• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Great British Bake Off [BBC1]

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I knew Candice had it as soon as they mentioned the showstopper required multitasking. She's a one woman factory, it's incredible. Looking forward to whatever shows she does next (baking adventure with Jane, please).

Also her squeal when she got the Hollywood handshake was adorable. As were her pug/boyfriend combo.

And I'd rather not dwell on negativity, but I had no idea there was backlash against her until I was reading the "X Should Win" articles on The Guardian. Over the pettiest shit too. Hopefully that's swept away by her win.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Not sure if it's because I knew it was the last one, or I've become a bit saturated to it, but kind of feel, in an odd way, that I was glad that was the last one.

The downward spiral had already started and at some point over the next couple of years it was going to jump the shark.

Although this speech was still the highlight for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNvyfsVfmu8

Didn't have to click the link to know what this was. Compare to this year's "I'm good" speech which was a little underwhelming. Still, I'm happy with who won. Didn't feel like this was the strongest series though, possibly because of the lack of a truly impressive showstopper outside of the gingerbread houses.

mclem

From the Gallifrey Base TV forum (I don't see their source, might well be DigitalSpy): 14M viewers over the full broadcast, peaking with 14.8M. Appropriately for the programme, it's risen every year.

Over half of all the people watching telly at that time were watching GBBO.

mclem

Didn't have to click the link to know what this was. Compare to this year's "I'm good" speech which was a little underwhelming.

I've had a strong impression throughout the series that Candice is her own harshest critic by a long way. Viewed in that light, I think I get what it meant to her... even if she was a bit too overwhelmed to fully articulate it!

I love The Guardian's send-off to the series:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...mel-sue-paul-bbc-a-battered-nation-thanks-you

Nadiya is a hard act to follow. But this year there was also a Ghanaian banker who redefined the word relaxed, like Baloo the bear but sexier. A volatile ex-headmistress in her mid 60s, who is currently planning a trip to Ayia Napa to hit the strip. A Northern Irish aerospace engineer made a symphony orchestra of fondant fancies in little bow ties, which was camper than Glastonbury. A former primary school teacher won Star Baker by making a bread representation of Thor’s mighty pant hammer. And this was a bad year? Have you seen every other show on television? They can’t touch this.

mclem

God, I love the camaraderie these guys have. I've found out that they pretty much all congregated at Selasi's house to watch the final; I've been reading through Kate's tweets from there from last night. That's the party to be at!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
From the Gallifrey Base TV forum (I don't see their source, might well be DigitalSpy): 14M viewers over the full broadcast, peaking with 14.8M. Appropriately for the programme, it's risen every year.

Over half of all the people watching telly at that time were watching GBBO.

That's huge. It's a real shame for the BBC to lose the show as I've no doubt it would continue to gain popularity on the channel, and they've grown it from it's humble beginnings to a ratings juggernaut. It's no surprise that Channel 4 wants it for the popularity it has, it'll be interesting to see if the change of channel, presenters and judge has an impact on that.

Dany

Banned
Candice deserved to win. Her lipstick game was on point. Andrew's shorts were also on point!

edit: Of course Candice has a pug

fenners

I've had a strong impression throughout the series that Candice is her own harshest critic by a long way. Viewed in that light, I think I get what it meant to her... even if she was a bit too overwhelmed to fully articulate it!

Yeah, there's a more in-depth interview with her after the results where she mentions being her own worst critic by far, and how her friends/family are constantly pushing her successes but she won't believe them.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Good news everyone!
BBC Press Office said:
�� Congratulations Candice on winning the #GBBOFinal and to all #GBBO competitors. Bake Off will return for a Christmas special!

Looks like there'll be a two part Christmas special. I'm hoping for a Champion of Champions event with all previous winners. Apparently it was announced back before Breadxit but I must have missed it - BBC have reconfirmed though that it'll be going ahead with Mary, Paul, Mel & Sue. One last hurrah!

Theecliff

Banned
anyone been watching the christmas special?

cmon james
(shoulda won the original series he was in too)
!

aw and a lovely montage to send off the series after the credits on bbc :'(

I like Sandi and think Prue Leith can bring some Berry-esque gravitas and experience to the role, but Noel fucking Fielding!? Mr "Oh I'm so random and zany me, here's a totally random and zany monologue that doesn't relate to the topic at hand in the slightest, because random and zany is inherently funny, right?"

Replacing Mel and Sue with anyone was going to be a challenge, and I'm really not sure about this casting. I mean, Mel and Sue in particular also had a propensity for zaniness, but they also knew when to reel it in a bit.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Sandi got me interested
Noel turned me off

was thinking of noel edmonds
Im gonna watch just to see those two together

berzeli

Banned
I like both Toksvig and Fielding, though the latter in moderation. Will be interesting to see if they can make it work, Mel & Sure were a big part of the charm for me.

mclem

If nothing else, this is a great combo to get people to tune into the first episode to see just what the hell is going on.

Cronen

Just a heads up - the show returns on the 29th August at 8pm. And in case you somehow missed all the news from earlier in the year, it'll be on Channel 4 - not BBC1.

mclem

Fair's fair, initial reports seem quite promising, which is encouraging. Here is the Radio Times (who you'd assume wouldn't be predisposed to approving of it) review of the first episode, but if you want simpler tidbits, here's a list of things that sound about right.

Forgot all about this - then went to the cinema last Friday to see The Dark Tower and there was a 2 minute odd long advert for it involving cakes singing to the Rupert and the Frog Song tune, before the film.

I don't think it's going to be a disaster. Mildly excited.

Orgun

My wife and I took the time to watch bake off during our honeymoon last year so we'll definitely be watching st least the first couple eps of this series to see how it feels

robo

Reports also say it will have the most advert time of any show so far on c4. Approx 17 minutes of adverts during the breaks in total.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Reports also say it will have the most advert time of any show so far on c4. Approx 17 minutes of adverts during the breaks in total.

Are the episodes longer or are we literally getting 17 minutes less of the show per episode for adverts?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I want to at least check out the first episode but there's very little chance I'm going to deal with the 4od player so probably just going to pass on this...

Podge293

Do we have a new thread or rolling with this one?

Noel fielding sounds weird although just came off watching him in the IT crowd so could be that

This seems strange. Familiar but different.
I agree. There's something unnerving about it. You can tell they went to great extremes to try and keep it the same, but the differences are pronounced enough that it doesn't quite work. I'm interested in seeing how the rest of the episode and next episode are.

Top Bottom