

Thought this was a decent week, Stephen's trifle was obviously visually impressive, but you can see he's getting cocky with going for style over substance. Interesting to see if he pulls it back. Nice to see Sophie get the star baker, she performed really well this episode. They should bring back that Sheriff's badge for star bakers again, that was a nice little touch.

Discussion of this has really dropped off this year. Are people boycotting because of the move to Channel 4? Suppose it's harder for people outside the UK to watch now.

Thought this was a decent week, Stephen's trifle was obviously visually impressive, but you can see he's getting cocky with going for style over substance. Interesting to see if he pulls it back. Nice to see Sophie get the star baker, she performed really well this episode. They should bring back that Sheriff's badge for star bakers again, that was a nice little touch.

The show is much better than last year's. Am enjoying and to be honest we watch 15 mi after it had started as fast forward and breaks. Also all of the bakers are head and shoulders above last year's lot. It's going to get better as we move forward.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How Liam was not booted for that watery jelly I do not know

maybe it was close between him and James, and previous weeks came into it? He has been stronger generally than James (who nearly went last week).

I think he could have gone, but it would have been a shame.

Preezy

It's definitely losing its appeal. The wife and I had it on last night but found ourselves getting a bit bored towards the end, ended up switching off early.

It's like any TV show though, eventually it gets a bit samey and stale.

Zalasta

In regards to the new hosts, I wonder if they will be allowed to develop their own rapport or if they will be forced to imitate Mary and Sue in an effort to keep things familiar. What worked for one (the innuendos and the humor) may not work for the other, so I hope they are allowed some kind of freedom in their banter and interaction with contestants.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
In regards to the new hosts, I wonder if they will be allowed to develop their own rapport or if they will be forced to imitate Mary and Sue in an effort to keep things familiar. What worked for one (the innuendos and the humor) may not work for the other, so I hope they are allowed some kind of freedom in their banter and interaction with contestants.

I imagine the production company won't want them to change anything up too drastically - the show is a carefully crafted formula and they won't want to do anything that will make people think it's worse now it's on another channel. It'll be a gradual process over a few years if anything.

I think they should replace Sandi with a better fit for Noel after this series. They'll never have the right amount of chemistry and Noel seems to be standing out a bit more so far.

berzeli

Banned
Oh thank god Liam wasn't booted. He's too damn adorable.

Can't decide if when Julia realised she could use an electric mixer or Yan's phallic puddings was the best moment though.

Overall, a good episode. I agree with both the star baker choice and the person that went home!

Yeah I agree. The star baker in particular was a very deserving winner given their run in the series so far. I also have warmed to Noel as a presenter a lot more since the first week where he seemed very much ill-at-ease and certainly wasn't representative of him in the series.

Sandi grew on me this episode :)

Sad to see Julia go, would've preferred to see Stacey out TBH after her pie disaster, she even left paper in it!

Ieu

Sad to see Julia go, would've preferred to see Stacey out TBH after her pie disaster, she even left paper in it!

Sandi grew on you? Nah mate, she’s been golden since week one but was also a great week from her.

Weepy Sandi will haunt you.

Cronen

It was definitely between her and Stacey. How she survived after leaving paper in her pie is a mystery.

I felt that Star Baker was between Liam and Yan, and I am glad it was Liam that won it. He had been so close for so long.

Top Bottom