• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Great British Bake Off [BBC1]

Cronen

They made the right choice for Star Baker - that cake looked great.

I ended up warming up to Noel and Sandi - although I will say Noel's voice over sounded like he was telling a bed time story. But may improve as it goes on. Will tune in next week.

sammex

Wasn't too bad actually, thought they'd ruin it but although I miss Mel and Sue the baking was still good. Never really cared for Mary Berry.

Noel and Sandi were more Sonic and Knuckles than Sonic and Tails. They were both OK but they felt like two random distinct people in a tent rather than a proper team.

SeanC

As long as Paul is still on it I'm game.

Not sure when this will air in the states but really love the show and watched all the past episodes on a binge with my girlfriend. Impressions seem pretty good.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Have to say the show stopper challenge seemed rather hard for a first week episode. Felt like something that would have been nearer the end in previous series.

Theecliff

Banned
finally caught up and it was... decent? despite my anxieties it felt largely the same. sandi and noel didn't seem like a particularly tight-knitted pair like sue and mel but i guess that was gonna be hard to replicate. seemed almost a bit nervous around the contestants at first but they did start to grow on me and both come across as genuinely nice people. none of the contestants are grabbing me like candice and selasi did at the start of the last series but it's still early days - some of them are definitely showing serious promise.

so yeah, guess i was being overly pessimistic when the change was announced. it seems like there's gonna be some growing pains with the new hosts (and the constant ad breaks are gonna take some getting used to) but other than that it largely felt the same.

fenners

What Theecliff said. They've clearly tried not to mess with the formula, which isn't what I expected at all. I didn't dislike it, I chuckled along at all the right moments, and the process engaged my daughter. And I saw enough of the magic still there to make me keep watching.

Fliesen

Good first episode - a lot of really skilled bakers. Except for that one dude who doesn't know how to make a swiss roll. (instead of whisking up the egg whites with sugar he just dumped them into the batter).

The hosts are charming, but lack a bit of chemistry still.

But as someone who's seen the bastardisation of what German TV does to the format (poppy intro music, oversaturated colors left and right), i'm absolutely enchanted by how much of the 'recipe' they left untouched.

Certainly going to watch this season religiously.

Half the number of viewers as last year's 1st episode?
No matter how much they try to spin it with "it's channel 4" or "we only need 2 million to break even"... losing half an audience is ridiculous... especially considering what else was on the telly last night.

Catvoca

Banned
I thought it felt basically the exact same as it always did. I had to fast forward some ads and Noel and Sandy aren't as immediately appealing as Mel and Sue but I was pleased to see the show is pretty much the exact same as last year.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Noel and Sandi were more Sonic and Knuckles than Sonic and Tails. They were both OK but they felt like two random distinct people in a tent rather than a proper team.

That kind of camaraderie takes a while to build, though. Go rewatch very, very early episodes of Top Gear and watch how Hammond and Clarkson interact. You'd be surprised at how 'distinct' that pairing seems, too.

danowat

Banned
I liked it, felt enough like old bake off, and enough freshness, only thing I didn't like was watching it live, adverts and 75mins runtime.

mclem

Half the number of viewers as last year's 1st episode?
No matter how much they try to spin it with "it's channel 4" or "we only need 2 million to break even"... losing half an audience is ridiculous... especially considering what else was on the telly last night.

It's probably worth keeping an eye on two other sets of figures:

* Whether it builds over the series; in the past, GBBO has done that.
* The +7 and +28 figures that track non-VOSDAL (Viewing On Same Day As Live) numbers. I suspect there will be a few who recorded it so they could skip the ads!

It's interesting that the numbers are very close to the figures for the last BBC2 series. Not sure if it's in any way significant, but it's interesting!

Preezy

Not particularly fond of either Noel or Sandi, their jokes didn't really land and they were quite obviously trying to do the subtle innuendos but that came across a bit try-hardish. But I guess that's understandable, they have to try and keep the beats of the previous series going.

Didn't even mind the adverts, meant I could nip out and get food/drink/cakes and not miss anything.

It's interesting that the numbers are very close to the figures for the last BBC2 series. Not sure if it's in any way significant, but it's interesting!

It shows that BBC2 or C4 could air an interview with Christ reborn and people would probably instead tune into ITV to watch Keith Lemon fart the national anthem.

It shows that BBC2 or C4 could air an interview with Christ reborn and people would probably instead tune into ITV to watch Keith Lemon fart the national anthem.

There is a weirdly high number of people who will not really go beyond BBC One. Like, if a tennis match moves mid-game from BBC 2 to BBC 1, you'll have some people get annoyed, but it'll genuinely rate an extra million or two.

Problem with BBC1 is there seems to be 3-4 million who aren't really watching, whether the TV is just on and they're out or on in the background. I bet you could put a still frame of a dead rat between 8 and 10pm and get 3 million views.

Preezy

Lack of a standout fitty in this series is also a shame. A man cannot live on bread alone, he needs a bit of crumpet too.

mclem

There is a weirdly high number of people who will not really go beyond BBC One. Like, if a tennis match moves mid-game from BBC 2 to BBC 1, you'll have some people get annoyed, but it'll genuinely rate an extra million or two.

Hey, I can understand it, we've all had those days where we just can't find the remote...

I'm way more likely to record and watch C4 mainly because their catch-up service is so bad.

I hear this a lot - can sympathise with it in the past, though, touch wood, I've not got issue with their smart TV app (LG, think it's a Freeview Play one). It seems to actually work.

I must be the only person in the world who has it working reliably enough.

mclem

I'm way more likely to record and watch C4 mainly because their catch-up service is so bad.

It's frustrating, because while All4 is a bit shonky, the sheer range of content available on it is phenomenal. Why yes, I do want to watch Sean's Show from 1992, thank you very much!

eXistor

I've only recently started watching this (my mum was watching it and I got hooked instantly myself). I've only seen 2015 and 16, but I love me some Noel Fielding, so I'm cool with this. No idea who the woman is though, but I'm sure she's fine.

Tregard

Soothsayer
It's frustrating, because while All4 is a bit shonky, the sheer range of content available on it is phenomenal. Why yes, I do want to watch Sean's Show from 1992, thank you very much!

Aghast to find out that the All4 PS4 app doesn't do Live TV. Even the ITV Hub manages it!

oti

Banned
Chocolate hazelnut sponge with a Peanutbutter frosting.

😰😰😰😰

Rooting for science lady Yan though.

The new people are totally fine.

Good first episode - a lot of really skilled bakers. Except for that one dude who doesn't know how to make a swiss roll. (instead of whisking up the egg whites with sugar he just dumped them into the batter).

The hosts are charming, but lack a bit of chemistry still.

But as someone who's seen the bastardisation of what German TV does to the format (poppy intro music, oversaturated colors left and right), i'm absolutely enchanted by how much of the 'recipe' they left untouched.

Certainly going to watch this season religiously.

NEVER MENTION THE GERMAN SHOW EVER AGAIN

Chris R

Are the new hosts popular in Britain? I didn't mind them, but they didn't seem to stand out in any way.

The technical challenge being Ho Hos was nice to see though, simple but requiring precision.

I feel like I shouldn't laugh but me and my friends were chuckling at the slow downfall of Peter.
Whenever he was visible during the baking process he looked like a lost and confused man, he seemed to get glanced over more as the show went on and that finale knife that sank into being like a bizzaro gunblade. poor guy had a rough showing but I'll never forget him.

It's been less than 24 hours and I'm already bored of "Here's Why Bake Off Is SO Much Better On Channel 4" / "Here Are Some Nasty Tweets About Noel Fielding" / "Bake Off Gets Lowest Ratings For Years" / "Bake Off Has Channel 4's Best Ratings For Years!"

The whole joy of the show was that it was reality TV without the stupid drama. Like, in 7 years the most dramatic thing to happen was someone putting their cake in the bin because it melted a bit.

I kinda hate that I'm now turned off of the show because of the stupid TV war politics. I know its something that I just have to get over but it all just feels so...corporate now. Rant over.

berzeli

Banned
Finally watched it and quite liked it, most importantly it felt like Bake Off.
I will however say that Mary Berry>>>Prue Leith

kharma45

Finally watched it and quite liked it, most importantly it felt like Bake Off.
I will however say that Mary Berry>>>Prue Leith

I was reading more into Prue, didn't realise she had a Michelin star at one point in her career. I think people of a certain generation know her well, my parents seemed to when I was speaking to them about Bake Off. I hadn't seen much of her before this.

I haven't watched this yet but glad to read that they haven't messed with the formula. I will miss Mel & Sue but not too bothered about Mary Berry, as someone else said.

Honestly, I'm surprised the BBC hasn't launched their own bakery programme hosted by Mel, Sue & Mary. It seemed like such an obvious opportunity to retain a lot of the Bake Off audience.

jelly

It actually wasn't that different and I quite like the Mary Berry replacement. The hosts are okay, distinctly separate although maybe that will change and the sexual innuendo was a bit on the nose than usual which takes the fun away. The showstopper had seriously amazing cakes and this was only day one. Don't think I would watch it live because of adverts though, that goes without saying for most things.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
It actually wasn't that different and I quite like the Mary Berry replacement. The hosts are okay, distinctly separate although maybe that will change and the sexual innuendo was a bit on the nose than usual which takes the fun away. The showstopper had seriously amazing cakes and this was only day one. Don't think I would watch it live because of adverts though, that goes without saying for most things.

Think we'd be the same way - it's reported that it had the most adverts out of any show in Channel 4's history, with about 17 minutes of ads. Ridiculous. I'd heard in advance so recorded it and ended up watching it a little later on so I could fast forward through them. The breaks are about as well placed as they can be, but definitely unwelcome.

Vagabundo

My wife watched a few minutes of it, but turned it off. Seems the change of hosts left a bad taste in her mouth... ~BOOM BOOM>..

Top Bottom